Author Topic: That precise moment when a band blew it  (Read 6655 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: That precise moment when a band blew it
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2011, 07:07:53 PM »
Van Halen - Gary Cherone
I kind of liked that album. But it definitely wasn't Van Halen. Balance was far worse though.

Also, Waiting for the Punchline is my favorite Extreme album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline dongringo

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2011, 08:51:37 PM »
For me, Metallica really blew it with The Black Album, that album was just...  :(

I couldn't agree more. After the amazing trio of Lightening, Puppets, and Justice the Black album was a joke. I remember being so disappointed. Even so, I saw them on that tour and they reaffirmed my disappointment by sucking live. Never liked them since. But their glory days were glorious. Just like Queensryche with HITNF.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2011, 09:38:17 PM »
I Love Warning! Love American Idiot too... 21CB is more of the same.

Apparently the next album is "back to basics and stripped down."

If that means another "Nimrod", i'm all for it.

Warning is one of Green Day's best, but it's too bad it was a commercial failure

They needed something like American Idiot to come back into the spotlight. Good band

I also enjoy Warning, but it was definitely a major change in the sound of the band.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2011, 11:40:18 PM »
Metallica : The Black Album - While I actually like about 2/3's of the album quite a bit (Wolf and Man, WIMR, Struggle Within, TTN in particular), this was the album where Metallica stopped being METALlica and just became the trendier, more mainstream-friendly, 'Tallica.  From that point on, they became less concerned about making quality music and more concerned about keeping their faces plastered all over the music press outlets.  They probably don't regret it, as they have been rolling in cash ever since, but I can't really respect them as artists from this point onward.

Queensryche:  Empire - Now first of all, I LOVE this album, so I am not necessarily blaming the music itself; however, I think it is pretty safe to say that the success Queensryche received from this album was the catalyst for their eventual fall.  Overtouring for Empire destroyed the relationships of the band members, while having too much money in their hands clouded their better judgment with regards to personal responsibility.   Perhaps worst of all, reaching such a level of mainstream popularity placed the band in a situation where they felt they needed to alter their music to remain current with the ever-changing record industry around them.  While the follow up, Promised Land, was good, it marked a very noticeable shift in the band's approach to music, which became much more apparent over the course of subsequent albums as the band started to crumble and the signature Queensryche sound became a distant memory.  While it is easy to blame much-maligned albums like Hear in the Now Frontier, Q2K, Tribe, Mindcime II and so on for Queensryche's decline, it was here, at their commercial peak, that the seeds for the inevitable demise of this once great band were sown.

Guns 'n Roses: Use Your Illusion - To quote one of my all time favourite films: "The star that burns twice as bright only burns for half as long."  Appetite for Destruction was one hell of a debut, but much like Queensryche with Empire, GNR did not handle success well.  At least QR was able to manage five good albums and an EP before fading into mediocrity.  GNR gave us one great record, and then proceeded to tear themselves apart while attempting to top it.

Judas Priest: Angel of Retribution - There comes a time in every band's career to admit that the magic is gone.  Some bands can go for decades, while others can barely manage each album/tour cycle.  Priest was just not the same without Rob, and the band knew it, but rather then try to forge a new future with Ripper (who had a lot more to offer, but was simply never given a fair chance), they choose to take the safest path and have a half-assed reunion.  Now, AOR did get JP back onto the top of the metal world for a while, but the album was mediocre and everyone knew it.  It had some good tracks, sure, but it just sounded like a microcosm of Priest's career, including both the good and the bad, and it didn't really bring anything new to the table.  Sometimes it is just better to let the past be the past, and if KK's recent departure is any indication, Priest's glory days are well behind them.

Rainbow: Down to Earth - You DO NOT choose to part ways with Dio.  Ever.

Theatre of Tragedy: The Storm - You DO NOT choose to fire Liv Christie.  Ever.

Balance of Power: Heathen Machine - After three phenomenal power-prog albums, BoP parted ways with singer/songwriter Lance King and subsequently lost much of what made them unique and interesting as a band.  Heathen Machine wasn't bad, but it was a pale shadow of what had come before.  I highly doubt it is any coincidence that this band never released any more records after this album.

Adagio: Dominate - This band had sooooo much potential on their first two albums, then they threw it all away and became a generic growly metal band on this record.

Scorpions: Eye II Eye - WTF?!?

Crimson Glory: Strange and Beautiful - WTF?!?!?!?!?

