0 (0%)
John Mellencamp - Scarecrow
0 (0%)
Sting - The Dream of the Blue Turtles
0 (0%)
OTHER
14 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Your Favorite Album from 1985  (Read 2776 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Your Favorite Album from 1985
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2023, 06:41:10 PM »

Anyway it doesn't surprise me from that list I was otherwise the lone voter for DIO Sacred Heart which while was not a record I discovered at that time has, along with the rest of the Dio catalogue become a staple of my own collection.  The more commercial of the Viv trilogy but for what I consider a rather quiet year in 85, Sacred Heart stood out, Rock N' Roll Children and Just Another Day for example  remain top10 tier DIO for this fan :metal

So, my experience in real time with Sacred Heart, it felt like such a let down. This was before internet obviously, but when it came out, I just felt something wasn't right.
I will also say that I have found that it has aged extremely well, and the live album from that tour is really good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2023, 07:24:32 PM »
Spreading the Disease, easily. Seminal album for me.  Marching out is easily second. JSS was killer, and the whole album had sort of an ominous feel to it.

edit:
So, my experience in real time with Sacred Heart, it felt like such a let down. This was before internet obviously, but when it came out, I just felt something wasn't right.
I will also say that I have found that it has aged extremely well, and the live album from that tour is really good.
Let down is a bit of an understatement. And Hungry for Heaven sure as hell didn't help.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 07:30:06 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2023, 07:19:59 AM »
For me, it was "No Jacket Required" or "Misplaced Childhood".  I was getting into prog at the time, and some of the metal stuff just wasn't cutting the mustard.   I'm in agreement with Bart and TAC on Dio.  Bummer.  "Done With Mirrors" was cool-ish, because it meant Aerosmith was back, but the record itself didn't really sink in until later.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2023, 08:01:28 AM »
I went with 'Power Windows'.

Billy Joel Greatest Hits I & II would be my most listened to.  A 'Live Aid' performance by a certain band from that year, released much later, would have topped the bill.

Lost my Mom that year, so I listened to a lot of old comfort music at the time.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2023, 08:19:52 AM »
I went with 'Power Windows'.

Billy Joel Greatest Hits I & II would be my most listened to.  A 'Live Aid' performance by a certain band from that year, released much later, would have topped the bill.

Lost my Mom that year, so I listened to a lot of old comfort music at the time.

I'm sorry for your loss.

That Billy Joel set got a lot of mileage from me as well.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2023, 01:32:02 PM »
Someone else mentioned it on page 2 I think, but personally tend to leave Soundtracks and Live albums for their own lists and keep these year by year threads to new releases by sole artists bands and whatnot.

But kudos to coz and whoever else mentioned the Back To The Future soundtrack which was probably one of my most listened to albums of 85 and my gateway into Huey Lewis and his News.  My second most listened to of 85 would've then been their Sports record which I had quickly acquired on cassette soon after seeing the movie #LoveHueyandthenews!

And of course Live After Death is the epitome of live records so yeah there's that! ;)

Anyway it doesn't surprise me from that list I was otherwise the lone voter for DIO Sacred Heart which while was not a record I discovered at that time has, along with the rest of the Dio catalogue become a staple of my own collection.  The more commercial of the Viv trilogy but for what I consider a rather quiet year in 85, Sacred Heart stood out, Rock N' Roll Children and Just Another Day for example  remain top10 tier DIO for this fan :metal

Regarding live albums, I tend to agree.  I made exceptions for Strangers in the Night and Live After Death, but I won't likely for anything else.

Sacred Heart is spotty for me, but the high points are really high.  I love King of Rock and Roll.  Rock 'n' Roll Children is excellent, and Just Another Day might be the most underrated of the Campbell era Dio songs (the other being I Speed at Night).  I even love Hungry for Heaven (i.e., Mystery with different lyrics).  The rest of the album, though....  The title track is a bit of a slog (although it was great live), and the other four songs arepretty mediocre.

For me, that happened with Dream Evil.  Of course, replacing Vivian Campbell with Craig Goldy was the obvious reason for that.  Even the album cover looked pretty half-assed.  I almost never listen to DE anymore.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline WardySI

« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2023, 05:03:56 AM »
Love Dream Evil but agree 100% the cover art, while conceptually cool, executed poorly.  Artist did a fine job but the final product was a bit soft and needed be oomph!?

Yeah aside from it's harsh sound (terrible), love Dream Evil and don't mean derail the thread, but right now (changes regularly DIO is rather like Queensryche for me another gift that keeps giving) DIO would probably look like...

1. The Last In Line
2. Holy Diver
3. Dream Evil
4. Sacred Heart
5. Strange Highways
6. Killing The Dragon
7. Magica
8. Lock Up The Wolves
9. Master Of The Moon
10. Angry Machines

Offline sam1oq

« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2023, 05:11:51 AM »
Omen - Warning of Danger for me. I was huge into USPM for a while and this is one of my favorite albums from the scene. Nice gruff vocals and general epic vibe are huge.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2023, 09:32:23 AM »
Loudness - Thunder in the East