Author Topic: Lateralus88's Top 50 Albums v. Objectively correct list  (Read 49237 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lateralus88's Top 50 Albums v. Objectively correct list
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 04:58:50 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Kosmo

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2011, 04:59:56 AM »
 :lol

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2011, 05:13:15 AM »
Great picks with Rush and Wintersun!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2011, 07:23:55 AM »
Sorry I wasn't the biggest fan of wintersun.  But at least you have Rush on the list.  :)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2011, 11:33:05 AM »
Sorry I wasn't the biggest fan of wintersun.  But at least you have Rush on the list.  :)
I was expecting a snarky comment about how it's fake kvlt for using the snow theme like a lot of black metal does. You're killin' me here, mang.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2011, 11:36:06 AM »
Demon Days, nice pick!

*Waits for their self-titled*
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 02:02:51 PM »
That Wintersun album is absolute magic.

QFT

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 04:28:32 PM »
I was expecting a snarky comment about how it's fake kvlt for using the snow theme like a lot of black metal does. You're killin' me here, mang.

I figured you already knew that.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 05:34:31 PM »
Update time dawg.

41. Hellbilly Deluxe by Rob Zombie

This album, at least from 5th grade through middle school, practically defined my childhood. The heart pounding, heavy industrial-esque sound, the themes of terror and evil, and Zombie's absolutely unique voice all come together to form something of the likes I had never heard before upon first really discovering. As a whole, this album just comes off as really fuckin' cool. The music throughout is rather heavy. Not so much on the same level as his first band White Zombie, but enough to where it feels he retained that signature sound with his own mix of style. It also helps that I have seen almost all of the songs off of this album live twice, because Rob Zombie really knows how to put on an astounding show that leaves you wanting more. His stage presence and the shows as a whole just added much respect for what an album like Hellbilly Deluxe is trying to accomplish. Being a borderline hypnotic metal album filled to the brim with horror elements. And man does it work.

Highlight Tracks - Superbeast, Demonoid Phenomenon, What Lurks on Channel X?

40. Good News for People Who Love Bad News by Modest Mouse

And now for something completely different. Something a bit more...honest and simple. This album was my first introduction way back when to bands like Modest Mouse, and it took many of those years to really grow on me the way it did. It wasn't until about 3 years ago that I really began to appreciate what this album was all about. And after a while it really began to strike a real chord with me every time I heard it. The music throughout is very...true to life I'd say. The way it spreads feelings of apathy and positivity is actually a bit odd at first, but it really does go very well together. I've also never loved an album more for driving on the open road on a sunny day than Good News. It just works so perfectly, and is so easy to find yourself singing along to with a car full of people.

Highlight Tracks - The World at Large, Ocean Breathes Salty, Bukowski

39. Light of Day, Day of Darkness by Green Carnation

Alright, now time for something truly dark. For those not already familiar with this masterpiece of an album, LoDDoD is an album that consists of just one track that clocks in at just over an hour long. The albumsong has a bit of a concept to go along with it, but that all comes down to interpretation. The overall idea is a man wishes to change the world in his own image (in an almost godlike fashion). And let me tell you once again, this albumsong is fucking DARK. The lyrics are shrouded by a sense of hopelessness (and yet are about finding new hope), the vocal performances are rather drone sounding (with a few growls in the mix here and there), and the instrumentation is very heavy, loud and drenched in distortion. From the minute this song starts up, be prepared for a long musical journey. It's a good trip, I promise you. But it does take some determination to sit through the entire thing (especially at the thirty minute mark, which gets a bit weird for a few minutes). I definitely also have to add this might be on my favourite albums/songs lyrically. The level of doom and dreariness works so well on so many levels. It's simple, if you ask me, perfection.

Highlight Tracks - lol

Kosmo

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2011, 05:42:20 PM »
Love dat Zombie album
Haven't heard mouse
Interested in Green Carnation

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2011, 08:03:18 PM »
Good stuff. Not too fond of Modest Mouse, but I get why people like them.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2011, 09:00:30 PM »
Solid update!

Offline Tripp

• "Just because I OD'ed doesn't mean I do drugs"
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2011, 11:49:35 PM »
Highlight Tracks - lol

I died of laughter.

Good update, will follow, etc, etc.
hi

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2011, 01:57:11 AM »
Modest Mouse!  :tup

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2011, 11:48:37 AM »
Oh sweet Satan the moon is killing itself becavse of yovr horrible vnkvlt taste in mvsic.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2011, 12:05:55 PM »
Did not expect Modest Mouse on this list.  My favorite band, and Good News is absolutely fantastic.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2011, 12:07:18 PM »
Wintersun: :tup

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2011, 02:38:43 PM »
38. Killers by Iron Maiden

You know, over the years I've heard so many different mixed feelings about Maiden's Paul Diano era. Some love the self titled, but not so much killers; others love Killers and not the self titled; some love both equally; etc. I'm on the side of "Both are great albums but Killers is much more solid if you ask me". This was actually the second full Iron Maiden I had ever heard, waaaaaay back when I was but a wee lad in elementary school. This album fuckin' rocks so hard on so many levels. Songs like Killers and Wrathchild have such awesome riffs and sweet bass grooves that always put me in a great mood when giving this album a listen. Definitely not Maiden's all time best work, but definitely one of their most solid records to date.

Highlight Tracks - Wrathchild, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Killers

37. Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

I'll never forget the first time I heard this album. I was lying in bed at my grandparents house in Arizona during Winter break, trying to find something to help me sleep (depression ftl). I remember getting Wish You Were Here from a friend of mine telling me "Trust me, it's fucking good". The album title kind of just...spoke to me at the time. So I pressed play, put my headphones on and just relaxed myself to the music. I'll never forgot how soothing the intro it Crazy Diamond was that first time, and how much I still love that song to this day. Or how Wish You Were Here literally brought me to a soft state of melancholy and a tear to my eye. The music on this album is some of the most beautiful I have ever heard, and will always stick with me on this level. There are so many other great Pink Floyd releases, but none that hit me on quite the same emotional level that Wish You Were Here does.

Highlight Tracks - Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Wish You Were Here, Welcome to the Machine

36. Rust in Peace by Megadeth

Speaking of albums that are practically flawless on so many different degrees, here's a thrash metal classic that shall no doubt be passed down from generation to generation as one of the greatest achievements in the world of metal. This album IS Megadeth. It is the album that for years to come, Dave Mustaine has wanted to emulate but can't quite get down again. There isn't a single weak moment to be found on this album. From the second that kickass opening riff during Holy Wars starts up, all the way until the last couple of seconds of the title track, you may find yourself with an uncontrollable urge to head-bang nonstop until you develop a case of Whiplash (lol). Seriously, this album is heavy and filled with pure, raw energy. I find it hard to put this album down even after several listens in a single day. It's just that damn fuckin' good.

Highlight Tracks - Holy Wars, Take No Prisoners, Rust in Peace...Polaris

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2011, 02:48:02 PM »
Super cool list so far!!! WYWH is one hell of an album and Iron Maiden is pretty cool! :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2011, 02:50:17 PM »
I sorta prefer Maiden's self-titled over Killers, but the latter is pretty good as well. (The fact that it has the song Killers alone makes it great)
But for me, the self-titled album is a bit higher, with songs like Phantom of the Opera, Remember Tomorrow and Iron Maiden.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2011, 02:52:40 PM »
Call me weird, but Remember Tomorrow did absolutely nothing for me until I heard the Opeth cover (which I prefer, honestly).

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2011, 02:59:11 PM »
Fake voice:

Paul D'Anno is fake and gay, David Gilmovr shovld pvt some fvcking distortion on his gvitar, and Dave Mvstaine is fake and gay becavse fvck God yov Christian fvck I will bvrn yovr hovse down.

Real voice:

Excellent choices on WYWH and Rust in Peace.  Two of my faves as well.  I never liked Paul Di'Anno though.  Bruce sounds better on all of those old songs.  Killers has a bunch of great stuff, and if Bruce was singing it might be near the top of my Maiden rankings. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2011, 03:05:50 PM »
For some reason, I never got into Megadeath.  Agree with Matt on the Killers comments. WYWH = gold.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2011, 03:20:44 PM »
Killers is a brilliant album, as are the others. I feel like the pre-Bruce Maiden doesn't get enough love.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2011, 03:32:22 PM »
Very nice list so far.

Planetary Duality I could never get into, but WYWH, Rust in Peace and LODDOD are all awesome albums!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2011, 07:14:27 PM »
Killers is one of my least fave Maiden albums, but its still not a bad choice. A very nice update! WYWH and RIP rule!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2011, 11:57:07 PM »
Haven't posted yet but I've been following.

