Author Topic: Does intent matter in regards to music?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Does intent matter in regards to music?
« on: December 01, 2011, 12:06:12 PM »
I ask this because I have a friend who frequently makes cracks about certain bands allegedly trying to appeal to the LCD (Lowest Common Denominator), which is his way of saying that bands that try to appeal to the masses are somehow less good.

Personally, I couldn't care less what the intention is.  Good music is good music, regardless if the artist tried to write a song to appeal to the masses or to appeal to a niche audience or just to please themselves. 

I think this is also a factor when people discuss whether a band supposedly "sold out" or not.  I see it all of the time: fans of a band that were sort of underground almost turn on the band because the band starting making music that had much more of a mainstream and/or widespread appeal.  Again, I say, good music is good music, regardless of intent. 

Anyone else?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Does intent matter in regards to music?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 12:14:15 PM »
I think intent or integrity has something to do with my enjoyment in music personally.  Sometimes a song can be catchy and good but I hate it because I don't really like where that particular artist is coming from or they just lack a certain something.  I think I liken it to the soul of the music.  Where that music comes from and how it is performed and presented.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 12:15:59 PM »
I agree that good music is good music, and that popularity isn't always a bad thing. I certainly wouldn't abandon a band I like if they got famous, if they still put out good music.

However, the kind of music that classifies as popular (aka the mainstream) is very rarely something that interests me.
The music itself may not be bad, but sometimes it's just very obvious that the artists have written a song that is meant for radio-play, a song that "clicks" right away, and when you hear it the second time, it offers nothing new to the table.
While some people might like that, it's honestly nothing I prefer, and very often I find it that the songs that click right away for me, are the songs that I start liking less and less with each listen, meanwhile the other songs just keeps on growing.
I also don't like it how much of popular music HAS to follow a certain standard in terms of structure and length, though I like it when artists are able to sorta ignore that, since they know they will sell albums anyway. :P

In terms of changing sound-wise, I'm all pro.
Even if it's a band where I love their current style, I would much rather see the band try something new, then to do the same album they have already done, in a mildly "new" way, I think in many examples the band isn't able to top their previous album, and in other cases they just become a band that has released 10 albums all sounding the same.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »
I would say there are times I want to be challeneged in my music and other times, "I wanna rock."

I feel the same way about movies.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 12:25:01 PM »
The problem is not the intention, the problem is when a band does music they don't enjoy that sounds like crap just to please the fans. Good music is good music, but when a band doesn't want to experiment because they want to be played on the radio and stuff like that... it's sad. Some times it sounds good nonetheless though. And some super-avant-garde bands sometimes sounds like shit so yeah.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:34:05 PM »
The problem is not the intention, the problem is when a band does music they don't enjoy that sounds like crap just to please the fans. Good music is good music, but when a band doesn't want to experiment because they want to be played on the radio and stuff like that... it's sad. Some times it sounds good nonetheless though. And some super-avant-garde bands sometimes sounds like shit so yeah.

I would say those bands like the music they are writing.  I don't think Blink 182 write their music because they don't enjoy it but because it's punk, light and fun.  Though it's not for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 12:34:29 PM »
I think I recall Stephen King saying once he writes for only 2 reasons: to please and entertain others, and to please and entertain himself*. I think that is as good of a reason to produce art as any.

* I am sure making a shitload of cash doesn’t hurt as an incentive, but he was writing for years before he made a dime, because it was what he felt compelled to do.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 12:35:27 PM »
It doesn't matter to me. I think to an extent, every band I listen to has made music to appeal to a certain group of people. Even bands that say "We make music to please ourselves" are making music to appeal to not just them, but people that share similar tastes.

Talking about intent of reaching mainstream, the funny thing is 40 years ago, that's what everyone did. You wrote music that you hoped would be played on the radio (i.e. mainstream).

I think that hasn't changed much. Perhaps a band doesn't write music to reach FM top-40 pop, but they do write to reach a specific audience.

Whether it is Disturbed (who writes radio-friendly harder rock), or Porcupine Tree, all bands write with the intent to reach an audience. So it doesn't really matter what that intent is, as long as you the listener enjoy what you hear.

:)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 12:42:38 PM »

I would say those bands like the music they are writing.  I don't think Blink 182 write their music because they don't enjoy it but because it's punk, light and fun.  Though it's not for me.

I wasn't talking about every popular band...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 12:58:09 PM »
Intent matters.  Everything matters.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 01:14:53 PM »
Good music is good music, regardless if the artist tried to write a song to appeal to the masses or to appeal to a niche audience or just to please themselves. 

I agree with this.

