Author Topic: Titanic  (Read 13656 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Titanic
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 10:40:02 AM »
*Duplicate post. Please disregard. *
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:45:56 AM by Chino »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »
I bought two tickets to see Titanic in Imaxx 3D for April 6th. I'm excited. The collectors edition to be released is going to have 29 scenes that didn't get used in the original cut.

Interesting comment by Cameron on the 3D conversion

I'm very much against conversion, for films that have a choice, but I do believe that there are some titles, think of your 10 or 20 favorite movies of all time, that I think should be converted to 3D, but it has to be done right. By the time we're finished, we'll have spent 60 weeks and about $18 million, working with 300 artists between two companies. It's an extremely labor-intensive process. I've got a team of three technical people within our company, who look at every image, several times over, and give notes based on what they know. They know their way around 3D very well, so they process it and bring it up to me in two or three or four-hour sessions, where I'm going through, frame by frame, multiple times, until the depth is worked out. Even then, it's not perfect. It's 2.99D, it's not really 3D. The point I'm trying to make is most conversions which are done in a hurry-up way in post-production, are 2.4D."

Honestly, I'm looking forward to seeing if anything was changed in the night sky after the ship sank.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson raging about it....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B6jSfRuptY

If you don't want to watch the video. Here it is in a nut shell.

Cameron puts so much detail into his movies. We know the exact location, time, and date of the sinking. We know what the sky should have looked like at that point in time. The sky was wrong, as well as being a mirror image of itself. He wrote Cameron an email about it and got no response. He ran into Cameron some years ago and asked if he ever got the email. Cameron said he did, but said that the scene was done in post production and was out of his hands. A few month later, one of Cameron's post production people called him up and said "Hey Dr. Tyson, James Cameron is rereleasing Titanic, and he says you have a sky we can use"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:50:51 AM by Chino »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 10:50:16 AM »
I like that he's honest about the fact that it's not true 100% 3D, and that he doesn't really think it's a good idea to convert the vast majority of films out there.  But still, no desire to see this.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 11:13:32 AM »
I never saw Titanic, and I have an interesting reason why. I worked at a place in s small, upscale mall, right next to a theater.  This was right around Christmas, and for two months straight, we got our asses handed to us, wave upon wave of annoying teenage girls.  This forced me into fogie protest mode, and I boycotted the shit.  I still have no desire to see it, just out of the need to stick to something in my life, however stupid and immature it might be.
:getoffmylawn: :tick:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
My friend Matt and I always joke that could make a good drinking game out of taking a shot every time Jack or Rose call each other by name in this film.  Despite them not interacting at all early in the movie, you'd still be drunk before they hit the iceberg. :lol :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2012, 02:00:10 PM »
Love when people care so little about something they go online to rage about how little they care.

James Cameron made Aliens, Terminator, Terminator 2, The Abyss, True Lies.

Simple story aside, Avatar is visually stunning and a spectacular ride and took FOUR YEARS to make - almost non-stop.

So yeah. Cameron hardly did *nothing* to get where he is.

I'd rather go see Avatar with it's derivative story with zoomed-out action shots than Transformers with it's non-existent plot and extreme close-ups during action so you have no idea what's going on.

This. I don't see what all the hub-bub is about. It's a fucking business. Bus. Nes. You use buses to make money. Duh. The man has certainly put in the time and apparently made millions of people flock to see it, in my book that's a win. I personally found Avatar to be a fun little adventure to get high to. That's about it, I'll never watch or think about it for longer than five minutes ever again; and that's okay because it did what it set out to accomplish, but I'm not going to get my brand-spanking new True Blood panties in a wad over the fact that he's broken the banks thanks to it, those fuckers are Kashmir, so fuck.

Either way, I really couldn't care less about any of it, but I came in here to say that time moves slow so tap the tempo, frozen on the string you broke. Titanic was nice in theaters back in the day with I think the very last 'family' outing to see a movie evar. It was really great to get to sit next to my dad as I hide my pre-pubescent boner and wiggly around uncomfortably as I imagine Winslet's boobs on my mast. MAN OVERBOARD, DON'T EVER LET GO BITCH.

My friend Matt and I always joke that could make a good drinking game out of taking a shot every time Jack or Rose call each other by name in this film.  Despite them not interacting at all early in the movie, you'd still be drunk before they hit the iceberg. :lol :lol

Oh and this, god this. It's awesome. I think I built my failed four-year relationship entirely off of how fast those two horn dogs 'fall stumble, blindly and drunkenly in love'. It's like they both forgot to do the whole highschool fling deal in highschool so now that they're in their mid-20's they both said "Hey, I had a pen and some paper and I'm on a sinking ship, so what the fuck."

