Author Topic: Is it time for Dream Theater to go full electronica for one song?  (Read 10240 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I say yes.  An emphatic yes.  They have been subtly incorporating electronic elements here and there over the years, and the bits at the beginning of both Outcry and Build Me Up, Break Me Down are great, and I'd love to see them go full electronica for a full song on the next album.  Now, I am not talking just fake drums and nothing else, but maybe like a fast-paced song driven by electronic drums, but still plenty rocking and featuring a great riff that also helps drives the song forward.  I think they could do something really good like that.  And they could even have Mangini play some real drums on it, although if they didn't it would be okay, too. 

Who's with me? :metal

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Is it time for Dream Theater to go full electronica for one song?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 07:48:54 PM »
+1 from me

I love electronic music. Would love to see 'em try.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 07:53:30 PM »
No.  We already have Prophets of War (pt. 1).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 08:02:28 PM »
I say no, but ONLY because I HATE electronica. If DT chooses to do one, I just won't listen to it. I won't be very surprised. Cradle of Filth has a small handful of electronica/dance/funk songs and they seem even less likely do something like that, but hey.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 08:31:53 PM »
I'd be totally down with it, even if it sucks. I like it when bands dare new stuff (see: Opeth's Heritage).

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:34:15 PM »
Please, no. The bits and pieces here and there are cool, though.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 08:45:13 PM »
No.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
I say no, but ONLY because I HATE electronica. If DT chooses to do one, I just won't listen to it. I won't be very surprised. Cradle of Filth has a small handful of electronica/dance/funk songs and they seem even less likely do something like that, but hey.
If the band you love enough to participate in its online community does a song in a particular style, you'll refuse to listen to it? A bit close-minded, isn't that?

Anyway, this isn't something I'd realistically expect DT to do. The band has always had a really clear vision regarding what is and isn't DT (what with the metal-prog-melodic format and all), and the electronic thing doesn't really coincide with that vision. Besides, I get the feeling that JR, who would likely be the catalyst behind this project if it happened, has a number of non-DT outlets for his electronic ideas (YouTube, solo albums/shows, etc.).

If it DID happen, though, well, that would be pretty cool, if not a bit confusing/disorienting when played live (DT's fans aren't known to be particularly energetic).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 08:56:05 PM »
No. I don't mind them incorporating the odd influence here and there, but I never want them to do a full song of it. I'm all for them experimenting, but not when it's into a genre I hate. If I wanted to hear that, I'd just listen to an electronica artist.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 08:58:05 PM »
I love the genre and it would be interesting, especially if they make JR in charge of many of the sounds (some of his older videos demonstrating keyboards = damn).

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 09:28:51 PM »
Post an example of an electronica song you think would have been acceptable as a DT song, if DT had come out with it first.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 09:38:11 PM »
Something like OSI does (obviously vocally very different) would work quite well with DT I think.

rumborak

• DT.net Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 09:44:34 PM »
If the band you love enough to participate in its online community does a song in a particular style, you'll refuse to listen to it? A bit close-minded, isn't that?

Anyway, this isn't something I'd realistically expect DT to do. The band has always had a really clear vision regarding what is and isn't DT (what with the metal-prog-melodic format and all), and the electronic thing doesn't really coincide with that vision. Besides, I get the feeling that JR, who would likely be the catalyst behind this project if it happened, has a number of non-DT outlets for his electronic ideas (YouTube, solo albums/shows, etc.).

If it DID happen, though, well, that would be pretty cool, if not a bit confusing/disorienting when played live (DT's fans aren't known to be particularly energetic).

The majority of people who post here a lot do so because they enjoy the community and initially found out about this place because of being DT fans, not because they're so into DT that they'll look past stuff they have a legitimate aversion to. I fucking love the Saints as they've been my avatar for nearly two years now but if you told me I had to eat a pound of water chestnuts (which I hate) in order to get into the Superdome to watch 'em play, I'd definitely have some thinking to do.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 10:00:01 PM »
I'd love it.

Something like Infected Mushroom would fit DT's style. It's heavy, it's electronic, it can be progressive.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 10:06:53 PM »
What would be better is if they made an EP, all experimental songs titled an experimental dream
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 10:10:31 PM »
I would like to hear it.  It couldn't hurt to try it.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 10:23:27 PM »
It would be cool to hear for sure. I think they have the creativity to pull it off. It would be especially awesome to hear JR lay down some keys and have JM incorporate some funk into his playing. Maybe some instrumentation similar to Justice.

I dunno, it's definitely not "DT" but I'm always open to them trying new stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 10:25:26 PM »
I never buy the "It's not insert band name here" argument.  If a band does a song, then that song is then a part of their sound, and it thus becomes them, right? ;)

Now, I get that people mean, "It is not representative of their signature sound," but if I wanted only bands that stuck to their signature sound all of the time, I'd listen to AC/DC 24/7! :biggrin:

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 10:39:24 PM »

The majority of people who post here a lot do so because they enjoy the community and initially found out about this place because of being DT fans, not because they're so into DT that they'll look past stuff they have a legitimate aversion to. I fucking love the Saints as they've been my avatar for nearly two years now but if you told me I had to eat a pound of water chestnuts (which I hate) in order to get into the Superdome to watch 'em play, I'd definitely have some thinking to do.
That's not what I was getting at. The point is that the vast majority of people here are here because they love DT, and if you love and appreciate DT, you should be able to appreciate the musical ideas in DT's electronic piece. The DT-electronica situation and the Saints-water chestnut situations are not analogous; they would be if the Saints were a manufacturer of snack products.

And again, I'm not arguing that this person should automatically love this hypothetical song because he's on the board. That's ridiculous. I'm arguing that since this person appreciates what DT does, he should not be so close-minded as not to give the song a chance.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 10:47:01 PM »
I agree with Kev.  The electronic drum bits in BMU BMD and Outcry threw me for a loop and I like them quite a bit.  The electronic breakdown in ITNOG is really cool as well.  I'd love to see a whole song carrying an electronica influence throughout.  Even more daring would be a whole album, but I have a feeling Mangini didn't join the band to write parts on a drum machine. :P

And no Bosk, PoW isn't electronica.  :P

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 12:43:50 AM »
I hope they do. The beginning of Outcry was cool, but it was just a small taste. I long for some heavy, rocking, epic-sounding, electronic music.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 12:50:59 AM »
Electronica is good but imagine if DT done post-rock  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

• DT.net Member
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 01:48:35 AM »

That's not what I was getting at. The point is that the vast majority of people here are here because they love DT, and if you love and appreciate DT, you should be able to appreciate the musical ideas in DT's electronic piece. The DT-electronica situation and the Saints-water chestnut situations are not analogous; they would be if the Saints were a manufacturer of snack products.

And again, I'm not arguing that this person should automatically love this hypothetical song because he's on the board. That's ridiculous. I'm arguing that since this person appreciates what DT does, he should not be so close-minded as not to give the song a chance.

But seriously, I despise country music and seeing as how I've been subjected to country music on a VERY regular basis (I've lived in New Orleans my entire live except for 7 months and if you made a triangle with the three points being in Dallas, Raleigh(NC), and Miami, you'd have a visual representation of an area I've never been outside of for even a second of my life except for a two-hour layover in Chicago) and never legitimately liked one song despite that huge a sample size, it'd be very safe to say I wouldn't be smitten with any kind of country influence DT would ever inject into their music.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 01:53:19 AM »
No.  We already have Prophets of War (pt. 1).
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Mladen

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 03:13:27 AM »
Sure, why the hell not. They can do whatever they want. They have tried all kinds of different stuff over the years, sometimes I loved it, sometimes not so much. That's just a part of being a prog fan.  :smiley:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 03:14:21 AM »
PoW wasn't electronica. That one was a Muse ripoff (musically).

rumborak

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 04:25:24 AM »
No.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 05:06:10 AM »
No thanks.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dillster22

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 05:11:25 AM »
On the Run by Pink Floyd came to mind while reading this, especially the parts about JR doing most of it.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 06:42:19 AM »
No. We already have Prophets of War (pt. 1).

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 06:45:29 AM »
They should ask Kevin Moore to help them write that electronica song! ;D Ok, just kidding...

I wouldn't have problem with them experimenting with electronics for one song, it could be interesting. However, I'm sure that won't happen - JP didn't like MP's idea of having real death growls on ANTR and said it would be "too radical for the fans to swallow" and I think this could be one of those radical things.

And about Prophets of War: only the first verse of that song could be labelled as electronica (or having electronic elements).

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 07:00:15 AM »
PoW wasn't electronica. That one was a Muse ripoff (musically).

Which is really more "disco" than "electronica".

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2011, 07:15:48 AM »
Err, no. Not if they want me to buy the album. Some influence of, yes, it's worked when they've done it. A full song hell no.

Offline Jarzombek

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2011, 07:24:31 AM »
NO.
it would be the worst song from their career.

even worse than build me up, break me down or prophets of war.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2011, 07:24:49 AM »
I wouldnt mind, it would be interesting to see :D