Author Topic: 2011: (Your) Most Disappointing Albums of the Year?  (Read 8937 times)

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
Re: 2011: (Your) Most Disappointing Albums of the Year?
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2011, 04:19:14 PM »
- Blackfield - Welcome To My DNA

After two albums that can bring me to tears given the right conditions, this one just doesn't do anything for me (save for the last track, DNA).

- Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events

Not necessarily a huge disappointment but still, for what was supposed to be a 'comeback' I figured this one to be pretty stale considering the rest of the discography. Maybe once they're comfortable enough to have Mangini brough into the creative process, they might start to experiment again.

- Fleshgod Apocalypse - Agony

Oh dear, their first album is one of my favourite modern death-metal releases because it showed their capabilities to write very clever, brutal though fine, complex though not over-the-top tunes. Unfortunately on this release all that has parted so they could fit the orchestral part into the songs, at least that's what it sounds like to me.

- Megadeth - Th1rt3en

Perhaps I need to give it some more time but for now this one is my least favourite post-reunion album.

- Symphony X - Iconoclast

Anticipated how this one would've turn out but that still doesn't make it any less of a disappointment. Dumbed-down prog-metal by numbers is what I heard on this album, can't say that I blame their need to steer into a heavier direction because their popularity did increase when Paradise Lost came out. It's a shame that this progressive band has truly stopped progressing.

Offline Anonymous

Re: 2011: (Your) Most Disappointing Albums of the Year?
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2011, 08:33:47 PM »
The Beady Eye album. Until Noel Gallagher's album came out I thought it was freakin great. But now i listen and compare the two, and Noel's songs are just so much better. Still love Beady Eye though. I hope their second album is at least as good as Noel's first, but im not counting on it.