Author Topic: The Hobbit Thread - Official trailer  (Read 6627 times)

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
Re: The Hobbit Thread - Official trailer
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 12:33:03 PM »
It did exactly what it was meant to do.  It let you know that the movie is coming, it told you who all the main characters are and who was making the film, and how it ties into the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  Teasers don't give away any of the plot.  I would've liked at least one interesting action shot (giant Mirkwood spiders, maybe Smaug), but since that will be all CG and probably isn't done yet, this is what we get.
Err... this was definitely not a teaser. A 2 minutes and 12 seconds trailer.

And you know what (not you Orbert, rhetorical question)? It's shit. Let's pretend I haven't read the book. Why am I going to watch this movie? Because there was a successful trilogy before? Well, yeah, maybe that's one reason. But to be honest this trailer was a piece of crap. I don't know what this movie it's going to be about. "Duh, he's telling Frodo a story" About what? According to this trailer it's about how he had a friend that's a wizard and that there are other characters with weird and similar names in it who like to sing, there's a broken sword and a creepy figure whispering "my precious" and that's it. Based solely on this trailer I have no idea what this movie is about or why, despite the nice special effects, I should go and see it. Terrible trailer. That guy who edited it should be fired.

judging by what you said about the new batman trailer, you know that peter jackson made the other ones and hes making this one so it will be given the same care as the LOTR trilogy, despite the teaser quality. just like you know christopher nolan makes good movies regardless of the TDKR trailer

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2011, 12:34:13 PM »
ITT:  emindead gets a warning. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2011, 12:36:07 PM »
^That.  And consider this a reminder that coming into threads and trolling them is not something we encourage here, regardless of the thread topic.
I will watch this movie. No idea where the "trolling" notion comes from. Objectively that trailer was done to give fanboys something to feed from, not something a regular spectator will enjoy and get good information on what this movie is about. If they did this trailer solely so fanboys can push back a bit their cravings, then I guess "what a good job, editor."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2011, 12:41:38 PM »
It did exactly what it was meant to do.  It let you know that the movie is coming, it told you who all the main characters are and who was making the film, and how it ties into the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  Teasers don't give away any of the plot.  I would've liked at least one interesting action shot (giant Mirkwood spiders, maybe Smaug), but since that will be all CG and probably isn't done yet, this is what we get.

And you know what (not you Orbert, rhetorical question)? It's shit. Let's pretend I haven't read the book. Why am I going to watch this movie? Because there was a successful trilogy before? Well, yeah, maybe that's one reason. But to be honest this trailer was a piece of crap. I don't know what this movie it's going to be about. "Duh, he's telling Frodo a story" About what? According to this trailer it's about how he had a friend that's a wizard and that there are other characters with weird and similar names in it who like to sing, there's a broken sword and a creepy figure whispering "my precious" and that's it. Based solely on this trailer I have no idea what this movie is about or why, despite the nice special effects, I should go and see it. Terrible trailer. That guy who edited it should be fired.
judging by what you said about the new batman trailer, you know that peter jackson made the other ones and hes making this one so it will be given the same care as the LOTR trilogy, despite the teaser quality. just like you know christopher nolan makes good movies regardless of the TDKR trailer
I'm sure both movies will be great. But both trailers were terrible (and you know what, at least Batman did release a teaser), each in its own way. And that's what I was just pointing out. The Hobbit is supposed to be a new story; based on the trailer I have NO idea what this movie is about.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:20:42 PM by emindead »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 12:48:31 PM »
Emindead, this isn't sarcastic at all, but could you explain the difference between a trailer and teaser? I honestly don't know. Both TDKR and Hobbit teaser/trailer look the same in format and purpose to me... I simply figured teasers were quite short and to the point, introducing a basic plot, release date, etc.; and a trailer simply being an expansion of a teaser, yet you called TDKR a teaser and... Eyes confuzzled.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »
^That.  And consider this a reminder that coming into threads and trolling them is not something we encourage here, regardless of the thread topic.
I will watch this movie. No idea where the "trolling" notion comes from. Objectively that trailer was done to give fanboys something to feed from, not something a regular spectator will enjoy and get good information on what this movie is about. If they did this trailer solely so fanboys can push back a bit their cravings, then I guess "what a good job, editor."
Like I said, the movie is still a whole year off, they're not going to release THAT much in a two minute teaser, yeah I said teaser as that's exactly what it is.  Also how can you not tell Bilbo will be going a massive quest with the group of dwarves?  They gleen a little of the conversation with him and Gandalf talking about if he'll even make it back to have a tale to tell.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2011, 01:08:41 PM »
ITT: the usual internet "everything is shit" policy gets a work out.

Okay, let's pretend that I haven't read these books AND somehow managed to miss three of the most successful films of all time. What do I learn from this trailer?

A wizard comes to an ordinary guy, introduces him to a boatload of dwarves, and they go off to have an adventure.

What is the basic premise of The Hobbit?

