Author Topic: Zantera's top 50 albums (Finished!)  (Read 24144 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Zantera's top 50 albums (If you follow this I love you)
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2012, 01:16:05 PM »
Before I post the last album and my number 1, I would just like to thank everyone who has followed the list, and I really hope that someone has found a new artist or band to check out, and if you happen to like something feel free to share that experience. :)
Some people have already guessed it, and I guess the choice wasn't completely shocking for the people who know me somewhat, so here you have it, my favorite album of all time:

1. Oceansize - Frames (2007)

The first time I heard Frames was back in ~08 I believe. While the first song, "Commemorative 9/11 T-Shirt" sounded really cool, the music on the album did nothing for me. I don't particularly blame it, at the time I was listening to a lot of metal and hadn't quite gotten into Progressive music yet, which eventually became my bridge over to more mellow stuff, and stuff that isn't "just" metal. Scared off by that initial reaction, I didn't really think much about the band for almost 2 years, and it wasn't until 2010 that I checked the band out, but then it was their newest album; "Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up". While I loved the three other albums immediately, I was still a bit afraid of checking out Frames. I remembered the not-so-good first spin I had, and even though it was 2 years prior, I guess I was afraid that I wouldn't like it.
The album took a few spins to click, but it's such a massive grower, and I can find new things to love about the album with each listen. While "Effloresce" and "Everyone Into Position" were two masterpiece-albums, this album is just the band's big album, the most mature in terms of songwriting, it has the best songs, the best flow, and is a modern classic.
The album takes you on a journey from start to finish, with the 8 songs it has, it offers a lot of variety and the band displays several parts of their sound, everything from the more progressive and technical "Commemorative 9/11 T-Shirt", to the more heavy and Meshuggah-inspired "Sleeping Dogs and Dead Lions", to the doomy and atmospheric "An Old Friend of the Christy's", to the title-track, and quite possibly one of the most beautiful songs ever written; "The Frame".
The album has so many different aspects that speak to me, it has all the variety and dynamics I could ask for in music. Progressive songs? Check. Heavier songs? Check. Mellow and beautiful songs? Check. An instrumental? Check. There are several sections on this album that would qualify as the best musical moments the band has done, the harmony vocals in "Trail of Fire", the strings in the outro to "Savant", the part in "Commemorative 9/11 T-Shirt" where the drums kick in, adding an awesome groove to the song, or the amazing outro to "The Frame".
The band really managed to peak with this album, while their other 3 albums are also very high up among my favorites, this album has that little extra bit which makes it so forged into my first spot. The whole band is performing at their best on this album, and Mike Vennart's singing in particularly has never been so diverse on their other albums. He sings clean with a great range and variety, and he also does more groovy vocals on "Sleeping Dogs and Dead Lions", really fitting into the song.
I honestly can't understand how I didn't care for this album initially, while it was over 3 years ago I first heard it, now I just want to travel back in time and slap myself in the face.  :lol

Favorite songs: Commemorative 9/11 T-Shirt, Trail of Fire, Savant & The Frame.

Thanks for following!  :heart

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Zantera's top 50 albums (Finished!)
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »
Kind of schizo at the end there.  Agolloch, then Radiohead.  BtBaM, then Sigur Ros.

I really haven't been into mellow stuff for a while, but I can't argue with most of your heavier picks.  Colors, Ashes, BE...all great albums.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2012, 01:23:21 PM »
Still callin Frames for #1- do I get a cookie if I'm right?

So about that cookie...

Great album, absolutely love it!  STOP TRYING TO KEEP YOUR COMPOSURE, I'M ONLY HAVING  A LAUGH...

Great list all around Zantera, a lot of my faves are on there and a few artists I need to check out now- Amplifier being chief among them.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2012, 01:24:49 PM »
Yeah sure, I'll mail a box of cookies or something. But that will make me poor seeing as a few people called it.  :lol
Oh yeah, check out Amplifier! :)

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2012, 01:29:31 PM »
Great list, most of the artists are either favorites or bands I want to check, so this thread will definitely be helpful when I get around to listening to new stuff.

Congratulations and thanks for the good writeups!

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2012, 01:36:02 PM »
interesting list. so far, the only band i hadn't heard before that i've now given a shot is Amplifier. that self titled sounded really good right away (given it 3 spins so far)...tried their newest one last night. only listened to the first disc. it was...i dont know...different. seemed less tool-esque, anywayz.

oh, and i'm checking out some oceansize on youtube right now. i feel like i've heard a few songs of theirs before but have never really explored them. im spinning commemorative 9/11 t shirt. i give it a  :tup (actually, musically, this also has something of a tool vibe. at least to me, it does.) (insta-edit: actually, even vocally it does at parts).

