Author Topic: Using Swears  (Read 5553 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Using Swears
« on: December 18, 2011, 04:11:38 PM »
Alright, I'll divide this up into two different sections.

Section 1- For those who are Christians/of belief that it is wrong to swear

How do you feel about swearing? Do you feel it is wrong? Do you feel it ruins your witness? Elaborate your other possible feelings.

Section 2- For those who aren't Christians/of the belief it is wrong to swear

How do you feel about swearing? Do you feel it is wrong? Does you think differently of those who claim to be Christians who swear? Elaborate your other possible feelings.

I'll post my own thoughts on this when I get a little more time to sort it out.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Using Swears
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 04:35:31 PM »
All good things in moderation.

That's the short version of how I feel about swearing.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 04:47:56 PM »
Cursing and swearing are fascinating. I don't find anything inherently wrong with cursing. Slurs are a bit more offensive and on my morally questionable list, but plain everyday swears are different. They are more like emotions than words. Some people find them offensive, so I'll avoid saying them around those people avoid making them feel uncomfortable, but I don't think they are wrong.

I know I keep linking to vlogbrothers videos, but they are just so good. Here's an explanation on swearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66K65z5lxlk

Offline PraXis

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 05:03:43 PM »
Depends on the setting. If someone at work drops a ton of f-bombs it gets annoying. If I'm out with friends I couldn't care less. At the same time, I get very annoyed when someone uses substitute words like "shoot" or "fudge".

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 05:06:06 PM »
I'm not really offended by their usage most the time, because most people just use them as filler words or whatever.  If they actually are making a negative message with them, than that's not so good, though it's not the swears as much the actual negative message.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 06:15:36 PM »
I'm not really offended by their usage most the time, because most people just use them as filler words or whatever.  If they actually are making a negative message with them, than that's not so good, though it's not the swears as much the actual negative message.

I'm not sure I get your notion completely. You're saying that when people use it superfluously, i.e. as a filler, you're fine with it, but when they use it as intended, i.e. to show extreme dislike, you're not?
Because that's the exact opposite how I feel about it.

E.g. "I need to get fucking to the class right now." -> Fine
"What was fucking wrong with Hitler?!" -> Not fine?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 06:39:05 PM »
I think he's saying that when a person says, "I fucking hate you," it's not the swear that's offensive.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 06:56:34 PM »
How do you guys view Christians that swear? Or does it not matter?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 07:08:08 PM »
I don't care. Or I don't let people's religions and speaking patterns alone determine what I think about them completely. Personally I don't find swearing to be morally wrong at all.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 07:49:38 PM »
That swearing is an un-Christian thing to do is also a very American consideration. In Europe swearing is just considered part of language,  and is not thought to reflect on one's Christian-ness. My mother is a regular churchgoer, but definitely likes to swear it up.
My view is, if God doesn't like the word "fuck" he shouldn't have invented intercourse, if He doesn't like "shit" he shouldn't have made us poop.

rumborak

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 07:54:03 PM »
I think he's saying that when a person says, "I fucking hate you," it's not the swear that's offensive.

That'd be correct. 

If someone said that to me dead-seriously, I'd be quite offended.  The swear would be adding some impact/emphasis to it, but the actual reason I'd be offended would be the statement itself; with or without the 'fuck', that sort of statement can be offensive.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 08:06:11 PM »
That swearing is an un-Christian thing to do is also a very American consideration. In Europe swearing is just considered part of language,  and is not thought to reflect on one's Christian-ness.
I don't know. My grandmother has one of these and they're pretty common:

It says "God sees me, here shall not be cursed" or something like that.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 09:26:42 PM »
As someone else has articulated, it isn't the word that matters but the inten behind its use.  Nonsense to think a word itself can be immoral.

I can't imagine why it matters, but I'm Christian.  How is a specific relgious group significant here?

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 05:28:19 AM »
Meh... it's compressions in the air.  It's the intent that worrisome, not the words IMO.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 06:08:07 AM »
I'm a Christian and I have no big problem with swearing. Can't stand people who swear a lot though. It makes you sound really stupid, IMO. The occasional profanity is no big deal.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 06:42:43 AM »
I’m a Christian and feel like I shouldn’t swear or use foul language.  Not because it’s a sin or anything ridiculous like that.  They’re just words.  But, I don’t do it because everyone knows I’m a Christian and I’ve gotten so many complaints from non church goers about Christians being hypocrites.  You know what they always say.  They go to church and act all spiritual and then the rest of the week live like everyone else.  I don’t want to be like those people.  I want to be consistent.  I don’t want to act one way in church and another way outside of church.

