Author Topic: Advertisement linking heavy drinking and rape gets pulled  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Advertisement linking heavy drinking and rape gets pulled
« on: December 09, 2011, 11:15:10 AM »
The PA Liquor Control Board recently had released an ad designed to advocate responsible drinking.  It was a particularly shocking ad, of a woman's legs on a bathroom floor with panties around her ankles.  The biggest part of the ad says "She didn't want to do it, but she couldn't say no."  The LCB's point, clearly, was to push for responsibility in not willfully putting yourself in a situation where something bad may happen to you, like say walking through compton with $100 bills taped all over you.  If you get mugged, no, it is NOT your fault, but you could have taken factors to avoid it.  This is their premise, which I see and understand - if you drink responsibly, then you are less likely to find yourself in a situation where your judgement and defenses are compromised.  Opponents say it is blaming the victim.  Here's the article on it:

Article

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- An ad meant to warn young adults about the links between heavy drinking and rape has been pulled by Pennsylvania's Liquor Control Board.

Critics said it was another example of suggesting victims are to blame for rape.

The ad featured an image of a woman's legs on a bathroom floor with her underwear pulled down to her ankles, and the words: "She didn't want to do it, but she couldn't say no."

Stacey Witalec, a spokeswoman for the Liquor Control Board, said the online ad was part of a broader campaign that began a few months ago on the website ControlTonight.com. She said there was both criticism and support for the ad, but the board decided to pull it Wednesday evening.

Witalec said the campaign was trying to bring attention to a serious problem, not suggest rape victims are to blame.

"On an annual basis more than 97,000 people between the ages of 18 and 24 are the victims of alcohol-fueled sexual assaults," Witalec said, "and those statistics are staggering."

One expert defended the ad.

Jennifer Storm, Executive Director of the Victim/Witness Assistance Program in Harrisburg, noted that one sequence in the interactive ad stated very clearly that rape isn't the victim's fault.

"I feel strongly that we need to be having very frank conversations about prevention. Otherwise, all we're doing is intervening after the fact," Storm said.

"Alcohol is the number one drug used to facilitate rape. You lose your capacity to make sound decisions," Storm said, adding that "we need to empower people with every tool and piece of knowledge we have."

One blogger on the website Jezebel didn't agree.

"Rape is not just a bad thing that happens to someone after drinking too much," wrote Erin Gloria Ryan. "It's a deliberate act on the part of the rapist, a violation of another person committed solely because the rapist wanted to rape. The sooner we acknowledge this, the sooner we'll be rid of stupid, finger wagging ads like these."

Ryan also said that the portion of the ad reading "See what could happen when your friends drink too much" was "just shifting blame away from the rapist and onto the victim and, oddly, the victim's friends."

Several other ads in the campaign warning about the dangers of heavy drinking are still being used. Those subjects include excessive drinking and alcohol poisoning, drunk driving, and drunken arguments.

The ad is shown in a smaller version at the above link.  Here is a fuller sized version of the ad, so you can read the smaller print.  While there is no nudity, the ad should be considered questionable for work.

Link to larger version

So I was curious what anybody may think about this.  I read some comments elsewhere, where plenty of people agreed that if you drink to the point that you are not fully in cotrol of your own self, then you assume a small amount of risk that you are putting yourself in a less than safe situation.  Then there are those that promptly jump on and say they're blaming the victim by suggesting that a slight amount of personal responsibility (not getting black out drunk), could have helped someone avoid a situation like this.  Being particular about the situations you put yourself in will not always save you from something bad happening, but I would think it certainly can help in most instances.

If the mods feel this is inappropriate, then I sincerely apologize.  Just curious on peoples' thoughts on the matter.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
Re: Advertisement linking heavy drinking and rape gets pulled
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 11:31:12 AM »
"suggesting that a slight amount of personal responsibility (not getting black out drunk), could have helped someone avoid a situation like this" But that's perfectly true! Of course it's not a woman's fault if she's raped while too drunk to fight back, it's always the rapists fault. But it makes so much sense not to try and increase the odds of that happening. Why do avoidable stuff like walk home alone in the dark, drink so much you're not in control of yourself anymore? I think a lot of people have experiences where they went out drinking hard and ended up in a really bad situation, a friend of mine recently got raped while near black-out drunk and was too drunk to push him off. I've had my drink spiked before by a much older guy taking advantage. I've been 'molested' as a 14 year old by an adult barman taking opportunity to get some kicks while I drifted in and out of sleep. It should never happen but it does. It's stupid to put yourself at risk unecessarily.

But it's all part of a bigger culture of dangerous drinking, going out to get smashed instead of to talk to your friends and have fun. I drank so much aged 14-19 and looking back I did some really, really foolish things that luckily had no real consequences. I guess the people condemning the ad are similarr to the people behind slutwalk.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 06:41:53 PM »
I can definitely see both sides here and not sure which one I agree with, if either. On one hand I am against censorship and the ad makes good points, but I also think it could have been phrased better. As one of the quotes in the OP implies, rape is really a separate issue from drinking... but it gets sticky when both parties are drunk. I guess that's sort of a different discussion, though.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 06:54:09 PM »
I see both sides but agree with the ad, as I'm guessing it's targeted at men who have sex with women when they're not able to say no, which is the mans fault for being a piece of shit.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 06:56:50 PM »
Can't help but think you're talking about a situation that is completely easily avoidable by the lady.
Fuckin Alcohol.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 05:59:28 AM »
I don't see it as blaming the victim.  I see it as empowering and educating the victim in order to prevent them from becoming the victim.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 09:45:27 AM »
I don't see it as blaming the victim.  I see it as empowering and educating the victim in order to prevent them from becoming the victim.
This. I don't see why people would take it as blaming the victim.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 11:12:43 AM »
Any time someone suggests "Hey, not getting black out drunk might have helped you avoid that situation", people like to call that blaming the victim and say you were suggesting it was partially her fault.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 11:46:49 AM »
Any time someone suggests "Hey, not getting black out drunk might have helped you avoid that situation", people like to call that blaming the victim and say you were suggesting it was partially her fault.

I've browsed some feminist blogs. They have a tendency to do this, I've noticed. Suggest taking some personal responsibility to avoid such situations? Get told you're blaming the victim for rape.

Then they'll tell you the story of some woman who got beaten and violently raped for no reason, and how it ruined her life. And that's why you should never blame the victim.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 01:58:28 PM »
Yeah and that those situations aren't the same as some chick who drank too much and put herself in a dangerous situation that could possibly have been avoided.  It's all the same to people like that.  It does not excuse what happened in any way.  But it could possibly have been avoided.

And God forbid you ever share with those people the story of yours where you know someone who woke up the next morning, remembers being drunk and fucking some guy, feeling bad about it and deciding "Hey, I'll just say he raped me!"  So, so very evil.  But it happens more then people realize.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 02:05:25 PM »
Thisthisthisthisthisthis so hard.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 02:18:40 PM »