Author Topic: Zantera's top 50 albums (Finished!)  (Read 24145 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Zantera's top 50 albums (If you follow this I love you)
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »
Yeah, I still need to get round listening to that.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline PetrucciFan99

« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2012, 02:45:20 PM »
this list is fucking awesome

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2012, 06:36:42 PM »
Two more awesome picks!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2012, 08:48:34 PM »
Ħ @ Yes I have Cenotaph, it's a rather brilliant album. (top10 for me in 2011)
Anyhow, since I'll be watching TV and slacking later, I thought I would update this slightly earlier then I normally do, so enjoy the next 2 on my list!
Do you have them on vinyl?  I don't think vinyl's necessary in most cases, but it seems like it really would make a world of difference here, since those albums are pretty much all about a vinyl atmosphere.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2012, 02:11:07 AM »
Sadly I have it on cd. I've been meaning to get a vinyl-player for quite a while, but it will probably cost a bit, and I have to wait until the moment is right and I have some extra cash over. I also feel lost in the jungle of LP-players that I have no idea what to get.  :lol
Anyhow, time for another update, here's the next 2 on my list. :)

11. Oceansize - Everyone Into Position (2005)

Up next we have the second album by Oceansize, which is also the final album with Jon Ellis as bass-player. The album in comparison to their other albums is perhaps slightly more accessible, it still sounds very much like Oceansize, but it has a few songs (especially on the first half of the album) that certainly seem to click pretty easy for people. This is also an album where the band started to get some popularity, the song "Meredith" was played in an episode of The O.C, "Music For a Nurse" was featured in the 2007-movie; "The Invisible".
How does this album stand in comparison to "Effloresce" and their other albums? As I mentioned it's slightly more accessible, it doesn't have those short interlude-songs that you can find on the debut, the songwriting is a bit more mature on this album. While the album has more instant "hits" (in lack of a better word) like "The Charm Offensive", "Heaven Alive" and "Meredith", it also has the longer, more epic songs, "Music For a Nurse" is one of the most Post-Rock songs the band has done, and also one of their very best. "Ornament/The Last Wrongs" won't disappoint anyone who likes a long progressive closer.
To me this album is fairly close with "Effloresce" in terms of quality, one day I might prefer this one, another day I might prefer Effloresce, because they are both two very well crafted albums. When I really got into the band (back in 2010), I started out with Effloresce and moved on with this album, and Everyone Into Position probably clicked a bit faster. "Music For a Nurse" became one of my all time favorite songs after the first time I heard it, I just knew it had something special, and it became a tune I listened to quite a lot in the first days. Even despite the clear Radiohead-influence/ripoff with the robotic vocals in "Mine Host", the band still pulls it off beautifully, and the song itself is a nice mix of Post-Rock with the Stephen Hawking-voice. "Ornament/The Last Wrongs" has a quite epic build-up in the first half, and contains several sounds and noises that were recorded in the Amazon-jungle. There are loads of small and interesting factors that makes this album so wonderful for me, but the most important thing is that it's so good musically.

Favorite songs: Music For a Nurse, Mine Host, The Charm Offensive & Ornament/The Last Wrongs.

10. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

Going into my top10, we have possibly the best mix of most pretentious band and album name ever, I'll do us all a favor and just refer to them as "GY!BE" in the text, and the album as "LYSF", otherwise we might have a wall of text on our hands.  :biggrin:
This is a band that I think most people on the forum has heard about now, there was a period of time here on DTF last year when a wave started and many people listened to the band, discussed it, talked about the music in general. Even if you weren't a part of that little group, you still probably heard the name being dropped here and there, and hopefully this write-up can explain why.
GY!BE was a Post-Rock band that released 3 full albums and one EP between 97 and 02, though I may add that they released a demo-cassette thing in 94, and they are active again, but so far only for touring. (though a new album is confirmed to be in the works) They are generally considered one of the BIG pioneers within the genre, what Metallica and Megadeth are to Thrash Metal, what Pink Floyd is for Prog Rock, what Dream Theater is to Prog Metal, GY!BE has an equal status within the Post-Rock scene. The band has a huge following, and it's by no means a surprise that a band like Agalloch has taken loads of influences from this band.
What makes GY!BE special compared to other Post-Rock bands is their music. The majority of their songs are very long, really takes their time to build, and are normally divided into smaller movements. The band utilizes several instruments that you wont hear in other Post-Rock bands, violin is a great example. They have a much more build-up kind of sound, a song can slowly be building for 3 minutes before exploding out in a huge climax, and climaxes are a huge part of their sound.
While I started with their last studio album "Yanqui U.X.O", and then later their debut "F♯ A♯ ∞", it took me quite a while before getting around to "LYSF", which is a bit weird considering it's high status among fans. Generally regarded their best album, and praised by members on the forum, after hearing Ryan and Zack praise this album in the DTF-chat, I decided to check it out.
4 songs - average song length over 20 minutes, interesting. The album and the music is entirely instrumental (as with most Post-Rock), but GY!BE often uses clips from movies and similar things to incorporate into their music, so you can often hear some voice in the background, which gives the sound something a bit haunting.
This album takes a few spins to really get into, but when it clicks...  :hefdaddy "Storm", "Sleep", "Static" and "Antennas to Heaven", these 4 are all amazing songs, and some of my favorites by the band.

Favorite songs: Storm & Sleep.

Next update later today.  :tup

Offline jag66

« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2012, 03:36:27 AM »
I can't decide whether I prefer Everyone Into Position or Frames. Think Frames edges it tho (I expect we'll see a writeup for it soon enough  ;))

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2012, 04:48:25 AM »
Great write-up for GY!BE.

I have to say, I'm really enjoying this list  :tup

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2012, 08:17:01 AM »
Love Lift Your Fists.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2012, 11:14:20 AM »
Hey ho, I thought I would bring the next 2 albums on my list.
Also, why does it feel like mine has gone super quickly compared to everyone else's? The list will be completed on Friday night with my current pace btw. ;)
Anyhow, the next 2:

9. Thrice - The Alchemy Index (2007/2008)

Thrice! The Alchemy Index. The band's most epic release, and also their best. Where to begin, where to begin?
The Alchemy Index is a 4 part-divided album (or whatever you want to call it), with each of these 4 EP's covering one of the basic elements. Fire, Water, Air and Earth. Each EP has 6 songs, in total this little thing has 24 songs. The songs on each EP represents the element not only musically but also lyrically, and there's a very clear "theme" flowing through it. "Fire" for example is quite heavy, has some harsher vocals and is more aggressive in tone, lyrics are about arsonists and other fire-related things. "Water" is more oceanic in sound, keyboards are more in focus, but it's hard to describe how "oceanic" sounds, but when you hear it you will most likely agree with me. There's also some effects which makes the music sound like it's coming beneath the surface (no pun intended), which is quite rad. "Air" is quite possibly the hardest to describe, but it's quite ethereal in sound, very airy, not so much compressed but with a fairly light sound. And lastly, "Earth" is more acoustic and back to basic, simple and fairly mellow.
While I knew about Thrice before I checked this album out (really liked Beggars back then), the whole concept and the idea was the main thing that attracted me to this majestic album. I'm a sucker for ideas like this one, and I think people who appreciated what The Dear Hunter did with The Color Spectrum will appreciate what Thrice has done here. One of the best things about this album is that the 4 EP's are very different from each other, and that all the songs on each EP gives a really nice representation of how the element would sound in music-form.
As you can imagine it's rather hard to pick out a few standout songs from a big thing like this, but I'll do my best here, and have additions from each EP. :)

Favorite songs: The Messenger, The Whaler, A Song For Milly Michaelson & Digging My Own Grave. 

