Author Topic: DTVT's Musical Russian Roulette - Final round results up, winner announced  (Read 36818 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
https://www.last.fm/user/mrouser

I'll put it in the OP as well.

And sorry for already having all the Haggard albums.  Per Aspera Ad Astra is my favorite song of theirs.  I'd love to see them live someday.

I also want to thank everyone for particiapating, particularly first time players.  While trying to sort out nearly 30 songs wasn't trivial, I think the new blood (no pun intended) will be good for the future of these.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think the new blood (no pun intended) will be good for the future of these.
:laugh:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
And sorry for already having all the Haggard albums.  Per Aspera Ad Astra is my favorite song of theirs.  I'd love to see them live someday.

Haggard is one the very few bands I liked from their genre. Very underrated!

I also want to thank everyone for particiapating, particularly first time players.  While trying to sort out nearly 30 songs wasn't trivial, I think the new blood (no pun intended) will be good for the future of these.

It's fun and interesting, I also check out the other submissions when you post them.  :metal
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
You're pretty much the poster child for that comment metty.  If I was sending out invites, I wouldn't have even thought to invite you, ytserush, or yorost  since I never saw any of you express interest in these; and other people, particularly lower post count peeps would have been passed over because I wouldn't know what to expect from them.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Oy sorry. Been busy the last few days.

Edit: Submitted.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:36:31 PM by orcus116 »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I've listened to all the songs once.  I will listen a few more times before I finish write-ups and assign bullets.  As for the mini-game though, the target time was 7:14, so with a song length of 5:31, Ravenheart wins the mini-game and can decide publicly or privately whether he wants a one bullet reduction, or if he wants to put an extra bullet in someone's chamber.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm beginning to think that Ravenheart is code for DTFs best (and luckiest) roulette player!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
You're pretty much the poster child for that comment metty.  If I was sending out invites, I wouldn't have even thought to invite you, ytserush, or yorost  since I never saw any of you express interest in these; and other people, particularly lower post count peeps would have been passed over because I wouldn't know what to expect from them.

The pleasure was mine. Thanks for putting up with the music. Didn't think I'd last that long.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I have round 2 write-ups done.  Sigz has won the round, and I need him to post the order the participants face the gun.

I also need Ravenheart's decision from his mini-game win.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Ravenheart
TKIC
Orcus
Metty
Kari
Sigz
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Round 3

In all honesty, I liked and enjoyed every song, which made ranking them difficult.  The nice thing about Russian Roulette is that having a bad round doesn't necessarily mean your gone, you can get lucky and not face the gun or get an empty chamber.

The King In Crimson:  Diablo Swing Orchestra - Vodka Inferno - Therion goes to the circus was my first thought.  It was playful and fun, metal and operatic.  Just a unique blend of elements that usually aren't seen together.  Three bullets in the chamber for TKIC.

Ravenheart:  Nightingale - Atlantis Rising - Seems like a safe pick, because it's pretty much my alley.  I have to admit the first time I listened to it nothing really struck my ears, but on subsequent listens I picked up some musical phrases I enjoyed, the guitar tone was crisp, clean, and sharp (are you listening Adrenaline Mob?), and just how well the piece was produced.  I will be adding this band to ones I'm going to keep my eye out when I go to music stores.  Only one bullet to worry about.

Kari:  Meanwhile Back In Communist Russia - Blind Spot, Invisible Bend - If I was awarding a "best band name" bonus, this would win it :lol  A solid submission.  The speaking over music reminded me of the style of "Institutionalized" by Suicidal Tendencies; but not angry or metal.  I really enjoyed the instrumental part at the end much more than the beginning of the song though.  The style of the vocals were a bit of a detraction though after the first verse because the music had picked up and they were hard to follow lower in the mix.  I did enjoy the song though, but since I'm ranking them, I have to give Kari 5 bullets.

