Author Topic: Dead guy gets sued over his flying body parts  (Read 3787 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Dead guy gets sued over his flying body parts
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »
I just like to go out on a limb every now and then.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 03:29:57 PM »
Where's LeTrains to weigh in on this?  :biggrin:

7String made a great point that I was going to make, so I'll just quote him:

Yeah, this is like if someone gets into a car wreck for say texting and driving and the driver dies but injures a pedestrian in the process.  That stupid move got the driver killed, but also injured a pedestrian so that pedestrian could sue the dead driver.  It's the same idea.  Just because the person died does not make them not responsible for their actions while alive.

Regardless of his intentions, his action directly led to the harm of another person.  If he has nothing, so be it.  But you might as well as try to hit up the responsible party/parties for medical bills and lost wages.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2012, 03:32:30 PM »
I just like to go out on a limb every now and then.

I'd give an arm and a leg if you stop making puns like that.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2012, 03:35:56 PM »
5 days in and we've already got a candidate for best news article of the year.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2012, 03:40:14 PM »
Yeah, this is like if someone gets into a car wreck for say texting and driving and the driver dies but injures a pedestrian in the process.  That stupid move got the driver killed, but also injured a pedestrian so that pedestrian could sue the dead driver.  It's the same idea.  Just because the person died does not make them not responsible for their actions while alive.

I thought about this and as I said before, I understand the logic behind it but I think the law also takes ethics and moral. At least in my point of view, someone driving a motorized vehicle has a great responsability because it is very easy to injure or kill someone with it. I think this case is very different because he was reckless but he was running trying to catch a train and I would understand for example if the guy had tripped the lady while doing it and she was injured by that. But in this case he got run over by a train (because he was reckless) and his flying bosy ended up hitting the old lady. I think there should be a difference.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
Unsurprisingly, this was on Gawker a few days ago.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012, 03:52:23 PM »
Well, yeah, but that's no reason to fall to pieces.

bosk, keep it together man!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »
Sorry.  I just feel like I've been through a meat grinder lately.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2012, 03:58:01 PM »

I thought about this and as I said before, I understand the logic behind it but I think the law also takes ethics and moral. At least in my point of view, someone driving a motorized vehicle has a great responsability because it is very easy to injure or kill someone with it. I think this case is very different because he was reckless but he was running trying to catch a train and I would understand for example if the guy had tripped the lady while doing it and she was injured by that. But in this case he got run over by a train (because he was reckless) and his flying bosy ended up hitting the old lady. I think there should be a difference.

Well he was running across train tracks, which I don't think is legal while a train is coming.  It's probably not legal to walk on train tracks ever, but I'm not really sure on that.  Either way, he was reckless and was doing something he should not have been doing and as a result a woman was injured.  As far as him dying, that plays no part in the lawsuit aspect of this.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2012, 04:10:01 PM »
Sounds like this could up costing the guy's parents an arm and a leg.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2012, 04:11:31 PM »
Well you know they will throw their whole self into defending this either way. 
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2012, 04:23:14 PM »

Well he was running across train tracks, which I don't think is legal while a train is coming.  It's probably not legal to walk on train tracks ever, but I'm not really sure on that.  Either way, he was reckless and was doing something he should not have been doing and as a result a woman was injured.  As far as him dying, that plays no part in the lawsuit aspect of this.

The article doesn't say that he was running on the tracks. For what I take he was crossing the tracks trying to get to the train coming the other way and didn't bother to look if another train was also coming. It was reckless but I don't think it was irresponsible.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2012, 04:26:46 PM »
The article doesn't say that he was running on the tracks.

Quote from: The Article
The 18-year-old almost-passenger ran in front of a train
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2012, 04:31:32 PM »

The article doesn't say that he was running on the tracks. For what I take he was crossing the tracks trying to get to the train coming the other way and didn't bother to look if another train was also coming. It was reckless but I don't think it was irresponsible.

Oh really?  It wasn't irresponsible to run in front of an oncoming train?  He's dead.  His actions caused him to be dead.  That's as irresponsible as it gets.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2012, 04:37:13 PM »
It was reckless but I don't think it was irresponsible.

I guess I'm having trouble seeing the difference here.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 05:02:39 PM »
It was reckless but I don't think it was irresponsible.

I guess I'm having trouble seeing the difference here.

That's because there isn't. In fact, under most definitions, reckless IS apart of the definition of irresponsible.

But I'm sure you knew that.

This thread has just lost its head completely. (This ends the entire point in which I came into this thread. Thank you. I've never ever used a pun. It felt good)

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 05:06:27 PM »
Guys, the jokes are tasteless. Imagine how torn up the family is?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 05:25:08 PM »

Running along tracks ≠ running in front of a train.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 05:30:28 PM »

Running along tracks ≠ running in front of a train.

As far as I can see, no one mentioned running ALONG tracks.  I was only clarifying that he did run ON the tracks - which he obviously did.  It'd be difficult to run in front of a train without running on the tracks.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2012, 11:14:09 AM »
Not as torn up as him.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2012, 11:22:37 AM »
Shouldn't Amtrak be paying? They killed the kid, after all.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »
Technically not, but in what world are they thinking it's a good idea to make people walk across a train track to get to another?

What happens to the belongings on an 18 year old, who I'll assume didn't have a will? His parents inherit his stuff? Just pay for the medical bills and nothing more. If the lady wants more than that she's a jerk.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »
Are you fucking serious? This is incredibly stupid.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2012, 12:19:45 PM »
Not as torn up as him.

This is simultaneously the worst and best post.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »
Technically not, but in what world are they thinking it's a good idea to make people walk across a train track to get to another?

That's not entirely uncommon (nor is specific to Amtrak), especially at smaller stations. The local metro station here just has a crosswalk across the tracks if you need to get to the one going the other direction.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »

That's not entirely uncommon (nor is specific to Amtrak), especially at smaller stations. The local metro station here just has a crosswalk across the tracks if you need to get to the one going the other direction.
But do trains pass through at 70mph?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »
Yes. Or...well in my experience, I haven't been at a station where trains go 70mph, but commuter/freight trains will pass at full speed.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2012, 02:07:37 PM »
Not as torn up as him.

This is simultaneously the worst and best post.

That's what I meant by torn up in the first place.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »

It doesn't say whether there was any protection at the crossing, but regulations (that are common throughout the rest of the world) allow speeds of 100-125 mph through level crossings.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2012, 02:24:04 PM »

It doesn't say whether there was any protection at the crossing, but regulations (that are common throughout the rest of the world) allow speeds of 100-125 mph through level crossings.

They have level tracks at most of the Amtrack stations here, just most of us who are not suicidal have the presence of mind not to go in front of a multi-ton train moving at high speed.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2012, 03:26:34 PM »
If there are multiple tracks, it's pretty much a given that you'll have to cross at least one track to get to the others.  The only way to avoid that is to have bridges going over or tunnels under them or something, which just isn't practical in smaller stations.  Or most larger ones, for that matter.

Every train station I've seen has signs and sometimes red flashing lights where you cross one track to get to the other(s).  If a train was coming through there at speed, anybody paying any attention at all knew about it.  If this guy still managed to run in front of it, he either thought he could beat it, or really didn't know it was coming, but for the second case to be true, he simply was being completely ignorant of his surroundings, and I'm sorry but that's his own damned fault.  We haven't heard anything about malfunctioning warning lights or anything.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »
only in jamaica
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2012, 04:48:23 PM »
Most of my train experience was in Europe, but I don't recall a single level grade crossing over there.  Even the smallest stations had tunnels to get you to the platforms. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »
Most of my train experience was in Europe, but I don't recall a single level grade crossing over there.  Even the smallest stations had tunnels to get you to the platforms.

Depends.  On main lines, they would be pretty rare, simply because of the volume of traffic.  On regional or branch lines, pedestrian level crossings are quit common.  Frequently it's because it's cheaper to build a platform in the middle of a double-tracked line, rather than two platforms.  Also because for low-traffic stations separating pedestrian flow would not be cost-effective.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2012, 05:07:37 PM »
Hey, can you guys list each and every single station on Earth and categorize them by which ones have crossings and which ones have underpasses and/or bridges? I wanna know

really

really

bad.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.