Savatage: 2003 - Despite being criminally underrated, Savatage still had a lot in their favour at the turn of the millennium.  They were obscenely popular in Europe, Latin America and Asia, they had a strong cult following in the States, and their phenomenally successful side project, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, had introduced the band and it's music to a very wide base of people that would never have heard of them otherwise, not to mention giving them the financial resources to do whatever they wanted.  Despite the death of Criss Oliva, an ever changing lineup, and all the bullshit that was going on in the industry in the early 90's, Savatage not only persevered, but they continued to release one masterpiece album after another.  So why would they stop when they were still going strong?  What the hell happened?  I know TSO is a major commitment, but if Jon Oliva, Zak Stevens, Chris Caffery, and the others all have time for their solo bands, why can't they do anything as Savatage?  And even more importantly, why give up all that hard-earned prestige and respect in the global metal community?  Why throw away two and a half decades of hard work, heartbreak, tragedy and FUCKING AMAZING music when there is still so much more potential waiting to be tapped?!  More then a decade after their last album, I am still at a loss as to why this band chooses, of their own free will, not to record and tour, when it is fully in their power and capability to do so.  It is one thing when a band reaches the end of their career and they have nothing relevant left to contribute, but Savatage simply decided to end their career when they still had it in them to continue onward, making great music and bringing endless enjoyment to thousands of fans around the world.  The premature death (or rather, suicide) of Savatage will forever be a mystery to me, and it is likely one that will haunt me for a very long time to come.   :'(
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:20:12 AM by The Dark Master »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2011, 02:11:27 AM »
I think I agree with everything you just said/typed...  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2011, 02:19:21 AM »
KISS > Solo albums/Destiny/Unmasked

Queen : Flash Gordon/Hot Space

Paul Stanley and Ace Frehley's solo albums were excellent but I agree Dynasty and Unmasked wasn't the direction KISS should've gone. I love both albums btw. Following those with The Elder killed them. Again I love The elder. It's just not a KISS album. Even excellent albums like Creatures and Lick It Up couldn't save them.

I'd agree on the Paul and Ace albums. Hell I enjoyed the hell out of ALL of those albums, because I was such a fuckin' fanboy at the time. Especially Peter's, I must shamefully say. His voice just had something special imo. Gene's had it's moments, but waaayy too much Disney for my likes.
Paul's just rocked and Ace showed a LOT of diversity.

The reason why I stated those album is that in my opinion at that time they were at their hight of their fame and chose the wrong project to follow. And with that they lost a lot of their authenticity, credibility (although it gained them hit-status) and, more importantly, unity within the band. That whole 1978 year was just the one wrong decidine after the other, with that godawful movie 'Kiss meets the phantom of the park' to top it off. Great music...TERRIBLE acting!!  :lol
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2011, 08:14:25 AM »
Gotta add one...

Queensr˙che - Wot We Do

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2011, 08:33:02 AM »
Okay, since it has come up a few times, I'm just gonna jump in here.

This thread is meant to be about the moment when a band, on top of the world, does something so stupid that it kills their career dead.

The Black Album is one of the best selling albums ever. Metallica didn't kill their career by recording it.

This thread is meant to be about the spectacular mistakes a band or artist made that ruined their success. Not the moment a band made an album that you personally dislike.

Besides which, everyone KNOWS it was releasing Load that killed Metallica  ;)
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2011, 08:46:24 AM »
Pretty sure Load & Reload combined sold 15+ million albums.

Even St Anger sold 5 million.

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2011, 09:01:49 AM »
I thought the OP meant the point at which a band blew it in terms of their popularity or sales.
For that reason you can rule out Metalica's black album as that's the album that pushed them into the stratosphere !!!

Arghhh forget what I just said...its already been said, I just read the OP's comments a couple of quotes up.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2011, 09:23:09 AM »
Pretty sure Load & Reload combined sold 15+ million albums.

Even St Anger sold 5 million.

Yeah, it's tricky to say at the moment, but Lulu could easily be Metallica's moment.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2011, 10:46:31 AM »
Well it's a Lou Reed album really - metallica are just the backing band.

Lou even came up with most of the music.

I enjoy Lulu and I enjoy The new Beyond Magnetic EP.

I'm just glad they aren't the type of band who put out the exact same album every two years.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2011, 01:17:44 PM »

I'm just glad they aren't the type of band who put out the exact same album every two years.

One of the hundred reasons why they're my favorite band.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2011, 01:20:57 PM »
KISS > Solo albums/Destiny/Unmasked

Queen : Flash Gordon/Hot Space

Paul Stanley and Ace Frehley's solo albums were excellent but I agree Dynasty and Unmasked wasn't the direction KISS should've gone. I love both albums btw. Following those with The Elder killed them. Again I love The elder. It's just not a KISS album. Even excellent albums like Creatures and Lick It Up couldn't save them.