Awesome picks so far, Alex.

except for fucking Modest Mouse, gross
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2011, 12:33:42 AM »
except for fucking Modest Mouse, gross

fuck you you fucking fuck

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2011, 12:40:25 AM »
:heart :-* :heart
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2011, 07:41:51 AM »
Nice update. Killers is not my favorite but still a good album. Wishi you Were Here is a masterpiece of all times and that Megadeth album is the only one I like.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2011, 01:46:54 PM »
LODDAD could possibly be in my top 10 albums of all time.  I love your write up on it, you gave it the credit it deserves.  It is simply unique, powerful, hypnotic, dark and I've never struggled to listen to the whole thing.  It's just that well crafted.  The other thing that impresses me is that it is in fact one song, not multiple tracks tacked together.  To achieve this in the way they did without it getting boring or the song dragging is just perfect.  In fact, I'm listening to it right now.  Also the guitar solo is absolutely epic.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2011, 02:55:10 PM »
35. Alive in Athens by Iced Earth

Yes, yes I know. This is a live album. But before you go telling me that this doesn't count, let me start off by saying shut your whore mouth this live album is fucking awesome as all fuck. Probably one of my favourite live albums of all time. The sheer amount of energy given off by the band is absolutely astonishing. Alive in Athens gives you a good taste of what Iced Earth is like both live, and a good trip through their entire discog before Horror Show was released and before Barlow had quit the band (3 whole discs, man). The heavy sound of the guitars on this recording and the sound of Matt Barlow's voice in a live setting is so god damn cool sounding. Sure, there was a bit of dubbing in the studio, but that really doesn't stop me from turning on Pure Evil on the first disc and rocking the fuck out. Iced Earth get a lot of crap for always writing the same riffs every album or for being labeled as standard power metal bullshit. But man, this live album is fucking heavy, and even thrashy at times. Plus, it has a live performance of A Question of Heaven on it. Which is one of the most powerful sounding live performances I can think of. So heavy sound, yeah.

Highlight Tracks - Burning Times, A Question of Heaven, Pure Evil, Desert Rain, Dante's Inferno

34. Leave a Whisper by Shinedown

Okay, once again time for something a little different. Shinedown are a band that I have been listening to since their debut, Leave A Whisper first dropped. Ever since that album, they have remained one of the most consistent hard rock bands in mainstream media to date. It's actually really hard for me to pick a single album of theirs, seeing how they are all so god damn good, but I had to pick Leave a Whisper if not purely for it being one of my favourite albums in middle school. The album is a very melancholic piece of work, often focusing on some rather sad (and sometimes angsty) topics. But there is always this undertone of positivity lurking in the tracks on this album. Especially on the song .45, which comes off as a suicide letter but is actually conveying a message of hope and looking forward. Also, Brent Smith. The man's voice is absolutely astounding. Easily one of the best hard rock singers you will hear play on the radio. It's almost unbelievable to see such talent make it so big, with the way mainstream music is operating today. And I will always be grateful that a voice such as his has reached so many people.

Highlight Tracks - Fly From The Inside, Burning Bright, .45

33. Hell Awaits by Slayer

I'm positive I'll get the obligatory "lolslayer" or "Slayer sucks" posts because of this entry, but whatever haters gonna hate. Hell Awaits is a fuckin' brutal album, and easily one of the best Slayer has ever and will ever release. It's definitely the most evil sounding record the band has recorded, both in music/vocal performances and in the production quality itself. The album itself sounds as if it were recorded in a cave within the deepest, darkest pits of hell. As if it were made out of pure, uncontrollable evil. Which was what sparked my interest upon first listen. At first it worried me a bit, because Show No Mercy's production is what keeps me from wanting to listen to it to this day. But this album is one of those rare times where low production works out really well (like in a lot of black metal as well). Coupled with the production quality, you have some of the coolest vocal sound that Tom Araya has recorded. Along with this standard vocal style, you get some of his old signature high notes that he can't come close to performing today, and you get moments that simply give me chills down my spine (At Dawn They Sleep; The hellspawn need to KILL, KILL, KILL, KILL, KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLL). This album is also filled with some of Slayer's most memorable and best material. It sticks with me much more than a lot of their later material. This is one of two perfect Slayer albums, but we (might) talk about that a little bit later into this countdown.

Highlight Tracks - Hell Awaits, At Dawn They Sleep, Praise of Death

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2011, 02:58:22 PM »
Live albums don't cou--

But before you go telling me that this doesn't count, let me start off by saying shut your whore mouth this live album is fucking awesome as all fuck.