8. Pain of Salvation - BE (2004)

Time for another Pain of Salvation, and their last on this list. Before I start, I would just like to point out the funny thing that about 50% of the band's fanbase doesn't like this album, the other half loves it. Rarely have I come across such a fan-dividing album before, and I must say that it made me very intrigued about the album before I had even heard it.
This album is like most other Pain of Salvation albums very concept-based, while I love concepts on albums I must admit that I haven't quite read up on the concept on this album, but I love it musically and enjoy it lyrically as well. To sum up the story shortly (and I hope I don't get this wrong), it's pretty much about God and his existence, and many of the songs have dialogues and other parts that really add to the story.
This was interestingly enough the last PoS-album I listened to after going through their catalog, and it felt like I had saved the best for last. I already knew "Diffidentia" from The Second Death of (Live-CD), but apart from that it was very much all new to me. It's a very hard album to compare to the band's other albums, while I think that The Perfect Element has some individually stronger songs, the whole journey and experience this album takes me on is something very special. Again, I don't quite know all about the concept, but the different talking-parts are really nice, because they add parts to the album where I can just sort of breathe out, take a new breath and just relax for a few minutes before the next music-part starts.
Without a question, I'd say this is Daniel Gildenlöw's best vocal-performance on a studio album, he gets to cover both softer parts, heavier parts, rapping parts, and it pretty much suits the music beautifully (That scream at the end of Iter Impius!). Another thing I love about this album is that pretty much everyone I talk to about it has different favorite songs on it, which really says something about the quality of the album. And while the "real" songs are the best on the album, I think that a song like "Vocari Dei" which includes lots of phonecalls/prayers from people or well messages to God pretty much. I think it's a nice touch that makes the album more personal and unique, and the voices combined with the background music is pure beauty, and one of the most beautiful songs the band has done IMO. For some reason, the guy who starts talking roughly 50 seconds in sounds like Aviv Geffen for me, and I just imagine his face everything I hear it.  :lol
This album is full of quality-music, and I think that people should maybe try to focus less on the concept at first, and maybe fall in love with the album before they check out the concept behind it.

Favorite songs: Lilium Cruentus, Vocari Dei, Diffidentia & Iter Impius.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2012, 12:11:47 PM »
The last two updates have been nothing short of amazing, the albums as well as the writeups. You manage to include some of my very favourite albums every time. I think once I'm doing my list it might well turn out quite similar to yours  :lol

I'll definitely check out Oceansize and to the last update:

BE  :heart
The Alchemy Index  :heart :heart
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Ħ

« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2012, 12:19:42 PM »
I've tried BE about a thousand times, and I kinda hate it.  Sorry. :lol

But I've tried that Thrice album only once, and everyone says it's great, so that's going on my list right now!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2012, 12:45:39 PM »
Yes, do that. And buy it..

thrice.
:neverusethis:
Squ

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2012, 12:47:09 PM »
RADIOHEAD

GODSPEED

THRICE

:heart

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
I go back and forth on that "Be" album.  Sometimes I really enjoy it, other times, it seems kind of dull

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
I love BE so much, it was my first PoS album  :heart

Offline Index

• I Can Float Here Forever
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2012, 03:25:57 PM »
Whoa man suh-weet update. All of those are amazing albums, man especially BE and Alchemy Index. I can't wait to see what your no. 1 pick will be.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2012, 03:27:17 PM »
I feel an Ulver album will come up soon enough. Which is obviously a good thing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2012, 03:26:18 AM »
Ħ @ Yeah, as I mentioned "BE" doesn't really seem to be for everyone. Some people hate it, some people love it. I think it's weird. But I honestly think it's more weird when people who love the rest of PoS´ catalog hates "BE", cause musically it isn't that different. :P
Gorille @ You could be right. ;)
I thought I would update with the next two albums on my list, these two are drastically different from the previous couple of updates, and will be slightly different compared to what's to come. But hey, what's a list without diversity right?