A wizard comes to an ordinary guy, introduces him to a boatload of dwarves, and they go off to have an adventure.

Yeah, the trailer really blew it at getting across the basics.

And given that this is a prequel to one of the most successful and beloved movie franchises of all time, the odds that you're pitching this at people who have no idea what's going on rest at roughly slim to none.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2011, 01:15:40 PM »
Emindead, this isn't sarcastic at all, but could you explain the difference between a trailer and teaser? I honestly don't know. Both TDKR and Hobbit teaser/trailer look the same in format and purpose to me... I simply figured teasers were quite short and to the point, introducing a basic plot, release date, etc.; and a trailer simply being an expansion of a teaser, yet you called TDKR a teaser and... Eyes confuzzled.
I get why you would be confused. TDKR released a Trailer two days ago. The original TEASER was released August 1st. Look at this website, they show both teaser and trailer: https://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thedarkknightrises/

Teaser and Trailer are two kinds of footage of a movie that shows difference between them when it comes to the duration, nature and characteristics. It is important to know that a teaser is shorter than a trailer. In other words, it can be said that a trailer runs approximately for three minutes. On the other hand, a teaser should  run for a maximum of one minute only (this is not always the case, e.g. the TDKR run for 1:31, but the special thing is that it showed only one specific scene that tries to depict the tone of this movie (the desperation, the need for the hero.) The Trailer wants to give you this general sense plus more action (or whatever the genre) scenes. I think this is the main difference between teaser and trailer.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2011, 01:22:46 PM »

You're forgetting one important point.   The franchise is big enough to assume that most of their audience already has a passing familiarity with what is going on.  This is one of the single biggest movie franchises in history (as big as Star Wars, Harry Potter etc etc...if not bigger)....and it is (in all probability) the top selling fantasy book series of all time.  They are preaching to the choir and they KNOW THAT.    They *don't need* to give what the movie is about...most of the people who are already hooked, already know.  And *THAT* is who this trailer is aimed at. 

What you're claiming would be the same as saying that "The Phantom Menace" trailer didn't say anything about what the movie was about.   It didn't have to...because if you didn't see the first three, you weren't going to see this one.    Same thing with The Hobbit.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2011, 01:28:05 PM »

You're forgetting one important point.   The franchise is big enough to assume that most of their audience already has a passing familiarity with what is going on.  This is one of the single biggest movie franchises in history (as big as Star Wars, Harry Potter etc etc...if not bigger)....and it is (in all probability) the top selling fantasy book series of all time.  They are preaching to the choir and they KNOW THAT.    They *don't need* to give what the movie is about...most of the people who are already hooked, already know.  And *THAT* is who this trailer is aimed at. 

What you're claiming would be the same as saying that "The Phantom Menace" trailer didn't say anything about what the movie was about.   It didn't have to...because if you didn't see the first three, you weren't going to see this one.    Same thing with The Hobbit.

Objectively that trailer was done to give fanboys something to feed from, not something a regular spectator will enjoy and get good information on what this movie is about. If they did this trailer solely so fanboys can push back a bit their cravings, then I guess "what a good job, editor."

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2011, 01:28:58 PM »
You're still ignoring the fact they describe the basic plot.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »
I didn't see rumborak anwhere in it.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline jammindude

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2011, 01:32:48 PM »
I'm just saying that if you criticize The Hobbit for it, you have to criticize every trailer that ever had a target audience.   I never saw a Harry Potter movie or read any of the books, and I have to say I NEVER understood any of the trailers except the first one.   They were pretty generic...but they found their target audience.

It just seems silly to single out LOTR, when I can't think of a single franchise that hasn't been guilty of the exact same thing.  (including TDKR...I think it's awesome, but if I hadn't seen the first two, it wouldn't tell me anything more than The Hobbit trailer did).   

If anything, I applaud them for not "dumbing it down"...they already know what we know, so they don't have to explain it to us like we were children. 

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
Fine. This movie is about "we're having an adventure!" Not what the adventure is about but just... adventure. Good trailer.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2011, 01:36:48 PM »
Fine. This movie is about "we're having an adventure!" Not what the adventure is about but just... adventure. Good trailer.
WHY would they spell out the adventure when the trailer is about Bilbo telling Frodo, I have a tale I have not yet told you, and it's quite a tale, WHY just spill out what it's all about, they got the point across that it would be perilous, and who was going on it, do you want them to just give away the entire movie?

