Author Topic: A Retweet from JCRudess  (Read 6934 times)

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
A Retweet from JCRudess
« on: December 19, 2011, 07:36:04 AM »
Guys, i'm posting this because i can't figure it out.  This appears to have been a tweet by a fan (Karl Weckstrom) to MP, but then it was retweeted by JR.  But why would JR retweet this?  You can see it for yourself @jcrudess

kweckstrom Karl Weckstrom
@
@MikePortnoy PLEASE work with Kevin Moore again. He had the most soul in DT. It KILLED me to see Rudess play Space-Dye Vest. So wrong.
17 Dec Favorite Retweet Reply
Retweeted by Jcrudess

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: A Retweet from JCRudess
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 07:39:31 AM »
Maybe he posted it for the humour value.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 07:39:45 AM »
I got a good LOL from it.

Offline JoiseyDTLovah

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 07:40:28 AM »
I was at the show in Tarrytown where he played SDV.  I thought it to be a wonderful addition to my collection of holy shit moments with DT.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 07:42:36 AM »
If you look at the timeline, it looks that that original tweet was from Dec 17th.  Then, JCR tweeted on the 18th:

Jcrudess Jordan Rudess
The kindest word in all the world is the unkind word, unsaid.

JR doesn't really tweet humor.  Most of his posts are very sincere. 
I am afraid that the original tweet may have hurt his feelings....
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:47:42 AM by dbrooks22 »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 07:49:35 AM »
I'm actually kinda tired of celebrities RT'ing their "haters" all the time. Not that rudess ever does it; just sayin.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 07:50:10 AM »
Still, poor guy. I actually really loved his rendition of SDV, couldn't have been done better imo.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 08:21:05 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 08:26:47 AM »
I don't know why the hell he would care. There's a whole bunch of us that absolutely loved his version of Space dye vest.  :heart

Offline Rob24

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 08:27:37 AM »
Maybe he agrees?  :omg:

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 08:28:50 AM »
Buster Olney from ESPN tends to only retweet other insiders OR people who are hating on him. It's actually quite hilarious.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 09:30:53 AM »
He was actually one of the ones I was thinking of when I wrote my other post in this thread :lol

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 09:33:47 AM »
Poor Rudess, he's never gonna get away from people slamming him cause he's not Kevin Moore no matter what he does.  He's one of the best keyboard players around, but they just hate on him for not having as much soul as the less technically proficient (imo) KM. :\   He can't win no matter what he does so maybe he's just accepted it at this point (or at least is pretending to) rather than constantly try to prove himself or argue about it.

Mangini will have to put up with the same thing in a few years as well though, and even is to some extent now, so at least he won't be completely alone in that regard.   :-\  Oh, and that fan is a douche.  I wonder how he's managing to tweet while dead after JR's abomination.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 09:35:53 AM »
Poor Rudess, he's never gonna get away from people slamming him cause he's not Kevin Moore no matter what he does.  He's one of the best keyboard players around, but they just hate on him for not having as much soul as the less technically proficient (imo) KM. :\   

Not that JR's playing is soulless (it isn't) or KM isn't technically proficient (he is), but do you realize that many prefer soul over technical proficiency, right? 

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 09:37:12 AM »
I'm actually kinda tired of celebrities RT'ing their "haters" all the time. Not that rudess ever does it; just sayin.

Stephen Moffat had a good one a few months ago with "RT if you have ever felt personally victimized by @StephenMoffat"  :lol

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 09:38:46 AM »
Poor Rudess, he's never gonna get away from people slamming him cause he's not Kevin Moore no matter what he does.  He's one of the best keyboard players around, but they just hate on him for not having as much soul as the less technically proficient (imo) KM. :\   

Not that JR's playing is soulless (it isn't) or KM isn't technically proficient (he is), but do you realize that many prefer soul over technical proficiency, right?

Whoops I cut out a part on accident lol (I try to re-read and edit things to avoid being disrespectful or trollish).

I meant to say that I don't think what people always call "soul" is very accurate.  The way it's typically used it's some immeasurable intangible thing that either you have or you don't and if you don't your SOL (or at least that's how people act).  To me it's just a stylistic difference between the artist much like JP vs Slash (of which JP obviously outclasses Slash on a technical level, but they frequently claim JP has no soul).  I would consider soul the passion and connection to the music they play and write, which I can say for sure JR has in spades.  I also would have to say from a purely technical standpoint JR is on a slightly higher level than KM, not that KM is a slouch by any means, and I love his work just as well as JR's.  I never implied KM wasn't technical or proficient at all, just that I believe JR is moreso.  Just from a pure objective ranking of technical skill.  What I think they mean to say is KM had a style they liked better or something to that extent.  They confuse a different speed and ambiance with soul, and I don't think that's particularly fair, and wording it saying they have no soul is a bit more offensive and harsh than saying you don't like their style vs the others you know?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:48:19 AM by gentaishinigami »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 09:46:28 AM »
JR and KM are both great.  I think JR has hordes of fans and even those that prefer KM, still dearly love JR -- myself included.  I'm a huge Rudes fan.  I've seen him perform live six times this year -- three DT shows, three solo shows.