Offline Bongasti

« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2012, 02:10:42 PM »
Definitely a nice list. I'll check out at least The Pineapple Thief and Oceansize, they seem quite interesting.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2012, 02:17:12 PM »
Kind of schizo at the end there.  Agolloch, then Radiohead.  BtBaM, then Sigur Ros.

Or, you know, extensive and open-minded music tastes.

Definitely a good list :tup

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2012, 02:18:44 PM »
Definitely the most shocking #1 pick ever, totally didn't see that coming.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »
Frames.  A great #1.  Great list Zantera.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2012, 02:57:53 PM »
Love the list, many acts I enjoy immensely and some new ones for me to check out! :tup

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #186 on: January 13, 2012, 03:27:22 PM »
Awesome list Zantera!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2012, 03:38:54 PM »
Cool list.  :tup

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »
I enjoyed the list Zantera! I'm almost done finishing the write-ups on my list so I'll be checking out Amplifier asap.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #189 on: January 14, 2012, 02:58:07 AM »
Really cool list. Now I'm motivated to check out pre-"Self Preserved..." Oceansize, and judging from your write-ups I should definetely check out Amplifier, The Alchemy Index and "Lift Your Skinny Fists..", maybe even some Pendulum (even though that's about as far away from what I usually listen to as elephants from birds.)

Offline jag66

« Reply #190 on: January 14, 2012, 03:13:26 AM »
Really cool list. Now I'm motivated to check out pre-"Self Preserved..." Oceansize, and judging from your write-ups I should definetely check out Amplifier, The Alchemy Index and "Lift Your Skinny Fists..", maybe even some Pendulum (even though that's about as far away from what I usually listen to as elephants from birds.)

Pendulum do stick out like a sore thumb in the list, they are good though..

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: January 14, 2012, 05:26:23 AM »
Pendulum are quite different indeed, but I do think that they can work as a bridge from Progressive stuff to more Electronic, though I admit I haven't explored much else within Drum and Bass.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: January 14, 2012, 08:13:56 AM »
Really enjoyed your list Zantera, however I could never get into Oceansize

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #193 on: January 14, 2012, 08:16:09 AM »
I really need to listen to Frames.

Great to see BTBAM so high! Fantastic list. :)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: January 14, 2012, 08:30:11 AM »
So glad you have Ashes Against the Grain over The Mantle. It really is a superior album in almost every way.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #195 on: January 14, 2012, 09:38:56 AM »
I'll never understand why people think Ashes is better than The Mantle.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: January 14, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »
It really is a superior album in almost every way.

Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2012, 09:46:06 AM »
OH LOL

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2012, 10:00:44 AM »
While I love The Mantle, the biggest flaws is that I can find it dull at times, because of the huge amount of instrumental songs on it.
Don't get me wrong, they're all beautiful songs, but unless I'm in the right mood, they tend to drag a bit, but Ashes is pretty much flawless.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2012, 01:05:28 PM »
While I love The Mantle, the biggest flaws is that I can find it dull at times, because of the huge amount of instrumental songs on it.
Don't get me wrong, they're all beautiful songs, but unless I'm in the right mood, they tend to drag a bit, but Ashes is pretty much flawless.
I'd say the exact same thing about Ashes

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2012, 05:47:14 PM »
Oh you di'nt.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2012, 05:52:04 PM »
As always, Mantle > Marrow > Ashes
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2012, 09:35:14 PM »
Marrow > Ashes

lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2012, 03:33:06 AM »
I also think Ashes has individually stronger songs then The Mantle. While In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion is awesome (and the best on The Mantle), Ashes has Falling Snow, Limbs, Fire Above & Ice Below etc.

Offline PetrucciFan99

« Reply #204 on: January 15, 2012, 08:17:32 AM »
great list bro

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #205 on: January 15, 2012, 08:59:04 AM »
Ah, the great Agalloch debate.  I knew I'd see you again, dear bruthah!

The Mantle, to me, succeeds because of those long instrumental sections. It is one of the very few albums I own that manages to perfectly create a cold, desolate atmosphere.  The lyrics, the production, the music, all work together in harmony.  It is a beautiful album to listen to.  Even if it's just on 'in the background' it works.  Ashes is a great album, with great songs, but it has yet to recreate that magical feeling that I experience with The Mantle.  Maybe it's because The Mantle was the first Agalloch album I really got into, but to me, Ashes remains 'only' a great album with great songs, while The Mantle is over an hour of perfection.

As for Marrow, a while ago, I would've agreed that it was their weakest, but I listened to it again and it was much, much better, so now I have a hard time ranking it against Ashes.

EDIT: Regardless, any Agalloch is good.  What a fantastic band.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #206 on: January 15, 2012, 09:47:04 AM »
Marrow is a great album, but was slightly a disappointment to me personally. (maybe cause it had to follow up Ashes)
I would probably rank it just below or on par with Pale Folklore, which is also brilliant.

Is this the Agalloch-thread? Oh wait.  :lol