Author Topic: ATT backs out of Tmobile merge due to regulators fierce opposition.  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
https://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-57345380-266/at-t-ditches-t-mobile-merger-so-whats-it-mean-for-you/

AT&T blamed regulators for the deal's demise, and the company said in a statement that consumers would be harmed and investment would be stifled as a result. Meanwhile, the U.S. Department of Justice and the Federal Communications Commission--the two agencies that opposed the deal--said that AT&T's decision to abandon its purchase was a victory for consumers.

The way I see it, this wasn't a catalyst that had any affect on the overall cell market. Things got the way they are now due to the high cost of network startup maintenance and service. The blocked merger doesn't really change anything for the better. All I see happening is the government intervening to stop a company that is already on its way out from being bought and rehashed by a major competitor so that it can be bought by dozens of other smaller players who may not even be able to improve service for anyone. One way or another Tmobile will be sold off and its spectrum licenses acquired by other companies. ATT and Verizon will still grow at about the same rate and may even increase their prices because they now have to fight harder for the same amount of spectrum.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: ATT backs out of Tmobile merge due to regulators fierce opposition.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14:37 PM »
All I see happening is the government intervening

Hate to be a dick, but that's kinda what your posts are known for. Have you even considered the point of the DOJ?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:04:57 AM »
Oh well, we already switched off of T-Mobile.  They refused to prorate our final month's bill, too, telling us that paying the full bill is the exit penalty (and is in our contract).  I have a hard time believing that, but I really don't know what to do that isn't more trouble than its worth.

If I remember the contract correctly, the purchase being blocked was the best case scenario for T-Mobile.  There were clauses that would strengthen them through ATT network access in case this happened.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 07:13:36 AM »

Hate to be a dick, but that's kinda what your posts are known for. Have you even considered the point of the DOJ?

rumborak

There's no freer market than a monopoly.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:43:25 AM »
I think this is a good thing.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:27:50 AM »
Oh well, we already switched off of T-Mobile.  They refused to prorate our final month's bill, too, telling us that paying the full bill is the exit penalty (and is in our contract).  I have a hard time believing that, but I really don't know what to do that isn't more trouble than its worth.
They did the same for us, so at least they're consistent.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 08:58:35 AM »
I'm happy. No company has ever treated me worse than ATT, and if the merger went through I would've gone to Verizon. My experience with T-Mobile is nothing but awesome.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 10:02:47 AM »

rumborak
Why should he? Most economic historians don't.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 10:19:17 AM »
This is a weird one in that the conventional wisdom of the free-market crowd doesn't really hold up.  The huge majority of customers of any of the cellular companies are under contract.  It's not like the consumers could vote with their checkbook in this case. 

In this instance,  I've been a happy T-Mobile customer for 10 years,  and I refuse to give those privacy invading fucktards at AT&T any of my money.  Yet,  I would have been stuck with them for 13 months.  If there had been discussion of allowing people to opt out of their contracts,  then I'd be a whole lot less troubled by this.  That doesn't appear to have been a consideration.  For that reason,  I'm pretty happy that this thing got shot down.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson