Author Topic: Arch Benemy's Top 50 Albums - Done!  (Read 31010 times)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: Arch Benemy's Top 50 Albums - Bronze and Silver
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »
I LOVE that SikTh album!! And Colors is really good too! :tup

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2012, 03:01:01 PM »
Donde esta los eldorado, Benjamino?
No sé, pero he oído que hay tocino

OK so it's done, we're here.

1. Ayreon - The Human Equation

So here it is, my favourite album of all time, although I didn’t realize it was my favourite until quite recently. I definitely didn’t ‘get’ this album on first listen, in fact I didn’t really like it that much, but after reading up about the concept and actively following the storyline whilst listening I found myself becoming more and more immersed in the world that Arjen Lucassen has created. I’m not really a concept album fan, and in fact I’m not hugely enamored with Ayreon’s other albums, but something about this record just resonates within me and I love it more and more with every listen.

What I find particularly fascinating about this album is how I respond to it emotionally. I don’t tend to get emotionally invested with much of the media I take in; I’ve never cried at a film or TV show, nor do I often empathise with the problems facing the characters therein, but I care for the characters in The Human Equation as if I know them personally, and I feel their pain, loss, sadness and elation with every listen. This is the only record I’ve ever heard which has taken me through such a wringer of emotions. Day Thirteen brings me to tears on every listen, Day Seven always makes me smile, Day Sixteen makes me angry, most of the tracks give me goosebumps and some of them will have me rocking out (I once listened to this album whilst trying to get to sleep, but just as I was almost gone Day Eighteen was playing and I started headbanging in my semi-lucid state and woke myself up again.) Listening intently to the full hour and 42 minutes of this album is one of the most emotionally rewarding things I have ever done, and the experience keeps getting better and better.

In terms of the album's music, Arjen uses synths in a way that I would probably find cheesy in most other contexts, but he has a talent for picking exactly the right sound for any moment, whether that sound be melodic or dissonant. I particularly enjoy the guests synth solos though, especially those in Days Two and Fifteen, which just take me to another world. Arjen’s guitars are heavy, warm and often atmospheric, and though he’s no shredding virtuoso the playing is exceptional, and the solos are tasteful and only add to whatever vibe he wants a certain song to get across.  The use of woodwind and various stringed instruments all add to the sumptuous layers of sound which are at times thick and enveloping and at others thin and haunting. But above all, the music complements the vocals, because above everything else this album is about the performance of the guest vocalists.

Some of the singers on this album (Akerfeldt, LaBrie, Townsend) I was familiar with before hearing The Human Equation, but it is the lesser known guests who really stand out for me, particularly Magnus Ekwall and Marcela Bovio. As far as I’m concerned the casting is perfect, and each singer fits their role like a glove. Rage is the perfect foil for Townsend’s furious screams, Heather Findlay’s glorious comforting voice caresses the ears as Love, and Irene Jansen gives everything and more that her role as Passion requires. I was never a massive fan of female vocals in rock and prog, but this album single-handedly changed my opinion.

The ending of the album is a contentious point. I choose to ignore it. As I mentioned, I’m not massively interested in the rest of the Ayreon albums so I have no desire, at this point anyway, to tie this record in with the overall Ayreon concept, which is the point of that ending. For me this album is perfect as a standalone piece of musical art, and I would change nothing about it. Maybe if and when I decide to further immerse myself in the Ayreon concept then The Human Equation will have still more to offer me, but as it is I still hear new things upon every listen, and I have no intention to stop listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTSt58Xelz8

Well thanks everyone for your input, hope you enjoyed reading all this as much as I enjoyed putting it together!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2012, 03:06:54 PM »
Wow, quite a surprising number 1, but it's a really excellent album and definitely Arjen's best IMO, so I can't fault it! :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »
Wow, quite a surprising number 1, but it's a really excellent album and definitely Arjen's best IMO, so I can't fault it! :tup
Haha I actually told you that was my number one when we were at Sonisphere, but we'd both had a few so I guess you forgot

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2012, 03:19:19 PM »
Oh yeah! Totally forgot, so I'm definitely blaming the beer. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2012, 03:23:13 PM »
Good shit man. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2012, 03:25:48 PM »
 :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2012, 04:54:56 PM »
While I'm not the biggest Ayreon-fan, I did really enjoy following your list, because it was both diverse and had interesting write-ups.
Props!  :tup

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2012, 06:24:07 PM »
Great pick for number 1 and once again nice writeups for the list!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Arch Benemy's Top 50 Albums - Done!
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2012, 06:08:33 AM »
I guess our tastes aren't so far apart!  THE was my #2.  Fantastic album, and great choice for #1.  Great writeup too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Arch Benemy's Top 50 Albums - Top Ten Time
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »
I need to check out that Dream Theater album!
:| You for real? That's an essential DT album! One of the 'holy trinity!'

This was obvious sarcasm, as far as that can go on the internet  :lol

As for the rest of your list; I can't say much other than that your top 5 is awesome!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey