Author Topic: Recommend me a great Fantasy/Sci-Fi series (of books)  (Read 3594 times)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Recommend me a great Fantasy/Sci-Fi series (of books)
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 10:11:59 AM »
Apart from the final fight, I thought the whole series was great.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 10:12:03 AM »
If that doesn't happen, Nekov, I will hunt you down without mercy!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
 :rollin
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 01:53:51 AM »
Not sure how I went so long without even knowing this series existed, but I read Zelazny's The Chronicles of Amber a few years ago, and found it thoroughly entertaining.

Damn good series.

I actually came in here to recommend Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.  Darkish fantasy-adventure with a host of memorable characters and story arcs.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 06:18:09 AM »
See I would recommend Goodkind's Sword of Truth as well, but it really starts to drag. The first two books are awesome, and Faith of the Fallen is pretty good, but the rest really arent good. I also feel like Goodkind gets wayyy too preachy as the series progresses...its turns into Ayn Rand-ism 101.

Overall, SoT is an alright series and I finished it (I didn't know it drags, and by the time I started to realize it did I was too far through), but after the first two books (which are really pretty enjoyable) it really starts to fall off. It makes it hard to recommend it because the ten or so books following the first two just wont be as rewarding.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:02:02 PM by FiberglassMoon »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 06:36:02 AM »
I've got to admit that that was kinda my problem with reading past The Gunslinger. Usually, it's very hard for me to finish a series when everyone I know tells me it tanks mid-way through. That is why I won't even think about picking up the second book of "Wheel of Time".

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 07:33:24 AM »
Don't read Sword of Truth.  It is horrendous.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 08:30:36 AM »
I've got to admit that that was kinda my problem with reading past The Gunslinger. Usually, it's very hard for me to finish a series when everyone I know tells me it tanks mid-way through.
But it doesn't.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 11:58:19 AM »
:lol No kidding.  So many problems with that series by the end.  At least he proved that writing half a book from the perspective of a complete idiot is a terrible idea.  Then Chainfire was like reading the same chapter over and over.  Hey Mr. Goodkind, if you say it enough time maybe people will have no choice but to agree with your ideas.  My brother bought me Phantom so I forced myself to read it, but that was it for me, and Phantom was actually better than Chainfire.

I've got to admit that that was kinda my problem with reading past The Gunslinger. Usually, it's very hard for me to finish a series when everyone I know tells me it tanks mid-way through. That is why I won't even think about picking up the second book of "Wheel of Time".
I'm rereading Wheel of Time right now.  The problem in the later books is that they stop becoming books and just happen to be a massive plot with numerous threads.  Each book has less focus, which coupled with his meandering style really brings the per book pace down.  If you wait for years for a book, that sucks, but reading them straight through it isn't as bad.  I think Wheel of Time would have been better suited to simply make about 3-5 parallel books at some point, each focused on a particular thread.   However, I don't think the series really changed a whole lot.  I actually felt book 1 was pretty weak for the series on rereading it, largely because I felt it was slow paced.  My favourite book in the series is #7, and the greatest scene is probably in #9, which is right over where people complain it starts tanking.  What is a bad book is #10, although I have a hard time faulting him because it was a cool idea(that failed miserably).

Unlike other series that tank, at least Wheel of Time is paying dividends at the end, all those threads that have taken books to work through are coming together nicely.  Over the last few years it has surprised me how much I still care when I've gotten the new books, so I still love it.  However, the issues are hard to deny, I don't typically recommend the series to any one.  ...at least not without describing the issues most people complain about.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 02:12:07 PM »
:lol No kidding.  So many problems with that series by the end.  At least he proved that writing half a book from the perspective of a complete idiot is a terrible idea.  Then Chainfire was like reading the same chapter over and over.  Hey Mr. Goodkind, if you say it enough time maybe people will have no choice but to agree with your ideas.  My brother bought me Phantom so I forced myself to read it, but that was it for me, and Phantom was actually better than Chainfire.

The first two books, albeit simple and far from groundbreaking, are enjoyable to read.  After that, it really does get kinda bad.  Pillars of Creation was a big waste of time.  My biggest issue was really that Goodkind seemingly went out of his way to be preachy and try to force his views down your throat. 

If the series had been, say, five books long, it would have been much more enjoyable. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
Well shit, don't pay any attention to my recommendation then. :\

OH WAIT....

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2011, 05:59:03 PM »
Well I honestly would recommend it, but after the first few books it does start to drag.  To read 7000-ish pages across 11 books is a big undertaking, so for me to recommend it, it would have to be really solid throughout the whole series. 

As I said, if SoT was shorter, it would be much more enjoyable.

And SoT does have memorable characters, I just didn't quite like the way Goodkind used them as the series progressed.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2011, 06:05:51 PM »
You said you have read RA Salvatore (my favorite author), but have you read all of his work, or just his Forgotten Realm stuff? His Demon Wars novels set it his own world are probably his best work along with the Dark Elf Trilogy.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2011, 06:14:08 AM »
Well I honestly would recommend it, but after the first few books it does start to drag.  To read 7000-ish pages across 11 books is a big undertaking, so for me to recommend it, it would have to be really solid throughout the whole series. 

And SoT does have memorable characters, I just didn't quite like the way Goodkind used them as the series progressed.

I'm obviously in the minority.  You win, recommendation rescinded.  Thought I was trying to help, I'll know to keep my mouth shut next time.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2011, 07:00:08 AM »
I'm not a fan of fascism, so I don't like the Sword of Truth series.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2011, 09:23:45 AM »

I'm obviously in the minority.  You win, recommendation rescinded.  Thought I was trying to help, I'll know to keep my mouth shut next time.
Oh come on, you like the series and that's what counts.  We're not criticizing you making a recommendation, we're criticizing the series.  If people only posted recommendations they knew had no chance of getting criticized we wouldn't have any recommendations.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2011, 11:24:58 AM »

I'm not trying to call you out or deter you from making recommendations, I'm just giving my opinion on the series.  Not everyone is going to agree on everything, that's just how the world works.  Sword of Truth really IS a good recommendation; it's a very successful series that tons of people have read (and enjoyed).  All I'm saying is that by the end I had some issues with the series that make it hard for me to recommend.  But, that's just me.

Again, I'm not trying to attack you or anything and I'm sorry I came off that way, I was just explaining my opinion on the series.  But that's all it is: my opinion.  That shouldn't stop you from recommending stuff at all.  Besides, I'd be interested to see what other stuff you enjoy considering we both read SoT, and probably have pretty similar tastes in fantasy.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2011, 03:46:34 PM »
I've got to admit that that was kinda my problem with reading past The Gunslinger. Usually, it's very hard for me to finish a series when everyone I know tells me it tanks mid-way through.
But it doesn't.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2011, 04:10:07 PM »
I'm a big fan of Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock.  A great character, and a great series of novels.

I was also always a big fan of the original Conan stories by Robert E. Howard.

Also, bosky mentioned the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny, which I cannot recommend highly enough.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2011, 05:33:34 PM »
I was really into Howard's Conan when I was young, read all I could get.  Every now and then I think about revisiting his work but am worried it might leave me disappointed.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2011, 06:26:32 PM »
I'm not trying to call you out or deter you from making recommendations, I'm just giving my opinion on the series.  Not everyone is going to agree on everything, that's just how the world works.  Sword of Truth really IS a good recommendation; it's a very successful series that tons of people have read (and enjoyed).  All I'm saying is that by the end I had some issues with the series that make it hard for me to recommend.  But, that's just me.

Again, I'm not trying to attack you or anything and I'm sorry I came off that way, I was just explaining my opinion on the series.  But that's all it is: my opinion.  That shouldn't stop you from recommending stuff at all.  Besides, I'd be interested to see what other stuff you enjoy considering we both read SoT, and probably have pretty similar tastes in fantasy.

Thanks for posting that.  Really.  For my part, I'll say that I definitely overreacted--which is really stupid to do, I know...

Besides the really obvious nod to The Hobbit (which I'm currently re-reading) and The Lord of the Rings, some fantasy series that I thought were really good were again The Chronicles of Amber, the original Dune series (Bashar Miles Teg remains one of my favorite characters from the series to this day--he's a freaking badass, in a good way), Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon series (especially The Mists of Avalon), Dragonlance (Chronicles and Tales), and the Harry Potter series.  I would've included A Song of Ice and Fire, but I have yet to read those books.

*runs*

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2011, 09:36:09 PM »
Thomas Covanent series by Stephen R. Donaldson
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2012, 12:29:19 AM »
The Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov. Years ago, it actually won the Hugo for best sci-fi series, ever.

Now, I'm not so sure about "great," (book two got really good for me, the others were... more confusing than anything), but if you want some interesting writing, try the "Ghormenghast" trilogy by Mervyn Peake.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2012, 01:26:49 AM »
But it doesn't.

Exactly books 4 and 7 are my favorite. The ending to that story is..  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2012, 05:23:16 AM »
A series I enjoyed when I was younger was Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern, but they may be too tame for today's readers, I don't know.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2012, 10:42:41 AM »
But it doesn't.

Exactly books 4 and 7 are my favorite. The ending to that story is..  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Book 5 is probably the lowest point in the series for me. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as the others.

Offline Tanatra

• Forum Spider
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2012, 10:33:54 PM »
The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. His other books (which take place in the same fantasy world) are great as well.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2012, 12:19:58 AM »

Besides the really obvious nod to The Hobbit (which I'm currently re-reading) and The Lord of the Rings, some fantasy series that I thought were really good were again The Chronicles of Amber, the original Dune series (Bashar Miles Teg remains one of my favorite characters from the series to this day--he's a freaking badass, in a good way), Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon series (especially The Mists of Avalon), Dragonlance (Chronicles and Tales), and the Harry Potter series.  I would've included A Song of Ice and Fire, but I have yet to read those books.

Yeah a bunch of people have told me that The Chronicles of Amber is really awesome, so I think I may have to pick that up.  Also, you definitely should real ASoIaF, it truly does live up to the hype.  And, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss is fantastic.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2012, 07:59:04 AM »
The 5 Dean Koontz Frankenstein novels are a wild spin on the Frankenstein story and a very good read, imo.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi