Author Topic: Using Swears  (Read 5509 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Using Swears
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2011, 04:20:43 AM »
As to the religious connection, I'm sure the pope has dropped an f-bomb or two in his life.

The Pope is from an area in Germany where they swear to a lot of religious imagery. So yeah,most definitely.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2011, 06:26:19 AM »
There is a correlation between cursing and repressed anger and aggression.  It is in some cases a "safety" valve for these feelings that we can use without resorting to more physical means.  Of course this is just a bit of it.  I personally curse like a drunken Irish sailor, but in my work enviornment, it is almost expected of me.  As to the religious connection, I'm sure the pope has dropped an f-bomb or two in his life.

Based on what I've seen on all those cooking shows my wife watches I think cursing is a requirement for chefs.   I'm not sure I'd want to eat their food if they don't curse.   :laugh:
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2011, 02:21:40 AM »
I thought it wasn't safe to eat their food if they were skinny; they never eat what they make, therefore it must be crap.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2011, 03:21:48 AM »
Growing up, once I reached a point where I could freely curse, I always had the viewpoint of "They're just words! How can they really cause any harm?!" My mother, a fairly religious person, countered with the usual "It's what they mean" angle. I then brought up the point that when you resort to low-carb renditions of cursing like shoot (shit), fudge (fuck), etc. that you're still implying the exact same thing and by definition of her "It's what they mean" stance, it would be cursing. In conclusion, I see absolutely nothing wrong with cursing whatsoever since the two main arguements I always hear, as stated above in this post, basically contradict one another and at the end of the day, only the weak-willed are likely to be influenced by any "foul" language I use.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PetrucciFan99

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 05:24:15 AM »
I fucking love cursing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2011, 09:21:11 AM »
I use substitute words like "crap" instead of "shit" and "freakin'" instead of "fuckin'" for a couple of reasons.  One is because to me, they really aren't quite synonyms.  I use profanity when there's real emotion behind it, or to denote a more extreme situation.  If I come home and see that one of my kids has unwrapped a new toy but left the box and other packing garbage on the floor, I might ask my wife who left that crap on the floor.  It's not the end of the world, but it definitely shouldn't be there.  If there's literally piles of stuff that you'd really have to be an idiot to not realize that it should be cleaned up, now I'm pissed.  Who left all this shit here?  What the fuck?  Once the guilty party has been summoned to the room, I'll ask them to clean that crap up.  No point in swearing in front of the kids.

Which leads to the other reason.  There is such a thing as inappropriate words for a given situation.  I know some folks my age or younger have no problem swearing in front of their kids, or at their kids.  One day their kid is gonna get kicked out of class for swearing at their teacher, maybe not even out of disrespect, but because they've been taught that they're "just words" and honestly had no idea that it was inappropriate.  Why?  Because of the example set at home by their parents.  Yes, it's important to teach kids that adults can and do get away with things that kids can't, and why, but that only comes after they've been taught the right way first.  Swear at your kids all the time, and you'll raise kids that swear.  Good luck with that.

And there are people who are offended by cursing.  Regardless of my personal stance on using profanity, I tone it down and use those "substitute words" in their presence.  Why annoy or offend someone, when it's just as easy to shift to a different vocabulary?  It's all about what's appropriate for the situation.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2011, 10:05:54 AM »
As a Christian, the only thing I don't say is GD, that is taking the Lord's name in vain, and I just think it is disrespectful.  Other than that, they are just words, but I still think that certain words are acceptable in public and some aren't.  I think that "hell" "damn" and probably even "shit" are OK in most situations, but "fuck" and most especially "cunt" are words that should only be used in very select company.  There are too many people who have no respect for themselves or others and let words like that fly around no matter where they are.  It kind of sucks, especially if you are just waiting in line at a store or a movie theater with your wife and kids and have to listen to a couple of neaderthals dropping "fucks" and "cunts" all over the place.

I agree with all of this, although I never say the c-word. 

I generally do not curse that much, and I almost never do in front of my parents.  In fact, I probably curse the most when several friends and I quote movies, one of our favorite past times.

The absolute worst however is people who use homophones of the real thing. E.g. heck, fricking, jebus. "Shut the front door" takes the cake on that one.

I quite enjoy saying, "Son of a bee sting!" :lol

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2011, 10:54:25 AM »
Great post, Obert. I agree on all points.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2011, 11:02:27 AM »
"fuck" and most especially "cunt" are words that should only be used in very select company

An example of when it's appropriate:

I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.

:rollin

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2011, 11:18:14 AM »
Which leads to the other reason.  There is such a thing as inappropriate words for a given situation.  I know some folks my age or younger have no problem swearing in front of their kids, or at their kids.  One day their kid is gonna get kicked out of class for swearing at their teacher, maybe not even out of disrespect, but because they've been taught that they're "just words" and honestly had no idea that it was inappropriate.  Why?  Because of the example set at home by their parents.  Yes, it's important to teach kids that adults can and do get away with things that kids can't, and why, but that only comes after they've been taught the right way first.  Swear at your kids all the time, and you'll raise kids that swear.  Good luck with that.

Which is why, instead of teaching my daughter that there are "bad" words, I teach her that some words are not appropriate for some situations.  She knows that there are words that shouldn't be used at school, for example.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2011, 03:36:02 PM »
My best friend and his wife go with that approach with their kids.  They've been told to pick that shit up and clean their damned rooms all their lives, but don't ever use those words at school.  It's definitely good to know the difference, but my problem is that I'm afraid that if they get too used to using those words freely, they'll pop out in front of a teacher or vice principal, and next thing I know, I'm getting a call from the school.  Okay, not exactly a tragedy, but an avoidable hassle.

My kids have heard Mom and Dad use profanity, and they know that it only happens when they're really pissed about something.  And it's not like they've never heard the words before, in movies or from their friends.  But in a different way, I think I'm teaching them that words can carry weight.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »
I'm more concerned about my mouth when I have kids. I hope there is a dramatic change..like a mystical cosmic one. I don't give a crap about swearing, but when my fiancee does it turns me off. I certainly don't want my kids to swear, when I have them. Well, at least not to me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2011, 04:53:43 AM »
I'm more concerned about my mouth when I have kids. I hope there is a dramatic change..like a mystical cosmic one. I don't give a crap about swearing, but when my fiancee does it turns me off. I certainly don't want my kids to swear, when I have them. Well, at least not to me.
Why in the world would it turn you off when she swears if you swear all the time?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2011, 04:58:17 AM »
THANK YOU HEF!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2011, 06:49:29 AM »
Why in the world would it turn you off when she swears if you swear all the time?

Not speaking for snapple specifically, but I would guess that it's some sort of ingrained idea that women are usually the more refined and/or proper of the two sexes, while (let's face it) guys are pretty much ogres with little chance for refinement.  Whenever a woman swears incessantly, it kinda doesn't fit with that idea that people usually have about women.

Maybe I'm wrong, though.  I think I assume most people tend to envision women as much more proper individuals than men, but maybe people don't think like that.  I don't know.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2011, 06:50:25 AM »
fucking cunts

Anyway, as a Christian I would try to avoid it, but now, eh. Whatever.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2011, 09:42:04 AM »
I think Cozmo's got it.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2011, 10:52:01 AM »

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2011, 07:12:41 PM »

Not speaking for snapple specifically, but I would guess that it's some sort of ingrained idea that women are usually the more refined and/or proper of the two sexes, while (let's face it) guys are pretty much ogres with little chance for refinement.  Whenever a woman swears incessantly, it kinda doesn't fit with that idea that people usually have about women.

Maybe I'm wrong, though.  I think I assume most people tend to envision women as much more proper individuals than men, but maybe people don't think like that.  I don't know.

Some of that. More that she used to never swear and only started because of me. She's sounds stupid when she swears. I just don't like it. Probably because I don't like that I do, but for me it's such a hard thing to cut back on, I just kind of get upset when she does.

Don't hate because I encourage her to be better person (not trying to change her, because that's not who she is).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2011, 11:04:14 PM »
And after all of this, you can account for 90% of rationalization by what people grew up with.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2011, 11:05:52 PM »
I think that swears are an equal-opportunity activity.

At school, practically everyone is a horrendous swearer.  Hell, some of the more obnoxious females are worse swearers than any guys I've heard. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2011, 06:08:10 AM »
She's sounds stupid when she swears.
Think about that for a minute.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2011, 06:54:50 AM »
I know, Hef.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2011, 01:44:54 PM »
fucking cunts

Anyway, as a Christian I would try to avoid it, but now, eh. Whatever.

o/

Offline Millais

« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2011, 07:27:09 AM »
My view is, if God doesn't like the word "fuck" he shouldn't have invented intercourse, if He doesn't like "shit" he shouldn't have made us poop.
wonderful quote there!

I'd agree with most of what has been said already - in moderation it's fine. However, it completely depends on the situation.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2011, 12:46:21 PM »
These terms are considered bad because they were, generally, the terms that the commoners in England would have used. Hence, why the term used to describe them is "vulgar" (it originally referred to "the common people" and/or "the vernacular"). The Norman conquerors were obviously French and so the nobility primarily spoke French, whereas the conquered were the Anglo-Saxons who spoke a German dialect. The nobility viewed the German as crude/lowly. And their languages eventually merged together to be English but the tendency to view the "German" words as bad/lowly/unrefined still is around now. Also, this tendency can be expanded a bit in that a so-called "classical education" pretty much always included learning Latin; and today, most technical/educated terms in English are ones based on Latin.

Examples: Shit came to English via German whereas excrement came via French. Fuck is Dutch/German in origin. Cunt is derived from Old German. Etc

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2011, 06:42:36 AM »
These terms are considered bad because they were, generally, the terms that the commoners in England would have used. Hence, why the term used to describe them is "vulgar" (it originally referred to "the common people" and/or "the vernacular"). The Norman conquerors were obviously French and so the nobility primarily spoke French, whereas the conquered were the Anglo-Saxons who spoke a German dialect. The nobility viewed the German as crude/lowly. And their languages eventually merged together to be English but the tendency to view the "German" words as bad/lowly/unrefined still is around now. Also, this tendency can be expanded a bit in that a so-called "classical education" pretty much always included learning Latin; and today, most technical/educated terms in English are ones based on Latin.

Examples: Shit came to English via German whereas excrement came via French. Fuck is Dutch/German in origin. Cunt is derived from Old German. Etc

Whoa! There is something I didn't know. That's pretty damn cool! You know where I could read up on this?

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2011, 07:56:48 AM »
Not knowing much in terms of linguistics, when someone mentioned this idea to me I just combined my vague memory of history (with checking a history book to jog my memory) plus looking up some of the more common swear words in the dictionary and seeing the etymology.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2011, 08:55:09 AM »

In other words we have yet another thing to blame on the Germans.   :rollin
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2011, 09:15:07 AM »
 :)

Though not directly. All of those etymologies are really "German by direct route of Frisian" since apparently Old English is more similar to Old Frisian than other "Germanic" languages.

If anyone wants to read up on this stuff ... https://www.wmich.edu/medieval/resources/IOE/genintro.html