Author Topic: Most "iconic" CURRENT coaches in professional sports  (Read 1453 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Most "iconic" CURRENT coaches in professional sports
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2023, 07:45:00 AM »
Not to derail your thread, bosk, and if you want to shut this question down it's fine, but I'm curious: people from Europe/UK reading this thread, have you heard of any of the people bosk/pg1067 mentioned above? I haven't heard about anyone you guys mentioned (naturally) and I'm genuinely curious if these people are well-known outside of the US.

From the UK.  Can honestly say I've never heard of any of those people on the first post.  I did follow the NFL in the early 90's - the only names I really remember were mostly Quarterbacks - Elway, Montana, Marino, Dave Krieg and Jerry Rice who was a catcher.   Basketball again I know some big name players Jordan, Bird, Magic, Shaq, Bryant etc....but couldn't name a coach.   Baseball ermmm....no idea - Babe Ruth? That's it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2023, 10:31:49 AM »
Not to derail your thread, bosk, and if you want to shut this question down it's fine, but I'm curious: people from Europe/UK reading this thread, have you heard of any of the people bosk/pg1067 mentioned above? I haven't heard about anyone you guys mentioned (naturally) and I'm genuinely curious if these people are well-known outside of the US.

From the UK.  Can honestly say I've never heard of any of those people on the first post.  I did follow the NFL in the early 90's - the only names I really remember were mostly Quarterbacks - Elway, Montana, Marino, Dave Krieg and Jerry Rice who was a catcher.   Basketball again I know some big name players Jordan, Bird, Magic, Shaq, Bryant etc....but couldn't name a coach.   Baseball ermmm....no idea - Babe Ruth? That's it.

This might be the most out-of-place name in any list ever.  Every other person you mentioned is not only a HOF'er, but they're in the upper echelon.  Krieg not only isn't an HOF'er, I'm not sure he'd make the Hall of Very Good.  Of course, you remember whom you remember; it's just amusing to see that name among a bunch of legends.   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2023, 10:33:02 AM »

This might be the most out-of-place name in any list ever.  Every other person you mentioned is not only a HOF'er, but they're in the upper echelon.  Krieg not only isn't an HOF'er, I'm not sure he'd make the Hall of Very Good.  Of course, you remember, whom you remember; it's just amusing to see that name among a bunch of legends.   :lol

(I thought the same thing.)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2023, 11:13:17 AM »
I'd say the Dallas Cowboy's coach is the most iconic given its understated, yet instantly recognizable exterior combined with opulent interior design.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2023, 11:32:56 AM »
I'd say the Dallas Cowboy's coach is the most iconic given its understated, yet instantly recognizable exterior combined with opulent interior design.

HAHAHAHA!  Winner.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2023, 01:28:25 PM »
Well played!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2023, 09:08:04 AM »

This might be the most out-of-place name in any list ever.  Every other person you mentioned is not only a HOF'er, but they're in the upper echelon.  Krieg not only isn't an HOF'er, I'm not sure he'd make the Hall of Very Good.  Of course, you remember whom you remember; it's just amusing to see that name among a bunch of legends.   :lol

Ha!  The reason I remember him is I chose the Seahawks as my team and he was the Quarterback for them at that time.  I still say the Seahawks are my team, even though i've not watched any American Football for probably 30+ years - although I do know they did manage to win a Superbowl fairly recently!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 09:18:42 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2023, 08:02:12 PM »

Ha!  The reason I remember him is I chose the Seahawks as my team and he was the Quarterback for them at that time.  I still say the Seahawks are my team, even though i've not watched any American Football for probably 30+ years - although I do know they did manage to win a Superbowl fairly recently!

As someone who grew up watching Kreig here in WA, i got a chuckle out of this myself. We knew we didn't have a Marino/Kelly/Elway level QB, but Kreig always tried hard and seemed like a good guy and solid leader. It is a little weird to see his stats in 2023. He is 21st in career TDs and 26th in career passing yards. He is also 3rd in fumbles, as we all knew up here he had small hands (guys with small hands har, har...)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2023, 08:39:29 PM »
“Stop talking about what you’re gonna do, stop talking about what you hope happens and what happened last year and how you felt,” Auriemma told reporters at his annual Geno For The Kids charity golf event. “Now that you put that out there, that’s it. It’s over with, it’s done with. Everybody knows, ‘Hey what’s your goal at Connecticut?’ What do you think it is at Connecticut? The goal is to win a national championship every year. Everybody knows it, you don’t have to talk about it.”

“It’s more important what we see every day, not what we hear,” Auriemma said. “This isn’t a 1970s rock band out for their 60th tour and they have to give every tour a name. “Everybody’s got ‘redeem team’ and everybody’s got ‘reload team’ and everybody’s got ‘unfinished business team’ and everybody’s got all this stuff going out there.

“Maybe we’re not very social media savvy. How about we just shut the f–k up and win games? How about we just do that? Maybe that’s what the tour should be. Shut the f–k up and win games.”

That may be the greatest thing a coach has ever said. And it was totally off the cuff; all he wants to do is hit the links but knows he has to put up with these idiot reporters for the benefit of his charity event.   
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'