Poll

Which option best describes how you feel about A7X?

I like them
50 (45.5%)
Indifferent
28 (25.5%)
I dislike them because the whole Mike Portnoy thing left a bad taste in my mouth
2 (1.8%)
I dislike them for reasons unrelated to Mike Portnoy
30 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Author Topic: An Avenged Sevenfold poll  (Read 6574 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: An Avenged Sevenfold poll
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2011, 05:13:03 PM »
It's not really offense, more like "What the fuck?  Back off.  Why are you swearing at me?"

I mean, I get it, it's a nightmare.  It's my nightmare.  Saying IT'S MY FUCKING NIGHTMARE! adds nothing, and yes it does sound like they included "fucks" because they could get away with it.

It's like in that one TransAtlantic concert, when Portnoy says "Nothing but motherfucking epics tonight!"  Okay, you're excited, you're Portnoy and thus have no filter between your brain and your mouth, but come on dude, there is such thing as conducting yourself with a certain decorum.  I heard that and literally thought to myself "What a fucking asshole!" so I'm pretty sure the profanity itself wasn't the issue.  It's that it just wasn't necessary.

I love ya orby, but for someone who uses "fuck" regularly in your posts, you don't leave yourself a very solid leg to stand on when giving others guff about their f-bombery.

I think what he's saying is that it is inappropriate or stupid/immature sounding in that particular context
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2011, 05:16:15 PM »
Well I can certainly understand the grey area angle with recorded material since that's the only way it'll ever be heard once it's recorded that way but one-off cursing when addressing a crowd of people whom are neither majority-underage nor there for music of a religious sort seems quite harmless.

Also, how many posts are you gonna dock me if I make a "w00t! 5000th post!" thread?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2011, 05:30:08 PM »
I see your point, but I still think there's a difference.  I was having trouble figuring out exactly what that difference is, but oddly enough, you seem to have nailed it.  It's the difference between a one-off and committing it to a recording.  A TransAtlantic concert isn't exactly a religious event, but Portnoy's "motherfucking epics" remark still seemed out of place.  It was meant to convey a certain emphasis I suppose, just as profanity is when used in normal conversation.  But on the A7X song, it really just sounds to me like they're doing it just to do it.  The song is heavy and emotional, so I guess it's not really out of place, but I think the music carries the emotion just fine.  Why go over the top?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2011, 05:31:26 PM »

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »
I rather like avenged sevenfold (mainly their older stuff). Above average musicianship and frequently superb song writing. They just have some  songs that are so meh though that I can't rank them that high as a band :/

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2011, 07:33:35 PM »
I like them, they were in Australia in August, great concert!  :)
I work with a guy who is a huge fan...He had a pic of them as his screensaver looks like a backstage hug before a gig but because tattoos are featured heavily he was told it was inappropriate...  ::)

apparently my recent DT pic with them all in the cool lounge is deemed appropriate  :smiley:

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2011, 05:32:52 AM »
I like them, they were in Australia in August, great concert!  :)
I work with a guy who is a huge fan...He had a pic of them as his screensaver looks like a backstage hug before a gig but because tattoos are featured heavily he was told it was inappropriate...  ::)

That the pic?

Offline indalo

« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2011, 09:30:31 AM »
I like them. They are not obviously my favourite band or musical style but I think A7X is a band that has evolved very well and they are managing to have a very personal sound. I'm looking forward to hearing his new album.

Once again... sorry for my bad english  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:54:04 AM by indalo »
Sorry for my bad english!

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2011, 09:46:12 AM »
They're fun, and high energy but their music has no staying power.
Unfortunate.

This I have to add...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2011, 09:49:02 AM »
Not a fan at all.  And it has nada to do with Portnoy.

I agree with Orbert regarding the f-bombs.  It is all about context.  I also thought the repeated f-bombs on the Yellow Matter Custard DVD were totally uncalled for as well, and because of them, I've never shown my parents that DVD.  Being huge Beatles fans, I know they'd enjoy the covers, but I know they wouldn't want to hear all of those unnecessary f-bombs in between every other song that come out of Portnoy's mouth.  Oh well.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2011, 10:20:27 AM »
sorry for slightly derailing the thread but..... every time I see this thread... I read it as... 'An Avenged Sevenpoll'.... I think the name of the band is ruined for me forever  :lol

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2011, 10:39:10 AM »
i like this band.

i discovered them during the city of evil era. saw them live and they were bad......................
didnt listen to them again until the self-titled came out which blew me away. im in the minority but thats my favorite A7X album. The Rev's vocals are just awesome and unique. saw them again on that tour and they were great. major improvement.
Nightmare is alright, but i got chills listening to Fiction, and Save Me is one of their best as well.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2011, 12:24:03 PM »

Reasons being: I don't like their music and the singer is annoying.

