Author Topic: Van Halen Thread v. Where Have All The Good Times Gone  (Read 60275 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Van Halen Thread--Summer 2015 Tour/Jimmy Kimmel Performance
« Reply #455 on: April 03, 2015, 05:43:32 AM »
A fairly extensive interview here:  https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/2/eddie-van-halens-immigrant-take-on-american-rock-n/?page=all#pagebreak

It's a shame the demo idea didn't get up instead of the live album.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #456 on: April 03, 2015, 06:34:34 AM »
Thanks for sharing, this question and response makes me sad, not just for VH, but in general for bands of the past that still make new music (and good music too!)

Q: Is it frustrating that when you play a new song, the audience makes a beer run?

A: It’s kind of a double-edged sword. Thank God we have so many career tunes that people want to hear — songs they grew up on and that bring back memories of where they were and what party they were at and what chick they were with.

That’s what they remember and want to get back to. But at the same time, it would be nice to be able to put out new music that people would give a chance. Maybe 10 years from now stuff off of “A Different Kind of Truth” will be considered classic and people will want to hear those.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #457 on: April 03, 2015, 01:21:07 PM »
He's kind of done that to himself by going 20 years without any new, good music.  He turned them into a nostalgia act, by having all of their good music be from the past, rather than continuing to create it as he went along.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #458 on: April 03, 2015, 01:22:49 PM »
He's kind of done that to himself by going 20 years without any new, good music.  He turned them into a nostalgia act, by having all of their good music be from the past, rather than continuing to create it as he went along.
Exactly! I'll just quote this because its much kinder than what I was going to say.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #459 on: April 03, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »
Wow, I didn't think Roth would sound that bad, but he sounds pretty bad.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: April 15, 2015, 08:15:01 AM »
If you can survive through Dave's old dad dance moves at the start and some Japanese here and there ,this is a pretty decent piece on VH with modern day interviews with the guys + Ted Templeman etc...

Ted's a bit of a legend - Doobie Bros and then Van Halen  :tup

Long though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OiDGWEG5fIo
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #462 on: April 16, 2015, 12:45:24 AM »
I listenede to it, and to me, it's just Dave being Dave. The band sounds awesome though. Not much to moan about the setlist either, although I'd love Atomic Punk in there.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #463 on: May 24, 2015, 08:37:18 AM »
I'll repost here what I said last night in the hard rock thread :

I decided to listen to A Different Kind of Truth on my travels today - I redid my VH mp3 CD for the car right after I got the mp3s of this CD and just threw the whole thing on there since VH doesn't have so much material to where there wasn't room for all of it - and actually enjoyed most of it.  I still think there are quite a few songs that are missing a vocal hook, but they have enough energy and rockingness to where they still didn't sound bad or anything.  Granted, it's not classic VH is swimming in melodic glory or anything, but many of their songs have like one or two lines that are enough of a hook to where the rest of the song basically being one long rocking guitar solo works.  Source of Infection from OU812 is a good example of this, since that song is basically one giant guitar solo, but the "Love is the source..of infection...woahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!" part is enough of a hook to make it work.

Back to ADKoT, I can say I like it a lot more than I did at first, or even 12 hours ago. :rollin :rollin

The back half of the album is much better than the front half.  The best songs here are The Trouble with Never, Outta Space, Big River and Beats Workin'.

In light of that, I will promote it a bit in my list of VH studio album rankings:

1. Van Halen
2. 5150
3. Fair Warning
4. Balance
5. For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
6. 1984
7. Women and Children First
8. A Different Kind of Truth
9. III
10. OU812
11. II
12. Diver Down
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 08:46:59 AM by KevShmev »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #464 on: May 26, 2015, 06:46:29 PM »
Hmmm, my bump of this thread was apparently a failure. :facepalm:

