Author Topic: Titanic  (Read 13659 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Titanic
« on: December 08, 2011, 03:17:18 AM »
Copypasta from my blog.

Who better to rehash an old story and veil it in needless 3D? James Cameron, that's who. After the extremely successful release of Pocahontas Avatar, Cameron decided to live the true American dream by making money without actually doing anything. What I'm saying is this man has a considerable amount of cash for not having an original idea since True Lies (1994). And even that's a stretch, considering how original it is for Arnold Schwarzenegger to shoot lots of bad guys. Oh yeah, and True Lies is a remake. That puts his last piece of complete originality at 1991's Terminator 2. Yes, it's been 20 years since this man came up with something on his own.

So what's this bad news? As you may have heard by now, Titanic (now in 3D) will be re-released into theaters in 2012. The good news? Next year, Darwinism will prove itself true when re-enacting idiots start falling off boats again. I can guarantee you this: the theaters will be packed with teen girls who fancy Twilight-esque romances (read: no substance) and teen boys who have a chance to see Kate Winslet's boob in 3D. "But the 3D adds realism!" you might say. No, it doesn't. Dropping buckets of ice on the audience and then flooding the theater would add realism. I might even buy a ticket if the theater staff managed to pull that off.

Now, to be totally honest, Titanic isn't that bad. It's akin to any other typical disaster movie with a love story shoved down its throat (I'm looking at you, Pearl Harbor). However, does it need a re-release? I guess that's kind of like asking "Does Police Academy need another sequel?" If you answered yes to either question, you're a horrible person. Apparently, Cameron justifies it by saying the movie was made to look even clearer than the original during the restoration and conversion process, which may or may not entail turning DiCaprio and Winslet blue.

I guess it's only a matter of time before we find out if this 'sinking ship' is a metaphor for James Cameron's career.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:32:27 AM by MetalJunkie »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Titanic
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 03:20:20 AM »
*shrugs*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 03:23:31 AM »
You had me on side right up until "Kate Winslet's boobs in 3D", at which could I could see the artistic merit in this.

Just kidding. I'm with you entirely.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 03:29:49 AM »
Cameron is a puke.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Omega

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 04:47:20 AM »
Being a survivor from the Titanic, I must say that the film has a special place in my heart...
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 04:51:30 AM »
Being a survivor from the Titanic, I must say that the film has a special place in my heart...

Your heart will go on?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 05:42:12 AM »

Cameron decided to live the true American dream by making money without actually doing anything.

Yeah, because neither Titanic or Avatar required any hard work or talent to produce. Just thinking about the two movies made him filthy rich.

Titanic is getting rereleased in April and will be coinciding with the 100th year anniversary of the sinking. It's a completely justifiable rerelease. You may hate 3D, but many others including myself happen to love it. I love the Titanic (the actual Titanic and all its stories), so I am going to be all over this. Who cares if millions flock to the theaters! If people want to see this let them! Cameron is the Steve Jobs of movies and I have no problem with that.

I have so much I want to say, unfortunately I just woke up and need to get to school for a final.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 05:44:44 AM »
Titanic is getting rereleased in April and will be coinciding with the 100th year anniversary of the sinking. It's a completely justifiable rerelease. You may hate 3D, but many others including myself happen to love it. I love the Titanic (the actual Titanic and all its stories), so I am going to be all over this. Who cares if millions flock to the theaters! If people want to see this let them! Cameron is the Steve Jobs of movies and I have no problem with that.

Amen.

I never understand why people get fired up about things coming out that don't interest them... that's why there are, you know, other movies coming out too.

Offline Tripp

• "Just because I OD'ed doesn't mean I do drugs"
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 05:46:46 AM »
The man doesn't care, he'll do what ever he can to make more money. And this remake of course, will sell extremely well. Making an "original" movie with "original" ideas is fucking difficult, and if someone can take out the difficulty of making billion-dollar movies, why wouldn't they? Now, I don't support most of his ideas on what he does in regards to his films, but I wouldn't say his career is going down the drain at all.

