Author Topic: DTVT's Musical Russian Roulette - Final round results up, winner announced  (Read 36806 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: DTVT's Musical Russian Roulette - Rd 3 results up - Who died?
« Reply #245 on: January 28, 2012, 09:42:04 PM »
Video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1lvr0RPB-c&feature=youtu.be

Next round is open, as usual.  For the bonus, I'm going to try something different.  I want a short explanation why your song should win the bonus.  Keep your reasons within the song, the game isn't part of the reasoning.  Winner of the bonus round gets a one bullet reduction and can add one bullet to someone elses chamber.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
You should check out the rest of that *shels album.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
I have to be the luckiest person here. :lol

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
I have to be the luckiest person here. :lol
Yes.  Yes you are.  :biggrin:

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: DTVT's Musical Russian Roulette - Rd 3 results up - Who died?
« Reply #249 on: January 29, 2012, 03:20:03 PM »
I fount it interesting that only Sigz had sent from a band I had.   

What did I send for the instrumental?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
The part at the end of 46 & 2.  Aenima was my favorite album for a solid year after it was released.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Just want to add, I'll be extremely busy until Thursday, so I'll set 7 pm Friday as a deadline for this round.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
I already sent!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
and you're the only one, which is why I didn't bother mentioning time zones since you're the only European left.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Will send tonight

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
like I said, absolutely no rush.  I'm playing taxi to the airport the next three days as well as helping our new Indian post-doc get settled in, and in my spare time I'll be editing my dissertation.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
Just saying that I'll be gone skiing next week. I leave tomorrow and I get back on the 12th. So maybe have the deadline for the next round be after the 12th, that way I don't have to send you any songs in advance or anything...

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll PM you the next round rules when I get home tonight and you can pre-submit before you leave, and if you make it to the final round we can wait a few days for you then.

Still need Orcus and Sigz, by 7 pm tomorrow, or whatever I said last time.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
This bonus song is killing me. I don't like the open endedness of it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
You only need one song.  The bonus is just for whoever gives me the best reason that their song deserves the bonus based on the song alone. 

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
Finally sent.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Order of the gun:

Kari
Ravenheart
Sigz
Orcus

This is tough since I do like all three of you guys.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I have write-ups saved, so I just need some replies to my PMs to people, so this will move on to the final three tomorrow.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Round 5:

Ravenheart: Edge of Sanity - Twilight - Another Dan Swano song :)  No I'm not complaining, this song delivers.  I particularly liked some of the guitar riffs.  Zander pretty much nailed it with his description which won the mini-game, so I'll just quote him:
I think my song is noteworthy for transitioning between ambient/ethereal and crushingly heavy, yet without crumbling into an incoherent slop of neat ideas slapped together with no actual song intact. I also like that the lyrics are emotional with a touch of the supernatural, but they succeed in avoiding to be cheesy. I also find his growl to be very comprehensible when stacked up against the majority of death metal vocalists out there.
The songs were really close this round, and initially the was in second place, but Kari's and Sigz songs improved upon subsequent listens, whereas this one just kind of stayed.  Four bullets, but with Ravenheart turning the gun on someone if it reaches him, someone is in A LOT of trouble.

Kari: 65 Days of Static - Radio Protector - I liked this song, I really did.  Much more than last rounds submission.  First listen I wasn't terribly impressed, but this song really grew on me, and I started noting subtle things that I really liked, particularly the interplay between the guitar and piano parts.  Whatever happens, I'm going to thank Kari for greatly increasing my appreciation for post-rock.  Three bullets.

Sigz: The Ocean - Rhyacian: Untimely Meditations - Alright...another band I really want to check out now.  Like Ravenheart's song, I really liked the balance between the lighter parts and the heavier parts, this pretty much what post-metal is in my opinion.  It was really close between this song and the next song.  Two bullets.

Orcus116: Baroness - Rays on Pinion - I must be softening my stance toward sludge metal because a year ago I wasn't really feeling it, I didn't get the hype Mastadon's Crack the Skye was getting, I scored a different Baroness song pretty low.  Now, a Mastadon song scored well in an earlier round and this Baroness song is winning this round.  Like Ravenheart's and Sigz's song, it had the heaviness I like, but there was just something that grabbed my attention.  I loved the guitar tone as well.  Guess I'm going to have to check out Baroness again.  Round winner, one bullet.

Gonna run the round now.  Will post results soon.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's Musical Russian Roulette - Rd 5 results up - Who got Megadead?
« Reply #264 on: February 06, 2012, 08:35:41 PM »
Roulette video here:  https://youtu.be/IY8Yxn8sEyI

For the three of you remaining:

For the next round, I want between 12 and 15 minutes (those are hard figures, please stick within that timeframe) of music from the same artist, but there has to be at least two songs, and you are free to send more.  You can use different albums, but it has to be the same band/artist.  There won't be a bonus for this round since there will only be three people left, and the final two is a judgement call, not roulette.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
Sent. May be kinda risky, but the other band I was considering seemed too much like a lot of the other stuff that's been getting submitted by everyone so I felt like something a bit different.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:35:05 PM by Sigz »

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #266 on: February 08, 2012, 10:33:20 PM »
Sent.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #267 on: February 13, 2012, 06:16:03 PM »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: February 14, 2012, 09:02:24 AM »
I just got the last submission.  I'll be listening throughout the day and try to get the last round up tonight or tomorrow.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #269 on: February 14, 2012, 05:56:12 PM »
Looking forward to it!