7. Pendulum - Hold Your Colour (2005)

Next up on my list we have Pendulum's debut-album, "Hold Your Colour" which is also my favorite album by the band. Since the album is generally a mix of Drum and Bass, breakbeat and electronic rock, I understand that it might not be for everyone on the forum.
I first heard Pendulum back in '08 when a friend sent me "Propane Nightmares" (which isn't on this album), but the song made me interesting enough, so I decided to check the band out. This albums is not just consistently great, it also has a couple of the band's best songs, the title-track is IMO their best song, it also has some really great ones like "Girl in the Fire", "Plasticworld", "Another Planet" and "Still Grey". (though on the re-issue the latter two are replaced with Blood Sugar and Axle Grinder)
The music is mostly instrumental, while there are several songs that features vocals, I'd say the songs are maybe 50/50 split between instrumental songs and songs with vocals, but the band also uses a lot of movie-samples and similar things in their music, the beginning of "Fasten Your Seatbelt" has a line from Doctor Octopus in Spider-Man 2 for example.
The album is considered by many to be a classic within the Drum and Bass-scene, the album features some of the band's most known songs, like "Slam", "Tarantula" and "Blood Sugar" (if you have the re-issue). While this type of music isn't for everyone, I got into it surprisingly easy, and while it has always been on my list to check out more Drum and Bass-music, I have never really done it. I don't know why, lack of recommendations perhaps. But what I do know is that Pendulum is my fifth most scrobbled band on lastfm, and that really says something. Sometimes I like to have what I call "Pendulum-Fridays", like the name suggests it's pretty much a Friday where I listen heavily to Pendulum to get extra psyched for the weekend, and it normally works like a charm.  :lol I also think the album has a certain "progressive"-touch over some songs, and if you look at latter albums by the band, it's even more clear. But Rob Swire (singer, main-writer, brain behind the band) himself has stated that Porcupine Tree is a band he really loves, so yeah.. maybe some influences here and there, buried deep in the music.

Favorite songs: Hold Your Colour, Another Planet, Still Life & Plasticworld.

6. Ulver - Perdition City (2000)

Marc was certainly onto something when he suggested Ulver was on my list, and here they are! ;) Ulver is a quite impossible band to explain for someone who hasn't heard them at all, if people think Opeth did a 180 with Heritage, Ulver is gonna shock you even more.  :lol The band started out as a pure Black Metal-band, released two albums that are both pretty kvlt in the Black Metal-scene. Their second album however (between the two Black Metal-ones) was pretty much a pure Folk music-album with acoustic guitars and not so much metal, so already then they were trying stuff. "Perdition City" is the band's fifth studio album, and it came out back in 2000. This album is nowhere near the previous albums musically, sound-wise it's a mix of Electronic, Ambient and Avant-Garde, with a few hints of Jazz here and there. Have you ever played games like "Max Payne" or "LA Noire"? This album has a very strong Noire-feeling over it, and I couldn't help but think strongly about Max Payne when I first heard the album, the atmosphere on the album suits a Noire-game (or movie) perfectly.
While the album has it's share of electronic guitars, the album is by no means heavy. It's quite dark and intriguing, lots of electronic landscapes, and you can also hear a saxophone on "Lost in Moments" and "Dead City Centres".
Kristoffer Rygg Garm has become one of my favorite singers, because he can adapt his voice to make it fit music like on this album, but also when they played Black Metal, or on any of their newer albums. If I could say anything remotely negative about this album, it would be that it doesn't have much vocals on it. There's about two songs where Garm sings (Porn Piece or the Scars of Cold Kisses and Nowhere/Catastrophe), the rest of the songs are mostly instrumental but has a lot of sounds here and there. "Dead City Centres" also has a voice speaking and a few screams, all in all that song just SCREAMS noire for me. While some of you might not get my reference, I think the song reminds me loads about that Fun house in Max Payne.
Anyhow, some of the other songs have little vocals, the opener "Lost in Moments" for example, but it's not as much clear singing, compared to the other two songs that has it. Anyhow, this is a very small complaint from my part, I consider this album to be pretty much perfect, one of my favorite albums ever to listen to in headphones at night time, and the top6 spot proves that.

Favorite songs: Porn Piece or the Scars of Cold Kisses, Dead City Centres, Lost in Moments & Nowhere/Catastrophe.

I also realized that we have only 5 left to go, which means that later today we'll be entering my top5. :)

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2012, 05:31:22 AM »
I quite like BE, although it's pretty heavy going at points. Pendulum is a cool band to see on your list, the amount of time I spent raving to their tunes during uni haha

Offline Ħ

« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »
Ulver deserves that spot.  Such a good album.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »
I could also add that I wanted to include more Ulver in my top50 list, but like some other artists, I had to narrow it down as much as possible, but oh well.
Anyhow, will be busy later tonight, so here's the next update, two other albums that are fairly popular on DTF.
Let's enter my top5!

5. Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain (2006)

So first album up in my top5 is Agalloch's third full length, "Ashes Against the Grain" which came out in August in '06. Like the album cover suggests, the album is quite bleak, the black/white/gray contrast is quite obvious, and the album is quite cold, much like the band's other albums. While this isn't your first pick for a warm summer or spring day, it's a perfect album for dark winter days, or just very cold autumn days. As I mentioned in the write-up for "The Mantle", the band's sound is quite hard to explain, but a mix between Post-Metal, Progressive Metal, Doom Metal, Black Metal, Neo-Folk and genres like Ambient and Noise. While many Agalloch-fans are in the "The Mantle is their best album"-group, personally I have always loved this album slightly more. It's a perfectly constructed album, has some killer tunes, and overall has a great mix of awesome metal-riffs and beautiful Post-Rock influenced moments, but also more clean and soft parts. The album also has a quite dark and twisted side to it, which is quite obvious on the closing track, "The Grain", which is almost a pure Noise-track.
To be honest I consider this my all time favorite metal-album, and while there is one pick left on my list that will certainly qualify under the same conditions, that album has it's high spot for other reasons.
"Ashes Against the Grain" is just a perfect album from start to finish, from the echoing guitars in the intro to "Limbs" to the last Noisy tones in "The Grain", this album takes you on a journey, and after an hour you just find yourself completely mangled by it all. When I first got into this album, I listened to it pretty much once every day for the longest time, quality-wise it's THAT good, but it has new elements that pops up, and I can even listen to it today and hear things that I didn't a year ago.
The album has most of my favorite Agalloch-songs, and some of their best musical-moments ever. The outro in "Falling Snow" which is easily on par with the outro to "Deliverance" by Opeth (to name another rad outro), the middle-section leading to the climax in "Fire Above, Ice Below" or John Haughm's shrieks in "Bloodbirds".
Oh yeah, did I mention the album has a 3 part-divided title-track? That alone gives it prog-points enough to make it worth checking out.
An album for people who loves beautiful guitar-melodies, a nice mix between heavier and lighter, Metal that isn't "just" metal, but rather influenced by loads of different things.

Favorite songs: Falling Snow, Limbs & Fire Above, Ice Below.