And besides, Titanic is a good movie, with a good (albeit incredibly predictable) storyline.
hi

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 05:55:44 AM »
With all the money he has made he should've bought the rights to The Terminator and maybe we would've finally gotten a third, good, Terminator movie.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 06:10:18 AM »
The man doesn't care, he'll do what ever he can to make more money. And this remake of course, will sell extremely well. Making an "original" movie with "original" ideas is fucking difficult, and if someone can take out the difficulty of making billion-dollar movies, why wouldn't they? Now, I don't support most of his ideas on what he does in regards to his films, but I wouldn't say his career is going down the drain at all.

And besides, Titanic is a good movie, with a good (albeit incredibly predictable) storyline.

That man has put up his life savings to make a few movies.  He put his house, saving on the line to make a few movies.  I may not see it in 3D, but the guy can make whatever he wants.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 06:27:43 AM »
I own this shirt:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 06:32:10 AM »
Must be your drinking shirt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 06:48:26 AM »
I got it about 6-7 years ago.  It isn't capable of being my drinking shirt nowadays.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 06:51:56 AM »
I got it about 6-7 years ago.  It isn't capable of being my drinking shirt nowadays.  :lol

I have an XXL "Body by Ben & Jerry's" T-Shirt that doesn't fit me anymore. :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 07:51:30 AM »
I'm not really interested in a 3D version of this movie, although I count the original film among my all-time favorites.  I don't have any problem with James Cameron and why should I care if he wants to re-release one of his most successful films in a 3D version?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 08:07:29 AM »
Who better to rehash an old story and veil it in needless 3D? James Cameron, that's who. After the extremely successful release of Pocahontas Avatar, Cameron decided to live the true American dream by making money without actually doing anything. What I'm saying is this man has a considerable amount of cash for not having an original idea...

I have a real problem with this statement, and not because you are ripping on my favorite movie. You are pissed that he made an ass-ton of money off a movie that had a similar plot to Pacahontas. You are saying it wasn't an original idea, and are giving him shit for it. HELLO, Pochahontas wasn't original at all. The movie was made to reflect an event from our country's history. If anything, Avatar took more creativity because of all of the slight alterations to a story to make it something entirely new and unique that no one had ever seen before.

You're upset because Cameron didn't think of the concept of Titanic. Who the fuck cares. Are directors never suppose to make a movie based on a real event because it isn't something they thought up?

Tora Tora Tora
The Hindenburg
Escape From Alcatrez
Eight Men Out
61*
Schindler's List
The Passion of the Christ
Ali
Catch Me if You Can
The Aviator
Apollo 13

By your logic all of these movies should be considered shit and should never have been made because the ideas aren't original.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 08:41:34 AM by Chino »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 08:21:34 AM »
I gotta side with Cameron on this.  I have no interest in seeing Titanic again,  but I recognize that it was actually one helluva piece of film making.  If he wants to put it out again,  and there's no guarantee it'll make him much money,  then more power to him. 

And honestly,  Cameron's successes are great enough that if he wanted to release VHS tapes of him playing pong with his kids,  it's fine by me. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 08:24:32 AM »
Cameron decided to live the true American dream by making money without actually doing anything

https://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/stroheim/163/set10.jpg

Yeah... he did nothing alright, just rebuilt the ship to scale.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 08:37:01 AM »
Kate Winslet's boob will jump off the screen at you in glorious 3D.  Good enough reason to re-release in 3D, IMO.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
Cameron decided to live the true American dream by making money without actually doing anything

https://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/stroheim/163/set10.jpg

Yeah... he did nothing alright, just rebuilt the ship to scale.
Having recently watched The Making of The Abyss,  I've got no problem with him being filthy stinking rich. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 09:09:08 AM »
You guys are giving/not giving all this credit to Cameron.  As if he does everything for his movies. 
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 09:30:49 AM »
Regarding Cameron as a filmmaker, I don't care if he never had one original story idea for his films. Lots of filmmakers don't. Hitchcock, Kubrick, Eastwood... they don't come up with the ideas for their films. They take what others have created on the page and turn them in to something magical on the screen. That is a talent not many people have.

