Author Topic: DT Nominated for a Grammy Award!  (Read 36588 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: DT Nominated for a Grammy Award!
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2011, 09:28:58 AM »
Pretty sweet!

Steven Wilson also got nominated for Best Surround Sound Album! :)

Also, plenty of other good artists got nominated this year as well: Radiohead, Mumford and Sons, Wilco, Jeff Beck, Coldplay, Foo Fighters, The Decemberists, Fleet Foxes, Death Cab, etc.

The Grammys stink, but it is at least still nice to see recognition for some great artists!

Offline Lotion

« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2011, 09:29:41 AM »
From what I've read, the Grammy Awards is on February 12th and Dream Theater will be playing in Esch-sur-Alzette, LUX that day. If they win, I wonder who will be there to accept the award.

MP  :justjen  ... No, Seriously.. Probably someone in the management, including an acceptance video.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2011, 09:34:05 AM »
By the way - Mastadon SUCKS.  Not their music (although I don't like their music, either), but them as people.  Someone posted on my Facebook wall an interview in which they totally ragged on DT, saying that DT's clothes are "gay" and that they have a "little Chinese girl playing bass."  That band is a bunch of losers.  Even if DT weren't nominated, I'd want them to lose. 

I just read that interview. Ugh. Mastodon write great music, but Brent Hinds is a prick.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2011, 09:57:43 AM »
By the way - Mastadon SUCKS.  Not their music (although I don't like their music, either), but them as people.  Someone posted on my Facebook wall an interview in which they totally ragged on DT, saying that DT's clothes are "gay" and that they have a "little Chinese girl playing bass."  That band is a bunch of losers.  Even if DT weren't nominated, I'd want them to lose. 

I just read that interview. Ugh. Mastodon write great music, but Brent Hinds is a prick.

https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m1370006-p5.aspx
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2011, 10:30:42 AM »
From what I've read, the Grammy Awards is on February 12th and Dream Theater will be playing in Esch-sur-Alzette, LUX that day. If they win, I wonder who will be there to accept the award.

MP  :justjen  ... No, Seriously.. Probably someone in the management, including an acceptance video.
No.  The presenter would accept on their behalf, and they would get the award later.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2011, 10:33:50 AM »
I dunno guys, if Jeff Beck can win a grammy six times, I think DT have somewhat of a shot of actually winning this thing.
On the other hand, if Joe Satriani can lose 15 times out of 15 nominations... ;)

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2011, 10:34:57 AM »
the @dreamtheaternet tweet announcing the nomination was one of the top trending tweets worldwide earlier today

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2011, 10:52:16 AM »
The DT guys are really excited and psyched about this, so we should drop the lolgrammys shit because this actually means something to them. Maybe not to us, but whatever.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2011, 11:01:08 AM »
After so many years... Almost to good to be true, and i still think they are too good to get a grammy. Anyway i would love to see them get it.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2011, 11:06:44 AM »
Is there a way to get tickets to the Grammy event?  I'm in NY, but maybe some California fans might want to go and support the band decked out in DT gear. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2011, 11:12:47 AM »
I'm not intentionally picking on any specific person with this, but I think it's extremely humorous how everyone says things like:

They'll never be nominated because the Grammys are just a pop music circle jerk.
I'm all for DT getting more publicity and reaching a higher echelon of success, but I'd rather it be in a more dignified way.
Source

Grammys are garbage.
Source

DT could be nominated for a sound award like Porcupine Tree, but it's very unlikely they'll win one of the big awards.

Except that DT's stuff never "sounds" even close to as good as PT's does. :p

But yeah, the Grammys blow.  I am pretty sure most knowledgeable music fans know this.
Source

What's wrong with the Grammys? Is it just something cool for prog snobs to hate?

Not.  It's something shitty that everyone should hate.
Source

Honestly, I couldn't care less about DT winning a Grammy or getting nominated for it.
Source

Grammys are garbage.

This.  There's no way that DT could suck bad enough to win a grammy.  :lol
Source

The people who are involved with the Grammys are totally clueless, and always have been. Nothing but rap and crap.
Source

BEFORE Dream Theater gets nominated, then, once Dream Theater gets nominated, well, see:  This Thread  :lol

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2011, 11:17:22 AM »
My pants were, indeed, tight when i heard the news about the Grammys.

Im really happy for the guys!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2011, 11:33:22 AM »
I'll tell you this, this will be the ONLY reason I watch the grammys this year.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Knguro

« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2011, 11:34:53 AM »
The only thing that im curious about I that, would they be at the ceremony? If I'm not mistaking they will be on tour around those dates.  ???
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2011, 11:57:06 AM »

BEFORE Dream Theater gets nominated, then, once Dream Theater gets nominated, well, see:  This Thread  :lol

I think most here would still agree that the Grammys blow.  It's just nice to see DT and other artists some of us like get some recognition.  If a nomination gets some people who only pay attention to what's on the radio and awards shows to check out DT and they get new fans because of it, that is a good thing.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2011, 12:01:30 PM »

I think most here would still agree that the Grammys blow.  It's just nice to see DT and other artists some of us like get some recognition.  If a nomination gets some people who only pay attention to what's on the radio and awards shows to check out DT and they get new fans because of it, that is a good thing.

Yes yes yes exactly this!
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2011, 12:03:23 PM »
Fantastic news, might be the only reason to watch 10 minutes of the Grammy's this year.

And White Limo? Really? Of all the songs on that album?

• EB
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2011, 12:04:17 PM »
Has anyone here even heard OTBOA on the radio?

Better question: doesn't anyone here even listen to the radio?
haha
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:30:54 PM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »
Uh, what is this "radio" thing of which you speak? :laugh: ;D

So excited for the guys--I almost didn't believe it when I first heard it last night. :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2011, 01:30:54 PM »
I'm not intentionally picking on any specific person with this, but I think it's extremely humorous how everyone says things like:

The Grammys have gone seriously downhill in the past 20 years, and most people who listen to anything other than radio-friendly schlock know that, thus we tend to rag on The Grammys, those who nominate and vote, and the whole process.

This does not change the fact that it will still bring some recognition to Dream Theater, which is a good thing, and it was quite a surprise that they would actually be nominated.

Also, note that most comments in this thread, when mentioning The Grammys, still consider them pretty much a joke and a popularity contest, so that hasn't really changed.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2011, 01:36:33 PM »

Yeah, I know, I was just being a wise ass.  I know, I know...hard to believe...ME being a wise ass  :P

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2011, 01:40:19 PM »
I don't mean to over think things, but why do you think "On the Backs of Angels" is the song to finally get DT a nomination?  What is it about this song and the current state of the music industry that resulted in "OTBoA" getting a nod?  In short, my question is: Why now and why "OTBoA"?

I'm obviously thrilled for DT's nomination.  I'm just trying to get a better grasp on the rationale behind it because I'm annoying like that.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2011, 01:46:29 PM »
Actually, I was wondering the same thing.  How in the heck did they even cop a nomination, and why this song?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2011, 01:58:30 PM »
I enjoy the Grammys...I think they're fun. *shrug* Anyway, there's always a chance DT could win. Last year some random-ass jazz bassist/songwriter nobody ever heard of won Best New Artist over Bieber.

I do think Curl of the Burl is the best song in that list, though.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2011, 02:06:35 PM »
I don't mean to over think things, but why do you think "On the Backs of Angels" is the song to finally get DT a nomination?  What is it about this song and the current state of the music industry that resulted in "OTBoA" getting a nod?  In short, my question is: Why now and why "OTBoA"?

I'm obviously thrilled for DT's nomination.  I'm just trying to get a better grasp on the rationale behind it because I'm annoying like that.
Anomalies like the random-ass jazz musician aside, the Grammys truly are a popularity contest, and DT has recently found some sort of popularity among the mainstream crowd (Rock Band and whatnot). So, DT has just kind of been sitting in metal America's collective consciousness for a while, especially with the controversy surrounding MP, and with OTBOA, we have a strong single that really shows what DT is all about.

In short: DT is becoming a bit cooler and a bit more universally respected and the folks at the Grammys decided to give DT their dues.

• EB
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2011, 02:12:10 PM »
The music industry in general.

Bands now a days
The Grammys
MTV
Rolling Stone Magazine
The crap that's on the radio
Downloading
CD stores are disappearing

RIP - the music industry.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2011, 02:29:21 PM »

Wow, that's actually majorly disappointing. I always thought they were really cool, down to earth guys.

Bands now a days
The Grammys
MTV
Rolling Stone Magazine
Downloading

wat
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

• EB
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2011, 03:03:17 PM »

Bands now a days
The Grammys
MTV
Rolling Stone Magazine
Downloading

wat
Sorry, that was directed toward the conversation up there about how the Grammys have gone downhill over the last few years.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2011, 03:39:55 PM »

Why now is simple -- DT's popularity has grown tremendously over the years, they are on a big label for this genre of music (hard rock/heavy metal), and this genre of music is more accessible these days in comparison to the past, given online media, ways to watch videos and of course, XM satellite radio.

Why OtBoA? -- I know it is like your fourth or fifth favorite, but it garnered a lot of attention because of all the drama with MP leaving. I also think it's a good song, very friendly to mainstream listeners to a degree, etc.

But trying to figure out the rationale of the Grammy Award nominators can you drive you crazy. But the above is likely a couple of factors.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

• EB
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2011, 07:23:22 PM »

Why now is simple -- DT's popularity has grown tremendously over the years, they are on a big label for this genre of music (hard rock/heavy metal), and this genre of music is more accessible these days in comparison to the past, given online media, ways to watch videos and of course, XM satellite radio.

Why OtBoA? -- I know it is like your fourth or fifth favorite, but it garnered a lot of attention because of all the drama with MP leaving. I also think it's a good song, very friendly to mainstream listeners to a degree, etc.

But trying to figure out the rationale of the Grammy Award nominators can you drive you crazy. But the above is likely a couple of factors.
Also, the whole MP thing probably turned A LOT of A7X fans onto DT.. and in case no one noticed.. A7X has A LOT of fans.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2011, 09:39:10 PM »
To me the Grammys  mean absolutely nothing, but I understand the commercial implications of this and hope DT end up winning, and I'm sure to them it means something so congrats to the band.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2011, 10:47:38 PM »
This will be fun to see on TV when they do this category
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline lithium112

« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2011, 12:44:14 AM »
I just saw the Reddit thread about DT's nomination. The comments are... I just wanna yell at most of them  :lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/progmetal/comments/mwc8v/dream_theater_has_been_nominated_for_their_first/

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2011, 01:28:26 AM »
I have the opportunity to go to the Grammys this year. Might be worth it :metal:

To me the Grammys  mean absolutely nothing, but I understand the commercial implications of this and hope DT end up winning, and I'm sure to them it means something so congrats to the band.

This ^
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2011, 07:50:14 AM »
This will be fun to see on TV when they do this category

I'd be SHOCKED if this award is awarded on television.  I thought I read somewhere that rock alone isn't given much attention anymore at this shindig, and as such, it is hard to imagine them dedicating two minutes to an award on hard rock/metal.  It will likely be one of those awards that the winner is mentioned while they gloss over another handful or so of awards that also aren't getting awarded on the telecast.