Sigz:  Maudlin of the Well* - Gleam in Ranks - The clear winner of the round.  This song is great bridge between my proggy phases and metal phases, all in one song.  It starts off going after my proggy sensibilities, with that little high piano riff, and then kicks into gear at the end of the first verse, with those frantic drum fills and overdriven guitar.  This song and the one Ravenheart sent in the first round were inspiration for my re-release thread.  I'm pretty damn sure I need to get my hands on this band's collection as well.  No bullets awarded.  Also, Sigz earned a bullet reduction for sending a Toby Driver band, Sigz now has two bullet reductions.

Metty: Judas Priest - Between the Hammer & The Anvil - I have to admit to only knowing "classic" Priest songs, even though I never really had a reason into not delving into their back catalog other than its a lot of albums to buy, and I they tend to be hit and miss from what I understand.  This song was definitely hit and not miss.  It sounds like classic Priest, which is more than fine in my book.  I also have a fondness for them since they essentially jumpstarted Ripper Owens career.  However, tough decisions have to be made, four bullets for Metty.

Orcus116:  Mastadon - Naked Burn - I don't really get all the hype Crack the Skye got.  Still don't two years later, so I was worried when I saw I was sent Mastadon.  But I liked this song more than anything on CTS.  Maybe it was because this was grittier and had more punch.  Whatever it is, this song is enough to get me to reconsider my stance on Mastadon, I think I would be willing to check out their early work.  Two bullets in Orcus's chamber.

Ravenheart and The King in Crimson have decided to use their bullet reductions, so for the first cycle Ravenheart gets skipped since he wouldn't have a bullet.  I'm going to run the first round in a moment, and I'll have it on youtube as soon as I can upload it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:28:53 PM by DTVT »

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: DTVT's Musical Russian Roulette - Rd 3 results up - Who died?
« Reply #221 on: January 21, 2012, 04:16:25 PM »
motW and DSO :metal :metal :metal

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »
Want to know who made it?  Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbJd9y6dLjk&feature=youtu.be

For those of you who remain:
I need two submissions for the next round.  First is your normal submission, open round, something I don't already know - the usual.

Second - For this round's mini-game, I want you to select part of a song that has a great instrumental phrase that just kicks the song up a notch.  It should be a song with vocals, but the part has to be instrumental.  Make sure you tell me where it begins.  It can be a solo, a riff, an instrumental bridge, just as it contains no vocals.  Vocals that aren't words are ok, for example the F# part in Learning to Live (since everyone should be familiar with it).   It can be anything except Dream Theater, so don't worry about whether I have it or not.  The prize will be very special...next time you are under the gun you get to turn your gun on another player!

Please don't ruin the video for others by discussing who died, at least not for a day or so :)

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #223 on: January 22, 2012, 08:39:09 AM »
So what exactly are you looking for in the second song? 'cause I could send you something obvious like Sultans of Swing, where the solos make kick the song up a lot more than a notch. Or I could send you like a song you possibly may not like which just has a great instrumental bit. You know what I mean?

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2012, 08:48:23 AM »
I would just like to say that this is by far the coolest roulette that's been done so far. There's just so much awesomeness going on here.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2012, 09:05:43 AM »
A new way of doing it, it seems, but it's also death by chance, which can be unfortunate. But that has been backed up by the number of bullets you get, so I get where this is going. very interesting and an awesome way of doing it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: January 22, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »
So what exactly are you looking for in the second song? 'cause I could send you something obvious like Sultans of Swing, where the solos make kick the song up a lot more than a notch. Or I could send you like a song you possibly may not like which just has a great instrumental bit. You know what I mean?

I'm only judging one instrumental bit, should be less than a minute in length but its not a hard time limit.  Send a link and just tell me, "start at 1:13 mark" or whereever it begins.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2012, 09:49:20 AM »
Alright. Sent!

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2012, 01:31:05 PM »
hmmmm. Have to think about this.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2012, 02:17:06 PM »
Sent!

I took a risk on the instrumental section. Hopefully it pays off!

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #230 on: January 22, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »

I'm only judging one instrumental bit, should be less than a minute in length but its not a hard time limit.  Send a link and just tell me, "start at 1:13 mark" or whereever it begins.