+1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2011, 09:58:53 PM »
I likEd them before portnoy and I hope to like them going forward (I'm assuming they continue to make good music)

Kosmo

« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2011, 03:14:53 AM »

Exactly this.

also, ''A7X''... Something about that just grinds my gears.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2011, 05:35:49 AM »
most people saying they dislike these guys probably haven't even heard "Save Me," "Sidewinder," "M.I.A.," or "Strength of the World."

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2011, 07:59:43 AM »
most people saying they dislike these guys probably haven't even heard "Save Me," "Sidewinder," "M.I.A.," or "Strength of the World."

Yeah, I'm pretty certain all the negative people only bash them because they are popular right now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2011, 08:01:52 AM »

Yeah, I'm pretty certain all the negative people only bash them because they are popular right now.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain that you have no basis to say that.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2011, 08:21:36 AM »
Prove me wrong.

The fact that anybody who actually listens to them always changes their mind helps as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2011, 08:34:39 AM »
The burden of proof, as always, is on the accuser.  That's you, not me.

But here ya go: I have listened to them, and I don't like them at all. 

Poof.  There goes your argument. 

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2011, 08:55:56 AM »
Exception that proves the rule.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2011, 08:56:37 AM »
I like them. Seen them live. They're an alright band. Nothing special, but not bad.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2011, 08:57:12 AM »
Exception that proves the rule.
??? That's not what that means at all.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2011, 08:58:30 AM »
Still no proof, ZKX.  Do you understand what constitutes proof?

Your earlier post reeks of, "I think this band is great, and I refuse to accept that anyone could listen to them and not like them, so I will use some lame 'people only hate on them because they are popular' line." 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2011, 09:01:57 AM »

Your earlier post reeks of, "I think this band is great, and I refuse to accept that anyone could listen to them and not like them, so I will use some lame 'people only hate on them because they are popular' line." 

This exactly.  ZKX, take that somewhere else. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2011, 09:20:44 AM »
As far as people judging them unfairly goes, I think there's actually some merit to that. The problem is, it's kinda hard for people to forget their image and their attitude. They may be doing great things now, but just a few years ago they were like the premier mall-goth band. Now they're just like a rock/metal band that likes to go out, play, and party. Which I can, at least, understand and respect (although their 24/7 party lifestyle wound up killing one of their members, something I genuinely wonder if they've actually taken to heart).

To answer the original question- I like them, sort of. Nightmare isn't that good of an album, but it does have some fantastic highs. Likewise, City of Evil is a very solid record. Them having taken on Portnoy had nothing to do with me liking them, and while it would have been a good opportunity for him I  don't think it would have really worked in the long-term on any level.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2011, 02:05:05 PM »
Just a quick point-- they've matured a ton since Jimmy's death, and people who judge them based on their old, 2003 image are just looking for reasons to hate on them, rather than find a legitimate reason. Once again, listen to any of their longer, more technical songs that aren't "singles" and I'm sure you won't be like "OH GEEZ THIS IS SO BAD." I Won't See You Tonight pt. 1 is an excellent example.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2011, 02:12:14 PM »
I only like specific songs so I'm going to say dislike for reasons unrelated to Mike.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2011, 04:13:14 PM »
I used to listen to them a lot, but I eventually realized that they weren't all that great (to me) and I moved on.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2011, 04:35:13 PM »
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »
Good song and good performance but AHHHHH the editing.

Gotta switch camera every 0.5 seconds.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »

That. That's my reason.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2011, 08:30:10 AM »

This exactly.  ZKX, take that somewhere else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2011, 09:12:57 AM »
If their music comes on when I'm listening to the radio in my car, I don't change the station. Which probably means I have a generally favorable opinion of them, because I change stations like crazy. But I don't like them enough to purchase any of their music and spend "real" listening time on them.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2011, 07:05:36 PM »
Didn't like them before Portnoy and nothing that has happened since that time did anything to change my opinion of them.