And LA Confidential is still waiting for Titanic to give it the Best Picture Oscar.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 09:34:35 AM »
I also don't get what the deal is with people getting bent out of shape about movies coming out that they don't like or filmmakers they don't like putting out or re-releasing movies.  You can always like, not see it?

That said, I've never seen Titanic.  Maybe I'll check it out this time.  Probably not though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 09:45:05 AM »
That said, I've never seen Titanic.  Maybe I'll check it out this time.  Probably not though.

IMO, it's worth it.  For me, it has almost no replay value whatsoever, but I'm glad I saw it the first time. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 09:53:06 AM »

And LA Confidential is still waiting for Titanic to give it the Best Picture Oscar.

Sorry, LA Confidential is my favorite movie of all time.  That being said Titanic was fantastic and could have won the Oscar that year.

Offline Omega

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »

Your heart will go on?

And on

:(
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 01:26:47 PM »
Who better to rehash an old story and veil it in needless 3D? James Cameron, that's who. After the extremely successful release of Pocahontas Avatar, Cameron decided to live the true American dream by making money without actually doing anything. What I'm saying is this man has a considerable amount of cash for not having an original idea...

I have a real problem with this statement, and not because you are ripping on my favorite movie. You are pissed that he made an ass-ton of money off a movie that had a similar plot to Pacahontas. You are saying it wasn't an original idea, and are giving him shit for it. HELLO, Pochahontas wasn't original at all. The movie was made to reflect an event from our country's history. If anything, Avatar took more creativity because of all of the slight alterations to a story to make it something entirely new and unique that no one had ever seen before.

You're upset because Cameron didn't think of the concept of Titanic. Who the fuck cares. Are directors never suppose to make a movie based on a real event because it isn't something they thought up?

Tora Tora Tora
The Hindenburg
Escape From Alcatrez
Eight Men Out
61*
Schindler's List
The Passion of the Christ
Ali
Catch Me if You Can
The Aviator
Apollo 13

By your logic all of these movies should be considered shit and should never have been made because the ideas aren't original.
Eh. It was an opinionated blog post. Key word: opinion. But, to be honest, I was looking forward to your response a little bit.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 01:29:02 PM »
Tora Tora Tora! is one the best movies ever made.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 01:40:19 PM »

Cameron decided to live the true American dream by making money without actually doing anything.

Yeah, because neither Titanic or Avatar required any hard work or talent to produce. Just thinking about the two movies made him filthy rich.

I have so much I want to say, unfortunately I just woke up and need to get to school for a final.
This, also the movie is great, I'll say it, it's great.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 01:46:46 PM »

Sorry, LA Confidential is my favorite movie of all time.  That being said Titanic was fantastic and could have won the Oscar that year.
You read that wrong. He's agreeing with you, Titanic did win best picture.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 01:54:28 PM »

You read that wrong. He's agreeing with you, Titanic did win best picture.

OH Crap!!  Your right!  Sorry!! :facepalm:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2011, 08:57:44 AM »
I went and saw Hugo in 3D last night. One of the previews was for Titanic in 3D. It looked absolutely stellar. Honestly, one of the best displays of 3D I think I have seen, possibly even better than Avatar. It didn't look gimmicky or cheap, it truly looked as though I was standing on/in the ship. I can't wait for it to come out.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »

IMO, it's worth it.  For me, it has almost no replay value whatsoever, but I'm glad I saw it the first time. 

Yeah, this. Although it's been so long since I have seen it that I want to see it again (last time I saw it I was like 11). I remember the plot and all that, but it is an experience to watch it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 01:28:07 PM »
Love when people care so little about something they go online to rage about how little they care.

James Cameron made Aliens, Terminator, Terminator 2, The Abyss, True Lies.

Simple story aside, Avatar is visually stunning and a spectacular ride and took FOUR YEARS to make - almost non-stop.

So yeah. Cameron hardly did *nothing* to get where he is.

I'd rather go see Avatar with it's derivative story with zoomed-out action shots than Transformers with it's non-existent plot and extreme close-ups during action so you have no idea what's going on.