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: February 14, 2012, 07:26:26 PM »
:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: February 14, 2012, 11:30:36 PM »
I want to get another listen or two in tomorrow, but I think I know how I'm scoring this round.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #272 on: February 16, 2012, 08:32:41 AM »
Sigz
Orcus
Ravenheart

:(

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: February 16, 2012, 09:22:07 AM »
I have write-ups done, but they are at home so I won't get around to it until tonight.  Hopefully some gun passing will get done, these one and dones aren't very exciting.  Some suspense would be nice.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #274 on: February 16, 2012, 12:41:12 PM »
DTVT, did you happen to listen to my submission for the round I didn't make it to? 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: February 16, 2012, 02:49:56 PM »
No, but I will.  I can tell you though that I tried listening to Sigur Ros song once before when I saw everyone raving about them, and theres a reason I never followed up - but as you'll see when I post write-ups when I get home (soon, just need to wait for a reaction to start), I had misconceptions about all the bands I was sent last round and was rather pleasantly surprised across the board.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's Musical Russian Roulette - Rd 6 results up - SURPRISE!! Who's dead?
« Reply #276 on: February 16, 2012, 05:32:29 PM »
Round 6:

This round was interesting because I could see a continuum of style, with a heavy, non-electronic band, a band that is a mix of rock and electronic, and one that was less rock and more drum and bass.  I'll tackle them in that order.

Ravenheart: Type O Negative - Wolf Moon - Love You to Death - So, I've actually heard Type O Negative before, hell, I saw them live.  But that was back on March 26, 1997 when they opened for Metallica, which was my first real concert.  I honestly couldn't tell you anything more about their performance, my best friend and I were too jacked up for Metallica and experiencing our first contact high.  So that's my story, and because they opened for Metallica I guess I just thought of them as a thrash metal band.  Thank you for changing my perception on this Ravenheart, I would call these songs doom metal more than anything else.  I don't know if 18 year old me would have been too receptive to this, but I can tell you 33 year old me is, and I don't really have much doom metal so I might be starting here.  I wasn't too keen on Wolf Moon the first two or three times I heard it, but Love You to Death had me interested on the first listen.  I really had a hard time choosing between this and another group as the round winner, but I had to award the round to Ravenheart on a technicality, which I'll discuss when that time comes around.  One bullet.

Sigz: Pendulum - Witchcraft - Propane Nightmares - Crush - I had never heard of Pendulum, so I was going into this with no ideas what to expect, especially since Sigz can be eclectic and unpredictable.  So I started off with Witchcraft and thought it was pretty rocking, something I might expect from dredg...then it gets pretty electronic, but not in that repetitive house music way that would bore me.  It is a nice balance of rock and electronic.  It had a fun, playful vibe.  So I moved onto Propane Nightmares, which when combined with his current avatar is just brilliant.  This song again had that nice mix, but wasn't quite as fun and playful, not that a song with the word Nightmares is going to be fun and playful.  Crush felt like a more electronic Witchcraft, so it didn't really bring much new to talk about other than reinforce that Pendulum seems to have found a great balance in bringing electronic music into a rock-oriented fold, which was really cool.  I had a very hard time parsing out this selection and Ravenheart's.  These songs went a full minute over the timeframe I asked for, so in the end that made a difficult decision fairly easy since it was extremely close, close enough that I asked you both to send gun selections since I was having a hard time choosing.  Two bullets.

Orcus116: Sneaker Pimps - Lightning Field - 6 Underground - Destroying Angel - Ravenheart went the metal route, Sigz went for a mix of rock and electronic, and Orcus went for a more stripped down sound.  What was interesting was that the songs came from two different albums with different singers, so while musically it was in the same vein, I got two different presentations; kind of like basil and thyme.  The only thing among these songs that I wasn't really feeling was the "buzzing" sound in the background, like a droning electronic static.  Beyond that, there was more to it musically than I would have expected from a band that is described as "trip-hop" by Wikipedia, so while Wikipedia may be wrong, I can honestly say that while I haven't liked full blown electronica music, or house, something like Sneaker Pimps is something I could deal with listening to.  I don't know if I'd go out and buy it, but I'd certainly wouldn't find it musically objectionable.  Three bullets.

Video is uploading now...it;s a long one.  Lots of drama for a change.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: February 16, 2012, 08:01:33 PM »
Video here:  https://youtu.be/r2hqBCX7E44

For the last round, I want each of you to make me a "mix" CD.  5 songs, 5 different bands - however one may be a repeat of a band you already sent (but not someone else has sent), with three exceptions:  Ravenheart can't send anything off of Moontower or Skyfire because I already bought those albums, and Orcus can't send Baroness since I just ordered those albums, and Sigz can't send maudlin of the well or from the Kylesa album Spiral Shadow, again due to wallet spending..

I listed all three of you so people will have to watch the video to see who died.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #278 on: February 16, 2012, 11:40:21 PM »
Sidenote:

I'm glad to see that people are enjoying that Kylesa album. They don't get talked about much here, but Spiral Shadow is such an awesome album.

Back to your regularly scheduled roulette!

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #279 on: February 16, 2012, 11:42:35 PM »
Spiral Shadow is such an awesome album.

That it is.

For the results: OH SNAP