I'll try again: I've been continuing my VH listening, and I realized today that OU812 is better than I thought.  I still don't care for the two biggest hits from it - When It's Love and Finish What Ya Started - but Black and Blue is a great rocker, Source of Infection is just smoking fun, Feels So Good and Mine All Mine are good tunes, and A.F.U. and Sucker in a 3 Piece are both fairly enjoyable.  I even don't mind the sound of it.  Yeah, the bass is non-existent, but everything else sounds great. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: May 26, 2015, 06:52:55 PM »
I havent listened to VH in some time so Id have to listen through to give a better rankings, but from what I recall:

VHI
VHII
F.U.C.K.
Fair Warning
A Different Kind of Truth
Balance
Woman and Children First
Diver Down
OU812

VH3 (I've only listened to this once or twice and really can't rank this compared to the rest)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #466 on: May 26, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
Hmmm, my bump of this thread was apparently a failure. :facepalm:

I'll try again: I've been continuing my VH listening, and I realized today that OU812 is better than I thought.  I still don't care for the two biggest hits from it - When It's Love and Finish What Ya Started - but Black and Blue is a great rocker, Source of Infection is just smoking fun, Feels So Good and Mine All Mine are good tunes, and A.F.U. and Sucker in a 3 Piece are both fairly enjoyable.  I even don't mind the sound of it.  Yeah, the bass is non-existent, but everything else sounds great. 

I really like 6 of the 10 tracks on the album, but I don't like tracks 1 & 3, or the last two, so it never feels like a good album listening experience for me. And even though I like a lot of the songs, there aren't any clear standouts that I need to listen to. The subpar production also doesn't help.
I'd love for it to get a good remaster some day like the DLR albums have, then maybe I'd listen to it a bit more.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #467 on: May 27, 2015, 08:15:16 AM »
There is a lot of good stuff on that album.  I agree that the production hurts it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #468 on: May 27, 2015, 08:19:46 AM »

Alright! I feel like I'm the only one that likes this album!
Like I said in Brent's thread, When Its Love blows, but I do like FWYS. I actually heard it the other morning on classic rock radio, and I really enjoyed it. I feel like the lyrics are a little icky, but I love the guitar and the Michael Anthony "Baby come on" background vocals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: May 27, 2015, 08:26:17 AM »
I like it Tim - ranked it 2nd in the Van Hagar stuff and 2 or 3 songs from it made my Top 10..   I even used to play AFU in my band back in the day.  :)  It's the last album where I really liked Ed's tone .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #470 on: May 27, 2015, 08:27:12 AM »
Finish What You Started is a great song, I really like it. The guitar playing is very strong and shows that Eddie can do much more than his trademark tapping thing.

Overall OU812 is a good album with Source Of Infection being the weak filler track and When it's Love the cheesy ballad for radio airplay. But if the album had more bass it would have sounded so much better.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: May 27, 2015, 08:30:12 AM »
I guess I am the only one who likes When Its Love, its definitely not top notch and is cheesey, but I enjoy it a lot.  I guess I like those Hagar love songs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #472 on: May 27, 2015, 08:32:03 AM »
I feel like with 5150, the band was to formulaic and it feels forced. OU812 feels the complete opposite,. Very loose.
And with F.U.C.K., it feels like the band finally got serious and made a kick ass record.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #473 on: May 27, 2015, 08:40:40 AM »
I've always found F.U.C.K. to be half great and half boring.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #474 on: May 27, 2015, 09:00:25 AM »
You are right. But I think it's highest highs are Van Hagar's highest highs. There is some suckage on there for sure.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #475 on: May 27, 2015, 09:04:38 AM »
Overall OU812 is a good album with Source Of Infection being the weak filler track and When it's Love the cheesy ballad for radio airplay. But if the album had more bass it would have sounded so much better.

Source of Infection is my favourite thing on there. Definitely not the filler track. :lol

It does have several average tracks, although the good songs on the album are easily among Van Hagar's best rockers too, so it balances out for me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #476 on: May 27, 2015, 09:28:11 AM »
F.U.C.K. is the f*ckin' best thing they have done, at least for the Van Hagar stuff. No weak tracks on there, just two or three that are just good and not great.

