Author Topic: That precise moment when a band blew it  (Read 6654 times)

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Re: That precise moment when a band blew it
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 07:44:02 AM »
Helloween blew it when they decided to continue without Kiske.

Heritage

Coheed & Cambria - Pearl Of The Stars

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2011, 08:18:27 AM »
Circus Maximus - 07' when they decided not releasing another album within a reasonable amount of time was a priority.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 08:33:29 AM »
Van Halen - Gary Cherone

I like Gary Cherone as a singer and a front man, so this should have worked, for me anyway.  But it didn't.  I don't know if Van Halen "blew it" with this, but it definitely didn't work.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2011, 08:40:25 AM »
Van Halen - Gary Cherone

I like Gary Cherone as a singer and a front man, so this should have worked, for me anyway.  But it didn't.  I don't know if Van Halen "blew it" with this, but it definitely didn't work.

I'm not much of a fan of Cherone's vocals, but I don't think he's the problem with VHIII, so I don't put any blame on him for it (ok maybe a little, but even with Hagar the album would have sucked).
Musically it just doesn't sound like VH to me at all. I put it down mostly to the era more than anything else.
Although I'd probably say Balance is the moment VH blew it for me anyway.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2011, 08:44:56 AM »
When Raven signed with Atlantic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2011, 08:52:38 AM »
There is no bigger Kiske fan on DTF than me, and although Pink Bubbles has aged incredibly well, Helloween blew it when they let Kai Hansen walk.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2011, 09:15:11 AM »
Circus Maximus - 07' when they decided not releasing another album within a reasonable amount of time was a priority.

See, you bring this up all the time like its such a big deal, but may I remind you and any other Circus Maximus (or Tool) fans that Peter Gabriel fans have been waiting nine years now for a new studio album of original material. 

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 09:20:23 AM »
Billy Squier, this video....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0j7sModCI

Read the comments, good stuff.

I was a huge Squier ...than this video was released and I felt the need to keep the fact that I was a fan quiet

Also saw him on the Emotions in Motion tour (Def Leppard was actually opening for him) and when him and his drummer started simulating man and man sex I had enough
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2011, 09:22:34 AM »
There is no bigger Kiske fan on DTF than me, and although Pink Bubbles has aged incredibly well, Helloween blew it when they let Kai Hansen walk.

I won't argue with you on that point. But Deris is so... offensively generic.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2011, 09:28:28 AM »

See, you bring this up all the time like its such a big deal, but may I remind you and any other Circus Maximus (or Tool) fans that Peter Gabriel fans have been waiting nine years now for a new studio album of original material.

ya...and Van Morisson fans, and Barbara Streisand fans....and a bunch of other ESTABLISHED artists.
I would augment the op to say...."blew their shot at making it"
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2011, 09:31:31 AM »

Okay, but Peter Gabriel is old now.  Circus Maximus (who I am not a fan of) is a young band.  Most artists release their most material early in their career, so I can see it being disheartening for such a new, young band to take so long to release albums.  Once you reach the age of PG, Rush, etc., them taking a while to release new stuff is no big deal.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2011, 10:22:21 AM »
I'm amazed no one has mentioned Cold Lake yet. There hasn't been a more catastrophic misstep in music history IMO.  :lol

Another one I thought of:

So in the early 80s, and I admit, a lot of it was probably due to relentless self promotion by the band, Manowar had a reputation for being a serious TROO metal band. They had a reputation for loud performances and being generally All Things Heavy Metal. Then they sign with a major label and released the video for Blow Your Speakers.

And there they were, Manowar, the band with a reputation for being All Things Metal, playing a hair band song that would've made every band in Los Angeles cringe.

I know Manowar is still pretty huge in Europe, especially Germany, but that song killed them DEAD in the United States.

And as for Helloween-they died when Kai Hansen left and they put out Pink Bubbles Go Ape and Chameleon, IMO. Kiske leaving was just the icing on that particular cake.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2011, 10:30:24 AM »
KISS > Solo albums/Destiny/Unmasked

Queen : Flash Gordon/Hot Space

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2011, 01:30:32 PM »

Heritage

Absolute rubbish.  Deris brought new life to the band after the horrific Chameleon and personally, I prefer the Deris era material, it's more my style.  Also, Heritage is a great album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2011, 01:43:24 PM »
I'm your turbo lover!
Better run for cover!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2011, 01:45:07 PM »
I liked the Black Album, but the moment I heard Hetfield singing "Turn The Page_uh" I pretty much blew my cookies

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2011, 01:56:40 PM »
Van Halen - Gary Cherone

I'm not much of a fan of Cherone's vocals, but I don't think he's the problem with VHIII, so I don't put any blame on him for it (ok maybe a little, but even with Hagar the album would have sucked).
Musically it just doesn't sound like VH to me at all. I put it down mostly to the era more than anything else.
Although I'd probably say Balance is the moment VH blew it for me anyway.

What missed on this album was not having a real producer.  Eddie had his bud and let him do anything whereas Balence, the producer told Eddie when things were crap.  Some on VHII is very good but some are misses.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2011, 02:12:25 PM »
Iconoclast.

Though there is a chance for them to redeem themselves if the next proves to be good.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »
Journey - Raised on Radio

Although, they did decide to call it quits after that, luckily.  After the decade hiatus that followed they were able to come back and make a few good albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »
I'm your turbo lover!
Better run for cover!

Great album.  I'd actually trade Turbo for Nostradameus.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2011, 02:22:17 PM »
I'm your turbo lover!
Better run for cover!