Fuckin Camerons. Fuckin moneys. Fuckin zennys. Fuckin Giant's Wallets.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 02:29:37 PM »
Never seen Titanic and don't have any interest. Not going to hate on it though.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »
I'll hate on it if you guys need me to. It's an extremely poor film.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2012, 06:07:36 PM »

I'm sorry but this is rediculous. You could have not liked the movie, but it wasn't in anyway poor. I saw the God Father once, and have no desire to see it again. It just wasn't my cup of tea, but it wasn't a poor film by any means.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2012, 06:11:28 PM »
Titanic is getting rereleased in April and will be coinciding with the 100th year anniversary of the sinking. It's a completely justifiable rerelease. You may hate 3D, but many others including myself happen to love it. I love the Titanic (the actual Titanic and all its stories), so I am going to be all over this. Who cares if millions flock to the theaters! If people want to see this let them! Cameron is the Steve Jobs of movies and I have no problem with that.

Amen.

^ I'm in their club.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2012, 06:14:35 PM »

I'm sorry but this is rediculous. You could have not liked the movie, but it wasn't in anyway poor. I saw the God Father once, and have no desire to see it again. It just wasn't my cup of tea, but it wasn't a poor film by any means.

Yes, but Titanic is not The Godfather.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2012, 06:35:54 PM »

What was good about the film? The acting? Nope, this is probably Leo and Kate at their worst. The dialogue? Nay, it's flimsy and lame. The story? Nah, it's predictable. Kate Winslet's boob? I never found her particularly attractive.

The only thing that's truly good here is the special effects, but we've had this conversation before. Although good special effects can perfect a good film, they won't make up for it if everything else is bad.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2012, 07:23:34 PM »

What was good about the film? The acting? Nope, this is probably Leo and Kate at their worst. The dialogue? Nay, it's flimsy and lame. The story? Nah, it's predictable. Kate Winslet's boob? I never found her particularly attractive.

The only thing that's truly good here is the special effects, but we've had this conversation before. Although good special effects can perfect a good film, they won't make up for it if everything else is bad.

Their acting was just fine. Most of the ship was reconstructed and not presented with CGI. The story was too predictable? Really? Did you expect it not to sink? That's like going to see Pearl Harbor and being upset that the Japanese actually attacked.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2012, 07:24:32 PM »
Obviously I wasn't talking about the boat's sinking. That's not what the story was about. The story was predictable.

EDIT, A DAY LATER: It does appear, though, that I confused my definition of "special effects". I know the boat was largely physically recreated; I do still find it impressive, and the visual angle here, like in all of Cameron's films, is extremely well-done. Again, this doesn't make the film any more pleasant to watch.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 11:41:14 AM by theseoafs »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2012, 08:04:15 PM »
It's a really good movie.  The romantic angle was a little overdone, but it is still a well-told story, and Cameron did a great job in making the movie look big and epic.  I think the sequence where Billy Zane's character steals the gun from his man-servant and starts firing at Jack and Rose is utterly ridiculous, almost an overdone attempt to make the villain look even more villainous, but I can forgive a 1-minute segment in a 3-hour plus movie.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2012, 10:53:16 PM »
The movie was fine. Not amazing, not bad by any means. Yes, Leo is acting rather poorly here (like he has for the most part until he met Marty), but the other people acting were fine. Kate and Leo get the most press, but the movie had a TON of other important characters, many of which were very well acted. And the directing was incredible. Being able to tell a story of that scope and make sure its done well and evenly is rather freaking difficult. From the time the ship hit the ice berg till it finally sank was incredibly well done. There was a lot of emotion displayed, however very little of it was via Kate and Leo.

In summary, Titanic was a good film, with Kate and Leo being the poor element. However outside of the two lead characters, it was amazing. Recast them, or just get rid of their story and you got a good film.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2012, 10:46:20 AM »
I've never understood this thing where people criticize a movie for being "predictable". Yes, there are times when this is a fair criticism, but when you go to see a movie like Titanic, being predictable is not a bad thing. Sometimes trying to be unpredictable can actually be the worst thing to do.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2012, 10:48:08 AM »
^Agreed.

Most movies nowadays are predictable. That's how a lot of art works. That's how trends, movements, and styles work. They follow forms that everyone recognizes.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2012, 10:49:02 AM »
I've never understood this thing where people criticize a movie for being "predictable". Yes, there are times when this is a fair criticism, but when you go to see a movie like Titanic, being predictable is not a bad thing. Sometimes trying to be unpredictable can actually be the worst thing to do.

I had the same problem with The Passion of The Christ. Too obvious of an ending.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2012, 10:50:45 AM »

I had the same problem with The Passion of The Christ. Too obvious of an ending.
Even the main character knew the ending in true story...crazy.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2012, 09:26:09 AM »
https://www.contactmusic.com/news/cameron-changes-stars-in-titanic_1313376

Cameron tells British magazine Culture, "Oh, there is one shot that I fixed. It's because Neil deGrasse Tyson, who is one of the U.S.' leading astronomers, sent me quite a snarky email saying that, at that time of year, in that position in the Atlantic in 1912, when Rose is lying on the piece of driftwood and staring up at the stars, that is not the star field she would have seen, and with my reputation as a perfectionist, I should have known that and I should have put the right star field in.

"So I said, 'All right, you son of a b**ch, send me the right stars for the exact time, 4.20am on April 15, 1912, and I'll put it in the movie.' So that's the one shot that has been changed."

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
 :lol That is wonderful.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2012, 09:29:44 AM »
Haha, that is actually pretty funny.

Is he gonna change the name of the lake Jack used to go ice fishing in?  Ya know, the lake that didn't exist yet at the time.

Online WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2012, 12:27:14 PM »
I'm hopefully going to be seeing this today. Titanic is my second-favourite film of all time, so this is an absolute must-see for me.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2012, 12:43:34 PM »
I'm hopefully going to be seeing this today. Titanic is my second-favourite film of all time, so this is an absolute must-see for me.

I have to wait until Friday. I bought the tickets way in advance and got the best seat in the IMAXX 3D theater. I know they are the best because I had 6 showings of Avatar to experiment with.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2012, 12:44:23 PM »
Haven't been following this thread much, but I'll chime in to say the movie was pretty much everything it should have been. It was fun, entertaining, majestic, beautiful, moving. The love story was pretty weak but it didn't bother me as much as others. It could have been less pervasive.

Billy Zane, David Warner, Francis Fischer, and the rest of the film's guts (those outside the main stars)... all wonderful. James Horner composed beautiful music.

I hate to say it didn't deserve the best picture oscar, because, like William Munny said "deserve's got nothing to do with it." It was the right call for an awards show that celebrates film. But LA Confidential was still the better film that year.

And was a guy really so bent about the star field that he felt compelled to write Cameron about it?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2012, 12:48:24 PM »
If that were me, I'd send Neil DeGrasse Tyson his own personal screener copy where there's a constellation of stars promptly telling him to go fuck himself.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2012, 06:08:18 PM »
I like that he's honest about the fact that it's not true 100% 3D, and that he doesn't really think it's a good idea to convert the vast majority of films out there.  But still, no desire to see this.

I like Cameron for putting all that effort into his films. As he said " Sure, to save money I could have just painted actors blue ".

I also like the extensive Avatar making of where he says he "filmed" the entire movie virtually on a stage for a year to get all the best shots.

If Michael Bay or Jerry Bruckheimer had made Avatar - the CGI would have looked awful and there wouldn't even BE a plot.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2012, 09:45:58 PM »

Cameron decided to live the true American dream by making money without actually doing anything.

Yeah, because neither Titanic or Avatar required any hard work or talent to produce. Just thinking about the two movies made him filthy rich.

Titanic is getting rereleased in April and will be coinciding with the 100th year anniversary of the sinking. It's a completely justifiable rerelease. You may hate 3D, but many others including myself happen to love it. I love the Titanic (the actual Titanic and all its stories), so I am going to be all over this. Who cares if millions flock to the theaters! If people want to see this let them! Cameron is the Steve Jobs of movies and I have no problem with that.

I have so much I want to say, unfortunately I just woke up and need to get to school for a final.

I completely agree. I love Titanic, and the movie. So what it is a love story? I think it is done very well, and it will always hold a spot in my top 10 movies.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2012, 10:23:07 PM »
*shrugs*

Yeah...Either you buys a ticket, or you don't buys a ticket.

IMO, it's worth it.  For me, it has almost no replay value whatsoever, but I'm glad I saw it the first time.

I enjoyed it the first time I saw it. Great movie. Don't need to see it again, but I figure if theres any milk left in the cow, why not go for it? He's more into deep sea diving now than anything else. So long as he can make films that make money to fund his other endeavors, who cares really, as long as he's okay with it?

If you're an artist or creative type in the mainstream people seem to think you have to constantly top yourself, over and over again or your a worthless piece of poo. That's not true. Ask M. Night Shyamalan about this. People treat him with hate because he didn't top 6th Sense, that doesn't mean his other films weren't worthy of being seen, or produced for that matter.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
If that were me, I'd send Neil DeGrasse Tyson his own personal screener copy where there's a constellation of stars promptly telling him to go fuck himself.

It wasn't just a wrong sky, comapred to the rest of the movie, it was lazy. Cameron's selling point as how accurate everything in the movie. Then they just put a bunch of dots in random places in half the sky then mirrored them over to the other side.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2012, 09:38:40 AM »

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is 1000 times cooler than James Cameron will ever be. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2012, 09:53:57 AM »

It wasn't just a wrong sky, comapred to the rest of the movie, it was lazy. Cameron's selling point as how accurate everything in the movie. Then they just put a bunch of dots in random places in half the sky then mirrored them over to the other side.
Yeah, but the importance of that is shown by the fact that of all of the billions of people who have seen this film billions of times, only one super nerd caught it. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2012, 10:09:19 AM »
As in, the importance is so infinitesimally small that it is effectively zero?  :biggrin:

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2012, 11:13:55 AM »
You guys are probably right, but it doesn't change that

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is 1000 times cooler than James Cameron will ever be. 

And for those who don't know, it's this guy: