Author Topic: A Hearty Winter Meal, step by step....  (Read 12450 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: A Hearty Winter Meal, step by step....
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 11:58:23 AM »
this... sounds... so... good
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2011, 12:31:28 PM »
Could you substitute chicken breast and chicken stock and get the same result?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2011, 02:04:37 PM »
You could make a good chicken soup with some minor modifications.  I don't think you would want it thick (chicken isn't for stew IMO), so use more stock.  Also, you would not want to use red wine.  I'm not up on my white wines, so I couldn't suggest one to use, just don't use the shit they sell as cooking wine at supermarkets.  Maybe its just me, but I'd leave the potato and turnip out, as I don't think the turnip complements chicken very well, and potato doesn't really seem like it belongs in chicken soup.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2011, 02:09:07 PM »
I would leave the potato in, actually.  PA folk make a "chicken pot pie" that's more of a chicken soup than a "pot pie".  Basically a brothy chicken soup with potatoes and big square egg noodles.  The potatoes are really excellent in it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2011, 03:09:14 PM »
You could make a good chicken soup with some minor modifications.  I don't think you would want it thick (chicken isn't for stew IMO), so use more stock.  Also, you would not want to use red wine.  I'm not up on my white wines, so I couldn't suggest one to use, just don't use the shit they sell as cooking wine at supermarkets.  Maybe its just me, but I'd leave the potato and turnip out, as I don't think the turnip complements chicken very well, and potato doesn't really seem like it belongs in chicken soup.

Allow me to translate

No, you can't.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2011, 05:11:25 PM »
I'm so making this.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012, 01:24:27 PM »
I would leave the potato in, actually.  PA folk make a "chicken pot pie" that's more of a chicken soup than a "pot pie".  Basically a brothy chicken soup with potatoes and big square egg noodles.  The potatoes are really excellent in it.

Can you post a recipe for that?

I think Lonestar should do a recipe of the month thread where he posts something like this that is yummy and easy every month for us.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012, 01:49:12 PM »

I think Lonestar should do a recipe of the month thread where he posts something like this that is yummy and easy every month for us.  :biggrin:

Ban him until he agrees.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2012, 02:33:20 PM »
Oh god, yes.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2012, 03:11:01 PM »

Ban him until he agrees.

You stay out of it.

I'll think about it, it's hard to do at work, cause I'm usually doing a bajillion things at once and hardly have time to stop and take pictures, and I never, ever, cook at home.  This one was done at my parents when I was on vacation.  I could do recipes with detailed descriptions, but the picture part would be tricky.  You cats cool with that?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2012, 03:21:38 PM »
Okay, look.  Here's your ultimatum.  Either post pics of the food, or naked pics of yourse--er...upon further reflection, I'm perfectly okay with no pics.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2012, 03:30:25 PM »
OK, taking request for the first recipe.  What do you guys want to learn to cook?

Some restrictions...
- stay away from most ethnic cuisines, except for Mexican, Italian, and French, I am pretty green at most other ethnic cuisines, my specialties lie in American classics
- If by some miracle, I will try to post pics(of the food, most of you don't want to see my flabbiness), but don't expect it

You think I should start a new thread or just edit this one?

I will try to decide on a recipe and post it tomorrow, if it works out and is well recieved, I will coninue it monthly, or maybe even weekly.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2012, 03:34:55 PM »
No specific requests from me.  I would just say it is probably better to stick with things that are easy to prepare and made with fairly common ingredients.

The stew was awesome for me because of those two factors, and because, while it isn't hard to figure out, it was something that we hadn't really made before.  (i.e., it wasn't just:  "Here's how to grill a steak")

And I totally get what you are saying about pics.  But if you can, so much more the awesome, even if it is only a quick pic of the initial ingredients and one of the final product that are just taken from your phone or something. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2012, 03:41:04 PM »
No, let's not sugarcoat it...lonestar, you post pics or no bacon for you ahahahahaha

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2012, 04:17:25 PM »

I'll find it and post.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 04:44:36 PM »
No, let's not sugarcoat it...lonestar, you post pics or no bacon for you ahahahahaha

*takes bacon out of mouth*

What?

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 07:02:09 PM »
Here's a somewhat hearty recipe that I like:
1 cup mung beans
 3 cups water
 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
 1/2 lb. pork, sliced
 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
 1 onion, chopped
 2 tomatoes, chopped
 5-8 med shrimp (optional)
 2 cups broth or water
 1 tbsp. fish sauce
 1 cup spinach or bitter melon leaves
 salt to taste

1) Boil beans in the 3 cups of water until their green shells break open and they become soft. Can take 30-40 mins; quicker in pressure cooker; drain and set aside
2) Heat oil in pan & lightly brown pork
3) Add onions, garlic, tomato; cook until tomatoes slightly wilted
4) stir in shrimp if you're using it & cook 1-2 mins
5) pour in the thing of broth/water and add beans
6) season w/ fish sauce and/or salt [imo, it's tasted fantastic every time and I've never added the salt]
7) add spinach or bitter melon leaves and stir it up

Shamelessly stolen from a webpage of Filipino cooking; I've made it with lamb instead of pork and thought it tasted fantastic then too.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2012, 08:09:37 AM »
This thread must have gotten into my head more than I realized.  I dreamed last night that I was on Iron Chef America.  My sou chef was...the Chairman!  (which was great, until halfway through the round when he finished one of the dishes he was working on, and then decided to just sit on my couch and watch tv)  For some reason, there was more than one secret ingredient, like on chopped.  The secret ingredients were mimosa-flavored popcorn, tamales, and ties (as in men's neckwear).  I woke up before we got to the judging, but I was up against Kat Cora, so I'm pretty sure I could have literally served crap on a plate and won.  Man, what I night.  I woke up tired, hungry, and somewhat weirded out.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2012, 08:11:40 AM »
 :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2012, 08:15:11 AM »
Mimosa flavored popcorn, that's fucking hysterical. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 08:21:16 AM »