Regarding "selling out" I just can't take that term seriously, because it just seems to be a quick way for butthurt fans to say, "the band went into a direction that wasn't mapped out in my self-centered vision of the future for them, therefore they suck."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 01:24:16 PM »
Hell, I would love it if a song from my album suddenly "caught on" and we got noticed in the mainstream.  I'd be lying through my teeth if I said anything else.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 01:26:47 PM »

Regarding "selling out" I just can't take that term seriously, because it just seems to be a quick way for butthurt fans to say, "the band went into a direction that wasn't mapped out in my self-centered vision of the future for them, therefore they suck."

Amen to that. 

What's even more ridiculous are the fans who get all upset when a band they considered "theirs" when they were underground suddenly becomes really popular and they get turned off by all of the new, casual (in their minds) fans, like these new fans are somehow unworthy because they weren't with them all along. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 01:42:06 PM »
You know Kev.  I did have that attitude when I was a teen.  I was a big U2 fan and nobody would listen to them when I tried to play them Boy and October.  By the time the Unforgetable Fire came out everybody was a U2 fan at school and I gave it the old, "I'm a douchy snob" and never talked to others.  Then I here the Joshua Tree and I was like, "What they hell am I doing?"  They're great.  Who cares if people like them now.

What a young tool I was.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 01:46:05 PM »
Well, it can be frustrating if thes new fans of the more mainstream stuff refuse to give the older stuff a real try - I have met a handful of Genesis fans over the years who are oblivious to most of their material pre-1980 :facepalm - but what can you do?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 02:20:26 PM »

Amen to that. 

What's even more ridiculous are the fans who get all upset when a band they considered "theirs" when they were underground suddenly becomes really popular and they get turned off by all of the new, casual (in their minds) fans, like these new fans are somehow unworthy because they weren't with them all along.

There are lots of Coheed and Cambria fans who act like that.  I say "act" because there is a very loud minority of fans who say they've been listening to them since they were Shabutie (Claudio himself has made fun of these claims, saying "Shabutie didn't have any fans") and they only like their first two albums.   :lol

There are some DT fans who act like that towards those who just found out about them through Rock Band, and there are also a few fans who lament this inevitability (inevitability not guaranteed) whenever a new album makes the top ten or a song is put out on rock band or they get a grammy nomination.  Okay, that last one hasn't happened yet, but you watch.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 02:22:58 PM »
Well, it can be frustrating if thes new fans of the more mainstream stuff refuse to give the older stuff a real try - I have met a handful of Genesis fans over the years who are oblivious to most of their material pre-1980 :facepalm - but what can you do?

My wife *loves* Phil Collins and has seen him live a few times.

I played her some Collins-fronted Genesis from back in the day and she's like "What the fuck is this shit?"  :facepalm: :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 02:26:55 PM »

You mean 80% of the PT-fans on the board who still hasn't heard all their studio albums? :P
I know what you mean, while I try not to care about what other people think (it's all subjective), it can get frustrating when some people are just not willing to give some albums a shot, even if they "LOVE" other albums by the artist.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 03:29:46 PM »
Good music is good music, regardless of intent.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 03:55:45 PM »
Music I enjoy and music intended to be popular are not mutually exclusive. 

Though some popular music doesn't appeal to me, other popular music does. 

Depends on if it appeals to me.

Same for non-popular music. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 04:23:17 PM »
Good music is good music, regardless of intent.

Word  :hat

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 04:51:45 PM »
I would love to be able to say that intent doesn't matter to me, but it does sometimes.  I mostly listen to prog, but there's nothing wrong with a short catchy tune if it's well written and the guys can play.

What I don't like is when I really get the impression that the song was specifically crafted to be a radio hit.  The lyrics are lame, it has a distinctive hook, the structure is your standard AABA and out, and most of all, it's just not the same kind of song that that band would normally write.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 05:16:13 PM »
I would only say so in cases where it's all too obvious how much the song was manufactured, and that this schmuck wouldn't even have a record deal if s/he wasn't masturbation or teeny-bopping material. Like I can appreciate good pop: Michael Jackson and hell, even some Justin Timberlake...and I'll begrudgingly admit to owning some Totally Hits and Now! CDs from the early 00s and enjoying them thoroughly. But then there's bad pop by stupid, talentless assholes, and that I can't stand (Soulja Boy).
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 09:25:28 PM »
Amen to every word of the OP.
What's wrong with a band writing a song to appeal to a lot of people? If I like the song, then they've succeeded in their goal. And if I don't, then I move along. I can appreciate a poppy 3 minute rock song as much as I can appreciate a 20 minute DT epic.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 07:15:07 AM »
Amen to every word of the OP.
What's wrong with a band writing a song to appeal to a lot of people? If I like the song, then they've succeeded in their goal. And if I don't, then I move along. I can appreciate a poppy 3 minute rock song as much as I can appreciate a 20 minute DT epic.

Like the Beatles? (jk jk :p)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
I knew I should have added ".....as long as it's good" to the end of that paragraph :p
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.