Author Topic: Official TV Thread v. It Finally Happened  (Read 151039 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Re: Official TV Thread v. It Finally Happened
« Reply #1365 on: May 02, 2014, 09:48:35 PM »
I think the timeline on the show is much longer but with what, 13 episodes and 40 minutes?  They have to throw a lot in there to keep it going. Plus adding all those killers in as often as they do helps build the layers of madness for both Will and Hannibal. If you go back to Red Dragon...Hannibal had really fucked with Will. Over that 3 season story arc thats what they're building.  But this show is amazing in its depth.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1366 on: May 02, 2014, 10:07:28 PM »
Also loved tonights episode where we meet Mason Verger for the first time and his fascination with training man-eating pigs! Awesome! I love this show!
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1367 on: May 02, 2014, 10:12:02 PM »
Anyone catch the 'Vikings' season finale? I liked it a lot!! I was hoping the whole time that Floke (i guess that's how you spell his name) wasn't betraying Ragnal but they did a good job editing it in a way where you couldn't really tell until the end that he wasn't. You had the sense Ragnel knew what was going on.....it's a really cool show. 

I was hating about the first 3/4 of it, because I really didn't want Floki to turn, and I didn't want anyone I liked to die such as Rollo, and King Horik was turning into a total douche. But then at the end when it came together, and they all started taking shots at Horik, I loved it. So glad there will be a S3!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1368 on: May 03, 2014, 05:16:45 PM »
Also loved tonights episode where we meet Mason Verger for the first time and his fascination with training man-eating pigs! Awesome! I love this show!

Just caught up the latest episode too. This show is incredible.

And they nailed mason perfectly. Definitely comes off as a demented slimeball. Can't wait to see him on H's couch:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1369 on: May 05, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »
Hannibal Watchers:

I dont' recall from any of the previous encarnations of Will Graham him being a murderer? I knew he was psychologically traumatized by Hannibal and even severely injured....but the recent murders that Will committed lends itself to him being a bit more sinister this time around.

Unless he and Jack have somehow fabricated those murders in order to gain the ability for Will to 'get closer' to Hannibal.....almost team up with them. I mean, it was only implied that the meat they were eating was the reporter.....they never actually showed him kill her. And, Will asked her to remain calm and he could explain. Maybe the murders were 'faked'? I don't know. It just seems odd that his character is suddenly 'becoming' this murderer. I've never read the books....but I've seen every movie....even the original Red Dragon with William Peterson and Graham was never depicted in this nature. Not that it doesn't make things that much more interesting.....because it does.....just curious as to other opinions on the matter.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1370 on: May 10, 2014, 09:40:38 PM »
Orphan Black keeps being awesome!

These new characters and developments have been very interesting so far.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1371 on: May 11, 2014, 02:17:22 AM »
So I don't typically watch the History Channel these days, but I'm really digging American Restoration.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1372 on: May 11, 2014, 03:17:29 AM »
I catch bits of that show every week, but I never like the job they do of "restoring" things.
They make everything look squeaky clean, and choose awful colours that would never have been on the original, and paint bits that shouldn't be painted. The people who get these items restored are never sticklers for authenticity, but I can imagine how many viewers wince at what gets done to these classic items. I only watch it so we can whine about the job they do. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1373 on: May 11, 2014, 05:19:21 PM »
I noticed that a time or two, but it didn't really bother me. A fair amount of the things I've seen were restored to the original color, like the Hershey dispenser, 50's gas pump, and some vintage bicycle.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1374 on: May 12, 2014, 06:30:10 AM »
Really digging season 2 of Orphan Black.  Great stuff!

Also enjoying BBCAmerica's series History of Science Fiction.  A lot of it is stuff I already knew, but it's very entertaining.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1375 on: May 12, 2014, 09:39:21 PM »
Any 24 fans around here? I'm curious to see how this reboot of the series plays out.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1376 on: May 13, 2014, 05:30:12 AM »
I haven't watched 24, just what I've caught on TV back in the day, probably season 1. Was too lazy to watch the whole thing so I read the wiki synopsis of the seasons and now I plan to follow it. It's nice to have a Chuck Norris show on TV to mix things up.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1377 on: May 13, 2014, 06:01:52 AM »
Any 24 fans around here? I'm curious to see how this reboot of the series plays out.

Well I've seen the first 2 episodes and you know what your getting.  I always liked this series and so far it hasn't skipped a beat.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: May 13, 2014, 06:32:48 AM »
Really digging season 2 of Orphan Black.  Great stuff!

Also enjoying BBCAmerica's series History of Science Fiction.  A lot of it is stuff I already knew, but it's very entertaining.

This! Every word.

I'm always amazed with the lead actress in Orphan Black. She actually makes it difficult NOT to separate her characters! A marvelous acting achievement. Also, the writers have taken a completely implausible story--even melodramatic--and made it fun, mature and compelling. A great series.

