Poll

Which option best describes how you feel about A7X?

I like them
50 (45.5%)
Indifferent
28 (25.5%)
I dislike them because the whole Mike Portnoy thing left a bad taste in my mouth
2 (1.8%)
I dislike them for reasons unrelated to Mike Portnoy
30 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Author Topic: An Avenged Sevenfold poll  (Read 6570 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: An Avenged Sevenfold poll
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 06:09:40 AM »
I bought City of Evil a while back -long before their drummer died and Portnoy hooked up with them- I thought it was...OK.....but the vocals were a pretty huge turn off.  I never bothered to check out any more of their stuff after that, and I doubt I ever will.  Just not really my cuppa

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 06:11:17 AM »
Where's the "I love them" option? First band I ever got into, so I've loved them ever since.

Album ranking goes like this:

City of Evil
Waking the Fallen / Nightmare
Avenged Sevenfold
STST

Also, for people who are in doubt of the band's talent or whatnot, please listen to "Sidewinder" from City of Evil. It's one of the greatest songs I've ever heard.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2011, 07:41:50 AM »
I really don't care for them. The songs they have on Rock Band are fun to play, but I could never see myself actually listening to them. The guitar players are horribly overrated, the singer's pretty annoying, and the drummer is one of the greatest examples of "Oh man, he died young. HE WAS FUCKING AMAZING." Is it still too soon to say that?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2011, 07:50:05 AM »
Everyone said he was a good drummer before he died though...

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 08:01:34 AM »
I never heard anything about it until he died.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2011, 08:10:13 AM »
I've only heard their songs on the radio and don't mind them... but I'm also not actively searching for their music. So I picked indifferent.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 08:27:05 AM »
>not on DTF
>no one is talking about it

Offline jsem

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2011, 08:28:13 AM »
Like some of their stuff, but I don't really care - I feel kind of indifferent about them.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »
>not on DTF
>no one is talking about it
>implying DTF is the only site that I use to discuss music with people

Besides, A7X was a fairly popular band, and I never heard anyone say they liked them because of the drumming.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2011, 08:40:01 AM »
I would say it was quite rare for someone to like a band because of the drumming.

I've definitely seen plenty of people talk about how good a drummer he was well before he died. Particularly from people who actually listened to them.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2011, 08:41:11 AM »
I'm wavering between the first 2 options.  I like what I've heard from them, but I've only heard a handful of songs, and haven't actively sought out more. 

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2011, 08:45:15 AM »
I would say it was quite rare for someone to like a band because of the drumming.

I've definitely seen plenty of people talk about how good a drummer he was well before he died. Particularly from people who actually listened to them.
Fair play. I could have worded that better. I've never really heard anybody compliment him before his death, though I suppose I wasn't really looking for it.

Offline emtee

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2011, 09:09:36 AM »
Bought the album before Nightmare and spun it many times trying to 'like' it but didn't so I gave the CD away. Decided to
give them another try just because I thought MP might add a new dimension. Tried to spin it many times but didn't connect
again. Some cool riffs but don't like the vocals at all.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2011, 09:16:26 AM »

Fair play. I could have worded that better. I've never really heard anybody compliment him before his death, though I suppose I wasn't really looking for it.
You definitely weren't. I posted a bunch of times my feelings on Rev on the old A7X thread before the crash.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2011, 10:59:05 AM »
Lame and Portnoy playing with them is a disgrace. He may as well have joined backstreet boys
Good post.

Anyway, I really like Waking The Fallen and City of Evil. Nightmare was okay, I guess but it was definitely an improvement over their self titled album.
So how does it feel to know that someone's kid
in the heart of America has blood on their hands
fighting to defend your rights
so you can maintain a lifestyle
that insults his very existence?
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2011, 10:59:38 AM »
Day ruined.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2011, 11:01:20 AM »
:neverusethis:
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2011, 01:04:49 PM »
Where's an option for kind of like them?  I like the first half of Nightmare and some other songs by them, but the rest is really lukewarm, also most of their fanbase is utter elitist shit who think they know metal.  When I was in highschool, all the "metul" kids wearing A7X listened to them and whatever rock band on the radio was popular at the moment.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2011, 01:38:25 PM »
YOUR FUCKING NIGHTMARE!

I'm not personally offended by profanity -- I actually use it a bit in everyday speech -- but having it so prominently placed in a song that actually gets airplay just screams arrogance and immaturity to me.  Sure, dress up and have funny stage names, none of that matters when I listen to your music, but don't scream profanities at me.  I don't remember doing anything to warrant it.

So I don't like them, but it has nothing to do with Mike Portnoy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2011, 01:47:15 PM »
Funny you mention that because, for me, that's really the only major stumbling block I have with their stuff.  If the language were cleaned up, I probably would be way more into their music.  As it is now, I have to always just say, "Yeah, I like them, BUT..." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2011, 01:48:16 PM »
Indifferent.
to quote Mike himself (when he was referring to Creed at the time) Here today, Gone today.

