Poll

Choose...

Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events
139 (78.1%)
Transatlantic - The Whirlwind
39 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 177

Author Topic: A Dramatic Turn of Events vs. The Whirlwind  (Read 6993 times)

Offline darkshade

A Dramatic Turn of Events vs. The Whirlwind
« on: December 24, 2011, 01:13:07 AM »
I believe that with the addition to Mike Mangini to the DT line up, that Dream Theater has entered Supergroup Status. They aren't the traditional supergroup, having humble beginnings, but in 2011, Dream Theater have become a massive band. They can play whatever they want.

Transatlantic is more of a traditional supergroup, but their comeback album "The Whirlwind" proved they are more than your average prog supergroup, and really make some epic prog rock. (we're only talking the main disc, the bonus disc is not counted for this discussion)

So who made the better prog supergroup album? The prog-metal kings, or the symphonic prog masters?

Offline Mladen

Re: A Dramatic Turn of Events vs. The Whirlwind
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 03:08:50 AM »
The Whirlwind is great, but not as great as ADTOE.  :metal

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 03:17:45 AM »
I believe that with the addition to Mike Mangini to the DT line up, that Dream Theater has entered Supergroup Status. They aren't the traditional supergroup, having humble beginnings, but in 2011, Dream Theater have become a massive band. They can play whatever they want.

Transatlantic is more of a traditional supergroup, but their comeback album "The Whirlwind" proved they are more than your average prog supergroup, and really make some epic prog rock. (we're only talking the main disc, the bonus disc is not counted for this discussion)

So who made the better prog supergroup album? The prog-metal kings, or the symphonic prog masters?

You may be right, but isn't a supergroup a band made whose members come from different primary bands?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Hprog

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 03:31:33 AM »
Apples and oranges. Both great albums from two different bands with two different stylistic approaches.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 05:30:04 AM »
ADTOE > The Whirlwind

Offline krands85

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 06:11:34 AM »
The Whirlwind is great, but not as great as ADTOE.  :metal
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 06:42:22 AM »
The Whirlwind is basically a perfect album start to finish.  I love every aspect of its sound.  ADToE is STILL growing on me, and while I enjoy it, I doubt I will ever enjoy it as much.  It's not even in my top Dream Theater albums, and the only DT album I like more than The Whirlwind is Images and Words.

This is probably because I'm partial to Neal Morse's stylistic contributions to anything, but in some ways I really do feel like The Whirlwind is objectively the stronger album.  I can't defend why just now, because I've never thought to compare these two albums.

Anyway, The Whirlwind gets my vote easily.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 06:43:15 AM »
Had to think about it but I'm giving the win to DT... by small margin.

Really love The Whirlwind.

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 06:49:09 AM »
One thing I've come to realize in the few seconds since I made my last post is that I rarely like an entire DT album.  I even feel like SFaM, my second-favorite, has some weaknesses.  I do enjoy songs from Dream Theater albums, and when they're good, they're mind-blowing.  This is probably why I can put FII among my favorites; it's not THAT much of an exception for me in Dream Theater's catalog, in spite of having one very bad song.

The Whirlwind is both an album and a song.  As an album, it's consistently fantastic, much like Images and Words.  There really isn't a single moment I would change.  And while I hesitate to say ADToE has genuinely weak moments, "Build Me Up, Break Me Down," for example, is not strong enough to stand with their very best material.

I suppose my argument is consistency, then.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 06:51:36 AM »
ADTOE without a doubt. Whirlwind is good but I just can't stand Morse's vocals and wimpy ballads.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 07:31:54 AM »
The Whirlwind is one of my favorite albums ever and my official Christmas and other Holidays album. And I think ADTOE is horrible.

Just a question to the OP: how is the addition of MM the cause of DT becoming a supergroup? None of the arguments you presented for that is compelling. Two (and arguably three) of the members still have humble origins, they had become massive way before 2011 (if you refer to sales or status in the music community), and they've been playing whatever they wanted since the beginning. And what about your line "The Whirlwind proved they are more than your average prog supergroup, and really make some epic prog rock"? I read and reread it and it makes no sense whatsoever. In your mind, the Whirlwind proves that Transatlantic is more than the average supergroup because they "make some epic prog rock"? What did they make on their first two albums? Gangsta rap?