Still, the retweet is curious.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »
I don't know exactly how Twitter works, but how does JR get a copy of a tweet that was sent to Portnoy ? 
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 09:52:08 AM »
I don't know exactly how Twitter works, but how does JR get a copy of a tweet that was sent to Portnoy ?

Not too sure myself as I just started there, but I think if he follows MP still he would see stuff like that, or maybe somehow he is alerted because it had his name in it.

As to why he retweeted it I can only come up with a few possible reasons:

A.  He was agreeing with MP needing to work with KM again
B.  He was agreeing with the whole thing (I'm sure he doesn't think his version was superior, though you would think he just wouldn't bother retweeting it)
C.  The opposite of the above
D.  Accident?   :|
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:58:56 AM by gentaishinigami »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 10:00:53 AM »
Is it possible that the comment was sent to Portnoy by a fan, and he forwarded it on to Rudess' Twitter for Jordan to see?
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 10:05:38 AM »
A.  He was agreeing with MP needing to work with KM again
B.  He was agreeing with the whole thing (I'm sure he doesn't think his version was superior, though you would think he just wouldn't bother retweeting it)
C.  The opposite of the above
D.  Accident?   :|
E. He was a little hurt by it, I would have been even if it was untrue.

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 10:09:47 AM »
Is it possible that the comment was sent to Portnoy by a fan, and he forwarded it on to Rudess' Twitter for Jordan to see?

Don't believe it will work that way, but then again I'm still getting the hang of it.  If he sent it to Rudess it would be on the timeline where we could all see it I think.  Looking at their following lists I don't see them following each other, but I did see JR following KM so maybe it was A or B.  :P  I think JR must have been looking at the Q&A MP did because that was a response to one of MPs answers to the QA question of "which band was his favorite to work with".

@ BlackInk  I knew I was leaving one off!

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 10:25:08 AM »
Anyone who claims JR doesn't have soul needs to check out the Youtube improvisations.

As for the retweet: I'm sure JR saw that MP retweeted it, lol'ed, and then retweeted it himself so that we could lol with him.

And why has nobody yet lingered on the fact that MP himself retweeted it in the first place? So, to attack our former band members we're going to suggest that the current keyboardist is not as good as Kevin Moore?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
Anyone who claims JR doesn't have soul needs to check out the Youtube improvisations.

As for the retweet: I'm sure JR saw that MP retweeted it, lol'ed, and then retweeted it himself so that we could lol with him.

And why has nobody yet lingered on the fact that MP himself retweeted it in the first place? So, to attack our former band members we're going to suggest that the current keyboardist is not as good as Kevin Moore?

This.

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 10:28:31 AM »

Twitter is such a mangled mess I can't really decipher what is going on at this point being new to it, but I don't see anything saying he re-tweeted it, and it's not showing up in his timeline.  Where did you see him re-tweet the "it KILLED me" tweet?

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 10:31:37 AM »
You know im not MP's biggest fan after some of the stupid things he has done recently but trying to decipher Twitter as I can I DONT think he retweeted it. In fact Im 90% sure he didnt. You can only see it when you open up one of his questions about who was his favourite band to play with. If you do that you see a number of fan comments including that ignoramus. I presume Jordan looked at the answers the same as I did and then could simply retweet the post himself from the fan.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »
Oh, that's right. Maybe I misunderstood the context of it when I gave the tweet a glance. It's possible MP didn't retweet it.

That nullifies the last two sentences in my previous post, but I stick with the others.

Offline JoiseyDTLovah

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 10:50:14 AM »
Oh Hey, Mebert78! How are you?  I am the guy that (nearly) botched your photo with Jordan at the Japan Benefit concert. 
Saw your pic and thought I would say hello.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 11:49:38 AM »
Oh Hey, Mebert78! How are you?  I am the guy that (nearly) botched your photo with Jordan at the Japan Benefit concert. 
Saw your pic and thought I would say hello.

Hey, what's up!  I can't believe you remember me.  Actually, my current avatar pic is the very next photo that some lady took when I realized your photo didn't come out.  Luckily, Jordan let me come backstage for a quick second pic.  Jordan is such a truly nice guy.

Offline JoiseyDTLovah

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 11:54:41 AM »

^^

Yes, that night is a great memory for me.  He is very gracious, and to see him perform in that setting with those young men and women was special. 
Impressive.

Offline Lotion

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 11:55:17 AM »
I think he retweeted it because he thinks KM is a great musician!

Offline Rob24

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 11:58:45 AM »
I think he retweeted it because he thinks KM is a great musician!

Uhm... I don't quite think so.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
He retweeted it because in the original tweet, the guy put @MikePortnoy and at the end when mentioning Jordan put @JCRudess which means that JR will get the tweet too
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline JoiseyDTLovah

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2011, 12:04:07 PM »
I hereby rename Twitter to Twatter.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 12:06:36 PM »
He retweeted it because in the original tweet, the guy put @MikePortnoy and at the end when mentioning Jordan put @JCRudess which means that JR will get the tweet too

Where did he tweet it to Jordan?

@MikePortnoy PLEASE work with Kevin Moore again. He had the most soul in DT. It KILLED me to see Rudess play Space-Dye Vest. So wrong.

That is the guy's post - directly to Portnoy and no one else. It doesnt say that MP retweeted it either.