Author Topic: Need suggestions for a band name.  (Read 1179 times)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Need suggestions for a band name.
« on: November 29, 2011, 11:13:48 PM »
So, I've been in too many bands with shitty names. I'm starting my own progressive blues-metal band (think Dream Theater meets Badlands) and I think it calls for a kick ass name, don't you? Well, you would if you heard some of the songs I've written for it (and I mean that in a totally non-arrogant way, seriously). So please, I'd really appreciate some kick ass name suggestions. And try to keep them serious. I don't want any "Plastic Jesus that Glows in the Dark on the Dashboard of My Car!". Thanks guys.  :metal
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Need suggestions for a band name.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:16:57 AM »
I've always been partial to single-word band names, such as Queen, Rush, Yes etc. I don't like the ones that are too descriptive, e.g. Dream Theater , Avenged Sevenfold, or those really long ones like Godspeed ...

On a sidenote however, it is always funny to observe how bands spend hours trying to find a band name, whereas up until your first gig, the band name is totally useless.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:45:42 AM »
I always go here for suggestions.  There's a lot of completely ridiculous ones, and sometimes you find some decent ones.  Just keep refreshing for a new list of names.  Apparently they have a database of tons of different words, and have certain formulas for plugging them in together to make band names.  Amusing.

https://www.elsewhere.org/journal/bandname/

My favorite completely off the wall band name from this site was "Ziggy Turgidson and the Hong Kong Devils".  Like I said though, you will stumble across something cool here and there.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:08:51 AM »
I've always been partial to single-word band names, such as Queen, Rush, Yes etc. I don't like the ones that are too descriptive, e.g. Dream Theater , Avenged Sevenfold, or those really long ones like Godspeed ...

On a sidenote however, it is always funny to observe how bands spend hours trying to find a band name, whereas up until your first gig, the band name is totally useless.

rumborak

I prefer shorter names too, although it makes it more difficult to come up with something entirely unique, especially if it's a one word. And also a one word band name of a real existing word like "Rush" or "KISS" would be problematic for trying to Google your band and establish yourself (of course I'm jumping the gun by a huge amount here, but I'm optimistic and like to think ahead). Made up words are good, as long as they're not phonetically impossible for anyone to pronounce.
Two words is good for a band name. Anything more than that and you are in danger of getting into the silly pretentious sounding names that seem to be very popular these days with certain genres of metal/prog/indie.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:52:15 AM »
And for God's sake, whatever you do, DON'T think it's trendy or hip to purposely misspell common words, to make a cool band name out of it.  Everytime, EVERY TIME, I tell people at gigs to check out our facebook page, I have to spell it out for them.  Brokin Cyrcle - Brokin with an "I" and Cyrcle with a "Y" (I wasn't in the band when the name was born, otherwise I'd have raged).  You want something that you do not have to spoon feed someone before they can look you up.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 12:52:29 PM »
Well the guy I've got to play drums in this band and I been throwing a few ideas around here and there and here's what we've come up with,

Tripper
Lowlands
Vigorcore (Was the name of my friends WOW character before he died. I think it sounds way too death metaly though.)
Courage & Carnage
The Rebel Alliance

I like these, but I just feel like the right name will just click with me, you know?

And I totally understand what you mean rumborak about the name only really being necessary when we've got our first gig, but the thing is, we're gonna demo those songs I mentioned, hopefully sometime next week, and I wanted to make a youtube account and a Facebook 'like' page and upload them to show my friends and stuff, so I kinda wanted to have a name for that stuff. And also when I go to audition a singer/bass player/keyboard player, I kinda wanna have a name to make it seem like we've got something going on and we're not just two dudes saying we're putting together a band (even though technically we are), does that make sense?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:25:09 AM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 02:58:45 PM »
When we were trying to figure out a name for our band I found Thesaurus.com very helpful for finding unique words.