But also, I think it’s a sign of lack of creativity or ignorance.  The English language is extremely vast and if you’re intelligent enough you can add way more color to your language.  Using a curse word every other sentence just communicates that you’re going for the shock factor and can’t think of a more intelligent or creative way to express it.  Sorry, I know that is an unpopular opinion on this board because the F bomb is dropped almost constantly, but that’s just my opinion. 

We don’t use foul language in our home and we teach our son not to use it.  He’s 12 so the questions come up all the time asking way it’s wrong to say it.  We also don’t use more acceptable words like crap.  He has to learn how to express himself in his own way rather than spewing out the filthy stuff that he hears on TV, in the movies, or on the radio.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 07:12:22 AM »
^I agree with most of what's been said. Although IMHO, I don't think swearing is a bad thing whatsoever. I agree it makes people sound WAY dumber than they actually could be, and shock factor makes up a big part of why so many people do it, but I'm also the type to see a bad thing with censorship. So, you can see I would have a problem with not being able to say what I want to say, but for the sake of any intelligent argument I'll digress from spewing out my typical vernacular. 

As for the OP's questions on religious viewpoints, I could care less if someone swears. I'll admit I'm more of a spiritualist that straight up christian. A lot of what I believe is not cohesive with the Bible, yadda yadda yadda, swearing isn't so bad to me, but the children aspect I have to agree on. Kids shouldn't be raised around cursing all the time. They need to understand why it's deemed bad and what it reflects when it's said. That's just common sense, so I agree with your viewpoint on children.

Edit: I think I use the word 'vernacular' wrong, so I guess I don't need to swear to show how dumb I really am, haha.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 07:54:12 AM »
As a Christian, the only thing I don't say is GD, that is taking the Lord's name in vain, and I just think it is disrespectful.  Other than that, they are just words, but I still think that certain words are acceptable in public and some aren't.  I think that "hell" "damn" and probably even "shit" are OK in most situations, but "fuck" and most especially "cunt" are words that should only be used in very select company.  There are too many people who have no respect for themselves or others and let words like that fly around no matter where they are.  It kind of sucks, especially if you are just waiting in line at a store or a movie theater with your wife and kids and have to listen to a couple of neaderthals dropping "fucks" and "cunts" all over the place.

Actually, yesterday I was driving with my 8-year old daughter, and I got a call on my cell phone and accidentally used "fuck."  When I got off the phone, I apologized to my daughter for dropping the F-bomb, and she said "Dad, I'm OK with the H-word, next time use that."  I was very contrite and agreed to do that.  :biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 08:03:46 AM »
I don't get it... what does saying a word have to do with being a Christian or not?

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 08:11:36 AM »
I like swearing.. I swear more than boys do... as long as I don't hurt anyone.... I don't think it has anything to do with religion... idk.. maybe it has... but IMO, there are lots of other things that we need to do to be a good person...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 08:24:18 AM »
It may go back to the Ten Commandments.  The 3rd Commandment is "Thou shalt not take my name in vain" but I've seen "Thou shalt not swear" as Number 3.

I don't think they're the same thing at all, but I read it as a child in some modern (at the time) translation of the Bible and it caused some confusion as to what the definition of "swearing" really is.  There are some words which are considered profane, but IMO there are other words which are much more offensive.  I'm pretty loose with generic F-bombs and other profanity, but people who know me know I'm really pissed if I break Rule #3.  The real one.

We used to giggle in Sunday School whenever we'd read a passage with the word "ass" in it, because "ass" is a bad word.  Our teacher pointed out that it's how you use the word that determines whether it's bad or not, and I think that just goes back to whether or not you've offended somebody.  Maybe it's because Christians are always trying to be politically correct and not offend anybody.

No, that can't be it.  I've heard some pretty offensive stuff from people claiming to be Christian.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 08:25:54 AM »
I don't get it... what does saying a word have to do with being a Christian or not?
Most of them don't have anything specifically to do with being a Christian or not.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 08:30:27 AM »
Well, I swear like a sailor. Most people get very confused when they see the Bible verse tattooed on my arm. Granted, its more than just that that caused me to create this topic.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 09:03:47 AM »
They're words.  Used for effect.  For me, personally, it depends on who I am with.  I'm obviously not going to drop too many f-bombs when I'm hanging out with my mother, although she's been known to swear like a sailor (mostly in Portuguese) when she's pissed off. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:14:50 PM by kirksnosehair »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »
The absolute worst however is people who use homophones of the real thing. E.g. heck, fricking, jebus. "Shut the front door" takes the cake on that one.

rumborak

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 04:06:29 PM »
The absolute worst however is people who use homophones of the real thing. E.g. heck, fricking, jebus. "Shut the front door" takes the cake on that one.

rumborak

I think "shut the front door" is pretty funny.   :P
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline jsem

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 04:16:05 PM »
Is that supposed to be instead of STFU? I'm not familiar with that...

