Author Topic: Eric Johnson  (Read 9068 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Eric Johnson
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2012, 08:32:47 AM »
Playing 'Manhattan' right now off of the G3 DVD. It's amazing, this DVD has my favorite tracks by all of 'em: 'For the Love of God' (Vai), 'Flying in a blue Dream' (Satriani) and 'Manhattan'.

there are some great songs/moments on that dvd/cd
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 06:07:08 PM »
Eric Johnson is touring next year to celebrate the anniversary of Ah Via Musicom.  28 years seems like an odd anniversary to celebrate :lol, but whatever.

https://www.ericjohnson.com/tour/

Not coming to St Louis, darn it. Would have gone.  :(

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 06:13:06 PM »
Tupelo music hall? 25 minutes from my house. My brother will flip out!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »
Tupelo music hall? 25 minutes from my house. My brother will flip out!!!

May go since we were screwed out of him and Primus on the Roll The Bones Tour and drew Vinnie Moore and Mr. Big instead.

May be an album or two behind, last one I got was Live and Beyond.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2017, 07:49:16 PM »
It's 3 days from my birthday and my brother said, "Oh yeah, I'm buying us tickets for your birthday." Booya!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2017, 08:12:13 PM »
Oooo....I might check this one out with my Dad.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2017, 09:00:03 PM »

May go since we were screwed out of him and Primus on the Roll The Bones Tour and drew Vinnie Moore and Mr. Big instead.

I saw open for Rush in November '91, but all I knew at the time was Cliffs of Dover and Trademark.   

Still love both Ah Via Musicom and Venus Isle a lot. I need to get Tones, which is supposed to be really good.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2017, 10:53:56 AM »
May be checking this out in Milwaukee.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
Ah Via Musicom is the only album I own. He is a excellent guitar player. I think he was on G3 a couple of times..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2017, 01:20:46 PM »
Ah Via Musicom is the only album I own.

Check out Venus Isle.  Terrific album, and one heck of a journey. :hat

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2017, 01:28:52 PM »
Venus Isle is in my top 10 albums of all time, I love every note of it from start to finish. The final track Venus Reprise, although less than a minute and a half long, somehow still manages to be one of the most epic, joyous, triumphant pieces of music I've ever heard. I only wish it didn't fade out so suddenly. And Lonely In The Night is always my answer whenever a 'what is your favourite guitar solo' thread comes up. Such a perfect marriage of technique and emotion.   

From his later work, Bloom was a bit disjointed and felt more like a collection of sketches and ideas for songs rather than songs themselves. Though the title track is great. Up Close was much better, and has one of his greatest ever songs on it (On The Way). The guitar work in that is mesmerizing. I also love the slow piece 'Gem'.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2017, 05:24:43 PM »
Venus Isle is in my top 10 albums of all time, I love every note of it from start to finish. The final track Venus Reprise, although less than a minute and a half long, somehow still manages to be one of the most epic, joyous, triumphant pieces of music I've ever heard. I only wish it didn't fade out so suddenly. And Lonely In The Night is always my answer whenever a 'what is your favourite guitar solo' thread comes up. Such a perfect marriage of technique and emotion.   

That is a pretty awesome solo, I have to admit.  It is hard to pick a single favorite Eric Johnson, but that one would certainly be in the convo. :tup :tup

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2017, 02:33:17 PM »
Listened to Venus Isle today and that long, twisting solo in All About You is just brilliant. I was trying to think what other solo it vaguely reminded me of and it turned out to be Petrucci's at the end of Blind Faith. The similarity isn't immediately obvious, but those spiraling lines of notes (don't know how else to describe it) have a similar feel to me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2017, 04:03:29 PM »
Venus Isle is wonderful.  Lonely in the Night was always one of my favourites, such an amazing atmosphere.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2017, 05:35:59 PM »
I always thought Song for Lynette was pretty great as well.  Love the piano in that one.

And yeah, that solo in All About You is the bee's knees. :hat

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2017, 08:30:20 AM »
SRV kills me on that record.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2022, 03:21:40 PM »
Eric has TWO albums up for release in a few months!

Offline HOF

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2022, 03:46:08 PM »

He does, and the first song sounds a good bit like it could have been on Venus Isle. He apparently went back and finished off a bunch of old demos and partially finished songs during the shutdown for these albums.

https://open.spotify.com/album/2kipIDLTDxSHWM7MC6MqUx

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2022, 04:11:28 PM »
Playing 'Manhattan' right now off of the G3 DVD. It's amazing, this DVD has my favorite tracks by all of 'em: 'For the Love of God' (Vai), 'Flying in a blue Dream' (Satriani) and 'Manhattan'.

That's a great DVD!  I thought EJ's playing sort of balanced the entire show because he's definitely more melodic than Satch and Vai.  Good stuff!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2022, 04:28:03 PM »
If I wanted to hear something from Eric Johnson, what album would you guys recommend?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2022, 04:59:45 PM »
Ah! Via Musicom

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2022, 05:42:26 PM »
And also Venus Isle, where this absolute gem was taken from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjdzFYtARis

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2022, 05:45:21 PM »
If I wanted to hear something from Eric Johnson, what album would you guys recommend?

I'm not sure that you do.

Offline HOF

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2022, 06:10:06 PM »

Venus Isle is his masterpiece IMO (which means you probably won’t like it!). I’d probably recommend Ah Via Musicom for you as well. Tones is also really good. Those three are his essential works.

Offline HOF

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2022, 06:13:37 PM »

I'm not sure that you do.

Maybe we need to reopen the WTF Am I Missing roulette!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2022, 06:25:34 PM »
Venus Isle is one of my favorite albums ever.  I've seen him live several times and he's always fantastic.  Some of my clean electric guitar playing is a miserable attempt to mimic his style with the open chord voicings and such.  When he played "Wishing Well" with Mike Stern awhile back his clean tone and the harp harmonics he was playing were some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard.  None of the audience-recorded videos on YouTube in other cities do it justice. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2022, 06:26:03 PM »

Easily my fav song from EJ.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2022, 06:28:56 PM »

He does, and the first song sounds a good bit like it could have been on Venus Isle. He apparently went back and finished off a bunch of old demos and partially finished songs during the shutdown for these albums.

https://open.spotify.com/album/2kipIDLTDxSHWM7MC6MqUx

Soundtrack Life  :tup

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2022, 06:29:50 PM »

Easily my fav song from EJ.

That might be my second favorite.  First is "Battle We Have Won" with "Venus Reprise" as a coda. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 06:37:37 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2022, 06:34:29 PM »

Venus Isle is his masterpiece IMO (which means you probably won’t like it!).

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2022, 06:37:50 PM »
I remember as a teenager when I was all about the G3 scene I heard some older guys saying that Satch and Vai were cool and all, but Eric's playing had more depth than theirs did that people overlook because he's not as flashy.  I dismissed it at the time, but decades later, it turns out that they were right. 

Plini is probably my favorite modern guy in that mold for balancing melodicism, technicality, breadth, and depth. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2022, 06:38:48 PM »
Ah! Via Musicom

This Tim. Listen to High Landrons.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2022, 06:42:13 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2022, 07:16:45 PM »
I totally agree with the Venus Isle recs.  Killer album.  Ah Via Musicom is more well known, but Venus Isle is the better overall piece.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2022, 08:17:42 PM »
Depending on my mood AVM and Venus Isle are interchangeable as my favorite.

And learning TAC’s musical tastes over the years, I can’t seeing him being a fan of either.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?