It fits the criteria for this thread though, since it killed Judas Priest's momentum stone dead. It's actually not a bad album, but wow, did it eat some backlash back then.

Here's another one: Asia fires John Wetton and replaces him with Greg Lake. Band was dead in the water right there.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2011, 02:26:54 PM »
I'm your turbo lover!
Better run for cover!

Turbo Lover is a goofy song, but the rest of that album is actually a masterpiece compared that Nostradamus

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2011, 02:38:43 PM »
I'm your turbo lover!
Better run for cover!

It fits the criteria for this thread though, since it killed Judas Priest's momentum stone dead. It's actually not a bad album, but wow, did it eat some backlash back then.

Here's another one: Asia fires John Wetton and replaces him with Greg Lake. Band was dead in the water right there.

Ah, Asia in Asia.  Well I'd say it was when Wetton came back and Howe left, but the crack was started with Alpha and the less agressive sound on the album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2011, 02:40:13 PM »

Paul Stanley and Ace Frehley's solo albums were excellent but I agree Dynasty and Unmasked wasn't the direction KISS should've gone. I love both albums btw. Following those with The Elder killed them. Again I love The elder. It's just not a KISS album. Even excellent albums like Creatures and Lick It Up couldn't save them.

I'd add Extreme going "grungy" on Waiting For The Punchline. It was probably the huge hit with More Than Words that killed them, ironically, but WFTP was the death knell. They went totally the other way with WFTP and it was awful.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2011, 02:49:23 PM »
Ah, Asia in Asia.  Well I'd say it was when Wetton came back and Howe left, but the crack was started with Alpha and the less agressive sound on the album.

Asia firing John Wetton was a direct result of Alpha's lack of success...which was caused because the label wanted the band to focus on writing more hits like the Wetton/Downes songs on Asia...so really, you can pick a lot of points there and call it the moment where they blew it. Funny thing is, even without Steve Howe, I really like Astra. Still, I wonder what might have been had the band stuck to its guns and did a third album with the Wetton/Downes/Howe/Palmer line up.

I keep coming up with these things: Triumph releases The Sport of Kings.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »
Green Day - Warning (album)
AFI - Sing The Sorrow

I Love Warning! Love American Idiot too... 21CB is more of the same.

Apparently the next album is "back to basics and stripped down."

If that means another "Nimrod", i'm all for it.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2011, 03:02:09 PM »
So what you're saying is Metallica blew their Load.

:footloose:

Metallica didn't "blow it" until St. Anger, and even then they bounced back with Death Magnetic. And we're not gonna mention Lulu, because that doesn't count lol

But hey, that's all my opinion.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2011, 03:05:09 PM »
Because Lulu is not a Metallica album.

Even St Anger is not as bad as " The Path Of Totality".

Load & Reload are perfectly good hard rock albums.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2011, 03:30:17 PM »
Green Day - Warning (album)
AFI - Sing The Sorrow

Warning is one of Green Day's best, but it's too bad it was a commercial failure

They needed something like American Idiot to come back into the spotlight. Good band

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2011, 03:36:08 PM »

Asia firing John Wetton was a direct result of Alpha's lack of success...which was caused because the label wanted the band to focus on writing more hits like the Wetton/Downes songs on Asia...so really, you can pick a lot of points there and call it the moment where they blew it. Funny thing is, even without Steve Howe, I really like Astra. Still, I wonder what might have been had the band stuck to its guns and did a third album with the Wetton/Downes/Howe/Palmer line up.

I keep coming up with these things: Triumph releases The Sport of Kings.

I do too but there's something magical about the 1st Asia album.

I agree with TSOK.  Thought, the tour was unreal.  I liked that they added a side player.  Guitar/keys.  Filled their live sound out.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2011, 04:31:09 PM »

Paul Stanley and Ace Frehley's solo albums were excellent but I agree Dynasty and Unmasked wasn't the direction KISS should've gone. I love both albums btw. Following those with The Elder killed them. Again I love The elder. It's just not a KISS album. Even excellent albums like Creatures and Lick It Up couldn't save them.

I'd add Extreme going "grungy" on Waiting For The Punchline. It was probably the huge hit with More Than Words that killed them, ironically, but WFTP was the death knell. They went totally the other way with WFTP and it was awful.

WFTP is highly underrated IMO. I totally understand why it didn't work for most of their fans though. Their longtime fans weren't happy cause they wanted more of the late 80's/early 90's funk metal sound. Their newer fans at the time wanted more stuff like "More Than Words".

It's not a bad album at all IMO. I like it cause it's powerful with as much edge as you're ever gonna get out of Extreme. I always felt they had too much glam in their music and it just didn't work for me although I loved III Sides.

Sticking with the Gary Cherone thing in VH I'd have to say though that while VH3 wasn't great they kicked ass live with Cherone. They could perform anything out of their catalog (Dave or Sammy stuff) and it sounded damn good.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2011, 04:55:10 PM »
Billy Squier, this video....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0j7sModCI

Read the comments, good stuff.

Hilarious...

I used to be a major Squier fan, and I remember the first time I saw this video I actually cringed. The comments are gold. My favorite is the guy who wrote "Dance that shit out of your system Billy!"
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
I thought the song was alright.  Squier had some good, catchy tunes that rocked well enough.  But I've never seen that video before, and it's kinda bad.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2011, 07:02:36 PM »
Squire's are swings is what sent everybody over the edge.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »
Metallica - Fade to Black

I mean, a ballad on a heavy metal album? What a bunch of sellouts.

FAIL!!!!

Fade To Black is my favorite song of ALL TIME.
*looks at username*

Didn't know that!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.