Author Topic: Timo Tolkki calls it a day  (Read 5106 times)

Offline RazielSR

Re: Timo Tolkki calls it a day
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
I think it's a bit of a stretch to try and craft Stratovarius as a progressive band at all. I like them, I've supported them, but labeling them as progressive is just an attempt to legitimize them in the eyes of people who aren't going to be swayed anyway as far as I'm concerned. They were a very influential power metal band in Europe, and that's good enough for me.

We are not saying it is a progressive band, but nowadays some of their songs can be considered  prog or prog metal. Don't know dude...you could say that songs like Emancipation or Elysium could be prog or at least progpower. Doesn't seem 100% power metal songs to me.  100% power metal songs are Speed of light, Under flaming skies, Infernal maze, etc, etc ...An attempt to legitimize them in the eyes of people?  :lol dude, calm down, we are not trying to turn DT forum into a big fan of Stratovarius  ;D .

Kosmo

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2011, 10:50:02 AM »
If I were to introduce them to someone I definitely wouldn't mention the word prog, I'd just say top quality power metal. Sure there's small bits of progressive in some of their songs but still.. I don't know, I just see them as a power metal band.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2011, 10:53:11 AM »
Exactly, me too. But as you know, many people says (not just me) that with Matias, the band contains some prog elements in their songs. And it is obvious when you listen to Elysium, that song is not an 18 minutes power metal song...Even Jens Johansson or Kotipelto said that in interviews. Is not a progr metal band, but now is a band with a new feeling, and a big part of that feeling is that you can listen some prog elements in their songs.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2011, 05:32:30 PM »
I agree with Raziels last post.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2011, 05:46:52 PM »
I think it's a bit of a stretch to try and craft Stratovarius as a progressive band at all. I like them, I've supported them, but labeling them as progressive is just an attempt to legitimize them in the eyes of people who aren't going to be swayed anyway as far as I'm concerned. They were a very influential power metal band in Europe, and that's good enough for me.

Being "progressive" makes something "legitimate"?

:lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2011, 07:47:11 PM »

If your trying to get prog fans into them, then yes.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2011, 02:41:00 AM »

If your trying to get prog fans into them, then yes.

Seriously, do you really think that was the purpose of the conversation we were having regarding progressive elements in some Stratovarius songs?  :facepalm:

All we know Stratovarius is a power metal band! AND NO, I don't want, nor I'm trying to turn them into a progressive band like DT or smt. But you can't deny there are prog elements in some of their songs. Even more than many songs coming from "progressive bands"... And it is a direction they got when Matias Kupiainen came to the band. They still having the same ideas, but with a new direction and new thoughts coming from a new composer for the band, Kupiainen, who likes a lot prog music. He loves SymphonyX for example. Those are things they said in interviews, not random thoughts coming from me.

If you think that means that me or 4/5 users are trying to gain some attention from people around here, then you have a problem...But I'm sure you don't think it that way.  ;)

It's easier. If you listen to Elysium, their last album you have:

- The typical kind of power metal stuff they always had in their style in: Under Flaming Skies, Infernal Maze, The game never ends, Event Horizon and Castaway.
- The typical kind of  single they used to have: Darkest hours.
- Ballads with a new touch and some new elements: Fairness justified, Move the mountain.
- Some songs with more prog elements on it: Lifetime in a moment in some way, and Elysium is a progressive song or at least a progpower song.

The same happened with Polaris, the first album they released without Tolkki, emancipation suite is not the typical Stratovarius song. Listen in that album King of Nothing, Falling Star and Emancipation Suite. that's not the typical old Stratovarius at all. Even Deep Unknown is a single that many people was surprised while seeing that song becoming a single. Of course you can hear their elements, but it's not the same. It is a new direction.

Elysium marks that new direction. And again, that is not a random thought I'm having while posting, it is what reviews, fans and the band members says too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2011, 03:10:53 AM »
I agree.  Matius has brought a new direction and sound.  I would say Polaris and especially Elysium are very progressive.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2012, 02:49:46 AM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2012, 03:00:33 AM »
He shouldn't have to explain himself quite frankly, and I never got any impression that he was blaming the fans in his first statement.  It's absurd people would contact him and call him a coward, Timo, do what you please, we will always cherish the music you have given us, and if you don't want to do it anymore, it's your life, everyone else can fuck off.

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2012, 06:50:40 PM »
He shouldn't have to explain himself quite frankly, and I never got any impression that he was blaming the fans in his first statement.  It's absurd people would contact him and call him a coward, Timo, do what you please, we will always cherish the music you have given us, and if you don't want to do it anymore, it's your life, everyone else can fuck off.

Yea man, I agree.  He's given his fans so many albums already... I can totally understand if he just wants to make music for himself from now on.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2012, 09:31:47 AM »
I could see him releasing at least one album (maybe solo stuff?) at some point but only time will show.
Look who was right ;D

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 08:59:34 AM »
So apparently this is Tolkki's new project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLtyP7i4V2w

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 10:48:56 AM »
I saw that at melodicrock.com but didn't realise it was Tolkki they were talking about. Quite looking forward to it actually- the first tiem I've been that way about anything he's done since Infinity.
Some great vocalists.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2013, 12:06:39 PM »
From his second blog post, now the ACTUAL REASON comes out:

Secondly there have been some criticism about my decision, even some people have called me a coward.I know it is hard to understand what is really going on in the business at the moment. I mean globally in the whole world. Not just in your city.The signs have been there already about 10 years and of course this was expected. People don’t buy records anymore.
Game/set/match

People don't buy records anymore.  They steal them off the internet.   Then they whine about the bands who quit the business because they can't make any money from the albums they stole from their favorite artists.It's really quite an amazing thing to watch unfolding. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2013, 03:37:21 PM »
I saw that at melodicrock.com but didn't realise it was Tolkki they were talking about. Quite looking forward to it actually- the first tiem I've been that way about anything he's done since Infinity.
Some great vocalists.

It hasn't been confirmed that it's Tolkki, but that's what people are alluding too.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 02:27:29 AM »
Some great vocalists.

It hasn't been confirmed that it's Tolkki, but that's what people are alluding too.
Yeah, all the signs make it clear that it's TT: Derek, Jens and Kiske were supposed to appear on Credo and reportedly Elize Ryd had mentioned something about a videoshoot with Tolkki on FB.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 02:44:10 AM »
Bring it on I say.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2013, 02:47:58 AM »
Anybody still want to live the 'Glamourous Rock 'n Roll life' ?  ;)
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2013, 04:21:23 AM »
So apparently this is Tolkki's new project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLtyP7i4V2w

This has the potential of being very good!  Count me in as excited!