Author Topic: Zantera's top 50 albums (Finished!)  (Read 23947 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Zantera's top 50 albums (Finished!)
« on: January 04, 2012, 07:02:02 AM »
Hello everyone!
I've been looking forward to this list for quite a while now, and finally I get my turn on doing it.
The rules/the main-idea is probably well known for most of you, this will be a list of my favorite 50 albums of all time, which was really hard to pick, but one of my main ideas for this thread was that it's not just about the ranking. There are a few album I could have switched ranking-wise, but it's fairly accurate, and my main idea with this thread is to write about WHY I love these albums rather then just saying that they are good, because in the end, people are more interested in WHY then what album actually is on the list. (at least I think so) :P

As many before me have done it, I won't have any 2011-albums on it (though there is one exception that could fall under this category, but we'll get to that later), no EP's and no Live-albums.
I have tried my hardest to narrow the list down to as many artists as possible, because: a) it's not as fun if it's a list with 10 PT albums, 8 Opeth-albums and well.. you get the picture (even if that probably wouldn't have been the case at all) and b) I really do think my list is fairly accurate, so I didn't have to narrow it down as much as I had thought.
Some artists on this list has 3 albums featured, but there isn't a single example with more then that, and looking over these 50 albums, I have ~34 or 35 different bands/artists, so the journey shall be fun.
Before I begin, I'll just say that comments are always fun, the more people who follow this - the merrier, and while I might end up writing wall of texts for some albums, I'll try to not drift off too much.  :lol

50. Dredg - The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion (2009)

First off on my list is my favorite Dredg-album, The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion which was released in 2009.
I remember getting into this band right around Christmas back in 2009, after reading quite a lot of praise here on DTF, I decided to start with their newest release. Back when I first heard this album, the music was very refreshing to my ears because it was progressive, but still not. A mix of pop-elements with rock, and a more concept-touch that made this band very unique in my ears.
I remember the first times I listened to this album very well, it was the week before Christmas and I remember that I listened to this album every day when I got home after school, when I just chilled in my room or played some Pokemon Silver.
While many people hold either "El Cielo" or "Catch Without Arms" as Dredg's best album, I still hold this album as their best, maybe because of my fond memories of it, or just because I think it's so solid throughout. I think that the major strength of this album is how solid it is, it has literally no lowpoints, and while there may be higher points on some of their other albums, I don't think they are as consistent as this album. If you're into catchy choruses, a mix of alternative rock and pop with a progressive touch, I would recommend this album instantly. Even people who listen to more Prog Metal-music and not so much softer music seem to like Dredg, and that makes me happy. :)

Favorite songs: Lightswitch, Cartoon Showroom & Ireland.

49. Eisley - Room Noises (2005)

For this next pick, I'll continue on the theme of "favorite album by this artist", in this case it's the indie-band Eisley.
I have very warm memories of getting into this band, it was right around the time when Sigz started talking about this band on the forum, and seeing as I share a very big part of my music taste with DTF, I always check out bands and artists that many people seem to appreciate.
Eisley was very different from what I was listening to at the time, Indie Pop music with 3 female singers (who are all sisters) was very new to me, but I've always appreciated diversity, so the band came into my life at a pretty good time. I must say that very small margins decided that Room Noises made it to this list, because I think this band has 3 very solid albums, and either could have made it, but The Valley was a no-no right away since it was released in 2011, and I still think Room Noises is slightly better then their second album, Combinations.
This album is more "fun" and more poppy then their latter albums IMO, pretty much all of the songs are good, has some really catchy choruses and great harmony-vocals throughout.

Favorite songs: Just Like We Do, Golly Sandra & Memories.

48. Gazpacho - Night (2007)

This is one of the most underrated albums I know, probably because the band isn't that well known everywhere, strangely enough. Gazpacho is a Norwegian band, their music is hard to describe, but a mix between Art-Rock, Progressive Rock and Post-Rock perhaps, their music has been compared to Porcupine Tree, Radiohead and Marillion for example.
"Night" remains my favorite album by them, it's a fairly dark album that I like to lump together with "Fear of a Blank Planet" by Porcupine Tree and "Rapid Eye Movement" by Riverside, two other albums that came out the same year. The thing all these three share (IMO) is that they are all fairly dark albums, but in slightly different ways.
Night has a very strong night-sound (shockingly enough!) and it's perfect headphones music, perfect to listen to when it's dark outside. It was exactly like that when I first heard the album, it took quite some listens to click for me, but when it did it was so worth it. The album has 5 songs, two of them (the first and the last) are over 10 minutes, the first clocking in at over 17 minutes and the last song is over 13 minutes, the three songs between are slightly shorter.
The album is fairly mellow, but it has some heavier sections and some nice dynamics, but it's not ultra heavy or on the edge of becoming metal. Some of the songs has an almost Kate Bush-feel in terms of build-up, execution and sound, the band still has a male singer, but both Gazpacho and Kate Bush are considered Art-Rock so I guess it's not that strange.
I still spin this album every now and then and I still love it just as much as I did back when I got into it, the last 1½ minute of "Upside Down" remains one of my favorite musical parts ever, it always sends shivers down my spine.

Favorite songs: Upside Down, Valerie's Friend & Dream of Stone.

I might drop in later today with another update. :)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:16:26 PM by Zantera »

Offline Xanthul

Re: Zantera's top 50 albums (If you follow this I love you)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 07:09:42 AM »
I think we have similar tastes, will follow this closely to discover some new music.

Yay for dredg and Eisley, never heard of Gazpacho.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 07:11:22 AM »
I'll follow but I'm not sure about the whole love thing.   ;)
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 07:13:20 AM »
Following... don't know any of these albums, but I just may have to finally have a listen to Dredg.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 07:32:53 AM »
I shall follow, but I have a feeling we have totally different tastes :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 08:23:07 AM »
Always nice to see dredg on these lists, I haven't listened to the other two albums though.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Following.  :tup Great to see The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 10:18:45 AM »
I'll be keeping an eye on this too.  In b4 Frames at #1 though amirite?  Not that I'd complain.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 10:22:42 AM »
that dredg and eisley albums are excellent :tup

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 10:25:01 AM »
Room Noises and TPTPTD...off to a great start!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 11:59:59 AM »
Following.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 12:07:42 PM »
Definitely following......

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 12:14:51 PM »
inb4 Oceansize #1

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 12:38:44 PM »
Will follow like lat follows a lesbian

Offline jag66

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 01:45:47 PM »
Following. I tried gazpacho recently (firebird). Undecided so far, will have to listen more.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 02:15:39 PM »
please love me.

In other words, I'LL FOLLOW.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 03:32:18 PM »
Following.  :tup Great to see The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 03:34:37 PM »
>Room Noises not higher

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 03:36:43 PM »
Have and love #50 & #49.  Will follow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »
On this.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 03:47:01 PM »
I'm listening to that exact Dredg album on vinyl right now.  Great choice :tup

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 03:49:37 PM »
Cool to see some interest in here!
I think that one of the cool things about a diverse forum like this is that everyone doesn't have to share music-taste in everything, I think that anyone could still find something they could like from a list with unknown artists (to them), so it's still a good way of sharing stuff. :)
Also, I didn't come in just to write that, I'm also here to update with the next 3 albums!

47. Opeth - Deliverance (2002)

The first really heavy album on my list, and one of the more pure metal-albums on my list. Opeth is a band most people here on the forum knows, they play a mix between Progressive Metal and Death Metal, though they have decreased the latter influence on their last couple of albums, and the latest album was death metal-free.
Anyhow, this album is sort of their hidden gem in the middle of their discography, many people rank this album fairly low, mostly because Blackwater Park and Still Life are so highly regarded within the scene.
When I got into Opeth, I started out with their live-albums (after initially hearing Watershed), so The Roundhouse Tapes and Lamentations became my first exposure to old Opeth. As some here might know, Lamentations has several Deliverance-songs, and it peaked my interest to check the album out.
Needless to say, I love this album a lot. I don't care if people find the production dull or the album too heavy, to me it has only standout songs, and I would rank four of them in my personal top15 Opeth-songs. While the album might be slightly heavier then their other albums, it still has some of their best mellow sections, and the band is in superb form.
I got into this album around the autumn in 2008, perfect time for listening to Opeth. Many of the dark days were spent inside, listening to Opeth's discography.  :lol

Favorite songs: Deliverance, Master's Apprentices & A Fair Judgement.

46. Alcest - Écailles de Lune (2010)

One of the more recent albums on my list, we have the French Shoegaze/Black Metal/Post-Rock (or whatever) band, Alcest.
Do you ever have that album you've been hearing loads of good things about, and you've been meaning to check out for ages, but it just hasn't happened yet? Ecailles De Lune was that album for me in 2010. It came out in March already, and I heard good things about it for ages, and I didn't check it out until December the same year, and I don't even know why I postponed it for so long.
Musically this album (and the band) has something very unique, the beautiful guitars create an almost dreamy soundscape, an ethereal sound that I haven't heard in many other places. Some people compared them to Agalloch, both have Black Metal-influences while still maintaining a very melodic sound, but I don't think they are that similar to be honest. If I would have one complaint about this album, it would probably be that I felt that it was a bit short. It clocks in at roughly 41 minutes, and I think another 10 minutes or so could have made it even more awesome, but again it could also have hurt the album.
About half of this album is sung in clean vocals, two of the songs are slightly heavier with more screamish/black metal-vocals, but all in all I think the album is fairly accessible for new listeners, the lyrics are all in french though, so that might take time adjusting to. What I remember the most about getting into this album was a mix of it's shortness and how good it was, which resulted in me listening to it almost 2-3 times in a row on some days, because it was all I wanted to listen to.
I would also like to add that the cover art for this album is simply gorgeous.
Alcest released a new album this week, so don't be surprised if you see many people talk about them here on the forum during the year, and if their album is represented on some top2012-lists at the end of the year.

Favorite songs: Ecailles De Lune (Part I), Ecailles De Lune (Part II) & Percees De Lumiere.

45. Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement (2007)

Next up we have the Polish Progressive Metal-band, Riverside.
Even though they have been compared to bands like Porcupine Tree and Anathema, I still think they share some more Prog Metal-sound with a band like Dream Theater.
I've been a fan of these guys since about 2 years ago, but what really made them click even more was seeing them live a few months ago. They were really fantastic live, and after seeing them live, their albums sounded even better then they had done before.
For starters, picking this album was not easy, because Second Life Syndrome and Anno Domini High Defenition (two of their other albums) were very close, but I decided to go with this one. Some of you might recall me mentioning this album in the write-up for Gazpacho, Rapid Eye Movement is slightly darker then Riverside's other albums. Some of their best songs are on this album, but all in all I think it offers a nice amount of variety, and really displays many of the band's different sides.
It has both shorter songs that are more catchy and sing along-friendly, but it also has some longer songs with some really epic guitar and keyboard-solos.
The singer, Mariusz Duda is one of my favorites in the Progressive Metal-scene, he can sing very good both clean vocals, and more harsh vocals. (though he never growls, he has more a singing style which he can adapt to both softer and heavier songs)
While I'm not as much into Prog Metal as I used to be, Riverside still remains one of my favorites from the genre, and I would recommend this band to anyone who likes Dream Theater, Symphony X, or bands like Porcupine Tree and Anathema.

Favorite songs: Ultimate Trip, Beyond the Eyelids & Parasomnia.

New update tomorrow morning or something. :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 03:51:35 PM »
FUCK YEAH ALCEST

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 04:24:40 PM »
Great to get a top 50 list from you, I think we have similar tastes. I definitely need to check out Dredg, Gazpacho, and Alcest. Not so sure about the others yet though (except for Opeth who I already have much respect for)...

I'm excited to see where this goes.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 06:33:53 PM »
Again I love the Opeth and Riverside CD's.  I need to check out Alcest.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 07:05:03 PM »
Following.

>Room Noises not higher

Agreed. Although, it's nice to see it at all.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 07:22:38 PM »
Riverside  :metal
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 08:37:36 PM »
Good stuff! Following.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »
I don't know if I'd put Deliverance in my Opeth top 5, but since I don't know what Opeth is to come I can't really criticize.

That Alcest album is awesome, picked it up a month ago and now I'm excited for the new one.

The first 3 Riverside albums are all very good and trying to rank them would be splitting hairs.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 02:35:06 AM »
I thought I would drop in and post an early morning update, but I think it's rather late for most of you Americans now.  :biggrin:
Anyhow, will post the next 3 on my list, I think these 3 are maybe a bit more unknown around here, but maybe it can create some interest and result in someone finding a new artist they like, because that's one of the good side effects from lists like this one.
I also have some really nice ones in store for the second update today, so make sure you look into this thread later. ;)

44. Kaki King - Dreaming of Revenge (2008)

Next up on my list we have a solo-artist, the guitarist/singer-songwriter Kaki King.
Like many of my other favorite artists and bands, I discovered her through DTF and the thread she has here. I'm not quite sure if it was thanks to Sigz, Reaper or Sonata that I checked her out, but probably a combination of all three. Before going into detail about this album, I just found out a very interesting thing recently that I honestly had no idea of. For those who are fans of Foo Fighters, Kaki King actually plays guitar on the song "Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners", which I had no idea about until very recently, and that is from my favorite Foo Fighters´ album.  :lol
Moving on, Kaki King has become one of my favorite guitarists, she has a very distinctive style, and most of the guitars you'll find on this album are acoustic ones, but she really blew me away right from the start just with her playing-style and skill. She has a very distinctive fingerstyle-playing, and apart from that she also plays bass, piano and drums on this album.
Most of the songs on this album are instrumental, acoustic songs revolving around simple melodies, but there are a few songs with singing in them, and those have become my favorites, especially "Life Being What It Is", which I think is her best song.
I still have it on my list to check her stuff out further, apart from this album (which I know very well) I have listened to some of the others, but they need more time, and I just haven't had much of that. Oh well, gotta listen to her more.

Favorite songs: Life Being What it is, Pull Me Out Alive & Can Anyone Who Has Heard This Music Really Be a Bad Person?

43. Neil Young - After the Gold Rush (1970)

Next up, we have an album which is the oldest on my list. Released in 1970, After the Gold Rush is Neil Young's third studio album, an album many people consider his first big breakthrough. Before going into detail about it, I would just like to point out that it was a very tight race between this album and his next album, "Harvest" and that either or both could have made it, but in the end only this one did. Most people get surprised when I express my love and appreciation for Neil Young, because for most people, I'm that guy who listens to "new" music, and to some extent that is true. I don't have anything against old music, but being a bit of an audiophile, I sometimes have demands regarding the sound-quality on an album, that only newer albums can live up to. Anyhow, Neil Young. My dad got me into him way back, probably in the late 90's already, but it wasn't until modern time (3 years ago) that I decided to check him out more. His two live-albums; "Live at Massey Hall" and "Live Rust" have become pinnacles of it's genre for me, two of my all time favorite live albums, and for the longest time those were the only albums I listened to. Neil Young is an artist who has several sides, but he is mostly known for two different versions, the first is the guy with the guitar who plays solo, singer-songwriter songs, and the second is the guy in the band (when he plays with Crazy Horse, his band) and there we get a more rock-sound. After the Gold Rush is my favorite album by him right now, but I must admit that I have slacked with checking his studio-albums out. (there's 33 studio albums in total)
It has some of his classic songs, but it's also very solid and has no lowpoints. Neil has a very special voice that isn't for everyone, but if you have an open mind about vocals and enjoy a mix of singer-songwriter, country-rock and a small touch of folk music, I would recommend his music to anyone.

Favorite songs: Only Love Can Break Your Heart, After the Gold Rush & Don't Let It Bring You Down.

42. The River Empires - Epilogue (2010)

Jumping forward 40 years to 2010, we have this album which I fell in love with instantly when I heard it.
For those of you not familiar with The River Empires, they're almost like the lost twin sister of The Dear Hunter, Casey is even featured on the album, and he also did loads of work behind the stage, aka production and other stuff. (his touch is on the album) Imagine that cinematic-sound that The Dear Hunter has, but instead of being Progressive and Rock-ish, The River Empires are more Folk, Indie, Bluegrass with a hint of experimental stuff in it. While this list will prove me wrong, I sometimes consider this album to be better then all of The Dear Hunter's albums (not that they are bad, but proving how amazing this is), right now I would say that it's very much up there with Casey's work.
So how does this twin-sister of The Dear Hunter sound? As I mentioned it is very cinematic, there's a story so it's very much conceptual, and like The Dear Hunter it has a main story that will be spread out on several albums, like with the Act-albums. There aren't many electric guitars on the album, instead many songs are based on piano, there's also heavy use of many odd instruments (don't make me name 'em all!), some brass instruments and some acoustic and banjo-stuff.
Despite taking away the electric guitar, there's still ton of variety on this album. "Our Neighbor, the Earth" is a piano-based song that almost becomes Post-Rock in the second half, "A Toast to the Snake King" sounds like the theme-song to the Wild West and "Witches Blossom" sounds like a blues infusion, with one of the most powerful guitar-solos on the album.
The album has 27 songs and is about 1 ½ hour long, if you haven't checked it out but you enjoy The Dear Hunter, this is definitely something worth your time. If you have no idea about The Dear Hunter or The River Empires, I suggest you check this album out asap.  ;)

Favorite songs: Witches Blossom, A Toast to the Snake King, The Coventry & Our Neighbor, The Earth.

Stay tuned for another interesting update later today. :)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 02:51:09 AM »
Nice to see some Neil Young on your list :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 03:00:36 AM »
Dreaming of Revenge  :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 03:26:51 AM »
Wow, you have an awesome musical taste Zantera and to be honest I haven't heard quite a bit of the stuff you've posted but you've made me want to check it all out!

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »
So far I have heard none of these albums haha. Lots to add to my playlist

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 01:12:04 PM »
So far I have heard none of these albums haha.

I thought you would have heard Opeth at least