Author Topic: Once Upon a Time  (Read 5490 times)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Once Upon a Time
« on: December 06, 2011, 02:09:22 AM »
Anyone else catching this show on ABC?  I just watched the first two episodes with a friend of mine and found the premise very intriguing.  It's available for streaming on the ABC website for those that want to check it out.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Once Upon a Time
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 02:51:46 AM »
Care to quickly outline? I am right now trying to watch all episodes of Bear Gryll's "Escape to the legion", so it would have to be something interesting for me to watch that too.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:02:50 AM »
All the characters from children's fairy tales are about to be cursed by the evil queen (the one from Snow White) to live trapped in time in a world without happy endings (our world).  In an effort to stop her, Snow White and Prince Charming placed their newborn daughter into an enchanted wardrobe on the counsel of Rumpelstiltskin who said that she would return on her 28th birthday to save them. 

Flash forward to our world, and a young boy with a storybook runs off and  finds his birth mother, who happens to be the daughter of Snow White.  She is very skeptical, and takes the boy back to his home in Storybrooke, Maine.  This place is where all the characters from the Enchanted Forest are trapped in time, oblivious to their past lives. 

It's cool seeing the connections between real people and their fairy tale counterpart, and in the second episode you see more of a backstory to the evil queen that has usually gone untold.  The two main writers are of LOST fame as well.   

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 09:01:07 AM »
My girlfriend raves about this show. I watched the first episode on Saturday, and by the time Sunday night came around, I was done with the first 22 episodes. Fantastic show. I really like it. Plus, the main character, Emma, is gorgeous.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 09:04:57 AM »
The show started off alright, but it really started to lose it as it went on. After wasting half a season in the same small set of forest looking for Peter Pan, I gave up on the show entirely. Every episode eventually becomes a silly attempt to link absolutely everything together in a big inbred ball of ridiculous coincidence. Every character does not need to be related!

And Prince Charming and Snow White are just the most sappy goody two shoes to the point of being dull and unlikable. Aside from Emma, the only cool characters are the bad guys, like Hook and Mr Gold.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 09:10:33 AM »
I stopped watching half way during the 2nd season.  I really just thought the show got boring quick and got out of hand and lost me completely.  THe first season was cool, but as it went on and on it felt more like a kids show with ridiculous childhood characters and a story that got less and less interesting.  I did really really like rumplestiltskin (spelling) though, he was a great character.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 09:11:45 AM »
I've got the first two seasons under my belt, love it. I especially enjoy the twist they do on the characters traditional backstories. And little red riding hood...hooo boy....

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 09:15:30 AM »
I stopped watching half way during the 2nd season.  I really just thought the show got boring quick and got out of hand and lost me completely.  THe first season was cool, but as it went on and on it felt more like a kids show with ridiculous childhood characters and a story that got less and less interesting.  I did really really like rumplestiltskin (spelling) though, he was a great character.

You bailed at the right time. Season 3 is painful, and you barely even see most of the characters outside of the main few.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 09:45:08 AM »
Anyone else catching this show on ABC?  I just watched the first two episodes with a friend of mine and found the premise very intriguing.  It's available for streaming on the ABC website for those that want to check it out.
I used to watch it faithfully with my wife and daughter the first 3 seasons. It was a great show the first couple of seasons. I actually loved the show!
 By season 3 it started to seriously nose drive. Weak plot, weak characters being introduced. By the end of season 3 I could barely tolerate the show anymore.
I started off watching season 4 just to continue the Sunday night family tradition. I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes. Then they went and brought Elsa and Anna from Frozen into the show.I already wanted out but that was it for me! The show completely jumped the shark as far as I'm concerned.
I COULD TAKE NO MORE!!!
I stopped watching. My daughter and wife still watch but I don't think they even like it anymore.

Get out now! Don't invest your time! You will regret it!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 09:49:31 AM »
I've got the first two seasons under my belt, love it.

So did I! Trust me, its all down hill from there!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
The show started off alright, but it really started to lose it as it went on. After wasting half a season in the same small set of forest looking for Peter Pan, I gave up on the show entirely. Every episode eventually becomes a silly attempt to link absolutely everything together in a big inbred ball of ridiculous coincidence. Every character does not need to be related!

