Author Topic: What Drummers Complete Body Of Work...  (Read 5592 times)

Offline Crazy4DT

• or, not so Crazy4DT
  • DT.net Veteran
  • I am Kimberlyand.
Re: What Drummers Complete Body Of Work...
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 02:08:39 PM »
You know what. Forget it. I made sure to include quality recorded performances.

I'm outta here. I guess if you like MP around here you have a fucking target on your back.

Later

Bahahaha.. MP hardcore fans are incapable of any discussion that could potentially cast MP in a bad light.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 02:41:21 PM »
emtee:

That was truly profound.  Well played, sir. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 02:52:41 PM »
GH has NOWHERE
near as many albums recorded as MP.

nope.avi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Harrison#Discography
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Portnoy#Discography
Actually,  I think this kind of demonstrated the point Emptee was trying to make.  How many of those Gavin Harrison recordings has anybody ever actually listened to?  Three, four projects?  I agree with most people that GH is a far superior drummer to MP,  but I'd much rather listen to MP's body of music.  He's got a versatility to do many different things, and the taste and sensibility to make sure they're all worth listening to. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 03:04:12 PM »
Vinnie Colaiuta

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2011, 03:04:49 PM »
GH has NOWHERE
near as many albums recorded as MP.

nope.avi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Harrison#Discography
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Portnoy#Discography
Actually,  I think this kind of demonstrated the point Emptee was trying to make.  How many of those Gavin Harrison recordings has anybody ever actually listened to?  Three, four projects?  I agree with most people that GH is a far superior drummer to MP,  but I'd much rather listen to MP's body of music.  He's got a versatility to do many different things, and the taste and sensibility to make sure they're all worth listening to. 

There's a difference between popular releases and worth listening to.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 03:10:59 PM »
This thread didn't last very long at all...  :lol
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 03:14:52 PM »
Porcaro has an impressive disco and Steve Gadd played on too many head line recordings to mention.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2011, 03:23:04 PM »
after reading this thread i feel so emtee

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2011, 03:28:45 PM »
Cozy Powell
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2011, 03:37:01 PM »
Cozy Powell, Carl Palmer, Phil Collins, Neil Peart, Bill Bruford, Billy Cobham...shall I continue?

Mike Portnoy is good, but seriously, did you think people this knowledgeable about music couldn't come up with people with comparable bodies of work?
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2011, 05:15:55 PM »
Cozy Powell
Cozy is a good pick based on the remarkable amount of good albums he's been on, although he's nowhere near the drummer MP is. 

Cozy Powell, Carl Palmer, Phil Collins, Neil Peart, Bill Bruford, Billy Cobham...shall I continue?

Mike Portnoy is good, but seriously, did you think people this knowledgeable about music couldn't come up with people with comparable bodies of work?
I believe he was asking a question and stating his opinion,  rather than issuing a challenge.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2011, 05:21:01 PM »

I'm outta here. I guess if you like MP around here you have a fucking target on your back.

Later

Bahahaha.. MP hardcore fans are incapable of any discussion that could potentially cast MP in a bad light.

The sad thing is that it wasn't even casting MP in a bad light; it's just that he wasn't some amazing untouchable drumgod.  Oh no, there are actually other drummers in the same league as MP or (gasp) perhaps even better!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2011, 05:35:02 PM »

Later

The sad thing is that it wasn't even casting MP in a bad light; it's just that he wasn't some amazing untouchable drumgod.  Oh no, there are actually other drummers in the same league as MP or (gasp) perhaps even better!

I noticed that, it was like....

Emtee- MP is the best

DTF- But Gavin Harrison

Emtee-

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2011, 05:39:37 PM »
 :lol

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2011, 06:00:58 PM »
emtee come back

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2011, 06:29:21 PM »
Cozy Powell
Cozy is a good pick based on the remarkable amount of good albums he's been on, although he's nowhere near the drummer MP is. 

I believe he was asking a question and stating his opinion,  rather than issuing a challenge.

His original intent may not have been to challenge people, but the second he flatly rejected the notion of Gavin Harrison being worthy to consider beside of MP, it sure as hell turned into one.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2011, 07:57:15 PM »
A few names come to mind:
Philly Joe Jones
Elvin Jones
Bill Bruford
Billy Cobham
Jeff Porcaro
I like this list.

Also, there was once (and might still be) a drummer called Anthony Williams who pretty much bled awesome.

Also, OP =

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2011, 08:21:37 PM »
Cozy Powell

His original intent may not have been to challenge people, but the second he flatly rejected the notion of Gavin Harrison being worthy to consider beside of MP, it sure as hell turned into one.

It was definitely a challenge.  The thread title asks (paraphrasing) "What other drummer's complete body of work compares with Mike Portnoy's?"  People actually answered the question, and he ran away screaming.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2011, 03:16:17 AM »
emtee come back

I had seen this yesterday and laughed. I saw it today and loled fucking hard again.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2011, 06:55:17 AM »
Jeff Porcaro is a great choice.  As well as Steve Gadd and Pat Mastelotto.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2011, 08:57:12 PM »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2011, 07:12:56 PM »
Dozens of guys. First one to come to my mind is:

B
U
D
D
Y

R
I
C
H

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2011, 07:51:40 PM »
Brann Dailor is my favorite drummer.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2011, 09:59:38 PM »
Just to point out, the two Wiki lists/Discographies that were posted have differences - Gavin's lists Live records/albums while Mike's only lists some - of great absence are all the DT live albums he's released (officially and even through YtseJamRecords). Also, how many making-of-album-drum-videos has Gavin released? If he's released some, I guess I've missed them, but I'd like to see drum-cam studio footage of his PT album sessions.

Also, MP's released 3 "instructional" videos that cover a WIDE range of his material, both in DT and with side projects. And speaking of which, that list omits his two upcoming projects, including Flying Colors. Just saying.

I'm not as huge of an MP fanboy as many others, but I think it's unfair to say GH>MP just because his easily-edited Wiki article (that isn't even complete) has less stuff on it. I'll agree, GH is a damn good drummer, but so are many others. But that's not the point of his thread. The point was to discuss a drummer's range and depth of work. MP has a HUGE range of work, and his personal, and unofficial bootleg releases really give his fans a great insight into his work - things like the drum-cam videos and commentary on a LOT of things really let us dive into his technique, his thoughts, and his creative process.

GH is a different beast than MP is, and I think it's silly to compare them in this respect. Props should go to both, for doing what they both do best. I'm sure they would only say great things about each other, anyway.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2011, 10:18:23 PM »
Cozy Powell is one of my favourites for sure.

Offline emtee

« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »
My apologies for the "ragequit".

At 49 friends and family members start getting bad medical diagnoses and unfortunately 2 people close to me have
terminal cancer and I think the stress of this manifested in a less than satisfactory way. And some other things I
won't get into.

Obviously I was wrong about Gavin and didn't research beforehand.

I think some responses were harsh but alas, that is the way the internet seems to work.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2011, 11:09:30 AM »
Bruford (pre-Earthworks solo career, Yes, KC) and D'Virgilio (Neal's Beard, Kevin Gilbert, Mike Keneally Band) come to mind.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2011, 11:35:05 AM »
Bruford (pre-Earthworks solo career, Yes, KC) and D'Virgilio (Neal's Beard, Kevin Gilbert, Mike Keneally Band) come to mind.

I think Bruford is a good choice - he's played with Yes, Genesis AND King Crimson, three of the 5 biggest 70's classic prog bands. Not to mention the countless other groups he's performed/recorded with.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2011, 12:24:28 PM »
Sorry to hear about your family members, emtee.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2011, 01:29:33 PM »
The first person I thought of was Josh Freese! This guy is fantastic! He's a session drummer, so of course he's recorded with many artists. His resume is pretty impressive and diverse-Punk, Metal, Prog, Pop, and probably more. As far as quality, well he's awesome. I can't imagine him not putting out something of amazing quality. See below from Wikipedia:

Josh Freese (born December 25, 1972)[1] is an American session drummer and songwriter. He is a permanent member of A Perfect Circle, The Vandals, and Devo, having formerly played drums for Nine Inch Nails from late 2005 until late 2008, and for Guns N' Roses from mid-1998 to 2001. Freese has appeared on close to 300 records.[2] He is currently performing live with Devo and Weezer. In December 2010, Josh began touring with Paramore on their South American Tour, temporarily replacing the drummer Zac Farro after he and his brother left the band earlier the same month. ... Also in 2010 alone: Michael Buble Social Distortion, Joe Cocker, Devo, Megadeth, Katy Perry, The Vandals, Cher, Gavin Rossdale, Avril Lavigne