Author Topic: Eric Johnson  (Read 9069 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Eric Johnson
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2022, 08:21:02 PM »
OK, I'm going to listen to one album tomorrow night and report back. Not sure which one it'll be.

@ Wolfking, any help?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2022, 08:23:23 PM »
OK, I'm going to listen to one album tomorrow night and report back. Not sure which one it'll be.

@ Wolfking, any help?

He is cursing us right now after getting his sticky ice cream fingers all over his VH CD cases.

Offline HOF

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2022, 09:06:03 PM »
Actually, listening to it now, I think I might just say to start with Tones and if you like that don’t stop because you’ll also probably like Ah Via Musicom and Venus Isle. At the very least, you’d probably like the song Zap.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2022, 09:06:17 PM »

@ Wolfking, any help?

Honestly, I love Tones, but don't go that one, you'll puke.  Go Venus Isle I think, but I think a few of the others here know better than me.  Johnson I like a lot but not as familiar as the shredders I'm known for.

Really you can flip a coin between VI and AVM.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2022, 09:07:13 PM »
Actually, listening to it now, I think I might just say to start with Tones and if you like that don’t stop because you’ll also probably like Ah Via Musicom and Venus Isle. At the very least, you’d probably like the song Zap.

Yeah, Tones is the best.  But Tim won't enjoy anything from EJ I really believe.  I don't think Tones is the best place to start for him though.

Offline HOF

« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2022, 09:10:15 PM »

Yeah, Tones is the best.  But Tim won't enjoy anything from EJ I really believe.  I don't think Tones is the best place to start for him though.

I suspect he’ll find something to appreciate in some of the instrumental tracks, but will struggle with the vocal ones. If he can hang in there until the solos though he might stand a chance.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2022, 10:44:25 PM »
I first got Tones and if I had to choose, i would still go with that as an introduction.

I also would suggest the Electromagnets album for anyone who enjoys Jazz-Rock.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 06:38:02 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2022, 06:00:59 AM »
I predict Tim will like quite a bit of EJ, he'll just inappropriately compare his playing to either Gary Moore, or Michael Schenker.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2022, 11:59:32 AM »
I predict Tim will like quite a bit of EJ, he'll just inappropriately compare his playing to either Gary Moore, or Michael Schenker.  :lol

:lol
So true..except the inappropriate part.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2022, 12:57:42 PM »
I was supposed to see him in March of 2020, but we all know what happened.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline HOF

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2022, 01:09:06 PM »
I was supposed to see him in March of 2020, but we all know what happened.

I got to see him back in 2016 on his acoustic tour. Just him and his guitar/piano in a really small venue. Very cool way to see him, though I imagine he'd be even more fun to watch playing electric.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2022, 02:11:53 PM »
The only Eric Johson track I know is Trademark and man is it a banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPcUsbQQ7IY&ab_channel=EricJohnson
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline HOF

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2022, 02:15:29 PM »
The only Eric Johson track I know is Trademark and man is it a banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPcUsbQQ7IY&ab_channel=EricJohnson

Cliffs of Dover is the big hit from that album that everyone knows, but in some ways I prefer Trademark. Both are great of course.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2022, 02:40:19 PM »
One song of his that doesn't get mentioned enough, but which I love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P87aMhEsKW4

Offline HOF

« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2022, 02:50:38 PM »
One song of his that doesn't get mentioned enough, but which I love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P87aMhEsKW4

Yep, this might be my favorite of his.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2022, 03:29:54 PM »
I lasted three songs on the Venus Aisle album, and I checked the song Rodrigo linked.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2022, 03:42:36 PM »
I lasted three songs on the Venus Aisle album, and I checked the song Rodrigo linked.

To quote the great philosopher Michael Scott..."why are you the way that you are?"

Offline HOF

« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2022, 03:59:08 PM »

I warned you!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2022, 04:08:40 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2022, 04:18:58 PM »
Tim, this one.

https://youtu.be/safVhk-Jnkg

I thought you were sending me a Simpson's clip. :lol

That's a bit better.

Offline HOF

« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2022, 04:21:16 PM »
Tim, this one.

https://youtu.be/safVhk-Jnkg

:tup

Just noticed that Tommy Taylor busted a snare head during the song. His drumming on those first three EJ albums is phenomenal.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2022, 04:21:47 PM »

I told you.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2022, 06:47:13 PM »
Back in college I was the sports director for the campus television station and I would use “Righteous” for all the coaches shows we produced.

Good times.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2022, 06:25:19 AM »

So you never made it to Camel's Night Out...tsk, tsk.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MrMike

« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2022, 05:10:13 PM »
Check out "Pipeline" off the Collage CD.  My favorite album performance of his.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2022, 07:24:37 AM »
I'll be interviewing Eric this Tuesday afternoon. Let me know if you have questions for him!

Offline HOF

« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2022, 07:32:18 AM »
I'll be interviewing Eric this Tuesday afternoon. Let me know if you have questions for him!

That’s great! He seems like a really nice guy. Will try to think of something.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2022, 01:35:23 PM »

Please ask him what memories he has of writing and recording the solo for Lonely In The Night (my all-time favourite guitar solo). The song is credited to "Vince Mariani" (listed in the booklet as being responsible for "arrangement") but I'm guessing the solos were written by Eric. How long did he work on that piece? And where does he rank it among his own body of work?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2022, 03:15:02 PM »

Please ask him what memories he has of writing and recording the solo for Lonely In The Night (my all-time favourite guitar solo). The song is credited to "Vince Mariani" (listed in the booklet as being responsible for "arrangement") but I'm guessing the solos were written by Eric. How long did he work on that piece? And where does he rank it among his own body of work?

Yes, I was planning to ask about that, and it's my favorite EJ song as well!

Offline HOF

« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2022, 12:29:05 PM »
Well this is sad and oddly coincidental. Eric just posted a tribute Vince Mariani on FB. He apparently died of an extended illness just recently. He mentions how he wrote Lonely in the Night and also contributed other song and album titles.

https://m.facebook.com/#!/story.php?story_fbid=529242981904593&id=100044566863584

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2022, 04:48:29 PM »
Trademark is still my favorite. Everything about that song is the greatest thing he's ever done.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2022, 05:49:32 PM »
Could you also please ask him if the original recording for Venus Reprise went on for much longer after the fade-out? I'd love to hear the full and original version of that, because he was doing some VERY tasty stuff before the abrupt fade-out. In fact tell him please that I'll make a sacrifice to the God of his choice for a special edition of the Venus Isle record, complete with demos, outtakes, etc. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2022, 06:33:35 PM »
Could you also please ask him if the original recording for Venus Reprise went on for much longer after the fade-out? I'd love to hear the full and original version of that, because he was doing some VERY tasty stuff before the abrupt fade-out. In fact tell him please that I'll make a sacrifice to the God of his choice for a special edition of the Venus Isle record, complete with demos, outtakes, etc.

That's a good one! I'll see if I can fit that in!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2022, 05:08:18 PM »
All done with Eric, and asked him about VEnus Reprise...he said he continued to play for 2 or 3 more minutes after that fade out. Initially that song had vocals, and he wants to re-record it with vocals at some point.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2022, 08:04:32 PM »
All done with Eric, and asked him about VEnus Reprise...he said he continued to play for 2 or 3 more minutes after that fade out. Initially that song had vocals, and he wants to re-record it with vocals at some point.

Yeah, Venus Reprise was originally a vocal number called Mountains...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AlH-fwsPbxA

It's a lovely piece but I think he made the correct decision to edit it to an instrumental, albeit one that was much shorter. Looking forward to the interview, thanks for doing it.