Author Topic: Any simple/free programs that allow you to plug guitar into computer?  (Read 814 times)

Offline Kornflake

I'm just looking for something that would allow me to plug into my microphone input on my laptop.  Nothing too fancy.  Kind of like those iPhone programs that give you a few effects and things to practice with.
I have been doing a lot of traveling lately and just want to plug into my laptop and jam around a bit.  I'm not looking for amazing sound quality or recording or anything. Just something simple and cheap...or free.
Does such a program exist?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Any simple/free programs that allow you to plug guitar into computer?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 11:34:37 PM »
The one I use isn't free (I use Amplitube), although there seem to be some free VST guitar amp sims around.
Any you find will most likely going to be VST plugins. If you're not familiar with them, they're a type of standard plugin that require a host program to run them in. Not sure how well these will run on a standard laptop soundcard, but you don't know until you try. A simple free one I use is called VSTHost, which I think would do the trick. Then search the Google for something like "free guitar amp vst".

Here was one of the first results to pop up. Check out some of these. I haven't tried any of them myself though.
https://freemusicsoftware.org/category/free-vst-effects-2/amp-simulators

Not sure if there are any completely standalone solutions, but this would probably be your best bet.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kornflake

Re: Any simple/free programs that allow you to plug guitar into computer?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 09:45:36 PM »
Awesome.  Thanks a lot BlobVanDam
I'll check it out.  I appreciate the help.