Author Topic: e-cigarette bans  (Read 1661 times)

Offline William Wallace

e-cigarette bans
« on: December 08, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »
Despite the best efforts of anti-smoking advocates to educate, tax, and ban tobacco users out of their habit, millions of people continue to smoke and 400,000 of them die each year in the U.S. as a result. Such statistics may lead you to think that any safe smoking alternative would be cheered by public health advocates — and you'd be wrong. Enter e-cigarettes ( or “e-cigs”).

These amazing little devices mimic the look, feel and taste of traditional cigarettes, and deliver the dose of nicotine a smoker craves without most of the 10,000 chemicals contained within cigarettes. That means we have a way to save thousands of lives and the anti-smoking lobby is standing in the way without a shred of evidence in support.
https://www.policymic.com/articles/2773/e-cigarette-bans-are-absurd/stream

Full disclosure: I wrote that article. Thoughts?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: e-cigarette bans
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »
Yeah I agree with you.  I don't see the problem with them.  I mean, if we are going to allow regular cigarettes, why wouldn't you allow a safer alternative to cigarettes?  It just makes no sense to ban the safer one and not the more dangerous, more unhealthy one.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 03:18:42 PM »
The bans stem from worries similar to those of fake pot.  It's not controlled(or are they now, I've been out of the loop for a couple of years), so while what's out there might be safe, the worry is nobody can tell you when one of them actually is nasty for you in ways not related to cigarettes. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 04:01:26 PM »
I don't get it.  Who's behind the bans?  Are there bans other places than Mass and Australia? 

Anyhoo,  this is one where I'm in complete agreement with you, Braveheart.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 04:29:16 PM »
I don't get it.  Who's behind the bans?  Are there bans other places than Mass and Australia? 

Anyhoo,  this is one where I'm in complete agreement with you, Braveheart.

Florida has also banned them in public places, I believe. There's also a lot of anti-tobacco pushing for harsher restrictions on them. That's highly lame. I've completely quit smoking with mine.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 05:04:44 PM »
I suppose their concern is that people who don't smoke cigarettes will get themselves addicted to nicotine via these things.  I don't see it happening, though.  For one thing,  nicotine doesn't pack anywhere near enough of a buzz for recreational usage.  Another thing,  people start smoking cigarettes to look cool.  Nobody's going to look cool with a fake cig.  I really see these as only being of interest to smokers who want something safer.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 05:47:02 PM »
There is no logic whatsoever to banning those but not real cigs.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 06:11:02 PM »
I went to the steelers/pats game about a month ago and bought one of these before the game because I knew there was no way that I would be able to sneak a smoke anywhere inside the stadium. It got me through the game and none of the people that sat around me seemed to mind at all. If something like this is unobtrusive then it shouldn't be anyone's business.

Why do we need to have a war on everything in this country? Why do people feel the need to be up in everybody else's shit all the time? I don't get it.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 07:44:07 PM »
I believe Barto, rightly mind you, calls it the pussification of America.  At least I'm pretty sure he's said that before.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 10:57:49 PM »
As ghey as they are, yeah, they should not be banned. I totally agree that the anti-cig lobby goes overboard on that one.
Just like cigs they should be banned for minors though, but I would think that is out of the question here.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 11:11:32 PM »
I consider myself very anti-cigarette, and I find this ban quite ridiculous. Shall we ban nicotine gum while we're at it? All the cool kids like gum, right?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 08:20:06 AM »
Nicotine gum is pharmaceutical in the US, e-cigs are not.  Attempts to regulate e-cigs and make the subject to similar control have failed(last I knew anyways).  The concerns in the government are about safety control, not nicotine hate.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 08:27:32 AM »
I used them when I was trying to quit the real ones... it worked very well... so that tells you right there why THEY want them banned. ;)

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 10:44:30 AM »
I used them when I was trying to quit the real ones... it worked very well... so that tells you right there why THEY want them banned. ;)
It's funny to read the health mullahs' comments on the article. It's almost like the read the title, skip the substance of the article and post about how evil I am for encouraging nicotine addiction in children.  :lol