Author Topic: Driving Has Lost its Cool for Young Americans  (Read 8602 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Driving Has Lost its Cool for Young Americans
« on: December 28, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »
https://www.grist.org/transportation/2011-12-27-driving-has-lost-its-cool-for-young-americans

Amidst all the hand-wringing over distracted driving, a critical point is getting lost. The problem isn't the texting -- it's the driving.

Clive Thompson made this argument in Wired last year:

When we worry about driving and texting, we assume that the most important thing the person is doing is piloting the car. But what if the most important thing they're doing is texting? How do we free them up so they can text without needing to worry about driving?

The answer, of course, is public transit. In many parts of the world where texting has become ingrained in daily life -- like Japan and Europe -- public transit is so plentiful that there hasn't been a major texting-while-driving crisis. You don't endanger anyone's life while quietly tapping out messages during your train ride to work in Tokyo or Berlin.

... Dramatically increasing public transit would also decrease our carbon footprint, improve local economies, and curtail drunk driving. (Plus, we'd waste less time in spiritually draining bumper-to-bumper traffic.)

Thompson cites Rich Ling, an American sociologist and expert on the culture of texting, who has moved with his family to Copenhagen. "[Ling] told me that Denmark has so many buses and streetcars that teenagers often don't bother getting their driver's license until later in life. 'My daughter is 18, and she's only sort of starting to think about driving,' he says."

But even though the U.S. lags way behind other developed countries on public transit, American teenagers are increasingly losing interest in driving too. Long gone are the days when a car symbolized ultimate freedom and cruising Main St. was a preferred teen pastime.

In 2008, just 31 percent of American 16-year-olds had their driver's licenses, down from 46 percent in 1983, according to a new study in the journal Traffic Injury Prevention. The numbers were down for 18-year-olds too, from 80 percent in 1983 to 65 percent in 2008, and the percentage of twenty- and thirtysomethings with driver's licenses fell as well. And even those with driver's licenses are trying to drive less; a new survey by car-sharing company Zipcar found that more than half of drivers under the age of 44 are making efforts to reduce the time they spend packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes.

The decline in driving by younger Americans is fed by many factors: the high cost of gas and insurance at a time of economic insecurity; tighter restrictions on teen drivers in many states; and roads that are more congested than ever, making driving less fun than ever.

But the impact of the internet is big too. "It is possible that the availability of virtual contact through electronic means reduces the need for actual contact among young people," says Michael Sivak, research professor at the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute and coauthor of the study on driver's licenses. "Furthermore, some young people feel that driving interferes with texting and other electronic communication."

"American youth have fallen out of love with automobiles" because of the rising cost of driving and the fact that they are "living their lives online," says Wall Street Journal auto columnist Dan Neil. No longer do teenagers need to drive to each others' houses or the mall to stay in touch with friends; they do it online.

"I don't think the car symbolizes freedom to Gen Y to the extent it did baby boomers, or to a lesser extent, Gen X-ers," says Sheryl Connelly, Ford Motor Co.'s global trends and futuring manager. "Part of it is that there are a lot more toys out there competing for the hard-earned dollars of older teens and young adults."

With younger Americans disproportionately unemployed and burdened by student and personal debt, those dollars are ever harder to come by. You can buy a lot of gadgets for just a fraction of the $8,500 the average American spends each year to maintain a car, not to mention the average cost of buying the car in the first place -- more than $29,000 for a new car, or more than $18,000 for a used one.

Plus, Millennials want to live in walkable urban cores instead of suburbs and exurbs that require residents to drive everywhere. And if they do have to drive occasionally, they're more likely than older Americans to consider car-sharing.

In short, younger Americans are craving an existence with little or no time behind the wheel -- and thus little or no opportunity for distracted driving. Unfortunately, our infrastructure and social systems are way behind the times.

Back to Clive Thompson:

Texting while driving is, in essence, a wake-up call to America. It illustrates our real, and bigger, predicament: The country is currently better suited to cars than to communication. This is completely bonkers.

By all means, we should ban texting while driving, or at least try. But we need to work urgently on making driving less necessary in the first place. Let's get our hands off the wheel and onto the keypad -- where they belong.

Amen.

Not really sure where she's going with the whole communication side of things, but as a young american I can definitely say I have zero interest in driving - I pretty much walk and bike everywhere, and if that infeasible I take the bus or train. I'm hoping I'll be able to continue living in a situation where I won't need a car, but not sure if that's going to be possible.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Driving Has Lost its Cool for Young Americans
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 03:31:45 PM »
I didn't get my license until last year. Last week was the first time I had driven since my test.

Still don't plan on getting a car. I mean, it costs me £1.70 for a return ticket (on the train) to get into the city centre. Why should I get a car?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 03:41:24 PM »
I've been seeing this coming for a while.  I love to drive,  but I'm feeling more and more like a dying breed. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »
I couldn't wait to get my license. I got my permits the day I turned 16, and went to my license test 4 months to the day after that.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 03:52:32 PM »
Where I grew up you needed a car.  I loved having a car.  I still love driving on the country roads back home.  I hate driving in urban or crowded areas though.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 03:55:05 PM »
This doesn't surprise me at all. When was the last "memorable" car made? The 60's, 70's and even the 80's to a certain extent had some cars that stood out in the general public's mind. Driving and the freedom that it represented was huge when I was a kid partly because the way that certain cars were romantisized. I know that the article isn't about this exactly but, I think it probably plays a big part in it.

///get off my lawn ect. ect...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 04:24:06 PM »
You just can't function without a car where I live. It's a 20-minute drive to get to anything substantial.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 04:24:10 PM »
I've always loved driving and having the freedom to quickly get to wherever you want to go all while being able to blast music and sing along no matter how bad you may sound.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 04:24:59 PM »
I've always loved driving and having the freedom to quickly get to wherever you want to go all while being able to blast music and sing along no matter how bad you may sound.

The thing I miss most about driving is listening to music and singing.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 04:26:43 PM »
The thing I miss most about driving is listening to music and singing.

It's one of the things I miss the most while being at college.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 04:27:46 PM »
I hear ya.  Ever since I moved into NYC and I have roomates I don't drive and I never sing anymore.  It sucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 04:30:08 PM »
This doesn't surprise me at all. When was the last "memorable" car made? The 60's, 70's and even the 80's to a certain extent had some cars that stood out in the general public's mind. Driving and the freedom that it represented was huge when I was a kid partly because the way that certain cars were romantisized. I know that the article isn't about this exactly but, I think it probably plays a big part in it.

Interesting question.  Part of me is inclined to say the Dodge Viper,  which actually had a great deal of character,  but the fact that few could afford them doesn't lend itself to the romance between Americans and cars.  My first thought was the Trans-Am,  but since there were actually four different cars sporting the exact same body,  it loses all sense of uniqueness.  That said,  my final answer would probably be the 280ZX (had one, myself).  Great styling,  great performance, and something that anybody could afford. 

One could make a fine argument for the Corvette,  but honestly,  after the early 80's and the C4 generation,  they really lost all of their character. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 04:32:03 PM »
The new ford mustangs were pretty hot for a while back when I was in high school.  There has definitely been a shift in how cars are sold.  They really are sold more for their practicality these days.  It's all about MPH and blue tooth enabled stuff.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 04:57:05 PM »
I'm 37, and have never owned a car. Bike, public transportation and Zipcar when necessary. Side effect: You can go on a trip around the world because you save a lot of money that way.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 05:14:03 PM »
I'm 37, and have never owned a car. Bike, public transportation and Zipcar when necessary. Side effect: You can go on a trip around the world because you save a lot of money that way.

rumborak

Maybe it's a cultural thing? How old were you when you came to america? Also, what is a zipcar?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 05:17:45 PM »
Why isn't this in GD?

Most of the US isn't suited for non-car ownership. And lots of people don't want to live in overcrowded urban cores where they are less necessary to daily life.

The car in the 50s and 60s was a way for teenagers to 1) Show off how badass/rich you (think you) are, and 2) Pick up chicks and have a place to screw them. Nowadays there are many more gadgets and bling to show how badass/rich you are, and more places/opportunities to screw your date. It wasn't so much about driving - at least in the A-to-B sense - as it was to have a car to be social, cruise, all that stuff that the author is saying we are using other stuff to do all that now.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »
Yeah, I need a car to do everything I have to do. I've never done mass transit before but I imagine it's not bad.

Offline j

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 05:33:09 PM »
One could make a fine argument for the Corvette,  but honestly,  after the early 80's and the C4 generation,  they really lost all of their character.

I was going to argue for the Corvette, but man I hate the body style of the C4.  I know it tends to be a favorite among true enthusiasts though.

As for the OP, I like the freedom that driving gives me: I can go exactly where I want, when I want, and I'm in control of every aspect of the trip.  I use public transportation too, and of course I'll walk if I'm downtown somewhere or whatever, but frankly I frequently go to too many places outside of the city I live in for not owning a car to be feasible.  Not to mention that public transportation WITHIN a large city is often inadequate, especially here in Texas where relatively little has been invested in it.

-J

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 05:55:37 PM »

Interesting question.  Part of me is inclined to say the Dodge Viper,  which actually had a great deal of character,  but the fact that few could afford them doesn't lend itself to the romance between Americans and cars.  My first thought was the Trans-Am,  but since there were actually four different cars sporting the exact same body,  it loses all sense of uniqueness.  That said,  my final answer would probably be he 280ZX (had one, myself).  Great styling,  great performance, and something that anybody could afford. 

You could argue that the Evo and Sti were iconic.... At least among young people.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 06:10:03 PM »

rumborak

Maybe it's a cultural thing? How old were you when you came to america? Also, what is a zipcar?