And Prince Charming and Snow White are just the most sappy goody two shoes to the point of being dull and unlikable. Aside from Emma, the only cool characters are the bad guys, like Hook and Mr Gold.
I kept watching, but I agree with all of this. I was so glad that season three was cut into two halves and had two separate plots for each half - dragging out the Peter Pan storyline for an entire season probably would have been enough for me to stop watching.

Offline TimelessSymphony

• just a random guy
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 08:59:30 PM »
I'm so freaking glad that the Frozen storyline is over. I almost didn't watched the first half of the season because of that, I wonder what they will do next though and having Maleficent back on the show makes me happy!

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 02:17:16 AM »
Well the first season was great and fun to watch but can't say that for the other seasons. Especially this little boy's acting is pretty irritating. The Evil Queen is awesome though.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 12:58:37 PM »
Well the first season was great and fun to watch but can't say that for the other seasons. Especially this little boy's acting is pretty irritating. The Evil Queen is awesome though.

I Agree, the Evil Queen is my favourite character. Funny how the evil chraracters are the most intriguing. So glad that Frozen storyline is done with. Some of the acting was dreadful, particularly the Kristoff character.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 07:27:28 AM »
I'm a few episodes into season 2. Still liking it thus far.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 08:37:40 AM »

Quit while you still have positive memories of the show. Save and treasure those memories. It all goes to hell during the second half of Season 2.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 08:52:56 AM »

Quit while you still have positive memories of the show. Save and treasure those memories. It all goes to hell during the second half of Season 2.

I never bail on a show. It doesn't matter how horrible it is. Sometimes I'll take a six month break, but I always finish.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 10:29:26 AM »

I never bail on a show. It doesn't matter how horrible it is. Sometimes I'll take a six month break, but I always finish.
I would rethink that. By the beginning of season 3 you will wish you had.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 05:54:51 AM »

I'd highly suggest that you make an exception this time around. I should also mention that this is coming from someone whose username is a direct reference to the show being discussed ("Mister Gold").

While it wasn't exactly a great show to start off with, I really used to love watching OUAT because I'm a rather big fan of Disney and fairy tales. Plus Robert Carlyle is one incredibly gifted actor and I really enjoyed his performance on the show. But this show is truly filled with some of the absolute worst writing imaginable. It's not even the sort of bad writing that's fun to watch; it's just all around unpleasant and infuriating.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 06:18:20 AM »

I'd highly suggest that you make an exception this time around. I should also mention that this is coming from someone whose username is a direct reference to the show being discussed ("Mister Gold").

While it wasn't exactly a great show to start off with, I really used to love watching OUAT because I'm a rather big fan of Disney and fairy tales. Plus Robert Carlyle is one incredibly gifted actor and I really enjoyed his performance on the show. But this show is truly filled with some of the absolute worst writing imaginable. It's not even the sort of bad writing that's fun to watch; it's just all around unpleasant and infuriating.

I fell so dumb for never making that connection.

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 12:51:23 AM »
I used to watch it faithfully with my wife and daughter the first 3 seasons. It was a great show the first couple of seasons. I actually loved the show!
 By season 3 it started to seriously nose drive. Weak plot, weak characters being introduced. By the end of season 3 I could barely tolerate the show anymore.
I started off watching season 4 just to continue the Sunday night family tradition. I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes. Then they went and brought Elsa and Anna from Frozen into the show.I already wanted out but that was it for me! The show completely jumped the shark as far as I'm concerned.
I COULD TAKE NO MORE!!!
I stopped watching. My daughter and wife still watch but I don't think they even like it anymore.

Get out now! Don't invest your time! You will regret it!

