Author Topic: Lateralus88's Top 50 Albums v. Objectively correct list  (Read 49209 times)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Re: Lateralus88's Top 50 Albums v. Objectively correct list
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2011, 02:59:59 PM »
Live albums don't cou--

But before you go telling me that this doesn't count, let me start off by saying shut your whore mouth this live album is fucking awesome as all fuck.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2011, 03:01:13 PM »
Ahhh Alex, that reminds me, is this picture from the Target you work at?

Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2011, 03:03:35 PM »
 :metal :lol

Naw, if it were Target it would say "Team Member" instead of employee.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2011, 03:13:17 PM »
That makes it sound like you're in a cult.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »
That makes it sound like you're in a kvlt.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2011, 03:16:05 PM »

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2011, 03:20:37 PM »

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2011, 03:21:20 PM »
Oh yeah and so my recent update isn't lost in the last page, here you go.

35. Alive in Athens by Iced Earth

Yes, yes I know. This is a live album. But before you go telling me that this doesn't count, let me start off by saying shut your whore mouth this live album is fucking awesome as all fuck. Probably one of my favourite live albums of all time. The sheer amount of energy given off by the band is absolutely astonishing. Alive in Athens gives you a good taste of what Iced Earth is like both live, and a good trip through their entire discog before Horror Show was released and before Barlow had quit the band (3 whole discs, man). The heavy sound of the guitars on this recording and the sound of Matt Barlow's voice in a live setting is so god damn cool sounding. Sure, there was a bit of dubbing in the studio, but that really doesn't stop me from turning on Pure Evil on the first disc and rocking the fuck out. Iced Earth get a lot of crap for always writing the same riffs every album or for being labeled as standard power metal bullshit. But man, this live album is fucking heavy, and even thrashy at times. Plus, it has a live performance of A Question of Heaven on it. Which is one of the most powerful sounding live performances I can think of. So heavy sound, yeah.

Highlight Tracks - Burning Times, A Question of Heaven, Pure Evil, Desert Rain, Dante's Inferno

34. Leave a Whisper by Shinedown

Okay, once again time for something a little different. Shinedown are a band that I have been listening to since their debut, Leave A Whisper first dropped. Ever since that album, they have remained one of the most consistent hard rock bands in mainstream media to date. It's actually really hard for me to pick a single album of theirs, seeing how they are all so god damn good, but I had to pick Leave a Whisper if not purely for it being one of my favourite albums in middle school. The album is a very melancholic piece of work, often focusing on some rather sad (and sometimes angsty) topics. But there is always this undertone of positivity lurking in the tracks on this album. Especially on the song .45, which comes off as a suicide letter but is actually conveying a message of hope and looking forward. Also, Brent Smith. The man's voice is absolutely astounding. Easily one of the best hard rock singers you will hear play on the radio. It's almost unbelievable to see such talent make it so big, with the way mainstream music is operating today. And I will always be grateful that a voice such as his has reached so many people.

Highlight Tracks - Fly From The Inside, Burning Bright, .45

33. Hell Awaits by Slayer

I'm positive I'll get the obligatory "lolslayer" or "Slayer sucks" posts because of this entry, but whatever haters gonna hate. Hell Awaits is a fuckin' brutal album, and easily one of the best Slayer has ever and will ever release. It's definitely the most evil sounding record the band has recorded, both in music/vocal performances and in the production quality itself. The album itself sounds as if it were recorded in a cave within the deepest, darkest pits of hell. As if it were made out of pure, uncontrollable evil. Which was what sparked my interest upon first listen. At first it worried me a bit, because Show No Mercy's production is what keeps me from wanting to listen to it to this day. But this album is one of those rare times where low production works out really well (like in a lot of black metal as well). Coupled with the production quality, you have some of the coolest vocal sound that Tom Araya has recorded. Along with this standard vocal style, you get some of his old signature high notes that he can't come close to performing today, and you get moments that simply give me chills down my spine (At Dawn They Sleep; The hellspawn need to KILL, KILL, KILL, KILL, KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLL). This album is also filled with some of Slayer's most memorable and best material. It sticks with me much more than a lot of their later material. This is one of two perfect Slayer albums, but we (might) talk about that a little bit later into this countdown.

Highlight Tracks - Hell Awaits, At Dawn They Sleep, Praise of Death

Kosmo

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2011, 03:29:30 PM »
bad update, i don't like two of them and haven't heard one of them

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »

This made me laugh really hard for some reason :lol

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »
Cry about it?

