Author Topic: MythBusters Cannonball Experiment Gone Wrong... Hits Houses  (Read 6670 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
MythBusters Cannonball Experiment Gone Wrong... Hits Houses
« on: December 07, 2011, 12:23:32 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Jj-CErr0VOY

:rollin

I'm glad no one was hurt. I would love to see footage of this leak!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: MythBusters Cannonball Experiment Gone Wrong... Hits Houses
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 12:32:22 PM »
Holy crap, that's like fifteen minutes from where I live.  I didn't know they filmed that shit out here.  That's a really populated area, I'm suprised they even do that out there.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 12:36:12 PM »
WTF??!! That's insane!
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »
lol

Wang
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 12:38:29 PM »
Wow. That's the end of that show. Hello million dollar lawsuits.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 12:39:58 PM »
That wasn't in the script!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 12:41:28 PM »

Easily, that is not a cheap area to live by a long shot.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »

I really hope not. I don't see how anyone affected will get a whole lot more than the cost to repair their homes. I'm sure Discovery has already cut some checks.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 12:47:21 PM »

I really hope not. I don't see how anyone affected will get a whole lot more than the cost to repair their homes. I'm sure Discovery has already cut some checks.
A person can sue for as much as they want but it's up to the judge or jury to decide what they actually get, and likely this will be quickly settled. The cost of repairs and a little extra for their trouble seems pretty reasonable to me.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 12:50:21 PM »
They really dropped the ball on that one.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 12:53:54 PM »
They really dropped the ball on that one.
:lol

Simple, yet effective.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 12:55:41 PM »

This, it's one of my favorite shows, and shit happens.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »

A person can sue for as much as they want but it's up to the judge or jury to decide what they actually get, and likely this will be quickly settled. The cost of repairs and a little extra for their trouble seems pretty reasonable to me.
I don't know much about law, but they fired a lethal weapon at a community.  A lawsuit would be about some kind of reckless endangerment, not property damage, right?  You fire a gun in the air and you can be in criminal trouble.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 01:02:54 PM »
I guarantee Discovery has better lawyers. They were testing at a police firing range and they set up multiple safety measures. Just because something still managed to go awry doesn't mean their method was reckless or negligent.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 01:07:11 PM »
Now they can test how litigious our nation has become :justjen
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 01:07:33 PM »
I guarantee Discovery has better lawyers. They were testing at a police firing range and they set up multiple safety measures. Just because something still managed to go awry doesn't mean their method was reckless or negligent.
I didn't say they were.  I asked if that's what any lawsuit or charge would be about.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 01:56:59 PM »
Glad nobody was hurt, that's so insane. Hopefully the people are fans of the show, would be a real shame if one bad cannonball in a decade ends one of the best shows on TV.

Also glad that Grant was already on the scene to report for the news.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 02:20:26 PM »
Glad nobody was hurt, that's so insane. Hopefully the people are fans of the show, would be a real shame if one bad cannonball in a decade ends one of the best shows on TV.

Also glad that Grant was already on the scene to report for the news.

Touché. Also, I'm pretty sure I've found Asian Waldo.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 02:29:49 PM »
I highly doubt this would end the show.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 02:43:06 PM »
I don't know much about law, but they fired a lethal weapon at a community.  A lawsuit would be about some kind of reckless endangerment, not property damage, right?  You fire a gun in the air and you can be in criminal trouble.

Doesn't matter because there is no harm or damage beyond the property damage.  Assuming the studio (or, more likely, its insurance carrier) pays for the property damage, there's nothing to sue for civilly, and there's nothing about what they did that was criminal.

EDIT:  And more on topic, since no one was hurt, I can say this:  That is hilarious!  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 02:49:38 PM »

EDIT:  And more on topic, since no one was hurt, I can say this:  That is hilarious!  :lol
It really is so crazy that you have to laugh about it. I mean, what other physical object goes through the wall of your house and you don't hear it?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 02:50:49 PM »
Not the first time they had problems with the "community". Apparently during one explosion they totally underestimated the resulting blast, with the effect that the neighboring town had their windows blown out.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 08:59:50 PM »
Not the first time they had problems with the "community". Apparently during one explosion they totally underestimated the resulting blast, with the effect that the neighboring town had their windows blown out.

rumborak

Yeah, they got banned from that county.