Source Of Infection is just not my song, the music does nothing for me and the lyrics are rubbish. Even the Apolitical Blues bonus track is way better. But to each his own.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #477 on: May 27, 2015, 09:53:33 AM »
Out of the Hagar albums, 5150 and Balance are my favorites.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #478 on: May 27, 2015, 09:55:23 AM »
Finish What You Started is a great song, I really like it. The guitar playing is very strong and shows that Eddie can do much more than his trademark tapping thing.

I agree with  the lack of bass in the mix, but sometime ago, seeing a live video of Mine  All Mine (IMO one of the greatest VH songs),I discovered that intro, it's not a keyboard, it's actually the bass with distortion! :omg: Very cool bass line on that song!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:19:56 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #479 on: May 27, 2015, 10:43:05 AM »
I guess I am the only one who likes When Its Love, its definitely not top notch and is cheesey, but I enjoy it a lot.  I guess I like those Hagar love songs.
Nope, I like it a lot, as well.  The one that I can't stand is Why Can't This Be Love.

I feel like with 5150, the band was to formulaic and it feels forced. OU812 feels the complete opposite,. Very loose.
And with F.U.C.K., it feels like the band finally got serious and made a kick ass record.
Not sure how 5150 sounds formulaic.  To me, that is the loosest album that the Hagar lineup made.  Sounds like they are just going for it and jamming out. 

I think ALL of the Hagar albums are kick-ass records.  OU812 is probably my least favorite of that bunch.

Out of the Hagar albums, 5150 and Balance are my favorites.
Same here.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: May 27, 2015, 10:52:26 AM »
Not sure how 5150 sounds formulaic.  To me, that is the loosest album that the Hagar lineup made.  Sounds like they are just going for it and jamming out. 

Agreed.  While I was not listening to the album when it came out (I was just a baby), the album sounds very loose and fresh compared to the albums before it. It also gives off a "fun" vibe IMO.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #481 on: May 27, 2015, 12:57:35 PM »
Inside is pretty loose. I'll give you that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #482 on: May 27, 2015, 05:02:44 PM »
Well, fun is a vibe you pretty much get from VH in general, IMO.

Regarding Carnal Knowledge, as much as I like it, the sound is a bit different for them.  Most of their albums sound very warm, often aided by EVH's classic brown sound, but F.U.C.K. really doesn't. The guitar sound is harder and more edgy, and the drums are very loud and really hit you in the face. 

I guess that is why I am not bothered by the lack of bass on OU812.  The overall sound is, again, very warm, and given the vibe and pace of songs like Feels So Good, Mine All Mine and even Finish What Ya Started, the production really works.  Put those songs on F.U.C.K. with its production, and they probably wouldn't work nearly as well; they'd sound limp and kinda lifeless.  On the flip side, the production still benefits a hard rocker like Black and Blue.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #484 on: May 28, 2015, 05:14:55 AM »

I guess that is why I am not bothered by the lack of bass on OU812.  The overall sound is, again, very warm, and given the vibe and pace of songs like Feels So Good, Mine All Mine and even Finish What Ya Started, the production really works.

I agree.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #486 on: May 28, 2015, 05:55:58 AM »
As long as it creates media attention why should it end? There's a definite plan behind it.

And Roth has problems singing Roth tunes, there's no way he could sing Hagar tunes, so Hagar is not really wrong here.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #487 on: May 28, 2015, 06:07:39 AM »
And Roth has problems singing Roth tunes,
:lol
No doubt.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: May 28, 2015, 06:10:46 AM »
Name me a 60 year old rock/metal singer who doesn't struggle with material from 30-40 years ago.  The only one I can think of is Steve Tyler and perhaps Alice Cooper , whose material isn't the most trying.   Either way he's not alone in that department and tbh I'm not expecting great things from Paul Stanley when I see KISS later in the year. Par for the course.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:16:34 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #489 on: May 28, 2015, 06:18:02 AM »
True. But Alice Cooper couldn't sing in the first place! :lol And I LOVE him.

Actually, the most impressive "old" vocalist still going is Biff Byford.