Author Topic: Is it time for Dream Theater to go full electronica for one song?  (Read 10241 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Is it time for Dream Theater to go full electronica for one song?
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2011, 02:44:14 AM »
No electronica please, if for any reason so that they'll be less backing tracks used in their live shows. 

Good point RTK. They have four of the most capable musicians on the planet and JR damn near can account for two full musicians himself so if they really need to get that extravagant with the presentation then why not just hire some pit performers or some onstage talent if it's that important to go beyond what live bass/keys/drums/guitar can accomplish.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2011, 04:04:50 AM »
Back on the topic, I really love the idea...also, I recall an interview where MP and JP said they were planning initially on 6DOIT to have world music references, which sounded like an amazing idea to me.

If DT ever did a song like this, combining metal, world music, and electronic elements, I would probably faint from happiness: Lunatic Moon
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline hacko

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2011, 05:00:52 AM »
No ty. I already make funny faces when listening to the intro of BMU BMD

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2011, 06:14:37 AM »
I'm gonna have to say no on this too.  Like some have said, a little is ok.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2011, 07:06:24 AM »
Only one or two people are actually saying that if DT did an electronica song that they'd dislike it. Most of us are only saying that we dislike the genre (or don't think DT are suited to it) and don't wish for DT to do a song in that style. And as a generalization, that is perfectly reasonable.
If they did one, I for one would give it a fair chance as I have with every other DT song, and I'm sure most others would too. I may even like it. But when you ask as a general hypothetical of whether we'd want DT to do a song in that style, why would I say yes to a genre that I don't like?

"I hate literally every single electronica song, and if DT wrote one I would hate it just because it was electronica" - Close minded
"I don't like electronica in general, so would prefer DT not write a song in that style" - Not close minded.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2011, 07:07:16 AM »
I'd definitely give it a listen.  But it's not something I'd put on a list of "musical styles I'd like Dream Theater to try"

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2011, 07:34:49 AM »
Im for it. It's always great when they explore new things, something like Juno Reactor incorporated into one song would be interesting to hear. Thats a band I have recently began to explore too, they're great.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2011, 09:06:42 AM »
A Dream Theater instrumental section DubStep-prog-metal breakdown would be awesome.

Offline Mat JB

« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2011, 05:36:11 PM »
Yeah, why not? Adventurousness is part of the Dream Theater spirit.

Offline coffees for closers

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2011, 12:58:45 PM »
I could see Jordan doing a solo piece like that, but not the band as a whole.

Offline GalPro

« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2011, 04:53:41 AM »
i hate electronic music...and it is a shame if dream theater will head to that direction

Offline Art

« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2011, 12:12:56 PM »
Electronica is good but imagine if DT done post-rock  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

hells kitchen

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2011, 06:28:43 PM »
I'd love to hear it. Sad to read through this thread and realize a lot of people don't even know what electronica actually is.  :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2011, 06:45:13 PM »
As someone who liked/loved/eventually grew out of it almost completely from '89-present I can tell you in my experience that it has a lot to do with the bulk of the modern stuff sounding far less appealing than what I liked about it in the first place coupled with the fact that the genrefication of it began getting absurd by the mid-to-late-90s when it seemed that every time some new piece of sampling/looping/programming equipment came out they needed to call it a fancy new name. The superfluous genre thing is minor though as the main problem for me is that 90% of what I've heard from electronic artists since '99 or so is really bland and uninspired if listened to fully sober and just isn't something that can be readily listened to in your car or on the go and enjoyed fully. I'm not trying to play the drug thing here but I can only guess being fucked up in some way enables some of the "beauty" in this stuff.

I used to (and still do for the most part) like bands like Depeche Mode, The Prodigy, New Order, amongst others whom have injected electronic instrumentation into their work but the newer artists using it really seem hung up on sounding "cool" and "edgy" before worrying about making anything that sounds appealing, original, or captivating in any way.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2011, 06:53:07 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Depeche Mode and New Order, and I consider myself a huge fan of various other industrial, electronic, and new wave acts, both old and new. I've never had to be fucked up to appreciate the beauty of any of it.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2011, 06:57:58 PM »
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I also forgot to give love to Front 242, NIN, Ministry, and KMFDM before.

