Author Topic: Dropping the tuning of songs to help Labrie out?  (Read 17993 times)

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Re: Dropping the tuning of songs to help Labrie out?
« Reply #245 on: October 17, 2022, 03:59:43 PM »
I am just listening (so many times now) to Live in London. I don't understand all the discontent about his voice. He sounds great! I was there, and he sounded the same live as in the recording. This is actually my go to version of Scenes.  :yarr

you don't get why anyone is discontent about his performances in general lately or just Live in London?

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #246 on: October 17, 2022, 05:55:39 PM »
I am just listening (so many times now) to Live in London. I don't understand all the discontent about his voice. He sounds great! I was there, and he sounded the same live as in the recording. This is actually my go to version of Scenes.  :yarr

you don't get why anyone is discontent about his performances in general lately or just Live in London?

I meant in general. Live in London is recent. Its good. This tour he sounded the same. I saw it 3x. The youtube recordings just arent a good way to judge. And, I wonder if some of the negativity is that he doesnt have that...younger voice..tied to the 1st few albums that are the favorite of many. Hes not quite the same..aside from the injury, he's mature. Of the 10 shows I have seen in the last 6 years, there are a few moments of flat, but it is mostly great. No worse than Dickenson, Hetfield . I've heard both of them recently and their older voices are different. And there are some thinking he cant hack it live anymore? I just wholeheartily disagree.

• PR permission
« Reply #247 on: October 17, 2022, 06:16:37 PM »

I meant in general. Live in London is recent. Its good. This tour he sounded the same. I saw it 3x. The youtube recordings just arent a good way to judge. And, I wonder if some of the negativity is that he doesnt have that...younger voice..tied to the 1st few albums that are the favorite of many. Hes not quite the same..aside from the injury, he's mature. Of the 10 shows I have seen in the last 6 years, there are a few moments of flat, but it is mostly great. No worse than Dickenson, Hetfield . I've heard both of them recently and their older voices are different. And there are some thinking he cant hack it live anymore? I just wholeheartily disagree.

What would be a good way to judge though? When people go to the concert, they're usually ecstatic, slightly buzzed or drunk and the music is blasting. If anything, this would be far more likely to distort one's perception. When you are sitting in your room sober and can replay a recording a billion times it is very difficult to say it's distorting reality. Just out of curiosity, are cell phone recordings a good way to tell if Petrucci had a good night?

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #248 on: October 17, 2022, 07:29:26 PM »
I am not loaded at the shows. I can hear the moments that arent quite right. The voice is never going to be perfect live. I can say, that what you hear on the Live in London is how it sounded. I saw that tour at the very beginning. James had a couple moments, but it wasnt even a thing. I dont think comparing the guitar to the voice is right. We shouldn't expect the voice to be perfect.
If we are judging a live performance, than that should come with a live listen.

• PR permission
« Reply #249 on: October 18, 2022, 06:23:01 PM »
I don't think anyone expects perfection but people do expect consistent performances, in which everyone plays their instrument in tune and has a generally excellent sound. These are the expectations for a band like DT-- way higher than what one would expect from an average band with adequate musicians.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #250 on: October 19, 2022, 10:57:32 AM »
I am not loaded at the shows. I can hear the moments that arent quite right. The voice is never going to be perfect live. I can say, that what you hear on the Live in London is how it sounded. I saw that tour at the very beginning. James had a couple moments, but it wasnt even a thing. I dont think comparing the guitar to the voice is right. We shouldn't expect the voice to be perfect.
If we are judging a live performance, than that should come with a live listen.

I completely agree with this.  If it sounds good at the show, that's the show.  Whether you were drunk, high, too excited, couldn't hear everything properly, or not.  That's the show - what people who were actually there experienced. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #251 on: October 19, 2022, 11:50:04 AM »
This is like banging a hot super model and then later looking at some paparazzi photos only to discover that she has a scar on her chin and an ugly mole on her neck.

What is important is the first hand experience. And as long as people are happy at DT concerts that's good.
I'm not saying James is perfect, in fact he's not. But DT plays live for the people who go to see them and not for the ones who listen to some bootlegs with poor audio quality.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: October 19, 2022, 11:56:07 AM »
This is like banging a hot super model and then later looking at some paparazzi photos only to discover that she has a scar on her chin and an ugly mole on her neck.

Not sure that's the best analogy you could have used on this forum.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

• PR permission
« Reply #253 on: October 19, 2022, 03:32:16 PM »
I think we were talking about whether or not the singing is in tune, which is more or less objective-- the guy is either hitting the right notes in time or not. This is not the same as experience and enjoyment of a live show. The former can be experienced away by some individuals but as one can see from most of the posts in this thread, but it just doesn't mean there isn't something up with the live singing.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #254 on: October 20, 2022, 12:57:50 PM »
I think we were talking about whether or not the singing is in tune, which is more or less objective-- the guy is either hitting the right notes in time or not. This is not the same as experience and enjoyment of a live show. The former can be experienced away by some individuals but as one can see from most of the posts in this thread, but it just doesn't mean there isn't something up with the live singing.
Yup. Seriously, and again, it's very possible to both have a good time and hear all that's going on. Most recordings of most concerts I attend sound remarkably similar to what I heard, and so does Dream Theater, and so does James.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Skeever

« Reply #255 on: October 20, 2022, 03:04:20 PM »
Live in London is awesome. Totally agree with geemo and Mora here.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #256 on: October 21, 2022, 02:39:20 PM »
Live in London is awesome. Totally agree with geemo and Mora here.
Okay, but with the caveat that James sounded not-awesome at my show and the videos reflected that accurately as well :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: October 22, 2022, 01:37:23 AM »

I was there, too. He doesn't sound good at all at times on the official release and he sounded worse than that from the second row both nights, too (not that the row matters!). I was very impressed by the physicality of his performance up close those two nights, though. He was really, well... *trying*.

And LaBrie sounds about the same as Dickinson, does he? I mean, what? Bruce is going for, and hitting, a hell of a lot more than James is these days. And he's not standing still on stage, either! And Hetfield is playing some of the most complicated and fast rhythm guitar while singing.
---
The stuff about a recording not reflecting the singer, any singer, hitting a note... it needs to stop. People aren't recording on bloody C90s anymore :lol
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 01:57:29 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #258 on: October 22, 2022, 06:12:11 AM »

I was there, too. He doesn't sound good at all at times on the official release and he sounded worse than that from the second row both nights, too (not that the row matters!). I was very impressed by the physicality of his performance up close those two nights, though. He was really, well... *trying*.

And LaBrie sounds about the same as Dickinson, does he? I mean, what? Bruce is going for, and hitting, a hell of a lot more than James is these days. And he's not standing still on stage, either! And Hetfield is playing some of the most complicated and fast rhythm guitar while singing.
---
The stuff about a recording not reflecting the singer, any singer, hitting a note... it needs to stop. People aren't recording on bloody C90s anymore :lol

Iron Maiden melodies are about a complicated as "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". Sorry, I love Maiden, but there's no denying it. It's not apples to apples.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: October 22, 2022, 09:01:59 AM »

---

Iron Maiden melodies are about a complicated as "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". Sorry, I love Maiden, but there's no denying it. It's not apples to apples.

It never was to begin with :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too!

• PR permission
« Reply #260 on: October 26, 2022, 06:16:51 PM »

---

So are most DT melodies in the past 2 decades.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #261 on: October 27, 2022, 08:12:42 AM »
Incorrect.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #262 on: October 29, 2022, 04:29:12 PM »
Hetfield is playing some of the most complicated and fast rhythm guitar.

Really now…
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey