Author Topic: Van Halen Thread v. Where Have All The Good Times Gone  (Read 60329 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Van Halen Thread--2012 Tour Dates and New Album
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »
Seeing that I never saw them live, I will probably go to the show, just so I can cross it off the list, as long as ticket prices aren't too much.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2012, 02:25:09 PM »
That 2004 "Tour" was an abomination all around.... It was clear they didn't want to be together at that point. Ed was already upset that Mike had pretty much sided with Sammy at that time... So in turn come the easy arguments about royalties etc. I'll say this again... I understand the issues... I've heard it all and read it all. I'm not taking sides cause they ALL caused it IMO. This shit happens in every band and even in families. I'll say this much though, when you have two popular singers and both cant be in the band at the same time you're always gonna have 50% of the crowd ready to complain about anything at any given time.

Where they are now everyone SHOULD be happy. Mike is in a band full of talent with Chickenfoot, Sammy has a superb band with his buddy in the band and Ed has his son playing with him in VH.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2012, 03:24:51 PM »
That's the problem with Ed.  Mike was friends with Sammy and VH wasn't touring so Mike asked it he could go on the road and Ed said no problem except it was.  Ed wasn't honest with Mike at all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, 03:38:12 PM »
I honestly don't like mike much as a bassist. I also will admit to olnot knowing details as to why he is no longer in the band and have probably rushed to judgement. 

I will say this though. I love Hagar. I'm not a huge fan of his solo music, he has some good songs. I very much like his personality. I love his vocals and he's a solid guitarist. I love the work he did with van halen. I also think he is a great performer.

My opinions on mike stem much from the fact that I love Hagar and I didnt like the way Eddie clashed with Sammy and the way mike was treated by eddie either. I will chose Hagar plus mike over Eddie.

Also to add, while I'm not a big fan of like as a bassist, he does have my favorite backing vocals and to me, that was just as large of a part of their success on early album as anything else.

I feel like I am in a minority with these comments, but oh well. I still expect to give the new album a listen and I do hope to enjoy it. I also looked at the dates and will consider seeing them at the garden.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2012, 03:44:14 PM »
And I will listen to it too.  I just didn't like how Ed treated Mike.  That's all. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2012, 08:53:36 PM »
Saw them in 2007 and was extremely disappointed. Eddie was horrible. His guitar playing was laughable. Wolfgang wasn't ready to play shows of that caliber. DLR wasn't that bad, although quite pompous.

I'm not a huge VH fan though, anyways. The first album was great but I never really had the desire to go any further than that, especially after seeing what they have become.  :tdwn Hope the album doesn't such for the fans of the band, but I personally have no interest in it. Seems like one of the bands that would be better off throwing in the towel, along with a most of the older classic rock bands.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »
If everything had stayed together during the Balance era (Eddie stops drinking, etc.) they could have stayed really strong as I loved the Balance album.

Also, Hagar era is my favorite
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2012, 09:19:40 AM »
I knew it wouldn't be long before the complaints about Mike (or any number of other classic VH arguments started). I completely understand most people's feeling on the issue. I HATED not seeing Mike in the band but shit happens... especially in bands. Hell bands today can't keep a line-up together past a couple albums if that.

This particular situation boils down to a rift in the band (both sides to blame for that) and then Ed wanting to play with his son (hard to complain much about that).  Again, I hated they ALL created a situation where Mike wasn't in the band any more but I'd imagine Mike is happy with Chickenfoot and would be happy for the kid....Wolf has certainly developed his natural genetic talents and has his chops down quite well.

How are both sides to blame?  What did Michael Anthony do wrong other than stay friends with Sammy Hagar following the latter's fallout with the brothers?

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2012, 02:47:27 PM »
I really shouldn't have replied earlier as I don't intend to turn this into a VH argument thread (so, so tired of that in VH world). I'll just say that none of us are fully aware of all that has gone on within the band. VH themselves rarely speak on any of the issues. I know what HAS been said but that's only coming from one side, so that in itself says something.

I love Mike and wish he would have remained in the band, I'm just understanding that this kind of crap goes on in every band in some way or another and often times in family. Shit happens. As I stated before, everyone should be pretty happy at this point. Mike's in a great band. Sammy is playing with his buddy in a great band and EVH is playing with his son in VH.

I'm looking forward to good times, good music and maybe some healing going forward. I'll leave it at that....

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:53:54 PM by WebRaider »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2012, 05:03:14 PM »
Chickenfoot is a great band?

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »
Chickenfoot is a great band?

Well, I haven't really listened to their material, maybe I should have said "very talented band". Sammy and Mike, Satriani on guitar and Chad Smith on drums....

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2012, 05:59:20 PM »
Saw them in 2007 and was extremely disappointed. Eddie was horrible. His guitar playing was laughable. Wolfgang wasn't ready to play shows of that caliber. DLR wasn't that bad, although quite pompous.

I'm not a huge VH fan though, anyways. The first album was great but I never really had the desire to go any further than that, especially after seeing what they have become.  :tdwn Hope the album doesn't such for the fans of the band, but I personally have no interest in it. Seems like one of the bands that would be better off throwing in the towel, along with a most of the older classic rock bands.
I'm not sure which band you saw. I saw them on the same tour and enjoyed the hell out of it.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2012, 08:39:56 PM »
I saw Van Halen on the OU812 tour and they played one of the best shows I've ever seen a band play.

That being said...Eddie Van Halen is totally full of shit, and I wouldn't pay a dime to him.

I remember seeing somewhere-I think it was on MTV, one of their last gasps at being able to do music journalism-a series of interviews Eddie and Alex did, one about David Lee Roth leaving the band, one about Sammy Hagar leaving the band, at the time each singer left.

They were identical.

Eddie said the exact same things, practically word for word, about the problems he had with both DLR and Hagar. Alex just sat on the couch beside of him the entire time, not saying a word, nodding and yes-manning. Eddie Van Halen lives in a delusional little world, where he is the victim of everyone else, and he would be doing just fine if those asshole singers wouldn't fuck shit up for him. Booting Michael Anthony out of the band was low, and, no, Michael Anthony didn't do a damn thing wrong.

The man who wrecked Van Halen was Eddie Van Halen. That simple. And if this album happens to be any good, I'll be the first person to admit it. But I won't buy it, or tickets to see the band. Eddie doesn't deserve my money.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2012, 09:01:25 PM »
From what I've heard, Alex is the quiet manipulator and tells his brother what do to. That being said, Alex is my favorite band member and from what I hear nowadays is that Alex is the nice guy. Eddie seems cool now too.

My least favorite member of Van Halen was their manager in the Balance era. After their former one Ed Leffler died (which essentially destroyed the group), they brought in Ray Danniels... Rush's manager. What a backstabbing loser that guy is. It's evident on the Rush documentary as well, when on the bonus features, Geddy discusses how Ray wanted to kick him out of the band in the early days. He tries to deflect the question and avoid it. It's really awkward but telling of his asshole persona.

Anyways, here is a cool video of Van Halen visiting a teenage fan in the hospital on the 5150 tour. The kid died two months later. Everyone seems REALLY down to earth in this video. Including Eddie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGoYa8BdXbI
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »
I saw Van Halen on the OU812 tour and they played one of the best shows I've ever seen a band play.

That being said...Eddie Van Halen is totally full of shit, and I wouldn't pay a dime to him.

I remember seeing somewhere-I think it was on MTV, one of their last gasps at being able to do music journalism-a series of interviews Eddie and Alex did, one about David Lee Roth leaving the band, one about Sammy Hagar leaving the band, at the time each singer left.

They were identical.

Eddie said the exact same things, practically word for word, about the problems he had with both DLR and Hagar. Alex just sat on the couch beside of him the entire time, not saying a word, nodding and yes-manning. Eddie Van Halen lives in a delusional little world, where he is the victim of everyone else, and he would be doing just fine if those asshole singers wouldn't fuck shit up for him. Booting Michael Anthony out of the band was low, and, no, Michael Anthony didn't do a damn thing wrong.

The man who wrecked Van Halen was Eddie Van Halen. That simple. And if this album happens to be any good, I'll be the first person to admit it. But I won't buy it, or tickets to see the band. Eddie doesn't deserve my money.

I kind of always felt that Eddie was essentially an asshole with a huge ego.  While it probably lead to the almost demise of Van Halen a few times, it hasnt and probably wont mean I wouldnt like his music.... I still listen to Metallica even though I hate Lars.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2012, 10:57:50 PM »
Just heard all of Tattoo.  Pretty mediocre.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2012, 11:29:47 PM »
Absolutely.   This gets a huge MEH from me.   It's not bad...it's just.....SAFE.   I mean...yeah, just "SAFE"...   Not the "WOW! VAN HALEN IS BACK!" that I was hoping for.

And this comes from someone who really thought both "Me Wise Magic" and "Can't Get This Stuff No More" were brilliant, and really proved they could still make amazing music with DLR.

This doesn't even touch that.  A very ho-hum track.  I hope the rest of the album is better.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2012, 11:45:15 PM »
Just heard the song. The chorus is weak as piss, but aside from that it's a pretty decent song. I hope it's not indicative of the rest of the album, or one of the better tracks, but it's definitely not bad. Still a song I'd listen to as part of the whole album.
Reminds me more of mid 90s VH or solo DLR than typical VH.