Well, I'm certainly drawing on my German culture with the idea that I don't need a car to be a "proper" person.
Zipcar is a quickly growing company that places cars all across the city that you can then rent by the hour. Awesome stuff, you don't worry about insurance or gas or whatever. It's all included in the price (~$10/hour)

rumborak

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 06:45:32 PM »
American society and cities were built on the backs of cheap, inconsequential oil.

Things are going to change, and it's time for this to be recognized.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 06:50:43 PM »

rumborak

Well, I'm certainly drawing on my German culture with the idea that I don't need a car to be a "proper" person.
Zipcar is a quickly growing company that places cars all across the city that you can then rent by the hour. Awesome stuff, you don't worry about insurance or gas or whatever. It's all included in the price (~$10/hour)

rumborak

I didn't mean for it to sound like I was insulting anyone that doesn't own a car. I apologize if it came off that way. It's just that I'm only a year older than you and car ownership has always been seen as a certain stepping stone for people of my generation in this country and it's good to see a different perspective.

As far as the zipcar thing goes, I live in a primarily rural area of the country and I don't think that something like that would work very well here but, I could see the benefits in a large metropolitan area.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 07:01:50 PM »
Oh no, dude, I didn't take it as an insult whatsoever :lol
You couldn't insult me with that at all, since I see it one of the things Germans/Europeans have down much better than Americans.

Yes, rural areas are tougher for not having a car, that's for sure. But, that said, I grew up in a semi-rural area too. And I did ride my bike for an hour to get to dance class in the neighboring city. You grow up knowing that's the way it is, and it's fine, because you're outside for an hour riding your bike.

rumborak

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 07:03:49 PM »
I'd love to live without a car. Unfortunately 90% of America is unsuitable for carless life. Really wish that would change though.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »
Well, it will, inevitably I think. Energy prices are gonna stay up for quite a while, and that will force people to get closer together.

rumborak

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 07:08:04 PM »
Hate using the car to go to work.

Love using the car to go for a long drive with the wife and we just get lost.

Same goes when I was 16.  (Minus the wife :lol)

I try to minimize as much as I can unless I have to drive.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 07:25:39 PM »
Yes, rural areas are tougher for not having a car, that's for sure. But, that said, I grew up in a semi-rural area too. And I did ride my bike for an hour to get to dance class in the neighboring city. You grow up knowing that's the way it is, and it's fine, because you're outside for an hour riding your bike.

rumborak

How did this work for you in the winter, though? That had to be uncomfortable to say the least.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 07:28:53 PM »
I couldn't wait to get my license. I got my permits the day I turned 16, and went to my license test 4 months to the day after that.
More or less this.

Considering how BAD our public transportation is I loathe having to take one of our few options. In major European cities it works like a charm. If you get one really late in Chicago you'll probably find a stab somewhere in your body after you leave the station; little towns of Colorado demand you a freaking car because
It's a 20-minute drive to get to anything substantial.
it was really annoying.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 07:29:39 PM »

rumborak

How did this work for you in the winter, though? That had to be uncomfortable to say the least.

You just live with it, seriously. I live in Boston, and outside of a maybe 2 or 3 weeks in January/February I ride my bike to work. And yes, if you don't suck, you can safely ride your bike through snow. You just learn what to look for, just like you learn what black ice looks like on a street.

rumborak

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2011, 07:32:16 PM »
Driving is something that I only do as a necessity.  I'd be happy to walk to every place I need, but unfortunately, almost all places are spread rather far apart in a haphazard manner where I live.  I do end up choosing to walk when it's an option.  Never learned how to bike, but would like to.   

Now, cars themselves I find very fascinating.  Especially C4s. 

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2011, 07:33:20 PM »
Back when I lived in Illinois I rode my bike to school through the snow, it's perfectly doable. Though I did slide out on some black ice at the bottom of a hill and break my arm one time.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 07:43:14 PM »
Back when I lived in Illinois I rode my bike to school through the snow, it's perfectly doable. Though I did slide out on some black ice at the bottom of a hill and break my arm one time.

For 15 miles?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2011, 07:47:52 PM »

I've worked for 5 years at my company and have been riding my bike there for as long. Fell once with my bike, and that's it. and many many times I have laughed at the poor souls who are stuck in traffic jams because of the weather. My commute takes 15 minutes, rain or shine.

rumborak

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 07:54:11 PM »
Bikers have always been criminally underserved in North American urban planning.  Bike lanes, especially those with separated rights-of-way are a cheap, massively useful way to free up road capacity, provide a fast way to work for many urban commuters, and improves the social fabric of neighbourhoods they're implemented in. 
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 07:56:22 PM »
I'm 20-25 minutes drive from work by car and the majority of that is at 65mph so, I'd be screwed if I had to ride a bike. I admire those of you that can swing doing that, though. As was mentioned earlier, the amount of money saved for those of you that have the option would make it well worth it.