If by "hysterical," you mean, " :eek I am SO going to try to figure out how to make that when I get to work later!" then, yes.  Admit it--you KNOW that's what you were thinking.  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2012, 08:22:55 AM »

If by "hysterical," you mean, " :eek I am SO going to try to figure out how to make that when I get to work later!" then, yes.   :lol

I wouldn't even know where to start, molecular gastronomy is so not my thing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2012, 08:25:50 AM »
Well, anyway, you'll be happy to know that I incorporated bacon into at least one of my dishes.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2012, 11:47:48 AM »
This thread must have gotten into my head more than I realized.  I dreamed last night that I was on Iron Chef America.  My sou chef was...the Chairman!  (which was great, until halfway through the round when he finished one of the dishes he was working on, and then decided to just sit on my couch and watch tv)  For some reason, there was more than one secret ingredient, like on chopped.  The secret ingredients were mimosa-flavored popcorn, tamales, and ties (as in men's neckwear).  I woke up before we got to the judging, but I was up against Kat Cora, so I'm pretty sure I could have literally served crap on a plate and won.  Man, what I night.  I woke up tired, hungry, and somewhat weirded out.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2012, 12:03:03 PM »
nom nom nom I may have to try this! Not sure I have an adequate pot though.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2012, 12:28:23 PM »
I have an excellent dumpling recipe.
I also would add that in my stew we use either top, or tip (sirloin) it's a better cut that typical stewing beef which can be anything from flank to shank. Top and Tip aren't the best but we marinade over night in brown sugar, soy sauce garlic salt mix. Add the whole thing to your stew broth to zing it more.

mrs.spidey also sweats alot of her veggies first so they don't mushy up in the cooking process.

if anyone wants me to post the dumpling instructions, let me know.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2012, 12:43:23 PM »
OK, taking request for the first recipe.  What do you guys want to learn to cook?

Okay...soup beans (pinto beans) and skillet fried cornbread. My favorite food on this planet we call Earth.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »

If by "hysterical," you mean, " :eek I am SO going to try to figure out how to make that when I get to work later!" then, yes.  Admit it--you KNOW that's what you were thinking.  :lol

I can instantly think of two ways to go about it, but obviously haven't tried either out yet:

1) Spray method:

-Make a sufficient amount of mimosa for all the popcorn you intend on flavoring (or a generous amount to make sure you have enough since the leftovers can easily be drank  :tup)

-Reduce over very low heat until it's as thick as it can be while still being able to easily travel through the trigger component of a spray bottle (the very moment you think you're even close to this, pour just enough of it into the bottle so it can be sprayed and test it out.) This reduction should make it richer, cook off the alcohol, and eliminate enough fluid to keep it from making the popcorn soggy.

-Have the popcorn cooked and waiting in a bowl early enough that it'll surely be ready and waiting to be sprayed with the mimosa the instant it's ready since the longer the mimosa reduction has to cool, the greater a chance it has to be thick enough to clog the sprayer and reheating it to try to make it thinner may be pissing in the wind since it has the two disadvantages of a) reducing even more fluid out of it thus making it thicker and b) causing the reduction to separate.

-Spray enough of it over the top surface of the bowl of popcorn to generously coat it. Using a large serving spoon and a folding motion, move the popcorn from the bottom of the bowl to the top part and spray this new layer generously as well and, if necessary, repeat this until all the popcorn is coated to your liking.

2) Glaze method:

-Reduce mimosa over very low heat but to a near-honey consistency but taste it frequently to make sure the sugar in it isn't burning (this is where I can't stress "VERY LOW HEAT" emphatically enough.)

-Once you have it at that glaze consistency, be prepared to immediately remove it from heat and use it since staying on the heat too long can burn the sugar and letting it cool for too long may make it impossibly thick to work with and reheating may cause it to separate. I recommend having the bowl of popcorn nearby and cooked in advance to avoid these issues.

-using a cooking brush (basically like the one in the photo below), dip it into a small amount of the glaze and let it drain off the end of the brush for a few seconds before going over the popcorn to avoid leaving a wad of goo on the popcorn. Using a brisk, side-to-side motion, go from one end of the bowl to the other so you get some even, zig zag coverage and then, using that same folding motion with a serving spoon mentioned earlier in the spray method's instructions, keep bringing new layers of popcorn to the surface and coating them until all of the popcorn is coated to your liking.

ALLEZ CUISINE!!!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2012, 03:38:01 PM »

I've seen pictures of you, your pot looks adequate

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2012, 03:39:18 PM »

I've seen pictures of you, your pot looks adequate

holy crap ahahaha  :rollin

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2012, 03:42:17 PM »
 :rollin

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2012, 03:56:45 PM »
 :rollin

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2012, 08:03:30 PM »
At lonestar: If you can't get the turnips, what would you substitute it with?

What other herbs would you add if the ones you used are not available?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2012, 08:28:06 PM »
Weed.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »

Some restrictions...
- stay away from most ethnic cuisines, except for Mexican, Italian, and French, I am pretty green at most other ethnic cuisines, my specialties lie in American classics
- If by some miracle, I will try to post pics(of the food, most of you don't want to see my flabbiness), but don't expect it

You think I should start a new thread or just edit this one?

I will try to decide on a recipe and post it tomorrow, if it works out and is well recieved, I will coninue it monthly, or maybe even weekly.
I'd like to try something with noodles, and with an oriental touch. And I'd like it to be really nourishing and filling, like the stew, something that you can eat and feel full without needing anything else.