Also, DLR is sounding really good considering. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2012, 01:43:25 AM »
Did not like that at all.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2012, 02:26:35 AM »
New song was quite underwhelming upon first listen.  I really hope all songs aren't in the mid-tempo range like this one.  Decent song I guess, but nothing more.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2012, 06:01:19 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfQ-hV3WtA&feature=player_embedded

Well there it is. Is it a good start for a band who has much to prove?
First off, I hear some people I've talked to complaining its too pop? Has anyone ever listened to Van Halen before? Jump...Pretty Woman...Dance the night away......
Van Halen was never exactly Slayer.
Anyhoo, its not bad. Its not a world beater for a first single if you want to blow peoples minds but its cool.
It is disappointing to hear they tapped into a song they played back in 78 as there first single. That doesn't exactly paint a picture of inspiration for there creative juices in 2012.
I will keep an open mind and see what comes but I'm not expecting anything earth shattering based on a first song that was written over 30 years ago. Not a great sign.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2012, 06:05:01 AM »
Tattoo isn't an old song as far as I'm aware. "She's the Woman" is though. Tattoo sounds nothing like old era VH to me. It sounds more like >90s era VH/DLR to me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2012, 07:04:20 AM »
I think tattoo is pretty solid.   

If anything, it has made me interested in hearing the rest of the album.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2012, 07:10:14 AM »
Tattoo isn't an old song as far as I'm aware. "She's the Woman" is though. Tattoo sounds nothing like old era VH to me. It sounds more like >90s era VH/DLR to me.
I read they were playing it on stage back in 78. It was rewritten a bit.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2012, 07:12:50 AM »

Are you sure you're not getting confused with She's the Woman? I haven't heard anything about Tattoo being an old song, and many articles about this single are mentioning She's the Woman, as they played it their recent club show.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2012, 07:14:50 AM »
Tattoo is one of the worst rock songs i've ever heard, wtf has happened to this band????

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2012, 07:16:26 AM »
Tattoo is one of the worst rock songs i've ever heard, wtf has happened to this band????

That's either hyperbole, or you don't listen to much rock. There is much, much worse out there.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2012, 07:17:22 AM »
cant get on youtube here, i cant wait to hear it. is it a musical equivalent to indiana jones 4?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2012, 07:28:21 AM »
Nope...I'm hearing more and more reports that it's not just She's the Woman....most, if not all of the album is re-worked old stuff. 

Sorry, don't have a source at the moment.  Too early....   But I'm sure about Tattoo.  It's a re-worked version of an old song called "Down In Flames"...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2012, 07:34:25 AM »
Nope...I'm hearing more and more reports that it's not just She's the Woman....most, if not all of the album is re-worked old stuff. 

Sorry, don't have a source at the moment.  Too early....   But I'm sure about Tattoo.  It's a re-worked version of an old song called "Down In Flames"...

I just checked it out on Youtube. Progression sounds the same, and the riffs very similar, although the vocal melodies and structure seem entirely different to me.
Reworked or not, it sounds sufficiently rewritten to me. It just doesn't sound at all like the style of a 70s/80s VH song to me.

I'd love to hear a source on anything else too. I'm not familiar with their demos, just all of the studio recordings. :tup

Offline jammindude

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2012, 07:39:24 AM »
For all of EVH's bragging about how much stuff he's been writing over the last 15 years....this just seems like a pretty lazy move.   If the stuff he's been writing since 3 has been so "killer"...why make an album of re-written demos from the 70's that never made the cut in the first place?   :huh:

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2012, 08:31:50 AM »

Are you sure you're not getting confused with She's the Woman? I haven't heard anything about Tattoo being an old song, and many articles about this single are mentioning She's the Woman, as they played it their recent club show.
Yup, I'm sure. Their is more then one oldie on the record.

also, when is Wolfie no longer going to look 12 years old?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2012, 08:34:14 AM »

jammindude's evidence already supported you on that. :tup

And that kid is never going to look more than 15 between the baby fat and that haircut. :lol

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2012, 08:37:20 AM »

jammindude's evidence already supported you on that. :tup

And that kid is never going to look more than 15 between the baby fat and that haircut. :lol
I was thinking when I watched the video he was going to look like a man at this point. Ummm...nope.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2012, 09:15:39 AM »

I'm not sure which band you saw. I saw them on the same tour and enjoyed the hell out of it.

I am with ZBomber here. Saw them on the 2007/2008 tour and was extremely disappointed between Eddie's sloppy playing and DLR's muted presence. Having seen DLR solo when he co-headlined with Hagar, DLR was much more animated and owned the stage that night. When he was with Van Halen, it was as if he was told explicitly to tone it down to ensure that Eddie was not upstaged or overshadowed.