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2011, 01:40:15 PM »
Very excited about this movie, looks exactly like the style of LOTR which is a good thing. Martin Freeman will be awesome.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »
I'm just saying that if you criticize The Hobbit for it, you have to criticize every trailer that ever had a target audience. I never saw a Harry Potter movie or read any of the books, and I have to say I NEVER understood any of the trailers except the first one.   They were pretty generic...but they found their target audience.
To be honest TDKR and this movie are the only ones making a fuzz right now and have a franchise behind it. I'm not trying to single out anyone, I'm just pointing out that these trailers suck. THAT'S IT.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2011, 02:34:30 PM »
People everywhere are calling it a teaser, so whatever. I do wish they had included a line mentioning the dragon to explain why they're going on an adventure, but otherwise it's a pretty effective teaser/trailer/mission/quest/thing. I generally can't stand trailers and they way they're edited, but this one was pretty good. And finally, a major movie without Manhattan in it! :P

If people have problems with this for its lack of action, then they're going to have problems with the movie itself, because The Hobbit is kind of an episodic adventure story with a lot of whimsy. FOTR is by far my favorite LOTR movie, and this seems similar in a way so that's good for me.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline ehra

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2011, 03:17:53 PM »
Let's pretend I haven't read the book. Why am I going to watch this movie?

Has this been shown in theaters or anything? As far as I'm aware this is just something released online, in which case the only way you'd know about the trailer in the first place is if you were already keeping up on news on the movie or someone you know sent it to you.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2011, 03:26:38 PM »
Has this been shown in theaters or anything? As far as I'm aware this is just something released online, in which case the only way you'd know about the trailer in the first place is if you were already keeping up on news on the movie or someone you know sent it to you.
It debuted Tuesday at 10pm online. Will accompany TinTin and probably a few other movies soon.

And just for reference, here's the "teaser" of FoTR: https://youtu.be/w-7x5D3v6jE

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2011, 04:36:22 PM »
I'm wet.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2011, 04:54:58 PM »
People everywhere are calling it a teaser, so whatever.
Really? YouTube calls it trailer, Apple calls it trailer, even this thread calls it a trailer! :lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2011, 05:06:32 PM »
People everywhere are calling it a teaser, so whatever.
Really? YouTube calls it trailer, Apple calls it trailer, even this thread calls it a trailer! :lol
Huh I'm pretty sure he said people, not Websites.  Also, I'm pretty sure at least here, it was being used synonymously with teaser.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2011, 05:11:51 PM »
*sigh* OK, people here (where I live) and everywhere I've talked says Trailer. Why? Because it's a trailer. I've explained what's a trailer and what's a teaser.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2011, 05:18:07 PM »
Oh Jesus Christ who really gives a fuck?!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2011, 05:21:57 PM »
Saw the trailer. It was pretty good, but no mention of a Dragon is kinda lame

Dwarves look REALLY weird. Maybe it's because the only dwarf we're used to seeing is Gimli (and I guess Gloin in Elrond's Council), but they just don't look right. Thorin Oakenshield looks FAR too young.

Things I'm most looking forward to:

Beorn
Travels through Northern Mirkwood, encounter with Thranduil/elves
Bert, Tom, and Bill
Riddles in the Dark
Battle of Five Armies
Encounter with Smaug

Weird things:

White Council
WTF is Galadriel hitting on Gandalf?

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2011, 05:27:03 PM »
Apparently, people who got hurt that I explained why this trailer is bad.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2011, 05:32:48 PM »
Apparently, people who got hurt that I explained why this trailer is bad.
You're one of the very very few.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2011, 05:33:21 PM »
Okay we got it there are differing opinions now everyone just shut up and get back in the pile thank you

WTF is Galadriel hitting on Gandalf?

:lol

Oh and Tony mentioned the dragon thing too, but I'm assuming that's because they haven't done that yet...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2011, 06:30:39 PM »
Remember folks...I sincerely doubt there will be ANY battle of the five armies or Smaug in this movie.   It's already been spelled out that The Hobbit will be *TWO MOVIES*...  I have no idea where the split will take place, but since both of those things happen in the second half of the book, I'm betting they are saving it for Part 2.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2011, 07:36:34 PM »
I liked the trailer.  :biggrin: Favorite part was the introduction of the Dwarves names and them singing. Still not sold on stretching it to two movies, but if they can find a balance between the lighter moment of the story with the epic feel of the trilogy while remaining faithful to the books...yeah this could be awesome.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2011, 07:46:40 PM »
Since Gollum is about as far as we can see in the trailer I'm gonna guess that the first movie will end with them escaping the goblin lair. It's somewhere towards the middle and it a good spot to split it if you have to.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2011, 07:56:41 PM »
I'm not sure that's where they're going to split it though because there's still the White Council subplot that doesn't directly appear in the book. I had heard a while ago that the first movie would end right before the battle of five armies, but there's a lot of stuff to get through before that

Offline jammindude

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2011, 08:46:46 PM »
That would seem (to me) to be alot to stretch out for the second movie. 

I mean, if this movie were to end just before the battle of the 5 armies, then it would end with the battle with Smaug.   Now...that would make a *great* climax to the first movie (no doubts there)...but it leaves very little story for even a two hour movie when it comes time for part 2.

Color me skeptical. 

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2011, 09:02:25 PM »
Well, again, there's the Gandalf driving out the Necromancer story to flesh out, so we'll see.