It really is so crazy that you have to laugh about it. I mean, what other physical object goes through the wall of your house and you don't hear it?

I want to know why they were both asleep in the middle of the day.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 09:26:12 PM »
Shooting a cannon ball threw my house and endangering my families lives would enrage me. I'd get a media blitz, then sue for millions. They at the very least have to move to a different, more desolate area. But ultimately, if this happens, you have to question the potential harm that could happen in the future. Didn't someone from the show die a year ago or so?

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 09:30:32 PM »
*through*
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 09:40:35 PM »
Didn't someone from the show die a year ago or so?
A guy who was a guest on the show fell off a house in a completely unrelated incident.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 09:41:41 PM »
Eh, shit happens. It's not like they were being negligent or anything.

Yeah, but it had nothing to do with the show.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 09:43:43 PM »
Shooting a cannon ball threw my house and endangering my families lives would enrage me. I'd get a media blitz, then sue for millions. They at the very least have to move to a different, more desolate area. But ultimately, if this happens, you have to question the potential harm that could happen in the future. Didn't someone from the show die a year ago or so?

Why do you deserve millions?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 09:43:49 PM »
Shooting a cannon ball threw my house and endangering my families lives would enrage me. I'd get a media blitz, then sue for millions.

Except it was a complete accident. You're acting like they were being malicious.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 09:43:57 PM »
*through*

Take it as a pun.

A guy who was a guest on the show fell off a house in a completely unrelated incident.

Fair enough. Couldn't remember the details.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 09:46:53 PM »

We'll see how you react if the day were to come. Now imagine it killed one of your kids.

Shooting a cannon ball threw my house and endangering my families lives would enrage me. I'd get a media blitz, then sue for millions.

Except it was a complete accident. You're acting like they were being malicious.

Obviously I know that wasn't there intent. But now that the possibility of a mistake that bad is capable of happening, it's damn scary to think of the damage that COULD be done. I'm sure they take measures of precaution, but as it clearly has been shown, their efforts are not enough.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 09:49:19 PM »
Would you sue someone for millions if they drove their car into your house and injured no one?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 09:51:03 PM »

We'll see how you react if the day were to come. Now imagine it killed one of your kids.

But no one got hurt or killed.... You can't get crazy amounts of cash on the basis of 'what if'. If a drunk driver demolished my car parked on the side of the road... I'd expect compensation for my car, not millions because there was the possibility that I could have been sitting in it at the time.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 10:07:20 PM »

Obviously I know that wasn't there intent. But now that the possibility of a mistake that bad is capable of happening, it's damn scary to think of the damage that COULD be done. I'm sure they take measures of precaution, but as it clearly has been shown, their efforts are not enough.

I agree wholeheartedly with the redded part. If the Mythbusters folks didn't have the feather in their cap of being a long-running, popular TV show, this (at least) second incident of needlessly endangering residential communities merely for the sake of making an entertainment-based TV show would've probably been met with swift and substantial consequences like arrests, etc. I like the show and have watched it numerous times but for how experienced and intelligent they describe Adam and Jamie as being during the opening segment of each show, it really looks bad when you have something like this happen (and even a tad worse considering the prior windows-blowing-out incident.)

It's ridiculous that some in this thread are acting like it's no big deal merely because no one got hurt and overlooking the fact that an airborne 10"-diameter cannonball shot with enough force to travel nearly a half-mile through the air careened through a densely-populated suburb where it easily could've killed/maimed dozens when you consider its initial impact did little to slow it down since it had enough momentum to make its way through someone's bedroom, bounce off the pavement and still (being that heavy of a projectile) make it back up to a rooftop and finally stop when hitting a minivan.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 10:16:18 PM »
Eh, some things you just can't plan for. There are tons of dangerous things that surround us every day. I'm still mighty indifferent considering it wasn't done maliciously.