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »
there are a number of passages in new testament that speak of avoiding "filthy language" (Col 3:8) or giving thanks and speaking words of grace rather than corrupt communication (Eph 5:4; Col 4:6).  obviously, words are nothing and further it is subjective as to what is inappropriate words.  nevertheless, the principle at the core is that a Christian is called to use language that demonstrates grace and thankfulness rather than is corrupt.  I am hard pressed to figure how language that a culture considers corrupt is acceptable language for a Christian.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »

rumborak

Oh yeah?!  Well Mother Father, you can just go to Helen's house and shut the front door!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 05:07:50 PM »
there are a number of passages in new testament that speak of avoiding "filthy language" (Col 3:8) or giving thanks and speaking words of grace rather than corrupt communication (Eph 5:4; Col 4:6).  obviously, words are nothing and further it is subjective as to what is inappropriate words.  nevertheless, the principle at the core is that a Christian is called to use language that demonstrates grace and thankfulness rather than is corrupt.  I am hard pressed to figure how language that a culture considers corrupt is acceptable language for a Christian.
Speaking words of grace, what does that really mean?  To me, it sounds like speaking in a positive, polite, respectful way.  Is the use of specific words required?  Probably not.  Then why would specific words be "corrupt" or  "bad"?

Suppose someone says "Man, that guy is awesome!  I mean, he's cool as fuck!"  Suppose you have an opportunity to meet The Pope.  You drop to one knee, bow your head piously, and say with great reverence "Your Holiness, I think you're the absolute tits."

Not exactly graceful, but not really "corrupt" communication either, right?  I still think it's the message that counts, moreso than the specific words.  In fact, it's even possible that the speaker doesn't even realize that his choice of words is not appropriate for "polite company" having never been in such a situation and never being schooled in it.  Is it still a sin?

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 05:22:48 PM »
Speaking words of grace, what does that really mean?  To me, it sounds like speaking in a positive, polite, respectful way.  Is the use of specific words required?  Probably not.  Then why would specific words be "corrupt" or  "bad"?

Suppose someone says "Man, that guy is awesome!  I mean, he's cool as fuck!"  Suppose you have an opportunity to meet The Pope.  You drop to one knee, bow your head piously, and say with great reverence "Your Holiness, I think you're the absolute tits."

Not exactly graceful, but not really "corrupt" communication either, right?  I still think it's the message that counts, moreso than the specific words.  In fact, it's even possible that the speaker doesn't even realize that his choice of words is not appropriate for "polite company" having never been in such a situation and never being schooled in it.  Is it still a sin?

in regard to your first question, I forgot about this passage.  "Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers." (Eph 4:29).  That helps define graceful words as those which build up (literal meaning of edification).
as I mentioned, corrupt words are subjective, and your point is well taken that there is the angle that "it's the message that counts."  the other passages i mentioned seem pretty clear, though, that a Christian is to use words carefully and to be cautious of how they are viewed culturally.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 08:30:54 PM »
Yeah, that does clarify things a bit.

I'm still gonna go with connotation over denotation, though.  I realize that to some Christians, I'm the ultimate cop-out; I tend to interpret the Bible in ways which make the most sense to me.  I've seen some really stupid things from people who try to interpret it too literally, and I honestly believe that there's plenty of room for error creep from all the times it's been translated and re-interpreted.  In this case, I just can't believe that God would say "There are certain words which are sinful to say" but I can believe that he'd want us to say only good things and avoid saying bad things in general.  Yeah, Paul was divinely inspired and all that, but I really think that sometimes you don't just blindly do whatever he wrote in his letters.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 10:59:44 PM »
I can go with that, for the most part
perhaps this is why god created this smiley  :censored

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2011, 02:49:04 AM »
There is a correlation between cursing and repressed anger and aggression.  It is in some cases a "safety" valve for these feelings that we can use without resorting to more physical means.  Of course this is just a bit of it.  I personally curse like a drunken Irish sailor, but in my work enviornment, it is almost expected of me.  As to the religious connection, I'm sure the pope has dropped an f-bomb or two in his life.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2011, 02:56:53 AM »

rumborak

Oh yeah?!  Well Mother Father, you can just go to Helen's house and shut the front door!!

hahaha good one :)

As to the religious connection, I'm sure the pope has dropped an f-bomb or two in his life.

I could die to see that :)