Author Topic: Howard Stern hired for America's Got Talent  (Read 2949 times)

Offline William Wallace

Howard Stern hired for America's Got Talent
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »
And the Christian Right is flipping out.

On Thursday, NBC announced that infamous shock jock Howard Stern will serve as a judge on the prime-time talent competition America's Got Talent. Both the network and Piers Morgan, who Stern is replacing, have expressed their excitement about the change, citing his experience as an entertainer. But not everybody is thrilled with this developed. A conservative advocacy group called The Parents Television Council (PTC) is calling Stern's hiring “...An act of desperation for a flailing network...” and claims it is proof that NBC's principles have “...Clearly gone out the window.”

Like the PTC, I don't like Stern. I don't find him entertaining, and my kids wouldn't be allowed to watch or listen to him. Unlike the guardians of morality at the PTC, however, that's where my crusade stops. There's no reason to attack Hollywood...

Go.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: Howard Stern hired for America's Got Talent
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:29:29 PM »
Indefinite military detention of US citizens is about to be codified into law and this is what people get upset about. I love my country :lol

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:35:19 PM »
Indefinite military detention of US citizens is about to be codified into law and this is what people get upset about. I love my country :lol
Dude, swearing and sex jokes lead to more sin, which results in hell opening up. Indefinite military detention has nothing on Hell fire!

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:41:49 PM »
Reminds of me of the Florida Family Association complaining about there being a reality show about an American Muslim couple, and how it's too tame, and doesn't show them being insane extremists, or something.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 03:50:20 PM »
Reminds of me of the Florida Family Association complaining about there being a reality show about an American Muslim couple, and how it's too tame, and doesn't show them being insane extremists, or something.
Seriously? Do you have a link?

Offline jsem

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »
This is lolzworthy.

Offline Scheavo

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 09:17:37 PM »
That's really helping my misanthropia, thanks! :tup

(The American Muslim bit, not the Howard Stern bit)

It actually reminds me of this one short clip from inside the universe of the V for Vendetta film: Storm Saxon.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 09:51:29 PM »
What a silly thing to get upset about. And Howard Stern is infinitely more likeable than Piers Morgan, in my opinion, so it's a slight step up for the show.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 12:07:20 AM »
Show is actually going to be watchable now. Well I watched the last half of the last season because of the Landau Murphy jr. but i wasn't planning on watching this season. Now I am.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 10:00:02 AM »
I can't stand this show.  I'm not sure that Stern will change that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 10:49:36 AM »
Hey, PTC:  F off.

I hope his first appearance on the show is in full-on Fartman apparel.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 11:17:56 AM »
Hey, PTC:  F off.

I hope his first appearance on the show is in full-on Fartman apparel.
One blogger I found while researching for the article said that PTC is just a publicity stunt established by Hollywood publicists. It's probably true.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
That would be absolutely genius.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 12:42:10 PM »
Howard knows how to make money.  I still won't watch the show but good for him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 01:28:57 PM »
I didn't realize Morgan was leaving.  I hope the door doesn't rip a 6 foot wide hole in his ass on the way out.  Really, I do  :P

Howard Stern should be.....interesting....in that role.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 08:59:04 AM »
Those who have negative opinions of Howard tend to think he's just an outrageously sick sex-crazed madman who swears every other word. And he is really not like that, especially nowadays. He's simply gonna give an honest opinion and wants to get rid of the ass-kissing that goes on in these talent shows to performers who aren't really that good.

Im sure he'll be great, I just hope that his bad reputation doesnt ruin people's chance to actually see how he really is

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 09:03:54 AM »
Those who have negative opinions of Howard tend to think he's just an outrageously sick sex-crazed madman who swears every other word. And he is really not like that, especially nowadays. He's simply gonna give an honest opinion and wants to get rid of the ass-kissing that goes on in these talent shows to performers who aren't really that good.

Im sure he'll be great, I just hope that his bad reputation doesnt ruin people's chance to actually see how he really is

This. Most people who hate him have never even heard his show.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 09:07:48 PM »
Dude, swearing and sex jokes lead to more sin, which results in hell opening up. Indefinite military detention has nothing on Hell fire!

That reminds me of this awesome quote from an uptight community activist about a new strip club they're building (to replace the old one mind you):

Karitis predicted that the area will be “a breeding ground for drug activity, prostitution, criminal activity, sexual assault and disease” if nothing is done to reject the adult entertainment site.

He also suggested that it can lead to an environment ripe for sexual predators, pedophiles and sex trafficking, while lowering property values in the vicinity.

I burst out laughing when I read that.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 09:43:04 PM »

That reminds me of this awesome quote from an uptight community activist about a new strip club they're building (to replace the old one mind you):

Karitis predicted that the area will be “a breeding ground for drug activity, prostitution, criminal activity, sexual assault and disease” if nothing is done to reject the adult entertainment site.

He also suggested that it can lead to an environment ripe for sexual predators, pedophiles and sex trafficking, while lowering property values in the vicinity.

I burst out laughing when I read that.
People are comical.