Author Topic: This is Canada  (Read 1990 times)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
This is Canada
« on: December 16, 2011, 05:51:11 AM »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/12/15/pol-attawapiskat-121511.html

Look at the pictures people.

Saints, we are not.
We're on par, or worse than China with our human rights attrocities against our natives but holy fuck do we know how to hide it.

I don't know what the solution is, but hiding behind the "We let them govern themselves so we're not responsible" argument is bullshit.

Im ashamed.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline GuineaPig

Re: This is Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 08:05:20 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty damn embarrassing. 

Putting us on par with China I disagree with (we've never done anything similar to those extremes), but our assumed superiority to Americans re: slavery is misplaced given the shit we've put our native population through.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 09:12:27 AM »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/12/15/pol-attawapiskat-121511.html

Look at the pictures people.

Saints, we are not.
We're on par, or worse than China with our human rights attrocities against our natives but holy fuck do we know how to hide it.

I don't know what the solution is, but hiding behind the "We let them govern themselves so we're not responsible" argument is bullshit.

Im ashamed.

I'm not close to the aboriginal issues, so apologies if I'm minimizing anything.  However, isn't this what they want?  To be treated independently (don't tax us the same, don't police us, we'll be responsible), but when the going gets tough, they don't hold themselves accountable?  Again, I don't know the specifics on this band, but that's the sense I get.  I read the article, and am having trouble understanding why they don't want the gov't to help with their finances.  Clearly, with the housing shortage they are having trouble doing it themselves.

Saying that we're on par or worse than China is a little much though.  Aboriginal issues (here or in the US) are an absolute cluster, and there's likely no win-win ever.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:43:47 AM »
FWIW, I love Canada and I love Canadians.   :metal   Great people and a great country. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 09:50:15 AM »
Someone didn't read the OP. :p
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 01:31:16 PM »
Someone didn't read the OP. :p

I read it.  I don't think you can blame this on everyone in Canada, just like you can't blame Guantanamo Bay on everyone in the US.  I was just showing some love for my friends from up north  :)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 02:25:10 PM »
So lemme see if I got this right.  The white man gives the Indians money to help take care of their needy.  The red man doesn't spend the money,  and send up smoke signals that they're poor and unsheltered.  The Great White Chief says he wants to appoint a third party administrator to oversee the spending of his hand outs,  and the Red Man is pissed about losing it's sovereignty? 

And because of that people are comparing them to the yellow man? 

This about right?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 02:57:33 PM »
holy lol Barto  :lol
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 10:01:42 AM »
So lemme see if I got this right.  The white man gives the Indians money to help take care of their needy.  The red man doesn't spend the money,  and send up smoke signals that they're poor and unsheltered.  The Great White Chief says he wants to appoint a third party administrator to oversee the spending of his hand outs,  and the Red Man is pissed about losing it's sovereignty? 

And because of that people are comparing them to the yellow man? 

This about right?

colour coded to perfection.
with no solution in sight.
My father, who is almost 70 and by anyone's standards a biggot, (especially towards natives as he lives in B.C) sees more of these issue up close. The reserve is accross the street from him.
IF you build these peoeple new homes (his words here - but sadly he's right - I've seen it) they destroy them inside of 6 months. The rip everything down off the walls and burn it. Why don't they cut the wood down on their reserves and burn that? Fucking sacred trees. So. Then they rip out all the plumbing, toilets, taps and everthing else and sell it. Shit in the hole they made where the toilet was, by booze, not wood with the money they got and freeze.

Then they complain.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 10:35:28 AM »
Normally I can empathize with people but not the native populous of Canada. From what I've seen, they want no tax and many receive free education. They should be the most powerful people in Canada. Instead they bitch and complain about keeping there traditions and they don't what to change at all. I had a conversation once with a Native, all I did was ask her questions and she started calling me an ignorant white man and that wasn't the first time either. I live right next to a reserve I see stupid crap all the time. They once barricaded the roads to the town I live in because they were trying to claim the land the town is on. Literally took a backhoe and ripped a 5 foot whole across the road and police did nothing about it! 

They don't seem to understand that a culture that does not grow and evolves becomes stagnant and dies. I'll respect the individual for achievements and good deeds but I have no respect for them as a people.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 08:47:58 PM »
I would like to hear what the community thinks. As every govt is corrupted, I wouldn't doubt their leaders are a bit.
I don't know these peoples, but what I know is natives just want to live as they once did, while also being treated as equals of the nation. Many cities  misuse funds, not just reserves.

Also, before people post I highly suggest having an understanding of the people. Or else it's blind  accusations

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 09:19:50 PM »
I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario. We have a very aboriginal community and everyone whose not native seems to hate them. It's really embarrassing. Sucks living in a racist town.
Not so sure about hiding it.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 09:27:43 AM »
So lemme see if I got this right.  The white man gives the Indians money to help take care of their needy.  The red man doesn't spend the money
Of course, the red man doesn't spend the money... you gave it some guys in Bombay or Calcutta...