Author Topic: Red - Feed The Machine vs. DT - BMU, BMD  (Read 94216 times)

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
Re: Red - Feed The Machine
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2011, 05:05:24 PM »
Haha, nicely put.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2011, 05:07:01 PM »
I think I may have just made some enemies.  Couldn't help it though.

I think I'm in love  :heart

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2011, 05:07:18 PM »
Bosk FTW

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Red - Feed The Machine vs. DT - BMU, BMD
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2011, 05:23:27 PM »
The dark blue names don't come with a suck up guarantee. Man could speak his mind.
All the other shades of blue and the green are behind ya bosk :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2011, 05:24:49 PM »
MP, Jesus Christ.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2011, 05:31:44 PM »
The dark blue names don't come with a suck up guarantee. Man could speak his mind.
All the other shades of blue and the green are behind ya bosk :lol

:lol  It's not a "suck up" issue.  It's just that I feel a certain amount of respect is due on the forum that has the band's name on it.  That often means just taking the high road and not saying anything.  And I still don't think it's my place to criticize, but I'm sorry--there's just a certain point where when you are aggressively being hypocritical in a public way...it's difficult to not point that out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2011, 05:36:16 PM »
Funny how perspectives change.  When Mike was in the band, this sort of thing was perfectly fine, and he would be all over anyone who publicly criticized.  Now that he is out of the band, it's suddenly okay to mock and make plagiarism accusations.  Interesting.
This exactly.

To be honest it is getting old. If that is a quote from MP, well at this point I am starting to actually be sad for him. Dont get me wrong. I have followed Mike since 1988. It is sad that it has come to these stupid digs at this point. Sometimes Mike, the less said the better.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2011, 06:03:55 PM »
From Portnoy: Hey...I'm not trying to start a war....and I am indeed totally in a happy place in my life and career...I'm just merely making an observation and posting openly on my own forum like I always have and always will...
If anybody ELSE wants to blow this up, it's ther choice and doing...not mine!

And PS - to defend music that I co-wrote/arranged (that were sited previously in this thread), there's a difference between "inspiration corner"/"coping a certain vibe" and blatantly re-writing an existing song or formula section by section...

Hey, I'm not mad...just merely sharing an observation as a listener...sorry, when I heard that Red song it immediately jumped out at me and was pretty obvious,.

Anyways, on a happier note, Happy Holidaze everyone!
Hope you all have a great 2012,
MP

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2011, 06:12:24 PM »
MP's comments are hilarious. I mean, geez, this happened when he was in the band too, when it was called "inspiration corner". And furthermore, Mike just finished forming what is the most unoriginal metal group most people have ever heard.

While the similarities between the songs are hard to ignore, t it's not plagiarism. It's unfortunate, and you would expect a little bit more from Petrucci, but if you look at cases where accusations of plagiarism have been carried out successfully you'll notice that this is a far cry from the norm.

Offline Omega

« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2011, 06:17:35 PM »
I mean - of course MP has the right to share his thoughts, frustrations, disappointments and opinions - but does he not realize that they can be quite offensive or even cruel?
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2011, 06:19:05 PM »
From Portnoy: Hey...I'm not trying to start a war....and I am indeed totally in a happy place in my life and career...I'm just merely making an observation and posting openly on my own forum like I always have and always will...
If anybody ELSE wants to blow this up, it's ther choice and doing...not mine!

And PS - to defend music that I co-wrote/arranged (that were sited previously in this thread), there's a difference between "inspiration corner"/"coping a certain vibe" and blatantly re-writing an existing song or formula section by section...

Hey, I'm not mad...just merely sharing an observation as a listener...sorry, when I heard that Red song it immediately jumped out at me and was pretty obvious,.

Anyways, on a happier note, Happy Holidaze everyone!
Hope you all have a great 2012,
MP

Newsflash:  It doesn't matter whether he is in a happy place, whether he is mad, or whatever.  The issue is that he, completely unsolicited, publicly accused a former band =member of plagiarism.  And what's more, he did so for the same exact type of thing he has been a part of for years. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2011, 06:39:27 PM »
Bosk,

asl? We've been agreeing on most posts today. Especially the "exception to the rule" thing over at PR. I think I'm in love.

You know what? I had never heard about Red before this, and thank God I did. They're actually a nice change of pace. JP nodding his appreciation to them? COOL! It added a different sound for Dream Theater and I fucking liked it.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2011, 07:02:59 PM »
Irony MP. Its a bitch isnt it. ALL musicians, from the greatest all have influences and things that catch their ear. SHIT, how much have your favorite bands influnced you and your music. I think we all know who they are. It has been evident for the past 20 years. But you know what, IMHO, thats cool. I would be honored as a musician that I had influence and had another musician say, WOW, that shit is cool, maybe we can try something like that. Shit, most musicians have been influenced from Beethoven to friggin Chick Corea.

I have the upmost respect for Mike for over 20+ years. I respect part of his most recent reply and am happy for him that he is in a good place personally. Truthfully I mean that. But again, sometimes, the less said the better. We ALL have opinions, and we all know what they say about opinions. But I have to be honest, at this point Mike, take the high road. To be honest, I have not heard the current members of DT, talking trash about MP's current projects (unless I have missed something). Current members of DT for the most part have not taken digs at MP. At least on public forums. Again Mike, I have had the UPMOST RESPECT for you, but I gotta be honest, you said you have moved on, and for that I wish you the best. But stop it with the digs. Its blatant and obvious.

Happy Hollidaze!
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »
lolMP. It's the gift that just keeps on giving, apparently. He really, really, really needs to overlook how he approaches these comments that he likes to make.

There is this thing about 'drama' that I've noticed (which includes the 13-18 year old kids on facebook/other social sites), is that the people who want the drama to stop are usually the ones starting it. MP is clearly starting drama here and then goes to say how he's not here to start drama and people should leave it be, or w/e. Come on, MP.

And then we get a comment about not being able to handle the truth. Really?

My respect for MP is non-existent right now. I thought it couldn't go any lower after the I&W situation, but here we are and he made it happen. Cool, I guess.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Resonate

« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2011, 07:35:52 PM »
To be honest, I have not heard the current members of DT, talking trash about MP's current projects (unless I have missed something). Current members of DT for the most part have not taken digs at MP. At least on public forums.

I seem to recall that JR actually praised the Adrenaline Mob EP in an interview, though I unfortunately can't remember exactly which interview that was done in. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2011, 07:36:25 PM »
RVM, I think you've inadvertently hit the nail on the head there. Right now, I'm getting the idea that very few people actually read MP's post not looking to find some kind of sport therein. His is becoming to the prog/metal communities what people like Rush Limbaugh and Donald Trump are to the Colbert Report.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2011, 07:47:17 PM »
I seem to recall that JR actually praised the Adrenaline Mob EP in an interview, though I unfortunately can't remember exactly which interview that was done in.
Here you go

https://lithiummagazine.com/interview-jordan-rudess-dream-theater-october-7th-2011

We wrapped up talking about other new releases that had been good this year. Opeth and Mastodon came up, and then Rudess started talking about Portnoy’s Adrenaline Mob material and how much he enjoyed it, suggesting that I check their material out.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2011, 07:55:21 PM »
Like I previously said, I have been a HUGE MP guy since 1988. I have had the upmost respect for Mike and for the most part have given him the benifit of the doubt up until a few months ago. I get it Mike, but let it go. You are actually doing more harm to yourself by taking digs (whether justified or not). Again, I am happy for you that you are in a good place and wish you the best. But come on now, stop with the digs. As a musician (not even including that you are a former member of DT), I have not heard you say anything, well even positive about the current DT. I get it, DT was your baby. and whatever happened, well happened. You cant honestly say that you dont dig ADTOE. at least some of it. Shit, you worked with your "Brothers" for over 20 years. Collaborated with your brothers for over 20 years. And put out some MONSTEROUS music. and despite you not being there now. Well I for one will say, I STILL hear your influence on ADTOE.  Things change. allbeit for better or worse. Thats life. You are better than the digs Mike.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2011, 07:57:34 PM »
Here you go

https://lithiummagazine.com/interview-jordan-rudess-dream-theater-october-7th-2011

We wrapped up talking about other new releases that had been good this year. Opeth and Mastodon came up, and then Rudess started talking about Portnoy’s Adrenaline Mob material and how much he enjoyed it, suggesting that I check their material out.

Juuuust to satisfy my curiosity... are you Spiritus over at MP.com?

And on the subject at hand... I really wish I could get into Portnoy's head at the moment. I just want to understand what it is that makes him think that what he's about to say is definitely a good idea and will definitely not blow up in his face. I just cannot believe that he doesn't seem to expect the flak he gets for his posts. No one can be that short sighted.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2011, 07:58:46 PM »
Nope. Images and Memory. And I will probably be banned there for what I said
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »

Their loss. :yarr
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2011, 08:03:59 PM »

Oh, yeah. That's it. Sorry, I got some posts mixed up there!

And that's another thing. MP almost certainly knows that what's being posted over there is being reported to several other fan forums... how can he not realize that deleting posts and banning members and generally trying to airbrush over any sort of come-back is only going to reflect EVEN MORE negatively on him? Again, I just can't believe that someone could be so oblivious to this.

Offline Resonate

« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2011, 08:05:16 PM »
Here you go

Yeah, thank you!  :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2011, 08:20:42 PM »
Guys.... Blabbermouth... lol

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2011, 08:25:24 PM »
All I'm gonna say is this made me laugh.

Bosk,

asl?

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2011, 08:27:31 PM »
Guys.... Blabbermouth... lol
It was only a matter of time.

:neverusethis:
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2011, 08:31:09 PM »
I am tired. Gonna have to wait till tommorrow for for the next chapter of "As the Portnoy Turns" soap opera
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2011, 08:40:07 PM »

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2011, 08:41:52 PM »
In all honesty, there's may be passing similarities in the riffing, tone and transitions into the chorus. But you can't condemn a man for being inspired by something. I'd hardly call it plagiarism.

And MP...I just...there's nothing to say. I'm at the point where I'm just gonna forget about the guy and ignore him.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2011, 09:20:50 PM »
Congrats, MP.  You managed give the "BMUBMD" story a quick backseat and now the real news is about yourself unprofessionally and unnecessarily, in my opinion, taking a dig at your former bandmates once again.  Sheesh.   ::)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2011, 09:27:12 PM »
Congrats, MP.  You managed give the "BMUBMD" story a quick backseat and now the real news is about yourself unprofessionally and unnecessarily, in my opinion, taking a dig at your former bandmates once again.  Sheesh.   ::)
Honestly, seeing how MP's treated his ex-band members over the last year has completely flipped how I look at DT history. We always got the story about Charlie Dominici, David Prater, Kevin Moore, Derek Sherinian, the Record Label, Geoff Tate, and others straight from MP. Now, I've really started reconsidering all of that. Seeing how MP's been completely wrong and out-of-line when he talks about his former band-mates has definitely got me thinking that maybe there was something more to all of the above situations.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:43:04 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2011, 09:42:07 PM »
Basically, MP's comments make it look like he is trying to embarrass DT and turn people against them.  It's disgusting, IMO.

An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline MarlaHooch

« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2011, 09:58:56 PM »
Just wow.

I learned my lesson about expressing my (perfectly valid/not glowing) opinions re:  the I & W structural similarities, so my only comment with this one will be "just wow."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2011, 10:04:51 PM »
Just wow.

I learned my lesson about expressing my (perfectly valid/not glowing) opinions re:  the I & W structural similarities, so my only comment with this one will be "just wow."

Um, weren't you saying it was structurally identical to "Surrounded" or something then?  :\ Honestly, this "finding" just proves how bogus Thiago was.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2011, 10:09:23 PM »
Ok i've listened to this song a few times now. The beginning is similar but after that i don't hear it that much at all. Sounds like he was way into this album and was inspired by it, this happens ALL the time. Maybe the beginning was to close to the other song and that is the fault but it's not a big deal to me. Let's not forget the muse stuff and pink floyd, metallica, etc.