I'd add Extreme going "grungy" on Waiting For The Punchline. It was probably the huge hit with More Than Words that killed them, ironically, but WFTP was the death knell. They went totally the other way with WFTP and it was awful.

WFTP is highly underrated IMO. I totally understand why it didn't work for most of their fans though. Their longtime fans weren't happy cause they wanted more of the late 80's/early 90's funk metal sound. Their newer fans at the time wanted more stuff like "More Than Words".

It's not a bad album at all IMO. I like it cause it's powerful with as much edge as you're ever gonna get out of Extreme. I always felt they had too much glam in their music and it just didn't work for me although I loved III Sides.

Sticking with the Gary Cherone thing in VH I'd have to say though that while VH3 wasn't great they kicked ass live with Cherone. They could perform anything out of their catalog (Dave or Sammy stuff) and it sounded damn good.

Extreme were never the "Heavy" band that everyone started saying they had gone away from. With III Sides they had reaached that point that they wanted, like their heroes Queen, where they could put any song they liked on an album. For me WFTP was an abomination.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »

This thread is meant to be about the moment when a band, on top of the world, does something so stupid that it kills their career dead.

The Black Album is one of the best selling albums ever. Metallica didn't kill their career by recording it.

This thread is meant to be about the spectacular mistakes a band or artist made that ruined their success. Not the moment a band made an album that you personally dislike.

Fair enough, but as you will notice by most post with Queensryche, I am more then willing to single out albums I like, even highly successful ones, as the cause of a bands decline.  Empire was an amazing album, but it was making that album that ultimately set Queensryche on their path to decline.  As such, Empire, or rather, the success of it, was the cause of Queensryche's fall. 

The same is true of Metallica and the Black Album.  Personal feelings about the album and it's music aside, it was making that  album, the artistic choices made with, and the success derived from it, that ultimately set the stage for Metallica's decline.  As such, Black Album was the source of Metallica's fall.  Albums like Load, Reload, St Anger and so on, like Queensryche's later albums, are symptoms of this disease, not the cause.

The reason I did not list Appetite for Destruction as the source of Guns 'n Roses' decline is because AFD's success, in and of itself, was not the cause of GNR's decline; you can't decline on your first album.  Rather, it was how they chose to follow it up with Use You Illusion, and all the chaos that was going on in the band during the making of that album, that was the cause of GNR's fall.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
Wouldn't The X-Factor by Maiden fit in this list?
They were huge even with No Prayer and Fear of the Dark, but when Bruce left and Blaze joined, it felt like they lost tons of popularity. I even remember that they played in a very small venue here in Sweden when they came here, and that is a band who has always sold out big stadiums and arenas here.
Yeah it's quite obvious that Maiden "found it" again with Brave New World and the reunion, but if we're looking at it from a PoV that Maiden were really famous, "blew it" with The X-Factor and later Virtual XI, but then managed to find it again.
I would also like to add that I personally really like The X-Factor, but it didn't seem to get a very good reception at that time.

Another band I would like to mention would be The Killers, who I felt was one of the more promising Indie-bands after Hot Fuss and Sam's Town, but as soon as Day & Age came out, the band I previously liked had become garbage.
I know they are still famous, but I still feel like they blew it with that album and lost many fans, it will be interesting to see if their next album is a more "back to basic" or continuing down the dead road.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2011, 02:36:39 PM »
They were huge even with No Prayer and Fear of the Dark, but when Bruce left and Blaze joined, it felt like they lost tons of popularity. I even remember that they played in a very small venue here in Sweden when they came here, and that is a band who has always sold out big stadiums and arenas here.
Yeah it's quite obvious that Maiden "found it" again with Brave New World and the reunion, but if we're looking at it from a PoV that Maiden were really famous, "blew it" with The X-Factor and later Virtual XI, but then managed to find it again.
I would also like to add that I personally really like The X-Factor, but it didn't seem to get a very good reception at that time.
ost many fans, it will be interesting to see if their next album is a more "back to basic" or continuing down the dead road.

I considered mentioning Maiden, but I decided that since the had a true resurrection with  BNW (not a half-assed one like Priest and AOR), I felt that it would be inappropriate to put a band that had brought themselves back to life on my list.  For the same reason, I chose not to list Black Sabbath, because despite the fact that they have killed their careers multiple times, they always somehow find a way to bring it back.  Heaven and Hell, Dehumanizer, Devil You Know.  I think BS has more lives then a cat.

And on a somewhat related note, I would like to add............

Ozzy Osbourne: The Osbournes - A word of advice; if you are a heavy metal rock star, don't ever, ever start a reality show about your home life with your bratty kids and your bitch of a wife.  Nothing ruins a reputation like airing all your interpersonal family problems on prime-time tv.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »

I also love the fact they do whatever they want. Load. St Anger. Lulu. S&M.

It's not always fan-pleasing or financially viable but its what they wanna do - not will please the fans or sell bucketloads.

You gotta admire their cajones.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »

It's not always fan-pleasing or financially viable but its what they wanna do - not will please the fans or sell bucketloads.

Well once you hit a certain status, you're allowed to do what you want.  Very few band breathe that rare air.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline dongringo

« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2011, 06:04:02 PM »

I think BS has more lives then a cat.

And on a somewhat related note, I would like to add............

Ozzy Osbourne: The Osbournes - A word of advice; if you are a heavy metal rock star, don't ever, ever start a reality show about your home life with your bratty kids and your bitch of a wife.  Nothing ruins a reputation like airing all your interpersonal family problems on prime-time tv.

Except Ozzy is back in Black Sabbath and thus another resurrection... ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2011, 08:45:07 PM »

I absolutely LOVE Load and ReLoad. Both albums are strong throughout IMO. They said that they didn't wanna put out updated Kill 'Em All's every album so they experimented for a while. People call those 2 albums weak but I think they're brilliant.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2011, 10:05:44 PM »

Fair enough, but as you will notice by most post with Queensryche, I am more then willing to single out albums I like, even highly successful ones, as the cause of a bands decline.  Empire was an amazing album, but it was making that album that ultimately set Queensryche on their path to decline.  As such, Empire, or rather, the success of it, was the cause of Queensryche's fall. 

The same is true of Metallica and the Black Album.  Personal feelings about the album and it's music aside, it was making that  album, the artistic choices made with, and the success derived from it, that ultimately set the stage for Metallica's decline.  As such, Black Album was the source of Metallica's fall.  Albums like Load, Reload, St Anger and so on, like Queensryche's later albums, are symptoms of this disease, not the cause.

The reason I did not list Appetite for Destruction as the source of Guns 'n Roses' decline is because AFD's success, in and of itself, was not the cause of GNR's decline; you can't decline on your first album.  Rather, it was how they chose to follow it up with Use You Illusion, and all the chaos that was going on in the band during the making of that album, that was the cause of GNR's fall.

No, no, no.

Read my example again. Night Ranger went from selling out arenas to opening for other bands in clubs IN TWO YEARS. Metallica is still a multi-platnium selling huge success. Metallica doesn't fit the criteria at all here.

In fact-Metallica's post thrash career was far more commercially successful than their thrash heyday. You're missing the point here. This is about that one singular fuck up that if you ask the band now, they'll say "we really shouldn't have done that shit."
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2011, 03:50:13 AM »
The day Def Leppard released Adrenalize. I appreciate that the album was commercially successful by most yard-sticks, but whereas Bon Jovi came back after a break without quite so much hair and with a stripped down sound that pre-empted the rise of grunge, Def Leppard arrive with an even bigger, shinier record than Hysteria and with bigger haircuts on the album cover.

It meant that by the time Slang arrived they'd gone from being one step ahead of the game to chasing after the current trends. It didn't help that they made an album that was "relevant" and then released the most 80s sounding song (the title track) as their first single.

(Ignoring Retro-Active)  A drop from selling 10+ million copies to only going gold in two albums is a pretty spectacular drop.

Now, you could say that they were never going to do as well without Steve Clark alive to add his special sauce to the songs and I wouldn't disagree. You could also say that a band that can still do big arena tours hardly blew it, but in terms of record sales alone they nose-dived hard.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2011, 11:05:53 AM »
I absolutely LOVE Load and ReLoad. Both albums are strong throughout IMO. They said that they didn't wanna put out updated Kill 'Em All's every album so they experimented for a while. People call those 2 albums weak but I think they're brilliant.

I love those albums too and even St Anger. I can't listen to too much St. Anger in one go but I do like it.

Ironically, I think Death Magnetic is the first album where they've actually acquiesced to fans wishes.