Seems odd to start at that time especially since this is supposed to be about an instrumental section that elevates the song. Wouldn't it make more sense to just listen to the whole song and get that section in context?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: January 22, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »
I'll listen to the lead in, but I want something that is going to make me say, "ooo, snap!"

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2012, 06:41:15 PM »
That was fun and I'm glad you liked the track DTVT. Good luck everyone!
*blood dripping fingers still twitching as body gets loaded onto a tray*
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2012, 09:17:35 PM »
Sent'd

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2012, 11:49:56 PM »
I owe my life to Sigz.. Thanks man! :lol

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #235 on: January 24, 2012, 05:06:52 PM »
Update?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: January 24, 2012, 11:33:07 PM »
Waiting on Zander.  I didn't push him though because I've been putting in 15 hour days this week trying to get my dissertation draft done.  I need to get out of grad school, like yesterday.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #237 on: January 25, 2012, 08:34:57 AM »
Sent. Sorry about the wait. Stress from school this week has been keeping me in chains.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #238 on: January 25, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »
Take your time, DTVT, no rush. :)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: January 25, 2012, 10:55:42 AM »
Sent. Sorry about the wait. Stress from school this week has been keeping me in chains.

In the same boat bud.  No worries.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #240 on: January 28, 2012, 05:45:55 PM »
Order of the gun:

TKIC
Kari
Ravenheart
Sigz
Orcus

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: January 28, 2012, 06:36:15 PM »
I'm working on write-ups and I still need to determine the mini-game winner, and then get a decision from them.

But yes, Orcus did win this round.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #242 on: January 28, 2012, 06:37:31 PM »
I had a feeling that song would be right up your alley.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: January 28, 2012, 08:52:51 PM »
I don't even remember what I sent.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: January 28, 2012, 09:13:13 PM »
Round 4:

Writeups in order I received them.

Kari: MONO - Moonlight - Like you said, I don't have anything like this.  I'm not a not a very "relaxed" person, especially when it comes to music.  The song picked up the intensity a little after a few minutes, but by and large was a song meant for just spacing out on like you said, so I tried that for the third listen - just lied on my bed with the lights out.  But again, it just wasn't my thing.  I'm not saying it was bad, but it was a little too drawn out and mellow for my tastes.  5 bullets.

The King in Crimson: Oceansize - Commemorative 9/11 T-Shirt - I got different Oceansize songs in my first roulette, and to be honest they didn't exactly have me clamoring for more, largely due to the lack of intensity I mentioned before.  This song unfortunately isn't having me scrambling to add Oceansize to my next purchase.  It had parts that caught my attention that were sandwiched by larger parts that had my mind wanting to wander off and find something to keep it busy.  The parts I liked in this song I liked a little bit more than the ones I liked in Moonlight, so this song edges that one out, but still gets 4 bullets.

Sigz: The New Caledonia - Electro Legs - Like most of Sigz songs, it's hard to pigeon hole his songs, but the thing that kept coming to mind during this song was a jazziness brought by the horns when they popped up and the occasional mini sax solo.  Overall, a rather enjoyable listen, and while the song didn't jerk me around, it kept me guessing at what was coming next.  I just happened to like the next two songs a little bit more.

Orcus116: *shels - Journey to the Plains - This song had some intensity to it, and no it's not over-the-top ballsy metal or anything like that.  Musically, it was somewhere on the post-rock / post-metal borderline, there wasn't really any lyrics to speak of, but the vocal harmonization was really great as was the song overall.  It just edged out the next song, 1 bullet.

Ravenheart:  Skyfire - Esoteric - This is in the same vein as the other songs Zander has sent, so it was definitely a safer play than Sigz or Orcus.  I enjoyed the song obviously, but if I had to nitpick, I'd say that compared to other melodic death bands, their singer might be somewhat of a weak point.  That said, I'll definitely check this band out if I see them around.  2 bullets, but it was close.

for the mini-game, Ravenheart won with a piano section in "Broken Days" by For My Pain...    I fount it interesting that only Sigz had sent from a band I had.   

Video will be up as soon as I shoot it and upload it, as well as the next round.