Offline Icebear

• The Sleeper
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 08:04:51 AM »
ADTOE has indeed grown on me, and I quite like it these days. But it's not even close to Whirlwind.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 09:22:54 AM »
ADTOE. I love The Whirlwind, but the "old-school" prog sound tires me after a while.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 09:28:04 AM »
The Whirlwind is basically a perfect album start to finish.  I love every aspect of its sound.  ADToE is STILL growing on me, and while I enjoy it, I doubt I will ever enjoy it as much.  It's not even in my top Dream Theater albums, and the only DT album I like more than The Whirlwind is Images and Words.

This is probably because I'm partial to Neal Morse's stylistic contributions to anything, but in some ways I really do feel like The Whirlwind is objectively the stronger album.  I can't defend why just now, because I've never thought to compare these two albums.

Anyway, The Whirlwind gets my vote easily.

I like you.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline TL

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 09:32:13 AM »
I love The Whirlwind, but I definitely prefer ADToE; it's such a great album.

And I think ADTOE is horrible.
I know statements like this are often just hyperbole, but I legitimately don't get how someone who likes DT at all could dislike ADToE. I could see it not being someone's favorite DT album, or even a person considering it just okay, but horrible? To me, ADToE captures the DT vibe so well. I'm not saying such an opinion is wrong (after all, it's opinion), but I really just don't get it.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 11:09:42 AM »
The whirlwind without a doubt, it's perfection from start to finish while ADTOE would be perfection without "This is the Life", I just don't like that song.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 11:49:25 AM »
It's not even a contest.

ADTOE > The Whirlwind
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline 02T

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 12:41:47 PM »
I love The Whirlwind and ADTOE.  For my taste, I listen to ADTOE more, but just having watched the latest Transatlantic DVD, I'll say the live performance of "The Whirlwind" is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen.
bradbaileymusic.com
Facebook.com/BradBaileyGTR
Twitter @BradBaileyGTR

Offline johncal

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 01:04:50 PM »
I love The Whirlwind, but I definitely prefer ADToE; it's such a great album.

And I think ADTOE is horrible.
I know statements like this are often just hyperbole, but I legitimately don't get how someone who likes DT at all could dislike ADToE. I could see it not being someone's favorite DT album, or even a person considering it just okay, but horrible? To me, ADToE captures the DT vibe so well. I'm not saying such an opinion is wrong (after all, it's opinion), but I really just don't get it.

You said "I legitimately don't get how someone who likes DT at all could dislike ADToE"

3 reasons:

1. Legitimately don't like ADTOE
2. MP Fanboy
3. Combination of the above.

Most would agree with reason #2.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »
Agree with the notion of comparing apples and oranges. ADTOE is a progressive metal ablum composed of songs; The Whirlwind is a progressive rock album that is essentially one 70 minute plus song with recurring musical and lyrical themes. Both are brilliant, but I really can't compare one to the other.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 02:45:07 PM »
It probably would have been harder for me to decide had The Whirlwind not had a ton of christian themes. Common Neal, leave the jesus lyrics for your solo stuff.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline johncal

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 02:58:03 PM »
It probably would have been harder for me to decide had The Whirlwind not had a ton of christian themes. Common Neal, leave the jesus lyrics for your solo stuff.

Being a Christian guy myself, I find it refreshing. That's who Neil is. Also, JP's favorite record for 2011 is a Christian band. There's plenty of non-specific groups out there for those that don't approve.

• EB
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 03:15:21 PM »

Being a Christian guy myself, I find it refreshing. That's who Neil is. Also, JP's favorite record for 2011 is a Christian band. There's plenty of non-specific groups out there for those that don't approve.
I'm not against christian music or anything, it just gets annoying how he shoves it down our throats by incorporating it in EVERYTHING he puts out.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 05:38:09 PM »
ADTOE easily, as The Whirlwind was one of the biggest disappointments of 2009.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 07:17:38 PM »

I'm not against christian music or anything, it just gets annoying how he shoves it down our throats by incorporating it in EVERYTHING he puts out.
How is that shoving his religion down your throat? Neal writes Christian music. If you don't want it "shoved down your throat", it's as easy as not listening to it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 08:05:31 PM »
This was a tough one, but I went with The Whirlwind, mostly because I love pretty much whatever Neal releases, especially if it has Mike drumming on it. This was their come-back album, and I hope we get at least one or two more from them in the coming years, but this album has a LOT on it, and while that may turn off some fans, it's right up my alley. It's big, it's epic, it's got repeated themes, it's got some AWESOME musicianship (most notably Pete's bass playing, and his levels in the mix are just astounding!).

ADTOE is great, but it's still growing on me. It definitely wowed me the first time I heard it, but BMUBMD was a bit of a o.O moment for me, as was the intro to BITS, but it's got some awesome songs and sections, but with The Whirlwind, because of the nature of the album (being a concept album), I knew to get into it as a whole, so I absorbed it entirely, yet slowly. With an album like ADTOE, I absorbed individual songs at a time (mostly OTBOA at first, then the chunk of FFH/BAI/BTS, then LNF and Outcry, and finally BMUBMD and TITL), so it's become a bit uneven for me, in terms of enjoyment. By now, though, I've come to appreciate each song for what it is.

Just for fun...

Mix - Tie (The mix on both albums are top notch and I cannot fault either album in this aspect)
Lyrics - ADTOE (I love TW's lyrics, but ADTOE has some touching pieces, and features the triumphant return of JMX to lyric writing!)
Writing - TW (Considering the album was pieced together mostly by Neal and Roine, with bits from Pete, and in-studio jamming, it's amazing what came together in a week and how cohesive it all feels!)
Vocal Performance - TW (I love Neal's/Roine's vocals on TW, and I'm very happy to have heard lead vocals from Pete and Mike)
Guitar Performance - Tie (JP has some great stuff on ADTOE, but it's all very 'usual' to me, while Roine has some fantastic solos on TW)
Bass Performance - TW (Pete's levels and performance just take the cake, and TW might be the best bass guitar studio recording I've ever heard)
Keyboard Performance - ADTOE (No offense to Neal, who is an amazing player, but JR has some great skills and wasn't afraid to let it all out on the last album)
Drum Performance - ADTOE (although MP does some of his BEST drumming on TW, MM slightly edges out)

With two ties and a 3-3 match, it's pretty even, but I think because TW has been out longer and has had a LOT more time to digest, it's become a favorite that will take awhile to top. It's really close, and while Dream Theater are my 2nd favorite band, Transatlantic are not far behind, and it will take a lot for any future album to top something like The Whirlwind.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Pinga

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 08:10:57 PM »
The Whirlwind is rather boring, so ADTOE. That said, ADTOE is rather great (edit), whether The Whirlwind is boring or not.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 06:18:12 PM by Pinga »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »
Both are awesome, and completely different from each other.  I'm not picking.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 08:54:05 PM »
ADTOE, but I love WW, and I seem to be moving away from liking prog-whatever so much. Both are great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2011, 12:15:10 AM »
Assuming that everyone here has heard ADTOE (considering this is a DT site), I wonder how many people voting for it have actually heard The Whirlwind from start to finish.  And I mean, actually listened to it. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2011, 12:20:19 AM »
Funny enough, here on DTF, DT is winning. I posted the same poll on Progarchives, and The Whirlwind is winning there.

And............

The reason I put these 2 albums is because I assume most people have checked out The Whirlwind, considering Portnoy is on drums.

• EB
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2011, 01:16:15 AM »

How is that shoving his religion down your throat? Neal writes Christian music. If you don't want it "shoved down your throat", it's as easy as not listening to it.

Fair enough.

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2011, 01:34:28 AM »
Both are awesome, and completely different from each other.  I'm not picking.

Same here  :tup

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2011, 02:33:37 AM »
Assuming that everyone here has heard ADTOE (considering this is a DT site), I wonder how many people voting for it have actually heard The Whirlwind from start to finish.  And I mean, actually listened to it. 

Agreed, I doubt there at least 92 TA fans in the world.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2011, 03:00:08 AM »
This is why I wish people didn't vote if they haven't heard both albums. And not just in this poll, but in general.