I've watched one episode of The Real History of Science Fiction but have the others DVR'd. I just need to find time to watch it. I though it was good fun.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1379 on: May 13, 2014, 08:12:53 AM »

Well I've seen the first 2 episodes and you know what your getting.  I always liked this series and so far it hasn't skipped a beat.

I have to agree. Just watched last night's episode- feels like classic 24. Love the London setting as well, and there are a couple intriguing new characters in the mix. :caffeine:

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1380 on: May 13, 2014, 08:52:29 AM »
Why are we calling it a reboot? It's just a mini season 9

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1381 on: May 13, 2014, 09:38:27 AM »
I guess reboot implies that it's starting over from a new beginning, in which case I misused it. What I was trying to get across was that it was presumed to be completely done after season 8, and then they brought it back to life. Not sure what to call that- I guess 'revival' is more appropriate

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1382 on: May 13, 2014, 11:33:16 AM »
Yeah, I don't know why they bother with a new title. Easier just calling it season 9 lol

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1383 on: May 15, 2014, 02:05:51 PM »
There's an extensive trailer for The Flash!

https://youtu.be/Yj0l7iGKh8g

If it's anywhere near as good as Arrow, i'll be extremely pleased. The creators of Arrow has taken special care with the series so far, especially in not trying to make it into a cheesy, tween drama like Smallville. With this...and Arrow....i would be extremely disappointed if DC didn't add them into their Cinematic Universe

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1384 on: May 15, 2014, 02:57:35 PM »
Almost positive I read a comment several months ago from a DC executive who said there would be no connection between the TV shows and the movies.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1385 on: May 15, 2014, 04:09:17 PM »
Waahh! Figures. Stephen Amell is one heck of a Green Arrow, as well as Manu Bennett portraying Deathstroke

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1386 on: May 17, 2014, 06:17:11 AM »
I don't watch the show (although I've heard good things about it), but to me that is another sign that Warner Bros./DC just don't get it.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1387 on: May 17, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
Season 3 of Fringe so far is a whole other level of awesomeness.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1388 on: May 17, 2014, 07:56:18 PM »
Hannibal's latest episode is sick.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1389 on: May 17, 2014, 08:59:15 PM »
Hannibal's latest episode is sick.

That entire scene of Mason feeding his face to Will's dogs was just outright disturbing. The manner in which they didn't show you his face but really did was very creatively done. I can see why the exec's at NBC like this show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1390 on: May 25, 2014, 03:20:59 PM »
Hannibal's season finale did not disappoint at all. Neither did The Good Wife - that whole 5th season was pure awesomeness. Highly recommend watching that show.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1391 on: May 25, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »
House MD is a pretty good show.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1392 on: May 25, 2014, 11:21:30 PM »
Someone recommend something for me. I've finished Breaking Bad and have nothing to watch. I'm looking for something that has maybe an ensemble cast, great character chemistry, and a progressing storyline. Comedic elements desired but not required. My friends suggested Game of Thrones, but I think that's probably a bit violent for my liking.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1393 on: May 25, 2014, 11:24:18 PM »
Mad Men is great, and is often considered on par with Breaking Bad, though I will warn you that the plot progresses extremely slowly at times.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1394 on: May 25, 2014, 11:41:20 PM »
Mad Men is great, and is often considered on par with Breaking Bad, though I will warn you that the plot progresses extremely slowly at times.
Slow plot progression doesn't bother me if the show is good enough, as long as there is a plot.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1395 on: May 25, 2014, 11:44:35 PM »
Someone recommend something for me. I've finished Breaking Bad and have nothing to watch. I'm looking for something that has maybe an ensemble cast, great character chemistry, and a progressing storyline. Comedic elements desired but not required. My friends suggested Game of Thrones, but I think that's probably a bit violent for my liking.
Suits, The Good Wife and if you're a bit into guilty pleasures - Revenge. Fringe, if you've somehow missed it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1396 on: May 26, 2014, 07:07:36 AM »
Very bittersweet episode of Mad Men last night.

I will miss Bert Cooper.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1397 on: May 26, 2014, 07:46:22 AM »
Anybody here watching Showtime's Penny Dreadful?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1398 on: May 26, 2014, 08:04:54 AM »
Try Game of Thrones anyway, since it's the best thing on TV.

Also, Orphan Black.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1399 on: May 26, 2014, 09:07:35 AM »
Mad Men is absolutely excellent, but it has less a plot and more just a series of things occurring that propel the drama. Also the first few episodes can be positively glacial at times.

True Detective was so awesome. Watch it. Watch it now.

Justified is a great show too with some great acting and writing. It has a nice mix of action and dead-pan, black humor.

The Wire is one of the best shows ever made and totally should be watched by everyone.

Anybody here watching Showtime's Penny Dreadful?
I watched the pilot but I wasn't very impressed. Plus I don't have Showtime, so that makes it hard to watch. :)