Author Topic: A Retweet from JCRudess  (Read 6933 times)

Offline blackngold29

Re: A Retweet from JCRudess
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 12:09:46 PM »
Just FYI, the original tweet said 'Rudess' not '@JCRudess', but all tweets are public unless hidden by the sender, so it's not like JR had to be a major creeper or anything to find it. I cracked up when that came to my phone. The whole thing is kind of ridiculous, particularly considering KM and MP's history in OSI.

Here's some good tweets from MP himself. Wish more celebs would answer questions like he does.

“@jpmullinax: @JFreakinLindsey @EvanMullinax16 thought u taking a break not more workload”
MP: Wow, some of you really just don't get it....??

“@JoeCaiati: Have you taked to any DT members recently?”
MP: I EMAILED THEM ALL TO CONGRATULATE ABOUT GRAMMY NOM...3 RESPONDED, 2 DIDN'T

“@blodjunkie: what do you think about the new DT album ?”
MP: PLEASE STOP ASKING ME THIS!!! I CAN'T ANSWER HONESTLY WO PEOPLE GETTING MAD

“@CheesyGonzalez: @MikePortnoy To spit or not to spit?”
MP: THE BETTER Q IS: TO SWALLOW OR NOT TO SWALLOW??? : )

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2011, 12:18:22 PM »
Yeah, it wasn't sent to JR by anything I can see as far as retweets or mentions.  Even the "people mentioned in this post" section doesn't show JR, just MP because of the @MikePortnoy tag in it where for JR he just said rudess not @JCRudess.

I'm happy more celebs don't answer questions likeMP because the world is already full of enough drama.  All of those answers but one is either aggressive or him stirring the drama-pot.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 12:23:31 PM »
Eek... the Portnoy PR is not getting any better...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2011, 12:29:31 PM »
I'm happy more celebs don't answer questions likeMP because the world is already full of enough drama.  All of those answers but one is either aggressive or him stirring the drama-pot.
I didn't mean specifically about other people, just answer questions about anything. There are about 20 more questions from random people about all kinds of stuff on his profile now. Makes celebs seem more human.

And the "you really just don't get it....??" answer is completely justified to me. There's people every day telling him to go back to DT or A7X, they clearly don't pay attention to him or DT and yet think them telling them what to do will work. It's just ridiculous.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2011, 12:35:32 PM »
The "3 answered, 2 didn't" reply was eh though. Way to stoke the fire again.

Regarding JR's tweet, not sure what to make of it. Has a Cold War broken out between them?

rumborak
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:43:03 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2011, 12:49:50 PM »
MP's latest tweet is about what he wants for the New Year and he replies "Serenity, Peace & Happiness!"- well that starts at home Mike. Treat others as you would have them treat you. Sound familiar?

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2011, 01:08:06 PM »
Regarding JR's tweet, not sure what to make of it. Has a Cold War broken out between them?

rumborak
Between who? You can't blame MP for that tweet, he didn't say it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »
MP's latest tweet is about what he wants for the New Year and he replies "Serenity, Peace & Happiness!"- well that starts at home Mike. Treat others as you would have them treat you. Sound familiar?

Why would he need serenity?  I thought he had moved on and was happy already.  Guess not, eh?

rumborak

You do know that retweeting something is basically agreeing with it, right? 

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2011, 01:17:32 PM »

rumborak

Yes, and the point is he didn't "retweet" it. It was something said to him.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »

rumborak

yep, 100% he didnt retweet it - cant blame him for this one!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2011, 01:20:08 PM »

rumborak

Gotcha.  All of these posts talking about different tweets and whatnot made my head spin there for a minute.  My bad. :biggrin:

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2011, 01:26:51 PM »
Yeah I don't use Twitter either so it's not always clear to me where a message comes from when people quote it.

As for why Jordan Rudess is retweeting that one I honestly don't know... I think the possible reasons have already been pretty much covered  :lol

Offline angelillo

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2011, 01:31:59 PM »
well, for JR to see in his TL, JR would have to be following both MP and that user.

I haven't checked if JR follows that user, but if it is not a friend of JR or some musician (or some other interest) it is not likelly that he will be followed by JR. Jugding by the content of the tweet is not likely that is a friend of JR

The other options for this retweet are:
- JR used the search in Twitter to look for something (some word) included in that tweet (or a combination of them) and than JR found it and retweeted it
- JR twitter has been hacked and that person retweeted it... (maybe is the same user who tweeted it), this option is not very likely as there could be so many more things that person could do with JR twitter account and so far we haven't seen anything ridicolous happening

I don't know if I am not seeing any other options...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 01:46:23 PM by angelillo »

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2011, 01:44:40 PM »
yep, 100% he didnt retweet it - cant blame him for this one!

You know you can undo a retweet right?
I don't believe he did retweet it, but we can't be 100% sure

Offline Millais

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2011, 01:50:36 PM »
I don't know why the hell he would care. There's a whole bunch of us that absolutely loved his version of Space dye vest.  :heart

this. ^^ JR, if you happen to read through this thread, all you need to do is read this.

Offline Millais

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2011, 01:56:18 PM »
as far as I can see MP *did not* retweet it. it's possible he did a few hours ago of course, but if he did since then he must have 'unretweeted'.

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2011, 02:13:29 PM »
this just shows how unnecessarily over-complicated/hard to follow Twitter is  :rollin

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »
this just shows how unnecessarily over-complicated/hard to follow Twitter is  :rollin
It's not hard at all, people just don't know how to use it.

There was a public tweet sent to MP by some random guy. JR retweeted it, MP did not. That is all.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2011, 02:36:48 PM »
Sorry everyone, I thought he tweeted it to JR as well. Sorry!
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2011, 02:45:38 PM »
Shit like this makes me regret even putting the video up in the first place. I should have known people would be talking shit because that's what people love to do. I thought it was a historic moment for DT fans and shared it with the world and of course Douche bags come out of the woodwork. I tweeted JR apologizing for putting it up lol.

Offline John94

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2011, 02:52:05 PM »
Yeah but, not matter what, there are always going to be douchebags lurking around. I thank you for uploading it, I've watched it a good few times and reminded myself of it today. I still love it. It's just a unique monumental moment in DT history.

RE: the tweet - I saw it last night, I almost made a thread about it but decided not too. The dude posted it was an idiot, like an idiotic hurr durr school kid who is gunna say things to get a "kewl" response. I find it hard to think that he is a DT fan if he bad mouths members. I would expect this from a teenage fan boy but not (if I recall correctly) a grown middle aged man.

If Jordan felt down from seeing that tweet, then he shouldn't. He is the one with a solid career, a brilliant talent and a grammy nomination! He has more talent in his left pinky than that "fan".

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2011, 02:56:16 PM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but JR could have just searched for his own name and seen the tweet.

Offline angelillo

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2011, 03:04:02 PM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but JR could have just searched for his own name and seen the tweet.

it is implied in what I wrote... furthermore he could have search: rudess, mikeportnoy, Space-dye vest, etc... or any combination of those or other keywords in that message...

Now why he retweeted if he saw?.... is the interesting question (if he in fact did, and it is not somebody who hacked his twitter or some friend joking/playing with JR's mobile when he was not aware and his phone was not blocked, tha latter is an option I did not include in my previos reply)

Anyway, I don't think that tweet would have affected JR. I am sure that he knows what he is a wizard... he problably thought it was funny...

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2011, 03:19:17 PM »
Jordan saw it, and retweeted it. It's as simple as that.

He probably did it because he thought it was a good idea for MP to start working with Kevin Moore again. Twitter is working in such away that Mike sees every tweet containing @MikePortnoy, regardless if he follows the person or not. And I'm sure Jordan has enough self-distance to not take the last part of the tweet too seriously. Maybe he thought it would be a reason that MP would consider a good one. Who knows :P

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2011, 03:33:56 PM »
Shit like this makes me regret even putting the video up in the first place. I should have known people would be talking shit because that's what people love to do. I thought it was a historic moment for DT fans and shared it with the world and of course Douche bags come out of the woodwork. I tweeted JR apologizing for putting it up lol.
99% of the people who know the history behind the song thank you for putting it up.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2011, 04:15:34 PM »
Well thanks!

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2011, 05:23:04 PM »
I have to agree somewhat. I dont think Rudess should have played it, I still think of that as "Kevin Moore's Song". It should have stayed that way.

Also, I really did not like Rudess's version of it, it was played too fast IMO. And all the little things he added to it I think made it worse. I am trying to say this in the most respectful way I can, but its the simplicity of the original that makes it so great.

I know I will get hated on, but I really think Rudess made a mistake.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2011, 05:48:52 PM »
Guys, worst case scenario you can look at it as JR covering a KM song. The Dream Theater guys cover shit all the time with various projects and a lot in DT history, I don't see what the big deal is on that particular front.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2011, 05:55:37 PM »
The taboo that DT put on the song when Kevin Moore left wasn't really called for, honestly. We haven't seen any evidence that Kevin Moore even remotely cares about that song.  He's moved on to bigger and better things.

JR doesn't deserve any of the hate he got for his rendition, in my view. The cover itself was rather by the books; people only really hate on it because DT had refused to play the song before, and there was no reason for DT ever to have done that. Bands play songs written by band members who've left all the time.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2011, 07:05:10 PM »
I have to agree somewhat. I dont think Rudess should have played it, I still think of that as "Kevin Moore's Song". It should have stayed that way.

Also, I really did not like Rudess's version of it, it was played too fast IMO. And all the little things he added to it I think made it worse. I am trying to say this in the most respectful way I can, but its the simplicity of the original that makes it so great.

I know I will get hated on, but I really think Rudess made a mistake.

It's one thing to not like it but read that tweet again. It's ridiculous.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2011, 07:35:31 PM »
JR and JLB playing SDV right after MP's departure was one of the best instances of the "musical middle finger" I know.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2011, 04:07:49 AM »
Eek... the Portnoy PR is not getting any better...
If I were a smidge more optimistic, I'd be seriously entertaining the possibility that this might all be a game of PR chess, and that Mike's exit was a very clever strategy designed to curry Dream Theater as much favour and public respect as possible for the dawning of their brand new age, culminating in a Christmas miracle by which... um... Mike... fuck, I don't know, the theory loses steam here. Rises from the dead? I'm not optimistic enough to finish the thought, truth be told.

Sadly, I suspect the whole thing's precisely as upsetting and profoundly sad as it looks, and that Mike Portnoy's christmas gift this year will be a trailer for A DRUMatic Turn of Events, where he sits around throwing Dream Theater branded drumsticks at his hi-hat in time to On the Backs of Angels, silently weeping.

...Or somewhere in between. Crikey, I've lost the knack for this neutrality lark, haven't I? Honestly, it's nothing to joke about. The man's trying his hardest, bless him, and I think he just wants two things at once. He's... not troubled, but the poor fellow does not need me making snidey comments on the internet. He's ambivalent. Wants the best for everyone but, simultaneously, can't stand not being a part of the best for everyone. Twice. That's not so hard to sympathise with, is it? Not to sound too morose but I have that feeling on a daily basis! Then to chuck a podium at the poor sod and let a thousand well-intentioned fans prod him to tell the truth until he bursts, while a thousand others tell him he's an awful person in the privacy of his own home... can anyone say with any confidence they'd be even a smidge more graceful? I'd like to think I'd be able to compose myself - it's easy to sit behind a desk and hold up a scoreboard - but honestly, I wouldn't even be able to write a single Adrenaline Mob song. Not even Psychosane! I'd just be sat at home breaking my fingers on walls.

The PR's dreadful, but in fairness, so's replaying events from a year ago in your head and trying to work out where you messed up. If he looks like he's bitter it's probably 'cos he's bitter. Which doesn't make it innately more sufferable - we're his exes as much as the band are, (and I'm happy to deliver brain-bleach for £1.00 a pop, by the way) and we're thereby just as entitled to be sick of his theatrics as he is to be hamming it up like a third year drama student. I'm ultimately on our side - I do wish he wouldn't make it everyone else's problem, but in the end we're all just seven billion idiots muddling our way to the graveyard. For every day he says something silly, there are about sixty he holds it in. That's an okay whack for something that's consumed twenty-five years of a man's life. Who can blame something as flawed as a human for not always being able to keep work and life separate? I can barely keep my pants and my head separate.

Though I will say that briefs make brilliant commando masks.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2011, 04:13:51 AM »
ROB

WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN

we've missed you :sadpanda:
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2011, 04:15:12 AM »
ROB

WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN

we've missed you :sadpanda:
Hole digging. I dig holes now. James LaBrie quit, someone had to pick up the slack. And the DT monogrammed shovel.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2011, 04:35:47 AM »
I saw a wall of well constructed humorous banter, and knew that my dreams had been fulfilled.

robwebster back is a Christmas eve eve eve eve eve miracle!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.