Offline Tripp

• "Just because I OD'ed doesn't mean I do drugs"
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2011, 03:38:06 PM »
lolicedearth

hi

Kosmo

« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2011, 03:44:54 PM »
Cry about it?
Yeah, well.. Your face!

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2011, 04:16:38 PM »
Alex, why do you like bad?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2011, 04:39:21 PM »
Love Iced Earth but I hardly ever listen to that live album.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2011, 05:08:38 PM »
Iced Earth?  For dicksvckers only.
I've never heard of nvmber 34.  Pretty kvlt cover.  Wait, SHINDOWN?  Ghey.
Slayer was cool when they svcked less.  They need to bvrn some chvrches thovgh.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2011, 05:14:48 PM »
Good update. Hell Awaits is awesome, but I hope that means Reign in Blood and Seasons are both higher.

Then again, I just remembered you don't like Seasons that much. INEXCUSABLE.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
Great to see Slayer and Iced Earth!

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2011, 04:18:59 AM »
32. Gateways to Annihilation by Morbid Angel

Ah yes, Morbid Angel. Some of you had to have guessed they would eventually find their way onto this list. Gateways, while one of their later albums and one of several to not include original vocalist David Vincent, is honestly my favourite Morbid Angel album (I know I know, blasphemy blahblahblah Altars of Madness blahblahblah). It took a lot of growing, but when it did oh man was I in love. There are few (if any) albums that are nearly as fucking heavy and bro0tuhl as this album. It starts off with a very eerie, bat like sound (which continues into the next track) only to be interrupted by one of the heaviest and largest sounding riffs I have ever heard to this day. It's from this point that you know this album is going to be fuckin' immense. There are some moments of such sheer intensity that could make even those very fluent in the world of death metal a bit weary or uneasy. Gateways to Annihilation is the definition of brutality.

:2metal:

Highlight Tracks - Summoning Redemption, To the Victor The Spoils, Opening of the Gates

31. BlackwaterPark by Opeth

Speaking of brutality, let's talk Opeth. Coming in at spot 31 is one of the many masterpieces by progressive death metal band, Opeth. Blackwater Park is a solid hour and seven minutes of musical genius. What you have here is a flawless mixture of harsh, often evil sounding music mixed with the many different elements that make Opeth as fantastic as they are. I honestly can't think of any moment on this album that I could honestly wish to skip or personally wish to trim out of the mix. It's the band's most highly praised album for so many reasons, and it deserves every bit of praise it can muster up. From start to finish, I simply just can not tear my ears away from this album.

Highlight Tracks - The Leper Affinity, The Drapery Falls, Dirge For November, Blackwater Park

30. Frost by Enslaved

Alright SkyNivingDinja you wanted kvlt, you fuckin' got kvlt. Enslaved are one of my all time favourites in the world of Norwegian Black Metal; And one of the best in almost all Scandinavian Black Metal. Frost, in particular, is a very special album. Black metal is a genre that has always been praised (yes, it has fans, shocking I know) for it's ability to emulate the snowy and painfully cold landscapes of Scandinavia. Which is done best within Frost. This album, hinted at by it's name, just feels absolutely cold. Hell, the opening (title) track is just a bunch of ambient sounds that are meant to sound of icy caves. It has everything you could look for in an Enslaved album, let alone a Black Metal album. Lightning fast, cold guitar work, chaotic sounding drums, vocals that sound like they have risen from the coldest portion of hell, and even some very interesting musicianship including many progressive styles thrown in here and there (Enslaved have always been known as a progressive black metal band, especially in their latest handful of albums). And honestly, for those who are instantly turned off by the low production of most Black Metal, I'm tellin' you now, the production isn't brilliant but for an album like this it works. If this album had super crisp quality and clean tracking, it just wouldn't be the same. For a release such as Frost, everything is exactly how it should be.

Highlight Tracks - Loki, Fenris, Svart Vidder

Offline Tripp

« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2011, 04:19:58 AM »
lolopeth
hi

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2011, 04:20:52 AM »
Meh.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2011, 04:23:39 AM »
Based on your description, it sounds like I would love that Enslaved album. Will check it out tomorrow.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2011, 04:27:34 AM »
If just once during the entire duration of this Top 50 I am able to introduce someone to how god damn awesome Enslaved are, I will consider it a successful Top 50. They are rather underrated (at least amongst those I have spoken to) and thrown off as "lolblackmetal". And as a live band, they are one of the best shows I've seen live. The amount of energy they throw at their crowd is fucking ridiculous.

Offline Tripp

« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2011, 04:33:37 AM »
I'm going to give Enslaved a listen to. Might even try Blackwater Park again.
hi

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2011, 05:23:10 AM »
I was about to say how can anyone say "lolblackmetal" but then I saw lats and gadoughs sigs :p But seriously black metal is one of my favourite genres, but I do think all that kvlt stuff is stupid and fun to laugh about. The music and lyrics I try and seperate from all that stuff. Burzum is a good example, if I think about Varg and what kind of a person he is it puts me off the music a bit. Which is a shame cause he made some really good albums.

Anyway I'm getting off track. Great update, though I haven't heard any Morbid Angel.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2011, 05:27:48 AM »
I already like a bit of Enslaved (only know Axioma Ethica Odini, but I fucking love it), might give Frost a chance if i can find the time.

As for the other entries here, though i don't care for most of Opeth's work, i can say for sure that BWP is a damn good album.

And as for Morbid Angel I might give that album a listen because your description of it makes it sound like I'd love it

Kosmo

« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2011, 05:39:37 AM »
Better update, you're improving.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2011, 06:30:10 AM »
Good list so far. WYWH needs to be higher though.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2011, 06:36:07 AM »
Props for Opeth!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2011, 11:13:15 AM »
Blackwater Park is (almost) 30 places too low.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2011, 12:16:09 PM »
38. Killers by Iron Maiden

You know, over the years I've heard so many different mixed feelings about Maiden's Paul Diano era. Some love the self titled, but not so much killers; others love Killers and not the self titled; some love both equally; etc. I'm on the side of "Both are great albums but Killers is much more solid if you ask me". This was actually the second full Iron Maiden I had ever heard, waaaaaay back when I was but a wee lad in elementary school. This album fuckin' rocks so hard on so many levels. Songs like Killers and Wrathchild have such awesome riffs and sweet bass grooves that always put me in a great mood when giving this album a listen. Definitely not Maiden's all time best work, but definitely one of their most solid records to date.

Highlight Tracks - Wrathchild, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Killers

37. Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

I'll never forget the first time I heard this album. I was lying in bed at my grandparents house in Arizona during Winter break, trying to find something to help me sleep (depression ftl). I remember getting Wish You Were Here from a friend of mine telling me "Trust me, it's fucking good". The album title kind of just...spoke to me at the time. So I pressed play, put my headphones on and just relaxed myself to the music. I'll never forgot how soothing the intro it Crazy Diamond was that first time, and how much I still love that song to this day. Or how Wish You Were Here literally brought me to a soft state of melancholy and a tear to my eye. The music on this album is some of the most beautiful I have ever heard, and will always stick with me on this level. There are so many other great Pink Floyd releases, but none that hit me on quite the same emotional level that Wish You Were Here does.

Highlight Tracks - Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Wish You Were Here, Welcome to the Machine

36. Rust in Peace by Megadeth

Speaking of albums that are practically flawless on so many different degrees, here's a thrash metal classic that shall no doubt be passed down from generation to generation as one of the greatest achievements in the world of metal. This album IS Megadeth. It is the album that for years to come, Dave Mustaine has wanted to emulate but can't quite get down again. There isn't a single weak moment to be found on this album. From the second that kickass opening riff during Holy Wars starts up, all the way until the last couple of seconds of the title track, you may find yourself with an uncontrollable urge to head-bang nonstop until you develop a case of Whiplash (lol). Seriously, this album is heavy and filled with pure, raw energy. I find it hard to put this album down even after several listens in a single day. It's just that damn fuckin' good.

Highlight Tracks - Holy Wars, Take No Prisoners, Rust in Peace...Polaris

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

OBJECTIVITY has a new name and it is:

Lateraluss88

or something.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2011, 12:30:11 PM »
 :lol I'm flattered.

Blackwater Park is (almost) 30 places too low.
Nope. There are 30 more albums that I love even more. You'll see.

Also I hope that you guys who are checking out some of the albums I am posting report back to me via PM or at least in this thread on what you think. I love hearing peoples thoughts on music I have convinced them to try out.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2011, 12:34:29 PM »
I can't wait for Morningrise to show up on the list so I can flame you for it.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2011, 12:35:20 PM »
 ::)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2011, 01:35:41 PM »
Blackwater Park and Morningrise are both awesome. smd world