Agreed.  This is entirely my take on all things OuaT.  Riding the icy sheen of the Frozen fad signaled this show's death knell for me.  :tdwn
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 12:28:51 PM »
I love this show. It's another show that I've always wanted to watch but never sat down to do it. Thanks to Netflix, I'm almost caught up. I have two more episodes left in season 4. I wasn't too crazy about the Frozen plot, but overall it's a great show. Considering the writers are the same as those that did Lost, I've noticed a few nuggets. Besides having some of the same actors, I noticed the address of the mayor's house is 108, which is the same number that needs to be keyed in on the computer in Lost (and is also the sum of the recurring numbers). The clock tower in OuaT is frozen at 8:15, the same number as the flight in Lost. As a matter of fact those same numbers show up repeatedly in OuaT. Regina's (OuaT) constant repeating of, "don't tell me what I can and cannot do" is similar to Locke's repeating of, "Don't tell me what I can't do."  There a lot of other nuggets but you get the idea.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 12:33:10 PM »
I'm still a fan of the show (I've watched the first 4 seasons but not the current one, I'll wait) but I'll always consider the first season the best one. The more it goes on the more they stick back references and family ties and retroactive twists to the point that it will all collapse on the writers one day. Still, a clever idea, and yes, Red Riding Hood made my day back in season 1  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 12:36:35 PM »
I'm still a fan of the show (I've watched the first 4 seasons but not the current one, I'll wait) but I'll always consider the first season the best one. The more it goes on the more they stick back references and family ties and retroactive twists to the point that it will all collapse on the writers one day. Still, a clever idea, and yes, Red Riding Hood made my day back in season 1  ;D

Is she your favorite character?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 01:07:40 PM »
Hormones say yes, she was, hehe! her character was actually likeable anyway, but if I have to pick one, I guess I would be partial to Rumple. The smartest and cunniest of them all, and yet one of the most flawed characters.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 01:11:08 PM »
Belle is obviously my first choice, but besides her it's Rumple or Hook. I like multi-layered characters, the ones who you can spend all day guessing correctly, then at that final moment they shock you. They're protect of themselves and apprehensive about letting others in. I can relate to characters like that.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 05:51:47 AM »
Anyone watch the recent episode?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 07:07:17 AM »
I watched the first episode of the second half of the current season where they go to the underworld and I think I'm done with the show. Nothing is happening and I'm really tired of the same things happening over and over. Also, Henry is the WORST actor in the history of television.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »
Henry's acting definitely leaves much to be desired. I guess they felt it was cute when he was just a little kid but now he's getting older and it's not good.  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 06:45:05 AM »
This weekend is the two hour season finale.  Who has been following along still?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2016, 09:34:37 AM »
I gave up after they went to the underworld.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2016, 12:20:17 PM »
I understand what you mean. It hasn't been my favorite plot line, but some of the aspects of it were pretty cool. I think that next season could be the last but who knows. I wasn't TOO keen on the Frozen plot line either, but there's no doubt they did it in hopes to boost ratings. I remember reading in an article somewhere that there were a few other characters they had hoped to procure the rights for but were unable to. Who they were escapes me at the moment. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 01:00:34 PM »
Season seven has actually been really good so far. It's just like season one. They're in our world and under a curse. I didn't expect much since so many from the main cast didn't come back, though my two favorites (Rumpel and Hook) returned. It was about four or five episodes in when I realized this season is well written. Episode 4 totally killed me. I didn't expect to have happen what happened. If old fans of the show wanted to get back into it before the end, I'd say this new season might satisfy you more than the last couple of seasons.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2018, 01:32:07 PM »
That's good to know. For now I stand by my decision to quit the show after, you know, the LEAD ACTRESS HERSELF did. I'm good with Season 6 as being the end of it all (minus the last scene of course).

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2018, 01:56:51 PM »
It's from a different storybook. Some of the characters are different from those we know. Cinderella is a different girl. Jack (Jack and the Beanstalk) is a man in this, not a woman. Hook is a different Hook. He's the Hook that came to be in the Wish Realm created by the Evil Queen.

I've read many different adaptations of fairy tales by today's authors, so I just treat the new season like a different adaptation of Henry's storybook. It's one of my favorite shows, and I'll be disappointed when it's over, so I want to enjoy what's left of it. I just got the first season on Blu-ray so next I'll watch the behind-the-scenes material and maybe even listen to an audio commentary.