Author Topic: So, I played BITS on bass ...  (Read 850 times)

Offline (nothing)

So, I played BITS on bass ...
« on: December 22, 2011, 02:28:46 PM »
... which you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXR6Olg1xhE&feature=channel_video_title

I'm kinda troubled though because there is a bit of lag in the first seconds I play (it's noticeable) and since it's at the beginning, I think it would bother people watching it (later audio and video lock in perfectly). I got that because of latency (which is natural since I apply VST plugins to my raw signal while I'm playing so a lot of CPU power is eaten).

Anyway, I'd like you guys to tell me what you think on this, if you think I should re-record or if you think it's ok etc.

Thanks for the feedback! =D

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
Re: So, I played BITS on bass ...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 08:58:13 AM »
Pretty well played! Personally I won't even try this song, my fingers just aren't that fast. I'm more built to play funk and that kind of stuff. Anyway, it kinda proves that my dislike for bass following guitars when things get speedy isn't silly. Fast riffing on the lower strings and notes on a bass cannot possibly sound good. It's just flop flop flop, no matter who's playing it (nature of the instrument), and probably a pretty good reason why bass is often mixed low in those situations. Myung isn't exactly up front during the heavy riffing after the final chorus, which is 100% understandable from a mixing POV. I'm pretty sure that even Myung's recording in solo or just loud in the mix would sound awful during that part of the song.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 11:39:13 AM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 06:24:08 PM »
Oh yeah you're absolutely right, when notes get low it just gets kind of pitch-less. At such speeds, you only care about getting the pulse right (i.e. your playing has to be tight rhythmically), if you get one or two notes wrong it's not such big of a deal, only very well-trained ears are able to tell the difference.

And I know exactly what you mean about fingers being fast! For guys with small hands like me, it takes even more practice to get to that level of playing physically.

Thanks for the feedback =D

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 10:09:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM6Pu6opd6w

So I covered The Count of Tuscany too, after BITS and ITPOE pt.1 and ITPOE pt.2 is on the way. I didn't want to open a new thread for this so I just put the link here.

Feedback is greatly appreciated, and if you have any specific requests, I'd be happy to consider them. Peace out!  :yarr