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2011, 04:44:27 PM »
Rammstein - Mein Land

Ugh.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2011, 05:08:58 PM »
Rammstein - Mein Land

Ugh.
Really?  I loved that.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2011, 08:52:48 AM »
Too many people are listing albums that turned them off personally

The Billy Squier reference earlier in the thread is a prime example of an Artist jumping the shark...even the artist himself admits it killed his career

From Wikipedia

Squier asked Brian May of Queen to produce his second album Don't Say No. May declined due to scheduling conflicts, but he recommended instead Reinhold Mack who had produced one of Queen's albums, The Game. Squier agreed, and Mack went on to produce Don't Say No. The album became a smash, with the lead single "The Stroke" becoming a hit all around the world, hitting the Top 20 in the US and topping the singles chart in Australia. "In The Dark" and "My Kinda Lover" were successful follow-up singles. Squier became a monster act on the new MTV cable channel as well as on Album Rock radio, with most tracks on the Don't Say No album receiving airplay. Don't Say No reached the Top 5 and lasted well over two years on Billboard's album chart, eventually selling over 4 million copies in the US alone.[citation needed]

[edit] 1980s PeakBilly Squier's third album for Capitol, Emotions in Motion, was released in 1982 and became nearly as successful as Don't Say No. The album also climbed into Billboard's Top 5 and sold just under 3 million copies in the US alone. The cover art was by Andy Warhol. The title track of the album, on which Squier shared vocals with Queen's frontman Freddie Mercury and drummer Roger Taylor, was a hit, but the album's biggest hit was "Everybody Wants You" which held the #1 spot on the Billboard Album Rock Tracks for 6 weeks and reached #32 on the Hot 100. Squire was the opening act for the North American leg of Queen's 1982 Hot Space Tour.[1] That same year he recorded a song, "Fast Times (The Best Years of Our Lives)" for the film Fast Times at Ridgemont High. In the early 1980s Squier did several headlining arena tours—most notably with Foreigner and Def Leppard -- as opening act, with a backup band that included former Savage frontman Kevin Osborn on guitar.

Two years passed before Squier's next album Signs of Life. It was his third consecutive Platinum album. The album's first single release, "Rock Me Tonite" was Squier's biggest Pop hit. It reached #15 on Billboard's Hot 100, as well as #1 on the Album Rock Tracks chart in late 1984. However, the video for the track (directed by Kenny Ortega), which shows Squier dancing around a bedroom in a pink tank top, was named by Video GaGa as one of "The worst videos of all time".[2] On the VH1 show Ultimate Albums (Def Leppard's "Pyromania" episode), Squier blamed the end of his career as a chart-topping rocker on the release of the "Rock Me Tonite" video.[citation needed]

Squier's career took a major downturn afterward and he began playing smaller venues. His next two albums Enough is Enough (1986) and Hear & Now (1989) sold in the neighborhood of 300,000 copies each. Enough is Enough featured another collaboration with Freddie Mercury in the songs "Love Is The Hero" and "Lady With A Tenor Sax".
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2011, 09:24:02 AM »
The "day after day" section in A Nightmare to Remember. In that moment, it was clear that Mike Portnoy wanted them to be a different band. Looking back on it, it's probably the lowest point in their career musically. I'm not even talking about the quality of the section; I'm merely speaking of the principle behind it.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2011, 05:15:49 PM »
Rammstein - Mein Land

Ugh.
Really?  I loved that.

Compared to their "old" material (up until and with Rosenrot), Mein Land was very stale and crappy.
But, to each his own I guess :P

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2011, 08:03:16 PM »
When A-Mob wrote their first song.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #100 on: December 24, 2011, 03:22:53 AM »
Easy--Styx's "Mr. Roboto".

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2011, 04:07:10 AM »

I agree, but it depends if your looking from your own opinion or from album sales/general reception. Like you, I personally love The X Factor. So from my own opinion, Maiden didn't blow it then. They blew it with No Prayer for me.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #102 on: December 24, 2011, 07:44:34 AM »
Easy--Styx's "Mr. Roboto".

Wow, I had successfully forgotten about this one until now.  I was a big Styx fan in the 70's.  The Grand Illusion was my first concert.  I loved how Styx brought just a little prog to their brand of rock and roll, and upon digging into their back catalogue, I discovered that they actually started out a lot more prog, and it had been waning over the years.

I stuck with them through the next couple of albums, but man, when "Mr. Roboto" was all over the radio and could not be avoided, I was actually embarassed for them.  And in the true spirit of this thread, it did kill the band for several years.  It didn't help that Dennis got sick, but the band moved on without him, and I can't blame them, even if Dennis was always my favorite member of Styx and the one who brought the prog.  They're actually better off now playing straight-up rock and roll.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #103 on: December 24, 2011, 07:53:27 AM »
Tommy Shaw was upset too.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #104 on: December 24, 2011, 07:57:54 AM »
Yeah, Tommy left the band for a while, made some half-decent rock and roll with Ted Nugent in Damn Yankees, then eventually Styx did the reunion thing, and as far as I can tell, that's when they realized that they just couldn't work together anymore, because that lineup never did a studio follow-up, did they?  Next I knew, Dennis was out for good, and Tommy and James carried on.