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2011, 08:47:25 AM »
Whenever DT try to "use elements" from other bands and genres, they usually just end up sounding like them. This applies mostly to the pre-Mangini stuff, considering that BMUBMD and Outcry is well executed, while for example Prophets of War is a tad too much of a nod.

I wouldn't want DT to try to make a "full electronic" song, simply because that's not the kind of music they do. The way Jordan uses synth sounds in Outcry and BMUBMD to create an electronic feel is well executed and exists because it fits in there. Dream Theater should stay progressive, but the degree to which electronic music has been experimented with so far is enough, in my opinion. They're a rock/metal band, after all.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2011, 08:49:01 AM »
I'm a huge fan of Depeche Mode and New Order, and I consider myself a huge fan of various other industrial, electronic, and new wave acts, both old and new. I've never had to be fucked up to appreciate the beauty of any of it.

Hipster.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
I'd love to hear it. Sad to read through this thread and realize a lot of people don't even know what electronica actually is.  :lol

I honestly have no idea what electronica actually means. I've always assumed it was just another word for electronic music (which in the end is not a very descriptive genre either).
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2011, 08:36:42 AM »
 party rock cover

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2011, 02:19:33 PM »
Rudess: EVERY DAY IM WIZARDIN

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2011, 03:40:37 PM »
I don't see any downside to them attempting it. In fact a whole album of attempts at genres they've never tried would be the greatest thing ever. They've already got, what, almost 80-100 prog metal songs to their name so what's to lose there?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2011, 04:15:58 PM »
I like electronica used as an effect, like a guitar pedal.  Not throughout a whole song but I'd welcome the idea.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2011, 09:33:26 AM »
I like electronica used as an effect, like a guitar pedal.  Not throughout a whole song but I'd welcome the idea.

That is kind of what I meant.  When I said "full electronica," I didn't necessarily mean all keys and electronics and no guitar, bass or real drums.  I meant, having the backbone of the song being electronic-driven, but still rocking with some mean riffing and whatnot.  I think DT could pull that off really well. 

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2011, 09:57:30 AM »
I don't see any downside to them attempting it. In fact a whole album of attempts at genres they've never tried would be the greatest thing ever. They've already got, what, almost 80-100 prog metal songs to their name so what's to lose there?
Seriously. Maybe I'm just tired of the genre (I am), but I don't think I could handle another Dream Theatery Dream Theater album. They kinda reached the ultimate refinement of that sound with ADTOE. I think more of that would just be tiring.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2011, 06:39:11 PM »

I honestly have no idea what electronica actually means. I've always assumed it was just another word for electronic music (which in the end is not a very descriptive genre either).

I think it is just another word for electronic music, the "a" at the end meant to make it into a noun instead of an adjective. Mostly, my post was just a retaliation against people who dismiss it all as club techno bullshit.

That is kind of what I meant.  When I said "full electronica," I didn't necessarily mean all keys and electronics and no guitar, bass or real drums.  I meant, having the backbone of the song being electronic-driven, but still rocking with some mean riffing and whatnot.  I think DT could pull that off really well.

I think this would be cool.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2011, 07:01:47 PM »

I'm with you.  I like how PT adds a little to their music.  Not overwhelming but adds great texture to their music.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Vajra

« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2011, 08:32:20 PM »
A techno/trance song by DT?

Count me the fuck in.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2011, 10:20:55 PM »
I would love that but they'll never do it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2011, 10:24:50 PM »
No.  We already have Prophets of War (pt. 1).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2011, 11:04:09 PM »
Except that Prophets of War isn't electronica by any stretch of the imagination. 

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2011, 11:40:07 PM »
Kev we're dealing with people who thought the little off centered vocal part in "Honor Thy Father" was actual rap.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2011, 01:12:25 AM »
Kev we're dealing with people who thought the little off centered vocal part in "Honor Thy Father" was actual rap.

And they have a point since it's done in an aggressive, choppy manner and definitely isn't straight singing. PoW definitely has an electronic feel to the intro no matter what anyone wants to say to refute it so all of this dismissiveness toward folks with those opinions is quite baseless.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »
Outside of the synth arpeggios in the verses and intro, there's virtually nothing electronic about POW.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2011, 03:54:53 PM »
There is no logical way that Prophets of War is electronica.