4. Radiohead - In Rainbows (2007)

Next up on my list, we have a Radiohead milestone album, their seventh studio-album: "In Rainbows". My memories with this album are very tied with my initial experiences with the band, seeing as "In Rainbows" was the first album by the band I checked out, hadn't heard a single song by the band before that. Initially I didn't quite like them, they weren't bad or anything, but coming from a more Progressive-period in my life, it took about 15 spins with this album before I had adjusted somewhat to their style, it was all very new to me. The band went from sort of "why are they so big?" to "why aren't they bigger?" in 2 weeks or so, they clicked so hard after I got through In Rainbows, and I'm very glad that I stuck with it through the initial spins.  :angel:
The album itself is quite mixed, fans of the more rock-oriented Radiohead won't be disappointed with songs like "Bodysnatchers" or "Reckoner", fans of the more electronic sound and piano-songs won't be disappointed with songs like "15 Step" or "Videotape", the album offers a nice variety and quite nicely sums up the band's sound. There's a 2 Disc-version of the album which is almost better then the ordinary version, the main disc is brilliant by itself, but the second disc has several songs that are really good, like "Down is the New Up", "Go Slowly", "Up on the Ladder" and "Bangers and Mash".
This album remains their best album for me, if it depends on the fact that it was the first I heard or not is hard to say, but while Kid A/Amnesiac (ranking it at nr12) are masterpieces in their ways, In Rainbows is a masterpiece in other ways.
For people who enjoy Alternative Rock with influences from Electronica.
While it's almost impossible to narrow it down to a few favorite tracks, I'll do my best. "All I Need" for being beautiful and going all Post-Rock near the end, "Jigsaw Falling into Place" because it's one of their best "hit"-songs (has been played on CSI New York for example), and "Videotape" because Thom Yorke playing the piano and singing is quite possibly the most beautiful thing ever.

Favorite songs: All I Need, Jigsaw Falling Into Place & Videotape.

Top 3 left now.  ;)

Offline jag66

« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2012, 12:06:05 PM »
My guesses for the 2 of the top 3.. One from 2002 & one from 2007?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2012, 12:14:06 PM »
Number 1 is going to be Static Crap - Trippin' On a Rock.

I'm calling it now.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2012, 01:50:54 PM »
ULVER :heart and I love that Radiohead album too! :tup

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »
I hear that Agalloch are a pretty good band.

Online Mladen

« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2012, 02:53:38 PM »
I'm not too familiar with these bands, but Radiohead deserves a  :tup

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2012, 04:03:02 PM »
Cool picks!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #167 on: January 12, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »
Good god, so many good to amazing albums on this list.

Jimmy, I love you.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2012, 06:58:59 PM »
i wasn't expecting the In Rainbows selection after zantera's kid a/amnesiac write up.
sadly, i havent checked out a new release by radiohead since Hail to the Thief came out (i was pretty big into them 10-14 years ago) and i was rather disappointed by it.

could the heavy album in the top 3 be some BTBAM? ...zantera digs that isht i do believe.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2012, 01:51:19 AM »
Some of the guesses are not completely off, as you will notice in this update particularly.
Also good to see that most people seem to enjoy the list, good stuff.
Anyhow, will bring you guys the next two picks now, number 3 and 2 on my list, and save the last one for tonight, hopefully these albums won't disappoint any of you. ;)

3. Between the Buried and Me - Colors (2007)

At the flattering third spot, we have the heavy album I mentioned in the write-up for Agalloch, "Colors" is generally regarded BTBAM's best album, but also a pinnacle in the Progressive Death Metal-scene. (Progressive Metalcore sounds too lame for me)
I've often seen the band compared to Opeth, and while they are both progressive and have harsh vocals, there are quite a few differences to separate the bands. First off, you won't find that many acoustic guitars in BTBAM. Their music is generally heavier then Opeth I would say, while they have clean-parts in almost all songs, Opeth has slightly longer clean-sections (mostly).
While "The Great Misdirect" and "Alaska" are tied for my second favorite BTBAM-album, I feel like "Colors" is the clear winner. It has the perfect balance of heavy/clean, and the band really managed to make a homerun with this album.
The first time I heard this album I was blown away by the heavy stuff on it, it was all so "IN YOUR FACE!", but while the vocals and the band needed time to get into, I felt like it would be worth my time, since I felt that the music had something. Eventually the album clicked really hard, and it quickly started to climb among my favorite albums, and made it up to the top 3.
Sound-wise the album is fairly heavy, while there are cleaner parts on the album, they're more subdued and not as present as the heavy stuff, but still complementing it in a great way. The album has 8 songs, all flowing into each other beautifully, and the album is designed to be like one 65 minute-song, but divided into 8 movements or sections, it's a cool thing that you really start to notice when you've heard it a few times. I think one of the best things about the band and it's clean vocals/sections, is that while they aren't many of them, the ones that are on the album are REALLY good. They really do compliment the rest of the song in an amazing way, and the clean section around 9.40 into "Ants of the Sky" is my favorite section on the whole album, so awesome.  :heart "Sun of Nothing" is another song that has some really good melodic parts in the second half, and the opening-track "The Backtrack" is quite possibly one of the best intro-songs ever made. In about 2 minutes, the song goes from soft to heavy, and it really manages to sum up the band in a great way, the sweeping synths are pretty cool as well.
While the album might be hard to get into initially, I recommend people to stay through the first few spins, I promise that there's something for everyone to discover on this album, and in the best case scenario, someone else might start loving this album as much as I do.  ;)

Favorite songs: The Backtrack, Sun of Nothing & Ants of the Sky.

2. Sigur Rós - ( ) (2002)

Placing in at second place and winning the silver-medal, we have the Icelandic band Sigur Rós´ third studio-album, ( ) also known as just "Untitled". Some pretentious facts about the album before I start: The first 4 songs on the album are more light, more optimistic, the latter 4 songs on the album are more bleak and melancholic. The two half's are divided by a 36 second-silence, the album both opens and closes with a click of distortion. The album is entirely sung in "hopelandic", which is a made-up language consisting of jibberish, it has no meaning. All songs are untitled, while they have small names, they are generally called "Untitled I", "Untitled II" and so on.
These facts can make the album sound very pretentious, and perhaps the whole concept is a bit pretentious. But it's also what made me intrigued in checking the album out when I first got into the band, it sounded very interesting to me. As I wrote earlier, Sigur Rós makes music that is very hard to explain to someone, without playing it for them. A combination of Post-Rock, Ambient and Art-Rock (on this album at least), the album is a very wintery album for me personally. Maybe because of it's white/gray and almost pale cover, it makes me think about bleak and cold landscapes, and it's not really an album I listen to on a hot summer day.
While the lyrics doesn't make any sense (it's more vocals for the sake of being vocals), it doesn't really care for me, because even if they sing it in Icelandic, I won't get what they're singing unless I look it up, so there's not much of a difference. Musically it contains some of the most beautiful music I know, "Untitled III" is one of the best instrumental-songs ever written for me, such a beautiful music-piece that has been featured here and there, but I remember hearing it in one of the episodes for the TV-show Skins.
The music takes me on an emotional journey that seems to touch the deep corners of my soul, while the first half contains some of their most beautiful music, the second half is packed with more depressive music and haunting music, "Untitled VII" is my favorite Sigur Rós song, and quite possibly my favorite Post-Rock song ever. This album is nothing short but perfect, and I guess the only downside would be that it's pretty much a seasonal-album for me, and I can't possibly play it during the spring or summer for example. Still, that might also be a good thing, cause it makes me appreciate the album even more the times I spin it, and while I've heard it so many times by now, it still continues to grow for me.  :heart

Favorite songs: Untitled III, Untitled VII & Untitled VIII.

Only one album left now.  :omg:

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2012, 02:57:27 AM »
( ) is amazing! Great pick. Haven't heard any BTBAM.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2012, 03:08:35 AM »
You already know I love Colors. My favourite metal album of all time. It really is something absolutely special.
SLEEEEEP ONNNNN, FLLLYYY ONNNNN

(  ) is cool too, but I've not got into it as much as Colors

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2012, 03:44:40 AM »
IN YOUR MIND, YOU CAN FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Ahh, brings back memories. I should listen to it again, it was been too long.
Squ

Offline jag66

« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2012, 06:17:56 AM »
My '2002' guess was ()  :tup. I prefer agaetis byrjun but () is still amazing. And my other guess looks solid for #1 :)

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2012, 10:09:19 AM »
Two more classic albums!  :tup

And what do you mean the lyrics on ( ) don't make any sense?  "Eee sigh a-looow..."  doesn't make any sense to you?  Open up your mind dude  :P

Still callin Frames for #1- do I get a cookie if I'm right?