I went through my own A7X phase. They're fun, and high energy but their music has no staying power.
Unfortunate.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2011, 02:00:30 PM »
Indifferent.
to quote Mike himself (when he was referring to Creed at the time) Here today, Gone today.

I went through my own A7X phase. They're fun, and high energy but their music has no staying power.
Unfortunate.

Yeah, and in my opinion they used Mike's name and (perhaps unintentionally, although I'm sure they knew what they were doing) the death of their drummer to promote their album. Pretty weak if you ask me.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2011, 02:07:36 PM »
I don't know if that's fair.  Obviously the rest of the band couldn't help it if The Rev died, and they certainly were justified in their decision to carry on with the tour, and made an excellent choice in getting Mike to replace him on the first leg.  It was the media that made a huge deal out of all of it, as the media always seems to do.  The band themselves were very quiet about the whole thing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2011, 02:12:22 PM »
Yeah, and in my opinion they used Mike's name and (perhaps unintentionally, although I'm sure they knew what they were doing) the death of their drummer to promote their album.

And?  I hear DT used Mike Mangini's name to promote their album.  In fact, I've heard a nasty rumor that they even made a video of his audition (ohnoes!).  Problem?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• EB
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2011, 02:15:17 PM »
I don't know if that's fair.  Obviously the rest of the band couldn't help it if The Rev died, and they certainly were justified in their decision to carry on with the tour, and made an excellent choice in getting Mike to replace him on the first leg.  It was the media that made a huge deal out of all of it, as the media always seems to do.  The band themselves were very quiet about the whole thing.
I know what you're saying about the media and stuff, but the band was anything but quiet about it all. But maybe that's just the way they cope with that sort of thing.

Slipknot on the other hand, they kept a really low profile (which must be hard considering the masks and such) when Paul Grey passed.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2011, 02:30:52 PM »
Well, uh, he died in the middle of making the album. They finished it for him, and the only way that was possible was to get someone to help them finish it, which turned out being MP because he was one of the Rev's favorite drummers. They didn't use the death to get album sales or anything like that, that's just an incredibly dumb and hateful thing to say.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »
the only way that was possible was to get someone to help them finish it, which turned out being MP because he was one of the Rev's favorite drummers
This

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2011, 03:26:06 PM »
Indifferent, I've heard very little and while it's not terrible, it certainly didn't interest me to check out more of their work.

• EB
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2011, 03:36:57 PM »
You guys just misunderstood what I was trying to say.

Just disregard my post.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2011, 03:52:30 PM »
YOUR FUCKING NIGHTMARE!

I'm not personally offended by profanity -- I actually use it a bit in everyday speech -- but having it so prominently placed in a song that actually gets airplay just screams arrogance and immaturity to me.  Sure, dress up and have funny stage names, none of that matters when I listen to your music, but don't scream profanities at me.  I don't remember doing anything to warrant it.

Those last few sentences actually make you sound like you're offended by their use of profanity. :lol  Also, how is cursing in a song that gets airplay suddenly arrogance and immaturity?  I don't get it.  Its not like the song got on the air and then they said "hey lets add some 'fucks' to it because we can get away with it!"   :P

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2011, 04:52:56 PM »
It's not really offense, more like "What the fuck?  Back off.  Why are you swearing at me?"

I mean, I get it, it's a nightmare.  It's my nightmare.  Saying IT'S MY FUCKING NIGHTMARE! adds nothing, and yes it does sound like they included "fucks" because they could get away with it.

It's like in that one TransAtlantic concert, when Portnoy says "Nothing but motherfucking epics tonight!"  Okay, you're excited, you're Portnoy and thus have no filter between your brain and your mouth, but come on dude, there is such thing as conducting yourself with a certain decorum.  I heard that and literally thought to myself "What a fucking asshole!" so I'm pretty sure the profanity itself wasn't the issue.  It's that it just wasn't necessary.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2011, 04:53:30 PM »
Hmm, so maybe it does have something to do with Portnoy.  Weird.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2011, 04:54:52 PM »
ITT: Orbert becomes aware.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2011, 05:10:44 PM »
It's not really offense, more like "What the fuck?  Back off.  Why are you swearing at me?"

I mean, I get it, it's a nightmare.  It's my nightmare.  Saying IT'S MY FUCKING NIGHTMARE! adds nothing, and yes it does sound like they included "fucks" because they could get away with it.

It's like in that one TransAtlantic concert, when Portnoy says "Nothing but motherfucking epics tonight!"  Okay, you're excited, you're Portnoy and thus have no filter between your brain and your mouth, but come on dude, there is such thing as conducting yourself with a certain decorum.  I heard that and literally thought to myself "What a fucking asshole!" so I'm pretty sure the profanity itself wasn't the issue.  It's that it just wasn't necessary.

I love ya orby, but for someone who uses "fuck" regularly in your posts, you don't leave yourself a very solid leg to stand on when giving others guff about their f-bombery.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »
Hmm, so maybe it does have something to do with Portnoy.  Weird.

:rollin

ITT: Orbert becomes aware.

:rollin